• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

Man, I don't usually enjoy the booking videos from WhatCulture, but the one for this year's Rumble was pretty interesting, not without its problems, but certainly a cool alternative to what ended up happening.

Roman was super over, people tend to forget that, watch his match against Orton at Summerslam 2014 and the crowd reaction is incredibly positive. The Rumble 2015 ruined him completely.

Well I think they could have saved him post Rumble 2015 but they kept digging instead.

Side note is Bray Wyatt the only guy to really survive a Cena feud?

Hang on. That's Cena's Mania match? A tag team with Nikki? (Against, I'm assuming, Nattie and... Dolph?)

I'm assuming it'll be against Miz and Maryse. Originally supposed to be against Dean and Renee but Renee still needs a ton more training before she's ever really able to do even a passable match.

I'm assuming it'll be against Miz and Maryse. Originally supposed to be against Dean and Renee but Renee still needs a ton more training before she's ever really able to do even a passable match.
Ughhhhhhhhhhh

I actually feel bad for the Miz. I recognise that Vince will put this high on the card for reasons, but the Miz has been working very hard this year, and I really think he's deserving of a chance to put on a showcase.

Obviously, the whole card is looking like it's going to be dismal, so I shouldn't be surprised.

UberTag

Daniel Bryan loving Baron Corbin right now.

Give him the match with Cena.
How about The Miz wins the World title at Elimination Chamber and defends it against Corbin at Mania?
Oh wait... Orton won the Rumble. So much for that idea.

Well, I suppose there's always the prospect of a football season championship run for Miz.

Hasney

Well I think they could have saved him post Rumble 2015 but they kept digging instead.

Side note is Bray Wyatt the only guy to really survive a Cena feud?

He'd still have had to go through Bryan at some point and the crowd would have turned on him then while getting sick of the mega push.

No need to feel sorry for Roman though. He said in an interview he likes it and it doesn't look like the push will ever stop regardless.

Lol I would really love to know what possessed them to book Daniel Bryan to have such an early and undramatic exit from the 2015 Rumble. It's so meaningless I forgot how early it was until rewatching it today.

Did they hope that getting it over with early would give fans time to get behind Roman? Lol

He'd still have had to go through Bryan at some point and the crowd would have turned on him then while getting sick of the mega push.

No need to feel sorry for Roman though. He said in an interview he likes it and it doesn't look like the push will ever stop regardless.

Maybe. Or they could have done a Bret/Luger finish since they had a Reigns/Bryan match for the title opportunity the next month anyway. Or had Bryan win it in controversial fashion and then hold up the title opportunity until the next month ppv match.

Or just hold his return until the next night

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Reigns turning heel makes sense now that Rollins is there and a face again, and a much much much much more over face at that.

Seth "I'm going to show up at your house and beat/murder your children" Rollins is a face?

Is there such a thing as a face anymore if he qualifies?

AndyVirus

Did they hope that getting it over with early would give fans time to get behind Roman? Lol
Everything Vince did with that Rumble was his insanely out-of-date method to get Roman over. I often wonder why they put Bryan in the Rumble (since he wasn't going to win) as you have to believe most of the staff knew it would backfire spectacularly.

Hasney

Everything Vince did with that Rumble was his insanely out-of-date method to get Roman over. I often wonder why they put Bryan in the Rumble (since he wasn't going to win) as you have to believe most of the staff knew it would backfire spectacularly.

Because the event was booed for Bryan not being in it at 2014, so if he wasn't going to win, they felt they had to get him out early. There were going to be boos regardless with Bryan not winning and Roman winning.

It's also a myth that it was just Daniel Bryan that the fans wanted.

Fans were behind Dolph Ziggler until they dropped him unceremoniously... they were also behind Ambrose.

Hasney

It's also a myth that it was just Daniel Bryan that the fans wanted.

Fans were behind Dolph Ziggler until they dropped him unceremoniously... they were also behind Ambrose.

Right, because anyone but Roman at that point. Like this year, Heath Slater would have got that Randy pop if he eliminated Roman.

Right, because anyone but Roman at that point. Like this year, Heath Slater would have got that Randy pop if he eliminated Roman.

They were behind Ziggler because of his Survivor Series work and feuding with Show/Kane and the Authority. Which is funny because those two were booked dominant to make Reigns eliminating them a huge pop moment which would have worked... for Ziggler

Because the event was booed for Bryan not being in it at 2014, so if he wasn't going to win, they felt they had to get him out early. There were going to be boos regardless with Bryan not winning and Roman winning.

It killed the match though. Crowd was hot until then.

If you're gonna kill the match do it at the end at least. Or like I said do a Bret/Luger or some sort of finish that gets you out if Philly at least with cheers

cordy

Banned
I hear that the Cena and Nikki/Miz and Maryse match might be Nikki's final match so if so, it's a great sendoff for her.

Also, look at this shit.
t3_5recfp

Y'all joke about Ambrose's hair? Look at this boy Corbin.

Hasney

It killed the match though. Crowd was hot until then.

If you're gonna kill the match do it at the end at least. Or like I said do a Bret/Luger or some sort of finish that gets you out if Philly at least with cheers

They legit thought there were going to be cheers at the end though and there probably was more chance of that than Bryan being eliminated near the end. FORGET ABOUT BRYAN, DA BIG DAWG WINS

rock-roman-reigns-celebration.gif

MG310

I was hoping that would be where they were going with Miz. Happy he might be getting a high profile Mania match for his work this year.

I guess this means Corbin vs. Ambrose or the two of them in an 8 man clusterfuck for Dean's belt.

Hasney

Happy with the mixed tag too. Seems like I won't be cranky the day after from staying up late to watch a silly PPV.

They legit thought there were going to be cheers at the end though and there probably was more chance of that than Bryan being eliminated near the end. FORGET ABOUT BRYAN, DA BIG DAWG WINS

rock-roman-reigns-celebration.gif

I mean they're fucking idiots for that. And clearly they knew the boos were likely because The Rock was literally there to try to mitigate that.

Hasney

I mean they're fucking idiots for that. And clearly they knew the boos were likely because The Rock was literally there to try to mitigate that.

No, you take that back! he was there because he's FAMILY.

Nah, I honestly thing they thought there would be cheers, but then EVEN MORE cheers because he's with The Rock! And that would send him on a dreamy rocketship to the moon with the most awesome pairing since PB and jam
jelly for you yanks.

Man, the Miz was superb on commentary. Put over the match, elimination chamber, the guys, shot on otunga.

I really hope if it's not AJ or someone from NXT, Miz gets the Cena match.

Pikma

Banned
That Corpus Christi crowd was more alive for Tozawa and Jack Gallagher than for that stupid John Cena promo

I'm the biggest Corpus Christi fan now!

The fact that they had Dwayne lined up to run out there and save Reigns from the boos is like one of the saddest things I've ever seen in wrestling.

And it didn't even work lol.

They knew it was gonna happen so they planned ahead to try and 'save' it, the fact that you need to do this much crap to try and save face maybe is a f**king clue you're going the wrong way. :|

Dwayne's face during the boos will forever be one of the most memorable moments of this terrible MAKE ROMAN LOOK STRONG era in my eyes.

If they put as much effort into the general booking and story telling as they do with trying to get Reigns over maybe things wouldn't be so shitty.

The fact that they had Dwayne lined up to run out there and save Reigns from the boos is like one of the saddest things I've ever seen in wrestling.

And it didn't even work lol.

They knew it was gonna happen so they planned ahead to try and 'save' it, the fact that you need to do this much crap to try and save face maybe is a f**king clue you're going the wrong way. :|

Dwayne's face during the boos will forever be one of the most memorable moments of this terrible MAKE ROMAN LOOK STRONG era in my eyes.

If they put as much effort into the general booking and story telling as they do with trying to get Reigns over maybe things wouldn't be so shitty.

I will say if and this is such a massive if but if they really pull the trigger on a Reigns heel turn we might look back at this as a fascinating 2-3 year period. If the heel turn is as good as it has potential to be, Roman Reigns is a talented wrestler and his matches aren't bad, he could end up being a massively over star in a couple of years and part of that will be because of what they've done with him since the Shield split.

But those are massive ifs... and until it works out, if it works out, the way they've pushed him will remain baffling because god knows they didn't do any of this with heel turn in mind.

Rimfya

Banned
What will be Roman's Kayfabe reason for turning?

"I never win" like Ziggler? Nope.

"No one ever helped me?" Nope.

Pikma

Banned
From that leaks guy

Not only will Goldberg win he is slated to squash Owens in less time than he best Lesner

Fuck everything there is to be fucked in this world
Especially Vince, fuck Vince

From that leaks guy

I mean yeah if they're gonna give him the title bell ring, spear, jackhammer 1,2,3 is how they have to do it.

Now does that match need the title is a different story.

klonere

Banned
From that leaks guy

There is literally no other way they could do this. Goldberg can't fucking work and destroyed the kayfabe biggest dog in the WWE in seconds, you think coward heel Kevin Owens would get anything more than 5 seconds against the greatest pro wrestler to ever live ever Goldberg?

Hasney

There is literally no other way they could do this. Goldberg can't fucking work and destroyed the kayfabe biggest dog in the WWE in seconds, you think coward heel Kevin Owens would get anything more than 5 seconds against the greatest pro wrestler to ever live ever Goldberg?

Yup. The alternative, and preferable for me, would be to not book the match.

Pikma

Banned
Do they really need to bury the guy who's been carrying the title since day two is the real question, that feud doesn't need the belt

Hasney

Jesus, after all the 'presented by WWE Champions' spots on Talking Smack, Bryan sounds off with 'and I'm presented by Tout'.

I know it's selfish, but I really hope he renews his contract.

Frankly Jericho should have won the Rumble causing those two to have a natural split over the belt.

Lesnar vs Goldberg gets set up some other way.

Orton vs Wyatt gets set up via Orton turning on Wyatt after the chamber match, revealing his plan and now going into Mania against a mentally weakened Bray. He didn't need the rumble win to set this up.

But Lesnar/Goldberg is going to be for the title so Squash Owens Squashed it is, which for that story is what they have to do.

I will say getting squashed by Goldberg isn't the end of the world, it's fucking Goldberg. Owens won't have his career ruined over that and frankly getting beat quickly by Goldberg is a better way to lose it than losing to Rollins or Reigns in match, even one as good as the one at the Rumble.

Top Bottom