• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FEEL THE BERN: Beware Dark Souls 3 PC/Steam users

ViciousDS

Banned
Maybe he'll stop if someone can kill him without getting softbanned half way through the fight.

Who wants to take one for the team.

he has infinite health and a stealth hack on as well as the dagger.....whoever soft bans the other.....wins. Unless his souls also = 642 permanently

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
This has been the weak of "wtf were you thinking with this anti-cheat protection."

The Division, and now Souls 3. What's next?

Maybe he'll stop if someone can kill him without getting softbanned half way through the fight.

Who wants to take one for the team.

I looked at the stream for a minute and it looked like he's teleporting. That's gonna make it pretty much impossible.
At least in DS1 it was easy to kick cheaters off a ledge because while cheating they were still bad players and didn't fucking teleport all over the place.

wheeplash

Stay the fuck OUT of Anor Londo, and don't even put a summon sign on the ground.
You should be playing offline by now though.

Kudo

Uhh.. Not good.
What a mess this has been, there's been cheats from Day 1 but now you can even get banned by them?
I'm done with the game for now (NG+) but I do hope they fix this soon before it starts spreading more.

roytheone

Well, at least it will be easy to prove your ban is not warranted since he is streaming it! But yeah, this guy is a super dick.

Also, I made the mistake of looking at the chat and now I have to take a shower. Stream chats are still the worst thing in the world, also on youtube.

ViciousDS

Banned
That's not what it is. The invalid data message is only a warning that your account will be reviewed to check for violations of EULA. If a cheater messed up one of your characters you have a chance to undo it and not get banned for it.
Once you do get softbanned there's no turning back.
permalinkparent

[–]LifeinParalysis [score hidden] 8 minutes ago
100% of people who have received this message have been banned. While it seems like a warning, that is not how they are treating it. If you get the message, your account will be banned on manual review. Deleting your save file does nothing once it has been flagged as it will simply add the flag back when you connect to the servers again.
permalinkparent

cringe.gif

terrible system as well

Sucks but I will say with 160 hours and many of them PvPng on the PC version I have yet to run into a hacker.

I ran into my first one last night after 500+ invasions. 1-shot me with an r1 from a shortsword. I immediately alt+f4'd just in case. Logged back in and everything was fine. I was going to do a playthrough with a couple friends where we used the dried finger the entire time for a constant stream of invaders, but knowing this stuff is out there makes me not want to.

-MD-

I always love the "I'm glad I'm playing the console version" posts in these threads lol, whatever you gotta do to make yourself feel better I guess.

So where are all the people from the OT who were saying that cheats don't happen on PC again?

Who said that?

At least on consoles will be no cheating in Souls for once. DeS, DS were like 90% modded save files. Never bothered with DS2 but I assume the same.

Why would he stream it? I know Valve CS sucks, but this is just an easy Steam account ban with everything sent in to Valve. From doesn't really need to handle him.

So where are all the people from the OT who were saying that cheats don't happen on PC again?

Uhh, they can happen on all platforms. See the first few Souls games. Maybe not DSIII yet on console but plenty of major console games have hacks.

SJRB

Gold Member
This sucks of course, but I somehow respect how incredibly devious this concept is. This guy is more evil than Skeletor.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Stay safe PCGAF :(. I'd be so mad if this happened to me in a game on my platforms of choice. This is embarrassing.

Honestly, you should have called out claims like that then and there. These kinds of things happen on PC because it's a PC. Hacks like this happen all the time, so anyone making that claim about an open platform has no idea what they're talking about.

Gbraga

Man, this really sucks. I don't want to completely lose my online component, so I'll just activate the region lock. Should be enough for me.

Sucks for you PC guys. Thank God this isnt possible on Console. Hopefully from does something about it soon.

Probably not. We all know how long it took in Ds2

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Why would he stream it? I know Valve CS sucks, but this is just an easy Steam account ban with everything sent in to Valve. From doesn't really need to handle him.

The real issue is this guy is highlighting how bad From's cheat detection and soft banning is. He's not unique; now that he's demonstrated the tactic plenty of trolls will begin doing this to the community.

Problem is, in the past From has played "opaque Japanese company that answers no questions". When people were innocently soft banned in Dark Souls II, most of the time From refused to respond.

The one difference this time, hopefully, is that the cheat detection is so bad in DSIII and causing so many false positives, that Bandai Namco's western community manager has been forced to respond and begin sending information to From.

Love console wars shitposts in these threads. Nice to see some of you celebrating your fellow gamers having to put up with bullshit.

What is softbanning exactly?

I feel bad for writing this, but this is kinda hilarious...

Edit: FS needs to fix this shit.

makes it so you can only play online with other softbanned people. A note to everyone. Back up your save files. If you are softbanned you are supposed to be able to delete your save file and use your clean back up to get unbanned.

jett

D-Member
You have to be really deranged to do something like that.

What a garbage anti-cheat system. How is this obvious cheater that has changed game data not getting banned as well?

test_account

XP-39C²
offline mode

you should never be glad you're playing a laggy ass game
You should never be "forced" to play offline :p

Playing it offline makes the world "less alive" because there are no messages and ghost images of other players. Personally, i think its ok to play it offline, but some might not.

Shifty

Christ. What a fucking scumbag.

Would love to see someone hack in that same dagger and get him banned.

Vaga

Had no incentive to double dip on pc exactly for reasons like this. But fucking hell the stream is hilarious.

JGLS

Was supposed to start playing DS3 on PC this weekend but after the Kotaku article and this, I'm going to postpone until FromSoft gets ther shit together.

I am not sure reporting him on Steam will really do anything. The game doesn't use VAC and Valve isn't going to deny him access to his game for any reason.

Top Bottom