• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FEEL THE BERN: Beware Dark Souls 3 PC/Steam users

Gbraga

You have to be really deranged to do something like that.

What a garbage anti-cheat system. How is this obvious cheater that has changed game data not getting banned as well?

That's a great point. Apparently being invisible, teleporting and changing weapon's properties isn't a real problem, but using cheats to get souls is? The matchmaking is SL based anyway, it'd only help people with PVE or to cut down build prepping time for PVP, is that even a problem? I'd rather not having an anti-cheat system and having to deal with hackers one shotting me once in a while than having an anti-souls duping system and having to worry about getting banned by hackers.

Had no incentive to double dip on pc exactly for reasons like this. But fucking hell the stream is hilarious.

Moments like this are why I cant blame streamers like Peeve who refuse to play on PC. They have the spotlight on them when they stream which means scumbags like this come out to play.

When Dark Souls 2 came out and Oroboro was making youtube vids of "hackers" coming into his game and "having fun" with him it made me roll my eyes so hard. Theyll "have fun" with the streamer in that moment then the next theyre ruining someones game.

Echoplx

Was supposed to start playing DS3 on PC this weekend but after the Kotaku article and this, I'm going to postpone until FromSoft gets ther shit together.

I've played for around 100 hours and haven't encountered a single hacker, it's really not as common as certain people would like you to believe.

Ludens

Banned
There's no softban in DS3, ALL bans are PERMANENT and FROM won't revoke them.

This is why their anti-cheat system sucks, because you really can't ban users for things like those which are TOTALLY not under the user's control.

I agree on DS NEEDING an anti-cheat system (I keep telling From should implement VAC since DS2 vanilla release), but an anti.cheat system need to work properly too. You can't simply permaban people because they got so unlucky to be invaded by an asshole with the only purpose on screwing them.

Another ridiculous thing is the fact you can simply create another Steam account and family share it with your DS3 account on Steam and keep playing with your banned savegame.

True Fire

Dark Souls PvP has always revolved around screwing over other players, so it's no surprise that someone would eventually take it too far.

Love console wars shitposts in these threads. Nice to see some of you celebrating your fellow gamers having to put up with bullshit.

I don't think it's wrong to see a game with lots of cheaters on PC and say "I"m glad I'm playing on consoles."

Just like it's not wrong to see a fast-paced game that's locked to 30 fps on consoles, and saying, "I'm glad I'm playing on PC."

In this specific instance, the console version has a clear advantage.

Cheating is always going to be more of a problem on PC. That's just one of the downsides to having an open platform. Sure, good anticheat systems help, but those take time and effort to implement.

nOoblet16

Why would he stream it? I know Valve CS sucks, but this is just an easy Steam account ban with everything sent in to Valve. From doesn't really need to handle him.

Uhh, they can happen on all platforms. See the first few Souls games. Maybe not DSIII yet on console but plenty of major console games have hacks.

You can only have hacks on console games if the console can run unsigned code, which only happens if the console is modded/jailbroken. In PS4Bone's case this is simply not possible as of yet. In PS360's case the PS3 was free of it for the majority of its life, until 2012 or so, while the Xbox 360 was free from it until JTAG mod came out sometime in 2009-2010.

Point being, it can happen but it's not usual like with PC. All these games i.e. Division, Dark Souls 3 don't suffer from these issues on consoles at the moment and they won't as long as they aren't jailbroken.

Buburibon

Who knows how many legitimate players have been penalized since release because of hackers such as this guy. Developers need to sort it all out a.s.a.p.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Is this the long lost Reynolds sibling?

tumblr_mwibuzN7FU1t0ne7lo6_250.gif

I don't think it's wrong to see a game with lots of cheaters on PC and say "I"m glad I'm playing on consoles."

Just like it's not wrong to see a fast-paced game that's locked to 30 fps on consoles, and saying, "I'm glad I'm playing on PC."

In this specific instance, the console version has a clear advantage.

Cheating is always going to be more of a problem on PC. That's just one of the downsides to having an open platform. Sure, good anticheat systems help, but those take time and effort to implement.

So... gloating then.

Acerac

Banned
He's currently in game now.

As horribly douchey of a move it is, I'm at least impressed by the creativity of it all. Banning people by killing them, that's new.

Acosta

What a massacre... it´s kinds hypnotizing how he vanishes people.

There is an interesting piece about how online videogames and this streaming era can create authentic villains for us to hate.

PillarEN

From his steam profile in the comments:

Bartholomew 2 minutes ago
"I hope you know that Neogaf is jolly peeved young man."

Lol.

You can only have hacks on console games if the console can run unsigned code, which only happens if the console is modded/jailbroken. In PS4Bone's case this is simply not possible as of yet. In PS360's case the PS3 was free of it for the majority of its life, until 2012 or so, while the Xbox 360 was free from it until JTAG mod came out sometime in 2009-2010.

Point being, it can happen but it's not usual like with PC. All these games i.e. Division, Dark Souls 3 don't suffer from these issues on consoles at the moment and they won't as long as they aren't jailbroken.

Try playing PS4 Diablo 3 online with randoms right now if you think stuff like this can only happen with jailbroken consoles.

Hupsel

Not that I like this, but if the game was always online and the chars where saved in Froms servers would this happen?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This is on From. They've had how many iterations of this game now? And they haven't figured out a solid anti-cheat solution yet?

Top Bottom