• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feels bad man. Pepe the frog has been listed as a hate symbol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkeband

Banned
I don't because I am not around that material I assume. But my Facebook feed is full of non racist Pepe memes. Especially ones to do with gyms and lifting.

Kermit is next

There is more overlap between these communities than you think. Gyms and lifting subcultures overlap with red pill, MRA, MGTOW, etc, which leads to anti-SJW and gamergate types which overlap with 4chan which overlaps with Stormfront.

There's basically a slippery slope involved with all of these that leads to another thriving, seedy underbelly of the interwebs.

So you consider that an open inventation to use pepe to push hate speech?

Did any of my posts suggest that?
I just don't think that if assholes use a meme to push hate speech that means they now own that meme and we should ban it from public use.
If we did that then no meme would ever be allowed.

Haruko

Truly, one of the world's TOP STORIES

BZ5yXXk.png

Mahonay

Banned
I just don't think that if assholes use a meme to push hate speech that means they now own that meme and we should ban it from public use.
I don't think it should be banned either. These idiots are using a shitty outdated meme. It's not even used that often around here anymore.

Another very 2016 headline. Poor Pepe, he's been such a good friend for so many years, he doesn't deserve this.

It's especially dumb since in itself it's just a cartoon frog. You could MS Paint some racist text over a picture of literally anything.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The mainstream media running articles on Pepe has been one of the stupidest fucking situations I've ever known.

Going so far as to declare him as a "hate symbol" is fucking absurd and sends the message to 4chan et al that with perseverance they can turn ANYTHING into a hate symbol.

mike6467

There is more overlap between these communities than you think. Gyms and lifting subcultures overlap with red pill, MRA, MGTOW, etc, which leads to anti-SJW and gamergate types which overlap with 4chan which overlaps with Stormfront.

There's basically a slippery slope involved with all of these that leads to another thriving, seedy underbelly of the interwebs.

As someone who loves lifting, it pains me to agree with this. I recently lost two gym acquaintances for calling out some really vulgar misogyny. I don't know if it's just the hypermasculinity fetish that exists there, or the sheer amount of narcissists drawn to the sport, but that shit is incredibly common.

On top of that, there's this attitude of "You can improve yourself, work hard, be consistent and you'll see results." Which is good! However it has mutated to "Anyone who isn't successful just isn't trying/working hard" mindset. Which is hostile at best, at worst it results in a slide into the rest of this shit.

MUnited83

For you.

Did you even bothered to read the site this news is about? Like, at all?

They would get sued out the ass. Disney don't play that shit.

What you think they would sue 4chan or Reddit and ask them to stop posting memes with their characters? I think that would be unprecedented

Actually, I'm pretty sure that pacha meme has been used by the alt right at some point

Somnid

The effect this had is interesting. It makes me think of what would happen if the opposition symbol was co-opted? So if the alt-right took Hillary Clinton and invented a meme persona and spammed hate speech with it like some ironic dog-whistle?

Look at you swole shaming.

This 4chan has such incredible power.

What happens when 4chan or whatever decides to turn Hillary emojis or the like into symbols of white supremacy? Will her face be blurred out on tv?

Pepe on NPR. What a time to be alive

But the intersection of politics and the Internet is more fascinating in this election than ever before. Now that the presidential candidates from both major parties have invoked or criticized Pepe and a major civil rights organization has denounced him, there's no denying that he's news.

And if there is indeed a vast alt-right conspiracy to make Pepe the exclusive property of the Internet fringe, this piece might either be the ultimate case of normies killing the joke — or a reinforcement of Pepe's odd status as subversive cultural icon that will actually keep him alive.

Feels bad, man.

JackDT

All those people spamming Pepe memes to jewish folks telling them their family belongs in an oven. Can you believe those people were baited? LULZ! They fell for the bait of constant death threats. What jokers.

Glix

All those people spamming Pepe memes to jewish folks telling them their family belongs in an oven. Can you believe those people were baited? LULZ! They fell for the bait of constant death threats. What jokers.

Its just epic trolling!!!! LOL!!!

/s

After I saw numbers amongst the hate signs, I don't think this ADL is serious. Just a bunch of idiots.

Are you talking about 88? Because that one is definitely actually used by white supremacists. (I haven't checked out that the site, so I don't know what you're talking about for sure).

Azzanadra

Don't you think that concern a little... reaching, and requires mental gymnastics to function?

You could literally say the same thing about anything, "NeoGAF is a gaming community so surely it overlaps with Gamergate, its a slippery slope posting on NeoGAF". If that sounds ridiculous, so is using Pepe as a meme being a "slippery slope" towards the alt-right if its not used in a neo-nazi context.

Nipo

Don't you think that concern a little... reaching, and requires mental gymnastics to function?

You could literally say the same thing about anything, "NeoGAF is a gaming community so surely it overlaps with Gamergate, its a slippery slope posting on NeoGAF". If that sounds ridiculous, so is using Pepe as a meme being a "slippery slope" towards the alt-right if its not used in a neo-nazi context.

Nah his reasoning makes perfect sense. Same reason if someone weighs the same amount as a duck you burn them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom