• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female only gaming event cancelled following online harassment

kulapik

Yesterday, an event called Gaming Ladies was announced. It would take place on King's offices in Barcelona and host four panels about females in the videogame industry, as well as networking.

DDP9BzFW0AAxAzn.jpg

However, after that announcement, the event began to get several people (mostly males) complain about the non-mixed nature of the event, allowing only females to enter. This peaked when Forocoches, Spain's biggest forum, and also the most disgusting one, heard about the event. Several threads were opened against it, and one of them even suggested trolling the event by disguising themselves and claiming to be female transexuals so they could enter the event and then troll it from the inside.

DDVn9iGW0AELMHM.jpg

(this picture shows pretty much what I just mentioned)

King also began to get pressure to cancel the event, which ended up happening a few hours ago.

DDWAW-bXoAEfXyq.jpg

The previous time this event took place it wasn't advertised due to the fear of something like this happening and only seven people attended. This is fucking shameful.

I won't post any Twitter links leading to no accounts to not get any hate directed towards them as well.

watershed

Banned
This only serves as further proof for the necessity of female only events. These "men" are disgusting and I sure has hell wouldn't want them at an event on gender issues of any kind.

shiyrley

Banned
People investing more efforts in destroying a women only gaming event than destroying literally nazi events (Hogar Social Madrid)

But hey, we don't need feminism!

Sai-kun

Banned
but it's not GAMING that has a problem, it's just people, man!!!! hashtag thoughts and prayers hashtag not all men!!

God damn it. Why do people have to be such assholes. Whats wrong with just letting people celebrate themselves in their hobby. I hope something else gets organized, its so disgusting seeing women get treated like this.

Raptomex

God damn it. Why do people have to be such assholes. Whats wrong with just letting people celebrate themselves in their hobby. I hope something else gets organized, its so disgusting seeing women get treated like this.
Just thinking the same thing. It's because of dickbags like this that this entire culture has a negative stigma.

Zedox

I only hope that they can have the event at a later time. Don't stop ladies...it will always be worse before it gets better, but you can't stop. :(

jviggy43

Awaiting all of the diet gamer gaters to come in here with the soft defense of this. This is bullshit and should encourage these types of events even more.

Heyt

Banned
gaming is a de facto white male centric hobby, do you have any issues with that?

Sorry but more than half of gamers are women, don't make them invisible just because you want to.

This is why we should close establishments and roads to men at certain hours, they just want to erase women.

Segregation is progress!

_Ryo_

This only goes to show that these types of events are actually necessary. These boys are a bunch of shithead assholes.

Gaming culture continuing to show it's true colors. We at Gaf are an anomaly. A good anomaly, but we make up only a few.

This is why I don't tell people I'm a gamer IRL, it's embarrassing.

Sai-kun

Banned
Sorry but more than half of gamers are women, don't make them invisible just because you want to.

This is why we should close establishments and roads to men at certain hours, they just want to erase women.

Segregation is progress!

wow ur really trying it sis

jelly

Said it before but I honestly can't get my head around their views. It's baffling and disgusting. How do you even grow up to think like that.

People investing more efforts in destroying a women only gaming event than destroying literally nazi events (Hogar Social Madrid)

But hey, we don't need feminism!

Forocoches is basically just Spanish 4chan, so not surprising they care more about harming women than nazis.

Hopeford

Any argument that this event's segregation wasn't necessary is frankly voided by the same event's reason for cancelling.

Dunlop

Gaming culture continuing to show it's true colors. We at Gaf are an anomaly. A good anomaly, but we make up only a few.

This is why I don't tell people I'm a gamer IRL, it's embarrassing.
Not so much an anomaly as it is a heavy moderated forum.

Such a sad culture.

Nepenthe

We make ourselves invisible because it's the best way to circumvent the misogynistic harassment most male gamers in the community are too cowardly or too defeatist to do something about.

roytheone

AWPEKmF.jpg

Yeah, seems about right.

This kind of stuff makes me afraid to talk about my hobby because some people will just assume you are one of those racist/sexist white male gamers.

Of course those people would be in the wrong and generalizing which is a shitty thing to do, but it still sucks that dickhead ruin the image for everyone :(

J-Tier

Good reason to have more female only events. I imagine it must've been difficult to deal with the deluge of harassing assholes, enough that they needed to cancel. It's sad :/

Segregation is progress!
Not today, Satan. Women make up more or less 50% of the world approximately. Women are still categorized as a minority group because they're treated as second class citizens almost always globally.

Having an event for women that play video games is not an attack on your dominant male gaming scene. Represenatation within the industry is still a joke in terms of gender, sexuality, race, etc. Whenever a woman dares speak on microphone she is harassed and berated. I'd post my sources right now but I'm on mobile. I don't think you'd particularly need them though because I'm sure you've encountered firsthand just how nasty women are treated in gaming spheres.

Stop with your alarmist bullshit, accept that not everything is on level ground, and make inroads to improving the treatment of minorities and women in gaming. It's not hard.

Top Bottom