• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Smash player was sexually molested at EVO: Offender banned from comp play 1 yr

Status
Not open for further replies.

CO_Andy

By a known (male) Smash player.

Screen%2BShot%2B07-18-16%2Bat%2B02.26%2BAM.JPG

Perpetrator confirmed he molested her due to "alcohol".

https://twitter.com/VikkiKitty_
https://twitter.com/hyugatlssb -- he deleted his twitter account :/

Update 1: Hyuga issued 1 year ban by the Smash 4 community leaders

Global Smash 4 Leadership Group's Response to Hyuga Incident:

Over the past weekend in Las Vegas, the Smash Bros community was informed by multiple witnesses of an unfortunate case of sexual harassment by Cristian "Hyuga" Medina with a female community member at a hotel in Las Vegas, which was by the venue Evo 2016 was held.

As a result, the Global Smash 4 Leadership Group is banning Cristian "Hyuga" Medina from competing until July 17th, 2017 as a first offense. All TOs will refund his entry & reject his presence at any future tournaments until July 17th, 2017. A second offense will result in a lifetime ban from participating in all future Smash Bros events. We will use this as a baseline penalty for any future similar incidents.

The Global Smash 4 Leadership Group condemns all acts of sexual harassment, and alcohol being involved does not excuse or mitigate it in any way. We all want a to provide a safe, fun, and inviting environments around major tournaments where the we focus on healthy competition and exciting rivalries in Smash Bros.

We want to ensure that Hyuga is properly punished for his actions & to remind others that actions in and outside of a tournament are judged by the public & punishable. We will allow Hyuga to compete again in Smash Bros tournaments after July 17th, 2017. A second offense is a lifetime ban.
Best,

Global Smash 4 Leadership Group

Update 2: Follow-up response by a Smash community leader

Follow up on Hyuga statement

Hey y'all Bear here,

Just wanted to clear up a few things about the "1 year ban" and apologize for how it came across as "official" by a group.

First things first, there is a private facebook group that has existed for a couple of years now that includes most Smash 4 international community leaders, TOs, and some players. [Origins are detailed by DC's post https://twitter.com/ShowdownDC/status/755283461636820992 & http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sotn3a]

The group doesn't make "rulings" we use it primarily for discussion purposes. Like 2 stock vs 3 stock or floating through pools. Given that most major TOs are present in that group, I approached them with a draft of the letter we released yesterday regarding Hyuga. Many people helped edit the letter and the sentence was agreed upon by quite a few people. But not all, and that is something I regret. I was emotional about the issue and wanted to respond to it ASAP so the community doesn't lose faith in Smash 4's potential. I didn't give everyone the time to respond and the group, even though its intended to be, is not all-inclusive.

The 1 year ban is intended to be a recommendation not a rule to those who weren't involved in the decision. We're not suggesting banning him from locals or competitive play unless those TOs/groups wish to follow suit, and we definitely don't want witch hunts against those who allow Hyuga to play if he decides to do so again in the future.

In the future our approach will be dramatically different. We'll have a more formal process and be more clear about who is involved. It will likely be an open letter that is signed by community leaders and TOs and allows others to sign if they wish as well. I take the fault for the statement being out too quickly. I should've been more clear on deliverables & ensure it reads correctly. I let my emotions get the best of my quick actions where the severity needs more time for review. I've known close friends who were victims. I got way too heated & should've waited for all of us to recover from EVO. I do apologize for that. We'll review this further together to ensure we have solutions & precedents to maintain a safe & fun environment.

In the end, the majority of community leaders still agree with this ruling. We will continue to discuss the issue and if things change then we'll let everyone know in a more clear fashion.

Much appreciated,
Bear

Neoxon

It's unfortunate that shit like this happens in the FGC. We're better than this.

If I recall, VGBootCamp dropped him as a result of this.

Sheroking

It's unfortunate that shit like this happens in the FGC. We're better than this.

Shit like this happens everywhere. You bring 12000 people together, some of them are horrible.

Hope there's a legal recourse for her, as there were witnesses.

Smfh. Being drunk is not an excuse either. The fact the scumbag tried doing it twice just obliterates any shred of benefit of the doubt.

RedRum

Banned
Right next to her BF as well. Either this guy was seriously drunk as fuck or just dumb as fuck. I don't know what I would have done to to the guy if I woke up to that. The real kicker here is that it happened TWICE. WTF..

"I'm not a bad person" is the worst thing to say after you commit something as if that somehow makes up for your actions.

Maybe shouldn't have gotten hopelessly drunk. Congratulations, you successfully further perpetuated the stereotype of Gamers and the FGC of being neckbeared uncontrollable man-children. I hope the community does well to purge him out and ban him from future tournaments. Those kinds of actions are unacceptable.

Brohan

What an asshole.

Being drunk is no excuse, not if it happens once and especially not if it happens TWICE.

On a different note; did her BF sleep through all of this??

Maximo

If alcohol "makes you do these things" stop drinking and never fucking touch it again. Own up to your actions and seek professional mental help. Or your a lying piece of shit that uses alcohol as a excuse for your actions and if so your human garbage that deserves the full extent of the law.

People can get weird on drugs ok that's understandable but that's not a excuse to hand wave what you did away, it also doesn't mean you deserve sympathy for what you did, either know your limits or own up to being a horrible excuse for a human being.

We let this shit slide way too much in the gaming scene.

RomanceDawn

Disgusting. I'd love to see this guy on the street. :mad:

Poor Vicky, can't imagine what she must feel like right now.

And yes Hyuga you are a bad person.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wtf is going on, does EVO attract perverts or something?

Okay, so, to give a bit of perspective here, 18% of women in the U.S. have been raped, which works out to about 20 million women.

And that's just rape, which wouldn't include the incident in the OP. And that's excluding the men as well, which is a non-trivial number.

If you consider the amount of people who must be sex offenders given this, you would expect to find them basically everywhere, including here.

Daft Punk

Banned
Never heard of any other gaming event having stuff like this happen back to back like this.

This is not exclusively an "only gamers do it" type of thing. It happens with people in general who don't know how to drink and not act like a total jackass/perv. I've seen both women and men do it from a male friend who drank so much so that he puked all in our hotel bathroom sink at an anime convention to a female acquaintance who thought it would be fun to try and anally finger another female friend while at a hotel party at another convention after she had been told several times to stop.

Chiggs

Right next to her BF as well. Either this guy was seriously drunk as fuck or just dumb as fuck. I don't know what I would have done to to the guy if I woke up to that. The real kicker here is that it happened TWICE. WTF..

And the boyfriend let the guy stay in their room. Let's hope she dumps him asap.

random25

Scary thing here is the perpetrator even followed the victim and did it again. Good on VGBC to instantly drop him off of sponsorship to at least send a message to aspiring and current pro players that these are not to be tolerated regardless of your talent level.

This deserves jail time more than anything. Hopefully the victim will recover soon from the trauma.

Okay, so, to give a bit of perspective here, 18% of women in the U.S. have been raped, which works out to about 20 million women.

And that's just rape, which wouldn't include the incident in the OP. And that's excluding the men as well, which is a non-trivial number.

If you consider the amount of people who must be sex offenders given this, you would expect to find them basically everywhere, including here.

Wow. I would have guessed it would be closer to 1.8% than 18%... that's an insane number.

dity

This is not exclusively an "only gamers do it" type of thing. It happens with people in general who don't know how to drink and not act like a total jackass/perv. I've seen both women and men do it from a male friend who drank so much so that he puked all in our hotel bathroom sink at an anime convention to a female acquaintance who thought it would be fun to try and anally finger another female friend while at a hotel party at another convention after she had been told several times to stop.

Large event + socially awkward people + alcohol = that's why this shit always happens at anime conventions and gaming events.

They get into a stupid "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" mentally. But conventions.

Wtf is going on, does EVO attract perverts or something?

Large gathering of people, very loose atmosphere (and I don't mean sexually, just relaxed) mix in some alcohol and you are going to have some people acting a fool. It's probably always gone on, at all sorts of kinds of gatherings, it's just more reported now, and thankfully people are starting to feel more comfortable coming forward rather than just falling back on "boys will be boys" defense. If getting drunk makes you molest and assault people, then don't fucking drink.

Platy

No excuse !

Also, good luck to her because these things always means more jerks blaming this on her for something she had zero control over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom