• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FemFreq: The pregnancy mechanics in Fallout Shelter are super troubling

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we, some of the very last civilized survivors of an apocalypse, attempt to survive in a vault underground and repopulate the earth from the barren, dangerous wasteland from above, we neglected to put pregnant women carrying precious, beautiful new life in harms way or otherwise strenuous work. Silly us.

Seriously though, I'm all for equal and fair representation of women in video games but is she even thinking in ANY kind of context per game anymore?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think Anita has an issue with confirmation bias.
Pretty easy to go about things that way when you can always pull the misogyny card at the end of the day irregardless of context or effectual value/legitimacy of the critique. It really does muddy the conversation in a click bait blog kind of way, at the expense of progress. Some people find value in stirring shit more than considering what might be counterintuitive about doing so.

Theonik

So, the Fallout Series is like Anita's Kryptonite now? Because she keeps saying dumb things regarding it.
The post apocalypse in general I think. Well it makes perfect sense if you think about it since social responsibility, which is what she claims to stand for, is not the 'natural order of things', but rather the result of social progress, whereas most post-apocalyptic fiction is about the collapse of modern society thus would be inherently regressive.

Pudge

God these people are boring

That's my reaction at this point. It must be so tiring to be the person in the corner pointing out things that are offensive or in bad taste over and over again. Especially when everyone else in the room are solving problems and making progress at a pretty good clip.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Imagine if instead of using it to survive in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, Fallout 4's crafting system could be used to create Rosie the Riveter buttons.

To inspire the male NPCs to fight on their behalf?

I think that tweet is worse than the one this super thread is about. It reads like someone who is high and has their twitter open. I legit read it in my head in the voice of Hyde from that 70s show.

Mesoian

She is not entirely wrong. The entire idea behind the game is kind of weird, and a little icky.

And even if you disagree with her, I do not think any of what she says is so unreasonable that the reactions some give her would be warranted.

Then again, I really do not follow her work, so maybe she has been unreasonable in the past?

As someone who has told people that they should at least listen to Anita's body of work because her message is generally pretty good, the last few weeks of content from her organization have been....lacking at best.

In Anita the only one who uses that account? It really sounds more like McIntosh.

Unknown. Likely though, and if so, she really needs to take her picture down off of it because it's severely hurting her credibility.

zeshakag

I'm cringing at these tweets.

You know, it's crazy to think about how someone who causes so much eyerolling among other liberal-minded people still somehow manages to change things for better. Maybe Anita's statements set the goal posts so far that when people criticise her, they concede some progressive things and those concessions become a common viewpoint, and things move forward a little.

That's my reaction at this point. It must be so tiring to be the person in the corner pointing out things that are offensive or in bad taste over and over again. Especially when everyone else in the room are solving problems and making progress at a pretty good clip.

"I could be progressing women's rights and fueling female empowerment. But, nah, I'll just highlight mundane and irrelevant content in mobile games instead."

Brakke

Banned
Pregnant women can't die. Just like kids. And it's a ESRB rating thing, not a statement nor a choice. Even games like GTA won't go down that road. So, as a result, to avoid exploiting that fact, they also cannot take part in any activity where losing health can happen.

Thin defense. This isn't a "rating thing". It's a creative choice they made. Faced with some constraint, they did a bunch of creative work and produced this depiction.

Your criticism is weak for the same reason Ubisoft's defense about not having playable women in Assassin's was weak. They were not forced to make otherwise competent women flailing useless hysterical idiots, they chose to do that. The universe of possible solutions to this rating concern is literally infinite.

I think we all realize that she's doing more harm than good at this point. Her points have become increasingly ridiculous despite being rather fair criticisms when I first heard if her. It's become so that you have to look for the verified mark to be sure you're not looking at a parody account.

Majukun

People fight the raiders/fires/roaches calmly enough, not sure why they can't retreat in the same manner too.

because they can/want defend themselves
give me a gun,and i might balance my option

strip me of the gun,or strip me of the will to fight,and i will run like hell

in this case,women that carry a child can't fight because they are invincible in the game,just like children (or so people said in this thread)

so they had to give them a motivation to stay away from the battle,and self preservation and unwillingness to fight is one hell of a motivation.
one that doesn't make you exit calmly from a room...

of course we are talking about the feelings of non-real people here,so arguing about their feelings is kinda pointless..but if them calmly go away from these situation like it's nothing wouldn't have striked you as odd,I don't know what to say

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Now that we're largely post-GG and she's not the figurehead for women in a war against basement dwelling 8chan terrorists, it's probably time for Anita Sarkeesian's poorly researched, reactionary blanket statements and self-sabotaging fringe feminism to not always be given attention by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom