• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ferrari P4/5 Competizione scanned by Polyphony Digital for PS4 Gran Turismo game

Cidd

I can imagine the guys at polyphony have the most boring careers.

Same thing year after year after year after year after year after year after year

You have got to be be kidding, I'll take that mic holding job any day, I get to travel the world and take pics of exotic cars millions will never get a chance to even touch seriously who wouldn't want to do that?

Could take a while for the game to come out if they're still in car scanning phase.

PD, turn 10 and most dedicated racing teams will be constantly making new cars for future games and DLC.

I would not look into it to much but yeah. GT6 is probably a 2014 game

paskowitz

But the handling was equally as poor no?

At least I thought it was a huge step back from Gt 4.

GT5's handling is regarded pretty highly. About the only things PD need to work on are collisions and low speed physics. The tire model could use some work as well, but it is acceptable. Their suspension modeling is top notch.

733972_454010124672126_1041671025_n.jpg

This is even cooler, and in the second picture you can see the scanner.

I believe they use full scanners too, if I remember correctly.

They do but I remember seeing the thing and there is noway the can travel oversee with it so maybe it's just for cars they find in japan they can bring to their lab to put in the scanner

They do but I remember seeing the thing and there is noway the can travel oversee with it so maybe it's just for cars they find in japan they can bring to their lab to put in the scanner

They seem to have a portable scanner

"The first scan they did was the underside of the car. They did a pan of the chassis. As they were scanning it, in real time, there was a 3-D wireframe model being built of the car on the screen. You could actually see the relationship between the body mounts and the floor. You could see the exhaust and the clearance that the exhaust had. You could see the tread pattern on the tires, the horns, and all the fasteners holding those in place, the whole chassis, the headers, the oil pan - everything", said Craig.

After the bottom half of the car was scanned in the rack was dropped and the interior transferred into binary for a complete 3-D model.

"It was bizzare. A red line swept across the interior. It was sort of a spacey type of a deal. The room was somewhat dimly lit, and you would see this red line sweep across - bzzzzzzzzt. As soon as it finished it was producing a 3d wireframe model to scale on the screen", said Art.

When the scan was complete a full 3d model of the car was soon rotating around on the computer screen. With a click or two of the mouse the entire car began unfolding in three dimensions on a screen in front of Art and Craig's eyes. To fill in the wireframe back at GTHD central a four-person crew took video and still imagery of the car.

"They took video of me going through the gears, and the starting sequence of the car. Turning the wheel. Setting the e-brake. Pulling the hood release. Hi-beam Lo-beam. Everything." said Craig.

http://jalopnik.com/238136/from-bucket-to-binary-morrison-corvette-scanned-into-gran-turismo

KongRudi

Banned
It's an idea, but I don't see how it's "likely". Especially with DriveClub coming late this year/early next year, and GT6 rumoured to be this year.

Polyphony Digital aren't a small studio. They would surely have enough people to be working on two titles at once.

They're are pretty small for the kind of game they're making, about 110 employes.
http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/

In comparison, the Forza devteam are peaking at close to 400 people, when close to launch. But alot of that is hired labour.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Let's hope so. That car is gorgeous and it'd be a damn shame if PD skips it in GT6.

1bUWUyO.jpg

I'd jump for joy if GT6 has a PS4 port, but that's pretty much a pipe dream at this point.

I think I'm going to vomit all over my keyboard. What an abortion.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Does anyone know how long they have been laser scanning cars for GT? It seems like such a fast and effective method that I dont get why it takes them so long to model one car. Maybe because of having to downgrade the full wireframe to run in game? I wonder if PS4 is powerful enough to just plug in the fully detailed wireframe with almost no loss in detail.

/random thoughts

Does anyone know how long they have been laser scanning cars for GT? It seems like such a fast and effective method that I dont get why it takes them so long to model one car. Maybe because of having to downgrade the full wireframe to run in game? I wonder if PS4 is powerful enough to just plug in the fully detailed wireframe with almost no loss in detail.

/random thoughts

I can't wait until devs can just upload CAD data into their games.

Ohhhhh boy. Wonder how long this game will take - if it'll be anywhere near Drive Club's release? Hope they won't cannibalize each others' sales.

paskowitz

I think this doesn't happen due to manufacturers being too afraid to put their secrets out there. It would make things much, much easier.

I never understood this. Maybe for something like the McLaren P1 or something crazy, but surely there are no crazy trade secrets in a Ford Fiesta? Also, most manufacturers have entire departments dedicated to purchasing the competitions cars, driving them, analyzing them and then tearing them apart. Even then, like Porsche with the GTR, they still cannot figure everything out. So what is a video game going to do?

THE:MILKMAN

Threatened is such a nasty word. ;)

Just calling a duck a duck! If they have "requested" GTplanet remove everything about that scanning shoot (including discussion) while all sites around it continue to discuss it is ridiculous to me.

Cats out the bag. No point in bolting the stable door when the horse is gone.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Why did I read this as Futanari :(

DO NOT FUCKING GOOGLE THAT.

Also I'm hype for more GT :D I hope we see some stuff at E3

Top Bottom