• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ferrari P4/5 Competizione scanned by Polyphony Digital for PS4 Gran Turismo game

update: both facebook photo album and gtplanet article deleted, hmmm...

Polyphony Digital employees were recently spotted at L.M. Gianetti, a high-end racing garage and engineering company based in Turin, Italy.

L.M. Gianetti’s garage is home to some very special cars, including the Ferrari P4/5 Competizione, Martini Racing’s Lancia Delta HF Integrale, and the Alfa Romeo 155 Touring Car – a car that’s been very popular with Gran Turismo fans since it first appeared in Gran Turismo 2.

The Polyphony Digital team can be seen collecting data in photographs posted yesterday on L.M. Gianetti’s Facebook page. Curiously, the gallery has been titled “SCANSIONE PER GRAN TURISMO PS4″, which translates to “Scanning for Gran Turismo PS4″.

gtplanet

fb photo album

1638_454010258005446_911318120_n.jpg

486007_454009864672152_569980582_n.jpg

63955_454009831338822_604496111_n.jpg

522710_454010001338805_123589565_n.jpg

dukeoflegs

Looks more like they are taking pictures for textures for individual areas of the car, not scanning the car as a whole.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Thank you based Glickenhaus.

And yeah it doesn't look like they're using their scanner for this, more just taking reference photos.

Elios83

I hope this means the GT6 PS3 rumors are false

Not necessarily.
The next GT game could really well be a PS4/PS3/Vita title. It would fit really well with Sony's ambition of keeping PS3 alive, having a strong title to push PS4 early in the lifecycle and at the same time to support the Vita with a big title without the need of a huge budget.

Not necessarily.
The next GT game could really well be a PS4/PS3/Vita title. It would fit really well with Sony's ambition of keeping PS3 alive, having a strong title to push PS4 early in the lifecycle and at the same time to support the Vita with a big title without the need of a huge budget.

Correct. It would be much harder to port the assets over to Vita if it was PS4-exclusive.

sant

They'd better have the LaFerrari if they're spending time modelling this. They had that other 430 based one off in GT5, meanwhile the game is missing the F50 and 288 GTO...

Cross platform would mean holding back GT6's potential. That would suck.

It makes no sense from a business POV either, since 10 million ps3 owners already bought a GT game this gen. How many will realistically be returning for another ps3 GT years into the ps4 lifecycle?

Cross platform would mean holding back GT6's potential. That would suck.

It makes no sense from a business POV either, since 10 million ps3 owners already bought a GT game this gen. How many will realistically be returning for another ps3 GT years into the ps4 lifecycle?

GT2 sold 9m at the tail end of the PSone's life and GT4 is close to 12m.

Last week PD were spotted scanning FIA GT cars. They seem to be tagging along with Kaz as he tours various manufacturers throughout Europe.

It's pretty likely to be cross-platform.

It's an idea, but I don't see how it's "likely". Especially with DriveClub coming late this year/early next year, and GT6 rumoured to be this year.

Polyphony Digital aren't a small studio. They would surely have enough people to be working on two titles at once.

Are the assets that they scanned for Gran Turismo 5 good enough to be used for a Gran Turismo on PS4 or will they have to scan everything again?

TTG

There are so many holes in the car list from GT5. New cars are fine(and expected), but really, you could make whole seasons of Top Gear out of the cars that were not in GT5 that were in production at the time that game came out. And I know the guys at Polyphony like to get many different types of cars in, but the high end road cars should absolutely get a closer look than the others. There are also a handful of racing series that were "standard" models only in the game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
They'd better have the LaFerrari if they're spending time modelling this. They had that other 430 based one off in GT5, meanwhile the game is missing the F50 and 288 GTO...
I still don't understand this considering the head of PD is a massive car nerd and has probably the best relationships with manufacturers in the entire industry. How could you get Ferrari and not do these two? Otherwise, I'd have to say PD is probably is the last one to doubt when it comes to including new, recently announced cars.

GT2 sold 9m at the tail end of the PSone's life and GT4 is close to 12m.

Last week PD were spotted scanning FIA GT cars. They seem to be tagging along with Kaz as he tours various manufacturers throughout Europe.

Just checked and apparently GT3 release just a little over a year after GT2. Maybe Sony is trying to do that again. So perhaps GT6 will just be a tweaked GT5 with more cars, while GT7 on the ps4 will be the real deal.

Espada

Let's hope so. That car is gorgeous and it'd be a damn shame if PD skips it in GT6.

1bUWUyO.jpg

I'd jump for joy if GT6 has a PS4 port, but that's pretty much a pipe dream at this point.

FStop7

Banned
Polyphony needs to focus on making the cars sound better. They sounded so awful in GT5. Which is twice as shameful since most of the cars looked phenomenal.

I see some bikes and a quad in the background of that Alpha photo.

Bikes in GT6?

Kaz said that bikes being in the series would be up to fans. They had them running on the GT5 engine according to him. So we could see them in GT6 since it seems like many fans are heavily in favor of it. Of course there are others that feel that bikes should never be part of the series.

Yes!

Three good things out of this:

1 - Finally a proper Ferrari race car in GT

2 - Lancias and Alfa probably being "premium-nized"

3 - Hint that it is for GT4.

I know they are always scanning cars and adding to their database, but good hint anyways.

Regarding PS3/PS4/PSV, the most sensible thing, IMO, would be:

• GT5Spec III on PSV and PS3 - Fall 2013. Add some more premium cars (Bugatti, and newer car models) and tracks (maybe a couple of remakes from older fictictious GT tracks). Maybe bikes as well to give people a taste of what's to come.Get easy money on a Spec III release on PS3 and a system selling game on vita. Probably have exclusive mode on the vita version
  • GT6 on PS4 - Fall 2014. Go all out, all new features, tracks, cars, damage, etc etc etc. Early enough in the lifecycle to push systems, right as the 2nd gen games are coming out. Also gives Drive Club a year to try to establish itself after Evo messed up with Motorstorm 1.

I can imagine the guys at polyphony have the most boring careers.

Same thing year after year after year after year after year after year after year

I can imagine the guys at polyphony have the most boring careers.

Same thing year after year after year after year after year after year after year

Yeah, it must be terrible to be rich and get to drive and play around with some of the best cars in the world every year. :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Polyphony needs to focus on making the cars sound better. They sounded so awful in GT5. Which is twice as shameful since most of the cars looked phenomenal.
I think I read that they ran out of ram for sound effects. Seriously.

Top Bottom