• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ferrari says hi to Tesla: full electric sports car and SUV planned

llien

Ferrari will make an electric supercar (and an SUV)

“If there is an electric supercar to be built, then Ferrari will be the first,” Marchionne said, according to Bloomberg. “People are amazed at what Tesla did with a supercar: I’m not trying to minimize what Elon did but I think it’s doable by all of us.”

Both BMW and Porsche have plans to introduce all-electric supercars in the coming years. BMW says it will make an purely battery-electric version of its i8 Roadster, while the Porsche Mission E is expected to go on sale in 2019.

As for the Ferrari SUV, Marchionne was elusive about specs or a timeline, but said it would have to look and feel like a Ferrari. “It will look like whatever a Ferrari utility vehicle needs to look like,” Marchionne told AutoExpress in Detroit. “It has to drive like a Ferrari.”

It’s a significant departure from his comments in 2016 about the Ferrari SUV: “You have to shoot me first.”
Source (The Verge)

mlpR8nT.png

Full electric car trend getting closer to a critical mass, class 4 (doesn't need driver's attention) self driving vehicles promised within next 3-4 years, exciting times ahead!

Atrus

Gold Member
My next car will definitely be an EV but the prices are still definitely quite high, particularly if you are looking for a nice looking sedan like the Model 3. I'm parsing this in Canadian dollars mind you.

The faster prices drop, then the faster companies like Tesla start winning, though the other companies are now hot on their heels. Winter is still a bit of a concern given that cars are left outside in tempretures that fall to the -30 to 40's.

EV's in the 2020's should really take off once those decreasing costs and increasing battery capacities start converging.

WaterAstro

Well, everyone's doing electric. Supercar? Whatever.

I don't think this statement matters much because the EV shift has already happened.

jadedm17

Full electric car trend getting closer to a critical mass, class 4 (doesn't need driver's attention) self driving vehicles promised within next 3-4 years, exciting times ahead!
Im not sure what your job is OP but I find self driving vehicles - as driving being America's number one job - to be far more absolutely terrifying than exciting. Automation of one job millions do for a living is just the start.

Xiaoki

Im not sure what your job is OP but I find self driving vehicles - as driving being America's number one job - to be far more absolutely terrifying than exciting. Automation of one job millions do for a living is just the start.
In the US in 2016 nearly 40,000 people died in driving related accidents with another 4.6 million injured and the cost of injuries, death and property damage from vehicle accidents was $432 billion.

Ask them how they feel about self-driving vehicles taking away jobs.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Italians and electronics? What could possibly go wrong!!

I don't get it. :(

In the US in 2016 nearly 40,000 people died in driving related accidents with another 4.6 million injured and the cost of injuries, death and property damage from vehicle accidents was $432 billion.

BURN!!!

Makariel

Looking forward to seeing it, but chances are slim that I ever see one in the flesh, let alone get anywhere near the steering wheel :p

Only electric car I might be driving in the next few years is from Tamiya.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Ferrari making a 4WD/SUV? Every man & their dog are making them now. I can’t understand why they are suddenly so trendy. Ferrari shouldn’t besmirch their brand by doing this imo. A Ferrari is supposed to be a head-turner, not a bus to take the kids to the beach. Puke.

Microsoft will make one next.

black_13

Banned

And why don't you ask 3.5 million+ people that are truck drivers in the USA alone and that's not counting taxi and other delivery drivers.
Yes self driving will save lives on the road but there is going to be alot of unemployed people if the transition isn't done smoothly.

Zenaku

And why don't you ask 3.5 million+ people that are truck drivers in the USA alone and that's not counting taxi and other delivery drivers.
Yes self driving will save lives on the road but there is going to be alot of unemployed people if the transition isn't done smoothly.
When those self-driving trucks reach their destinations, who deals with the customer, gives them the invoice and has them sign for delivery? Who plugs the truck in when it stops at a charge point? Who stops people from stealing its cargo by forcing it to a stop (as simple as getting people to stand in front of and behind the vehicle)?

Self driving trucks won't need drivers, but drivers do more than just drive, and their other functions will still have to be performed by someone. It won't be the apocalypse you think it will be.

When those self-driving trucks reach their destinations, who deals with the customer, gives them the invoice and has them sign for delivery? Who plugs the truck in when it stops at a charge point? Who stops people from stealing its cargo by forcing it to a stop (as simple as getting people to stand in front of and behind the vehicle)?

Self driving trucks won't need drivers, but drivers do more than just drive, and their other functions will still have to be performed by someone. It won't be the apocalypse you think it will be.

All of that will eventually get automated, but, I welcome our automation future. I can't wait.

We'll cross the gaps when we come to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zenaku

All of that will eventually get automated, but, I welcome our automation future. I can't wait.

We'll cross the gaps when we come to them.
Personally I don't believe it ever will be fully automated. I haven't read into how companies are handling interference from third parties, but self driving cars are slaves to their sensors and could easily be manipulated.

Like my example earlier, bringing a truck to a stop to steal its contents would be all to easy, even more so in America where there's tons of empty highway. Imagine someone sends their car on its own to pick their kids up from school on its own, and on its way back down an empty road someone forces it to a stop, breaks the windows and takes the children.

Absolute full automation will come with certain risks. It may well be the companies are working on ways to combat third party interference; if anyone has any info on how they're handling security in that way, I'd love to give it a read. At the moment though, I don't think the laws that currently stop self-driving cars from driving with no one behind the wheel will be fully repealed, and countries where they currently can drive without a driver (if there are any) will implement laws to prevent it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Personally I don't believe it ever will be fully automated. I haven't read into how companies are handling interference from third parties, but self driving cars are slaves to their sensors and could easily be manipulated.

Like my example earlier, bringing a truck to a stop to steal its contents would be all to easy, even more so in America where there's tons of empty highway. Imagine someone sends their car on its own to pick their kids up from school on its own, and on its way back down an empty road someone forces it to a stop, breaks the windows and takes the children.

Absolute full automation will come with certain risks. It may well be the companies are working on ways to combat third party interference; if anyone has any info on how they're handling security in that way, I'd love to give it a read. At the moment though, I don't think the laws that currently stop self-driving cars from driving with no one behind the wheel will be fully repealed, and countries where they currently can drive without a driver (if there are any) will implement laws to prevent it.

We as a society aren't even emotionally ready for fully automated trucks, so it's a real none issue.

Realistically wouldn't be that hard would it?
Basically could licence the new Nissan Leaf tech or something, and upgrade the fk out of it and throw it in a nice coupe body

Just don't overprice it too much like the BMW i8

Last edited:

Makariel

Basically could licence the new Nissan Leaf tech or something, and upgrade the fk out of it and throw it in a nice coupe body
You make it sound like electric cars are rocket science, they've been around for about hundred years, it's just that people stopped buying them and got petrol cars instead ;-) there was a time when there were more electric cars on the road than petrol.

Razorback

You make it sound like electric cars are rocket science, they've been around for about hundred years, it's just that people stopped buying them and got petrol cars instead ;-) there was a time when there were more electric cars on the road than petrol.

Ah yes, the late 1800's. Why, there must have been dozens of them, if not hundreds!

Makariel

I didn't say there were many, just that there were more than petrol cars :D and for some time it actually looked like EV would win, since they were quiet and clean, unlike those messy and noisy petrol engines.

Razorback

What I think is most interesting about all this is that petrol engines had 100 years of innovation with billions upon billions invested into squeezing every drop of efficiency out of that technology, and here comes Tesla and in 10 years makes a car that just blows everything out of the water.

I can't wait to see what EVs are like in 10 more years.

Makariel

I wouldn't go as far as saying the Model S and X blow "everything" out of the water, Tesla has to do more work in terms of quality of the interior for example, at the moment it feels a bit... flimsy? And Renault-Nissan still has the best selling EVs, even Chevy sells more EV than Tesla. But Tesla clearly helped changing the game, got people interested who otherwise wouldn't bother about cars and forced other carmakers to rethink their approach, I applaud that.

20cent

Banned
Italian (and European manufacturers of exotics in general) aren't exactly well known for their mastery of electronics.

In the words of Jeremy Clarkson, the Italians invented electrical issues.

I'd argue that MG and Jaguar did. But yeah, even modern german cars are not safe from electronic issues.

Razorback

I wouldn't go as far as saying the Model S and X blow "everything" out of the water, Tesla has to do more work in terms of quality of the interior for example, at the moment it feels a bit... flimsy? And Renault-Nissan still has the best selling EVs, even Chevy sells more EV than Tesla. But Tesla clearly helped changing the game, got people interested who otherwise wouldn't bother about cars and forced other carmakers to rethink their approach, I applaud that.

I was referring to the Roadster 2.
  • Acceleration 0-60 mph. 1.9 sec.
  • Acceleration 0-100 mph. 4.2 sec.
  • Acceleration 1/4 mile. 8.8 sec.
  • Top Speed. Over 250 mph.
  • Wheel Torque. 10,000 Nm.
  • Mile Range. 620 miles.

Top Bottom