• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez's dev to japanese developers: "your games just suck"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's how I see it:

- Phil has yet to release a game and his game has been under development/fishing for the past 5 years;

- After getting featured in the movie and getting more publicity, he said shit about Japanese game developers without any basis to clarify his statement.

- People are picturing him as arrogant douche who is capitalizing on the new found publicity i.e. once he's back on the map after being ignored for the past couple of years;

- Instead of clarifying his statement, he goes on a pissing parade on how he is the only one to have won IGF twice and how others can suck his dick and choke on it.

Whenever you are in the spotlight, people who criticize anything you say. The last thing you want to do is present yourself as an asshole. It's best to ignore the outcry (if any) and let your product do the talking.

Sure. The guy seems like a huge, insufferable douchebag. And, it's probably not like we're taking him out of context, he's made it clear a bunch of times. I would probably avoid him if I knew him in real life. But why are we not buying his game again?

I'm not sure. I would hope so. I'd also be interested in what Microsoft has to say about this. He's representing them in a way, he's working with them and all the attention he gets is because he's making a video game that they'll sell exclusively (for a time).

His name, his game, and what he does... it's all representing Microsoft in a way.

I was thinking that after all the effort MS has done to court Japan whenever they can that maybe this wouldn't look good in that sense either.

angelfly

Sure. The guy seems like a huge, insufferable douchebag. And, it's probably not like we're taking him out of context, he's made it clear a bunch of times. I would probably avoid him if I knew him in real life. But why are we not buying his game again?

Because it's my money and I choose not to support him? Whether the game is fun or not is beside the point.

Freedom of speech counts when said over xbl's airwaves but when typed out its back to the TOS. Since Mr. Fish is accountable through twitter and articles he should really zip his lip so his game gets published.

I wouldnt pass this game up just for the soundtrack. The guy obviously likes Boards of Canada (not Japanese so its cool to like) so I'm going to play it for that alone.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

I remember trolling DICE's Demize for saying "Killzone 2 is shit" by telling him how I'm trading in Bad Company 2 to buy Call of Duty and that his game is shit.

His response: "Looks like I pissed off a few people" and he/others clarified/apologized by stating that they like what Guerrilla Games are doing (paraphrasing of course).

That right there is how you handle an argument, not by saying "Suck my dick". That right there earned is how he earned my respect.

Oh well. I'm done here.

Cipherr

Mister Saturn said:
I feel I'm justified in my response. Again for comparison:

AQJip.jpg

Wow, are you fucking kidding me? This guy.....

Amazing how one guy's opinion about recent games from japan creates a HUGE FUCKING SHITSTORM in the entire internet.

Leave him his opinion, god.

Also grow up and learn to not give a fuck about opinions you don't agree with.

I remember trolling DICE's Demize for saying "Killzone 2 is shit" by telling him how I'm trading in Bad Company 2 to buy Call of Duty and that his game is shit.

His response: "Looks like I pissed off a few people" and he/others clarified/apologized by stating that they like what Guerrilla Games are doing (paraphrasing of course).

That right there is how you handle an argument, not by saying "Suck my dick". That right there earned is how he earned my respect.

Oh well. I'm done here.

One guy works for EA and the other example doesnt work for EA. That is why you got an apology out of one guy and not another. HE STILL THOUGHT KZ2 WAS SHIT.

you just made an arguement for being a little pansy apologist. not that Fish is doing it right, but fuck that.

Liethe

Because it's my money and I choose not to support him? Whether the game is fun or not is beside the point.
I was about to reply something similar but was too late in refreshing the page and you did it first.

I don't understand what is so weird about this concept. Cave Story was a good game, Aquaria was a good game, but if their creators had done something akin to Phil Fish's current antics, would I have suffered greatly in my life for not playing their games? I don't think so.

His name, his game, and what he does... it's all representing Microsoft in a way.

So I just heard of this guy and his game yesterday. It's probably pretty telling that you can win two IGF awards and still be a nobody until you say something controversial at GDC. I dunno why Microsoft would view him as a significant threat to anything they do, or significant at all for that matter.

Actually isn't the IGF completely invalidated now? It's easy to win when you have no competition because judges don't even play the other games. The indie "community" is so crazy these days.

One guy works for EA and the other example doesnt work for EA. That is why you got an apology out of one guy and not another. HE STILL THOUGHT KZ2 WAS SHIT.

you just made an arguement for being a little pansy apologist. not that Fish is doing it right, but fuck that.

I'm not denying that at all (It was kinda my point that when you represent a company you need to watch what you spew out. Fish ain't representing anyone but himself).

Fish can say whatever the fuck he wants. Quite honestly, it just makes it easier to know who to support and who to not.

F#A#Oo

Banned
The industry should support each other not berate each other...

If he actually gave examples of why I could maybe understand where he is coming from but generalizing like that just makes me think he's just looking to stir up some trouble.

I was interested in Fez...but now I feel slightly dampened by his remarks as I love supporting game dev's...

Fez better be good or he will be hounded....

So I just heard of this guy and his game yesterday. It's probably pretty telling that you can win two IGF awards and still be a nobody until you say something controversial at GDC. I dunno why Microsoft would view him as a significant threat to anything they do, or significant at all for that matter.

He was a somebody but was out of the picture for a couple of years since his game was in limbo.

I thought that nintendo was a japanese developer.

Shh. You're ruining the whole point of this thread! Only Japanese developers that suck need to be discussed in Fish's world!

As a woman, your comment strikes me as infinitely more vile than anything Phil Fish has said.

I wish Shawn Elliott still had a platform for "Heroes of the Web." He would have a field day with this thread.

Well there's a lot of hyperbole in this thread. Seems both sides (even PHIL) can't get away from that.

Saying he's like Chris Brown is a bit overboard, I agree.

Though, I do get the sentiment that Person A is like Person B because they both do/say something that you disagree with outside of their field of work and so you decide not to support their product or them.

I understand using CB as an example to counter people in this thread who say you should only care about the product and not whether or not you should support the developer. There are plenty of cases (celebrity or otherwise) that humans clearly ignore the product due to the personality of the producer. For instance if you go to a store that sells an exclusive product you like (and they make) and the guy who runs/owns the store starts being a D-bag to you, you probably wouldn't want to support him.

People understand that. Don't give D-bags your money. Well imagine if you go to the same store and he's needlessly being venomous to another patron in the store? Some wouldn't care because it didn't directly affect them, others though would say I can't shop at a store where the owner/manager treats potential customers like that.

But yeah. Not the same. This guy is just a D-bag, not domestically abusive to women.

remnant

Banned
And Duke Nukem Forever is the best game in the world...

Oh wait.

That said, Japanese games do not suck. It's the ideology that is closed-minded is what sucks. They tend to suffer from understanding what the western market wants and vice versa. The only thing is that Western devs don't need Japan's support to survive in the market whereas Japanese devs require western support. Japanese games have this amazing esthetic to it which immediately tells you where the game is made. If anything, it's the mainstream western market that is so oversaturated to the point that indie games are overall more profitable compared to mediocre AAA titles when you look at the big picture. This is something that Japanese devs don't have in their architecture i.e. going "indie".

All in all, Japanese gaming structure needs a change. They tend to overproduce a game and they need better localization. They need an outsourced that is willing to help them make their game more appealing without the cultural boundaries on how a workplace should be. There are a lot of things different in the structure, and all I will say in the end is that Western market adapted Japan's best management traits and made it their own; Japanese devs need to be willing to change their structure as well.
I think you actually need to research what you are talking about. So much of that is just plain untrue.

JuxJuxJux

As a woman, your comment strikes me as infinitely more vile than anything Phil Fish has said.

I wish Shawn Elliott still had a platform for "Heroes of the Web." He would have a field day with this thread.

I'm not saying Phil beats women, I'm just saying he's got the hubris of a piece of shit who does.

7hzQt.png

(Thanks Zoe for the correct image host)

Some of you guys are making me seriously questioning my faith in humanity and common sense.

Let's recap what happened:

Fez Guy says "I think modern Japanese games from Japan suck, because I think so. Old games are cool though".

[MISSING REEL SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE]

People scream "OOOOH YOU BAKKA GAIJIN HAVE BROUGHT SHAME UPON MY GLORIOUS JAPANESE GAMES FROM JAPANESE JAPAN WHICH ARE JAPANESE! KUZOOO! YOU HAVE TO DIE DESU KA!"

Tell me guys, what did Fez Guy do wrong?

Also a friend told me to quote this:
"If he actually gave examples of why I could maybe understand where he is coming from but generalizing like that just makes me think he's just looking to stir up some trouble." and respond with "Except he did".

'So here goes:

If he actually gave examples of why I could maybe understand where he is coming from but generalizing like that just makes me think he's just looking to stir up some trouble.
Except he did.
EDIT: Also he's not generalizing anything. He gave his opinion. You don't have to share his opninion. Yet you feel attacked. Like someone stabbed your puppy and pissed on him. Except nobody did. YOU are the puppy. And then you was puppy.

Cipherr

WE, are not doing anything. I'm making a personal decision not to support anything he has a hand in for my own personal reasons. You are welcome to buy and enjoy the mans game, and I won't give you shit about it, I wont try and impress my point of view on you, and I won't try and change your mind, or decide how you spend YOUR money.

Extend me the same courtesy.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

xCHB4.jpg

AQJip.jpg

For starters.

People scream "OOOOH YOU BAKKA GAIJIN HAVE BROUGHT SHAME UPON MY GLORIOUS JAPANESE GAMES FROM JAPANESE JAPAN WHICH ARE JAPANESE! KUZOOO! YOU HAVE TO DIE DESU KA!"

I'm going to be curt here, there is no place for you on NeoGAF. There are other places out there that will accept you and your immature, inaccurate over-generalizing, but GAF is not one of them.

Given that he seems to enter the IGF every year and says to would-be competitors 'make a better game than mine', I'm not surprised by any of this.

What a complete and utter asshole.

I'm sorry, I thought he was being sarcastic with these "Suck my dick" lines.
Well, stupid little me, I guess...not?

What are you getting so fed up about? Because he told you to suck his dick?
Why didn't you just say "no"?
I did. He didn't tell me to suck his dick again.

cPw19.jpg

Some of you guys are making me seriously questioning my faith in humanity and common sense.

Fez Guy says "I think modern Japanese games from Japan suck, because I think so. Old games are cool though".

"If he actually gave examples of why I could maybe understand where he is coming from but generalizing like that just makes me think he's just looking to stir up some trouble." and respond with "Except he did".

'So here goes:

Except he did.
EDIT: Also he's not generalizing anything. He gave his opinion. You don't have to share his opninion. Yet you feel attacked. Like someone stabbed your puppy and pissed on him. Except nobody did. YOU are the puppy. And then you was puppy.

This is so asinine, you can't berate people for expressing their opinions of him while defending his right to. He has the right to say whatever he wants as we have the right to say he's a fucking asshole. Just because he can say what he wants (which he has every right to) doesn't mean we can't attack him for these opinions. This is called advocacy. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to support and hoping failure for someone who is a fucking hipster dudebro, however the hell he pulled that off.

bunbun777

Ha he views 50 ppp.

Thing is all this negative publicity, while enforcing some opinions to not purchase his game, is probably still going to get him more purchases over all. I will not buy the game though, so there's one more.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

'So here goes:

Except he did.

Question your own ability to parse information instead fantasizing about theoretical alternate universes where this played out instead. He heckled a japanese developer at GDC asking him a polite question, and insulted an entire industry. Blow went on to add actual discourse. Fish just chose to make a shitty twitter "apology" while still not backing down. Now the recent stuff about sucking dicks. He's a class act.

I'm going to be curt here, there is no place for you on NeoGAF. There are other places out there that will accept you and your immature, inaccurate over-generalizing, but GAF is not one of them.

All I say is that people are horribly, HORRIBLY overreacting. I don't mean people on GAF. I mean people in general.
Overreacting because someone said that Japanese games suck nowadays.

But oh well, I will keep out of this thread from now on.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This is the last tweet I make to him but I just posted the following reply (at work on IPhone so no idea how/if to make screen shot):

His peeps are about as mature as he is.

Jesus Christ, I know he's a douche but you should just take the high ground and ignore. You shouldn't even be surprised that he burned you in the first place, because you obviously sank to his level by provoking him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom