• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF1+2 (PSP) Japanese release is TOTALLY BI...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
...lingual.

yes, i know the US version is out in a couple of weeks, but those who can't wait or are in Japan already - the PSP version has an English option.

DCharlie said:
...lingual.

yes, i know the US version is out in a couple of weeks, but those who can't wait or are in Japan already - the PSP version has an English option.

Cool, but I'd rather have your animated grinning avatar back. I already have FFI&II for NES/Famicom and GBA. Triple-dipping or more is generally bad.

EDIT: Huzzah!

While this is nice for importers, the people really benefiting from it are pirates. People who want to buy it, but not get raped on price (well, even more so than MSRP) will have to wait months, while pirates can download it English now.

I don't understand why companies do this - sit on games that are done for weeks, sometimes months, before selling them. It hurts both them and honest people.

DCharlie

will have to wait months, while pirates can download it English now.

OR

people who really want to play the game now and not wait for the US version can import it from play asia or a similar place.

The internet : it makes the world much smaller.

duckroll

Thread title is deceptive! Only FF1 is out, and they're being released seperately! You can't fool us DCharlie! :lol

acklame

so do the cut-scenes have subtitles? It's bilingual all the way right, I'm not going to miss any part of the game due to it being in Japanese?

DCharlie

you chose english at the start i believe.

I haven't personally seen it myself, but people who had played it were talking about it last night.

acidviper

Banned
Square Enix fack you and your hextuple dip. How many releases have they had: NES, GBA, PSX, ZSNES, WonderSwan, PSP.
I've double dipped and plan to triple

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DCharlie said:
you chose english at the start i believe.

I haven't personally seen it myself, but people who had played it were talking about it last night.

It probably looks like this

937909_20070417_screen001.jpg

So if the game is done for English, why is it taking 3 months to get it over here

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
trancejeremy said:
While this is nice for importers, the people really benefiting from it are pirates. People who want to buy it, but not get raped on price (well, even more so than MSRP) will have to wait months, while pirates can download it English now.

hmmm.....

Red Scarlet

acklame said:
so do the cut-scenes have subtitles? It's bilingual all the way right, I'm not going to miss any part of the game due to it being in Japanese?

Unless they for some reason added 'ground sinks in the water' and stuff like that in the cut-scenes, there aren't any words shown during them anyway. The only FMV was at the very start and very end of the PS version and there was no speech in those, either. You should be absolutely fine (and there are plenty of things written for the game in both languages by now).

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
Nooooooooo.

Don't let S-E get away with this level of milking!
Yeah, I'm not gonna buy my 4th copy of FF1 and 2 either, tempting though it is for the nice boxes... I'll wait for them to hit the bargain bins.

Red Scarlet

I should ask a friend to pick them up along with FF10 when he goes to Japan, much cheaper and they'll both be out by then... #8 and #7 for them!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
load times??

what does it need to load? the whole game 20 times before you need to go into a battle?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Red Scarlet said:
It loaded on the PS1 too. FF2 had quite a bit of load time before battles.

yeah, but that was the PS1. the psp is a lot more powerful, has more ram, has a faster disc speed (i would think)...

i'll get bitten on the ass for this, but even running from the memory stick, you're looking at 2 seconds for the "battle swirl" plus 2 seconds on a white screen...

Soul4ger

Yeah, a bilingual option makes this worth buying...

Sorry, but I think this is more of an insult than anything. Right up there with Riviera and Tales of Phantasia as, "Thanks, guys, but we're not ASKING you to stick it in our asses!" Well, maybe some of us are... But I'm not.

Bebpo

Banned
Soul4ger said:
Yeah, a bilingual option makes this worth buying...

Sorry, but I think this is more of an insult than anything. Right up there with Riviera and Tales of Phantasia as, "Thanks, guys, but we're not ASKING you to stick it in our asses!" Well, maybe some of us are... But I'm not.

What?

ToP PSP is awesome (for being just a so-so Tales game) and a BIG improvement over the original because of full voice acting to flesh out the characters.

Zoe

Wario64 said:
Load times?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Elr5YvmSek4

Doesn't seem like a big deal. It's like 1 second into battle oh noesssssssss

Geez, is the encounter rate really that high??
never actually played it myself... just watched my brother play when it first came out

That guy seems to be loading the game off the memory stick, right?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I don't understand why anyone would ever buy this. If you are so eager to give away money then why don't you send me some?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You're all bitching about this game, but high resolution widescreen FF is pretty cool. They should make an new classic-style FF on PSP using this look.

DCharlie said:
OR

people who really want to play the game now and not wait for the US version can import it from play asia or a similar place.

The internet : it makes the world much smaller.
Not if you're in Europe. I can't import any PlayStation stuff :S

Zoe said:
Geez, is the encounter rate really that high??
never actually played it myself... just watched my brother play when it first came out

That guy seems to be loading the game off the memory stick, right?
Definitely off a memory stick.

Picked this up yesterday, and the game's language can be changed via the Configuration menu at any time...very nice, and allows you to talk to townspeople and read responses, change, and read the same thing in Japanese to compare.

Battle load times would only be mildly annoying (as someone said, a couple seconds of lightburst, another second or two before you are ready to input commands) but the encounter rate is very high, enough to drive the load times into significant annoyance (at least for me).

So, I spent the past few hours figuring out how to rip the UMD and play the game off my memory stick, and am now seeing almost instant battles, on par with the youtube video above.

I skipped the PS1 remake and have to say, it's gorgeous on the PSP. Crisp, vibrant, and easy to pick up in short bursts with the ability to save all over the place.

Still kind of stunned it's completely in English... :)

zoukka

sonikokaruto said:
i'll get bitten on the ass for this, but even running from the memory stick, you're looking at 2 seconds for the "battle swirl" plus 2 seconds on a white screen...

Killed it.

Gameboy versions spank ass.

Jonnyram

Actually I may end up buying this just because of the English :/
At least I'll want the English version of FF2 as that's quite annoying to play in Japanese.

Deadly

Anyone think they'll at least change the font for the US version? That font doesn't look too good compared to the usual ones they use.

teiresias

I don't really see the appeal of this. I mean, for PSP, fine, but I really dislike the art style and I think I'd rather just plop my PSOne FF:Origins disc into my either my PS3 or PS2 if I want to play one of these games.

Link1110

acidviper said:
Square Enix fack you and your hextuple dip. How many releases have they had: NES, GBA, PSX, ZSNES, WonderSwan, PSP.
I've double dipped and plan to triple

Replace SNES (If that's what you mean, there was no SNES version, despite a SNES remix of the Matoya Cave music being on one of the Japanese soundtrack Cds) with Cell phone, and add the NES FF1&2 compilation cart.

Red Scarlet

Jonnyram said:
Actually I may end up buying this just because of the English :/
At least I'll want the English version of FF2 as that's quite annoying to play in Japanese.

Surely it can't be that bad for you if I am completely able to play through it in Japanese with no problem and you know way more than I do about the language.

Link1110 said:
Replace SNES (If that's what you mean, there was no SNES version, despite a SNES remix of the Matoya Cave music being on one of the Japanese soundtrack Cds) with Cell phone, and add the NES FF1&2 compilation cart.

Don't forget the MSX for 1 and the 1+2 Famicom cart.

zoukka said:
Killed it.

Gameboy versions spank ass.

Wonderswan and probably PS1 on PSP versions spank GBA till its black and blue.

Top Bottom