• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF16 is the first true next gen game

Dutchy

No, it didn't. They were very clear the Eikon battles are parts of major story beats.
Like the OP was full of hyperbole, but so are these nonsense hot takes.
My bad. I'll reiterate.

Final Fantasy really went from my favorite turn based jrpg to a hack and slash involving monster battles.

I wouldn't care so much about my opinion if I were you.

tommycronin

The part you linked in the video basically had hit button repeatedly then a whole section of non gameplay plus a qte at the end. When will people learn.

Banned

I can confidently say this type of graphical prowess is not possible on 8th gen. Nothing else exclusive to the system has shown anything like this thus far.

this is coming to PC in a year or so, wanna bet it can run on a Steam Deck that's less powerful than a PS4?

many games on current gen wouldn't run on last gen if you just used the same graphics settings, but you can always reduce settings, which is what will happen if you play this on a low end PC that will run it just fine

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

K' Dash

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Press A to win gameplay with nice particles is a last gen signature move

Kataploom

Gold Member
Demons Souls was the first true next gen game
It's literally a PS3 game gameplay wise with a new rendering pipeline and graphics than can be easily ported to PS4 by reducing the effects quality and internal and textures resolution, nothing on it screams next gen imo, but Ratchet and Clank and even the Medium are using the CPU and SSD which makes them very hard and financially justify a port to 8th gen consoles, there's no way PS4 can run why of those even by lowering graphic quality, they're designed to run on new machines

I don't even know what next-gen gameplay means. Is it animation? Scale? Fluidity?

The greatest leaps forward in gameplay in the last decade have been Breath of the Wild (running on a shitty cell phone from 2011), Elden Ring, RDR2, and No Man's Sky (all running on a slightly better cell phone from 2011).

Tech keeps changing how the presentation makes us feel about games, and gameplay design innovations will keep happening, but we're not going to have any fundamental changes to what is possible.

We're way past that. These debates are silly.
Well...OP was talking about graphics, but no one read the OP so far so it's ok I guess. You make a good point gameplay-wise.

Comandr

This game is just so god damn flashy. When almost a third of the game is cutscene, and the rest is frantic DMC combat, I’m afraid the actual playing of the game is going to feel exhausting. This is the first FF game since SNES I’m not getting at launch. I feel like I could watch a let’s play and get the same value out of it.

Chukhopops

Ive been playing FF since 1989. It's far past time shitty turn based combat dissapeared.
I’ve been playing Mario since 1985, it’s time he stopped jumping and started using guns.

I wish it was only about the combat but there’s also no elemental affinity, no mini-games, no optional dungeons etc.

Anyway like I said, it might be good or bad. It might even be the best mainline game since X despite being more of a spin-off gameplay wise.

sendit

So First true next gen game:
676894656.jpg

Ugly last gen garbage:
EZjDyQn.jpg

Vomit inducing mid budet game from 2016
maxresdefault.jpg
Agreed. FF16 looks good, but nothing about it's graphics from this point screams next gen/amazing. However, I will hold my judgement until I play the final product. I would also argue that Horizon Forbidden West looks quite a bit better than FF16.

Last edited:

iorek21

To be frank, beside Rift Apart and its fast load stuff, nothing this gen impressed me like 2013's Deep Down presentation or Uncharted 4.

Fbh

It does not look that different from Forspoken though

IMO it looks a lot nicer. The environments seems more detailed though to be fair we'll have to wait for an extended demo or for the full game to be out to make a fair comparison as we've only seen bits of FFXVI which have been cherry picked by Square.

The biggest problem with Fospoken is the ugly flat lighting and the terrible ambient occlusion
7_HEtINm2.png

I really miss the turn RPGs where the game could be somewhat hard... Those new Jrpgs with the dumb just mash Square and watch the fight are fucking unappealing to me.

I never really got the grasp on those shit quick time events games where you have to spam a button or jut press it a couple of times and Watch the "fucking sick move duuude" happen on the screen.

The people playing modern JRPGS LUL
Winning Video Game GIF by Lil Yachty

Sure but we moved past that in one reply because Ratchet & Clank and Fortnite UE5 exist.
That's fair. I think OP should have worded their point slightly better. I do think that in terms of Non-Kojima, Japanese video games, this game does look really good and outclasses a lot of the rest. I also think that more realistic games should go for the Ubisoft style of lighting to where there's a very, very slight movie-like filter, color grading changes, and depth of field effect over it, amongst other things. There's a good use of visual trickery as to why some of Ubisoft's games held up as some of the best looking of last gen.

FRDAMS9WUAArqym.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I've said it before in a different thread, but I truly miss that small window of time where a lot of western developers were trying to emulate the movie look and feel(instead of actual real life). People wouldn't care as much about the technical level, because the games looked so good in motion.

need-for-speed-trailer.gif

ValuableSafeBeauceron-size_restricted.gif

ActiveRichFish-size_restricted.gif

That end result should be what matters the most, and I think FF16 will look great from an end result standpoint.

Last edited:

Fbh

I really miss the turn RPGs where the game could be somewhat hard... Those new Jrpgs with the dumb just mash Square and watch the fight are fucking unappealing to me.

I never really got the grasp on those shit quick time events games where you have to spam a button or jut press it a couple of times and Watch the "fucking sick move duuude" happen on the screen.

Not like the good old days of FF when you pressed X once to watch a 45 minutes summoning animation

Now that was engaging gameplay

Vblad88

I mean, are you pretending you know what that ratio is? Because like EVERY FF, there will be many hours of gameplay for every hour of cutscene. Also, it's a JRPG. I don't get the comments where people are upset that JRPG's are what JRPG's have always been.
It was announced that it would be around 10 hours of cutscenes of around 30h of the main quest. That is a lot, and would make a game hard to digest as a linear experience. It did not helped FF XIII, and it's CGIs were actually a blast.

My bad. I'll reiterate.

Final Fantasy really went from my favorite turn based jrpg to a hack and slash involving monster battles.

I wouldn't care so much about my opinion if I were you.
It's not caring about your opinion specifically, it's about correcting obvious falsehoods that the devs have spoken about at length. I'm not trying to attack you, I just corrected you because others deserve to know the truth if they are interested in the game. And i'm not just pointing out you, there's a bunch of it in this thread, including from the OP with his "True Next Gen" nonsense.

But even then, 10 was mediocre, 12 was good but had issues, 13 and 15 were just awful games. Now they finally take the game in a different direction, and some fans are pretending it's awful when they haven't even played it. And with one of the best narrative directors in the business. I understand FFXIV isn't for everyone, it's an incredible time sink, but the job he did with that game is absolutely phenomenal, so yeah, Yoshi P deserves the freedom to do what he feels is best for a dying franchise that's been propped up by it's past success on SNES/PSX, instead of it's present. This is the first attempt to change that.

FF7R proved that moving on from turn based was the right move, and so was was refining it further. Not to mention, there's a separate mode for those who don't want true action combat.

It was announced that it would be around 10 hours of cutscenes of around 30h of the main quest. That is a lot, and would make a game hard to digest as a linear experience. It did not helped FF XIII, and it's CGIs were actually a blast.
you're forgetting there isn't just the main quest. There's side quests, exploration of huge areas. He said if you mainline it, it's 30 hours iof gameplay and 10 hours of cutscenes. Now add 10-15 hours for side content. I'm guessing on the amount, but Yoshi P said there's plenty more to do.

But also, what did you expect from Final Fantasy? Cutscenes have been incredibly important since psx.

I don't know why you're comparing this to XIII, it's nothing like that. This game has huge open areas to explore throughout, it's not a hallway. Nothing could help XIII, it was an awful game with terrible characters. This isn't a true open world like Skyrim, but it's also not a linear experience like XIII. It has zones, not hallways.

Last edited:
Not like the good old days of FF when you pressed X once to watch a 45 minutes summoning animation

Now that was engaging gameplay

Yes that shit was lengthy... But at least you were required to take the decision to do that and you also have plenty of other meaningful other options to chose from...

Nowadays you just mash the "play" button(ff7 remake even has a auto play for gods sake WTF) to watch the "sick combos bruhhh".

Yes that shit was lengthy... But at least you were required to take the decision to do that and you also have plenty of other meaningful other options to chose from...

Nowadays you just mash the "play" button(ff7 remake even has a auto play for gods sake WTF) to watch the "sick combos bruhhh".
Were you forced to auto play? Why are you upset that other people have options that you don't want to use? This is an incredibly weird attitude. FF7R has far better combat than any turn based FF.

And I guarantee you can't go in to the post game mode and win by mashing the button. If you don't understand the strategy in FF7, and how you're supposed to use your party members swithching between them to unleash their abilities, that's a you problem.

you're forgetting there isn't just the main quest. There's side quests, exploration of huge areas. He said if you mainline it, it's 30 hours iof gameplay and 10 hours of cutscenes. Now add 10-15 hours for side content. I'm guessing on the amount, but Yoshi P said there's plenty more to do.

But also, what did you expect from Final Fantasy? Cutscenes have been incredibly important since psx.

I don't know why you're comparing this to XIII, it's nothing like that. This game has huge open areas to explore throughout, it's not a hallway. Nothing could help XIII, it was an awful game with terrible characters. This isn't a true open world like Skyrim, but it's also not a linear experience like XIII. It has zones, not hallways.
Being linear in design was never the true issue with FFXIII anyway. If that were the case, people would have hated Mass Effect 2 instead of giving it multiple GoTYs. The reason people point out the linearity is because the story of FFXIII dropped the ball so hard that it has nothing else to lean back on to save it. Even if the story with ME2 wasn't as good, you could still come out of it saying that the combat and combat encounters were a fun ride, which is exactly what people said in regards to Andromeda.

Last edited:
I’ve been playing Mario since 1985, it’s time he stopped jumping and started using guns.

I wish it was only about the combat but there’s also no elemental affinity, no mini-games, no optional dungeons etc.

Anyway like I said, it might be good or bad. It might even be the best mainline game since X despite being more of a spin-off gameplay wise.
jumping is fun. Turn based combat isn't, which is why JRPG sales went down year over year. Gameplay is fundamental to platformer, turn based combat is not fundamental to FF.

Also, I don't know about mini games, but there is absolutely side content.
Being linear in design was never the true issue with FFXIII anyway. If that were the case, people would have hated Mass Effect 2 instead of giving it multiple GoTYs. The reason people point out the linearity is because the story of FFXIII dropped the ball so hard that it has nothing else to lean back on to save it. Even if the story wasn't as good with ME2 wasn't as good, you could still come out of it saying that the combat and combat encounters were a fun ride, which is exactly what people said in regards to Andromeda.
Nowhere near the same thing, whatsoever. You had choices in ME. You could choose what and when to do things. Like, im not sure how you even compare the two, they are fundamentally different games. FFXIII was a literal hallway. You ran straight for the whole game, until you got one small open area to grind at the very end. It was awful. Mass Effect was a well crafted experience with choice and character, morale, romance options, like seriously, it makes me wonder if you played Mass Effect when you say something like that.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I am PUMPED for this game.....that being said, bro chill. I'm confident the game's gonna be the best FF in many a year, but nothing about its gameplay or visuals is particularly "next gen". Again, stoked on the game, but you're kinda exaggerating a wee bit. As of right now, having still not played it so take this with a mountain of salt, I think Demon's Souls still looks better.

Nowhere near the same thing, whatsoever. You had choices in ME. You could choose what and when to do things. Like, im not sure how you even compare the two, they are fundamentally different games. FFXIII was a literal hallway. You ran straight for the whole game, until you got one small open area to grind at the very end. It was awful. Mass Effect was a well crafted experience with choice and character, morale, romance options, like seriously, it makes me wonder if you played Mass Effect when you say something like that.
Yes, that choice making is part of what made Mass Effect 2 stand out as a better game, same with the gameplay, romance options, etc. but Mass Effect 2 was still a much more linear, hallway esque experience than Mass Effect 1. My issue with FFXIII is that there were an infinite amount of things they could have done to make that linearity more fun to navigate(like what ME 2 did) but they relied way too heavily on the narrative to carry the game. The narrative itself wasn't good so there was literally nothing at all for it to fall back on.

Flutta

Banned
No it wasn't. Nothing about rift apart was next gen technologically.

”next-gen technologically” what does that even mean? if Rift apart is not a current gen game then what is?

Also FF16 looks current-gen to me, game looks 🔥 from ghraphics to gameplay. Day uno!!!

Last edited:

Banned
”next-gen technologically” what does that even mean? if Rift apart is not a current gen game then what is?

it means it could run on last gen with only a few adjustments like lower res textures and no RT.

but that is true for literally every game that's out at the moment.

Chukhopops

jumping is fun. Turn based combat isn't, which is why JRPG sales went down year over year. Gameplay is fundamental to platformer, turn based combat is not fundamental to FF.

Also, I don't know about mini games, but there is absolutely side content.
It’s ok to have an opinion but you can’t say blanket statements like « JRPG sales went down year over year » when Persona and Dragon Quest keep growing with every iteration and remain turn based. It’s a choice by SE to go full action-RPG but let’s not pretend the combat system (in which you spend at least a third of the time) isn’t instrumental to a JRPG…

In the end if you say X is mediocre while 7R was good we just have fundamentally different perspectives on why we like (or in my case liked) the series.

Were you forced to auto play? Why are you upset that other people have options that you don't want to use? This is an incredibly weird attitude. FF7R has far better combat than any turn based FF.

And I guarantee you can't go in to the post game mode and win by mashing the button. If you don't understand the strategy in FF7, and how you're supposed to use your party members swithching between them to unleash their abilities, that's a you problem.
Wtf are you talking about dude? Are you straight?

I'm not upset with shit... Do you realize that this is a forum and people are supposed to share their opinions/comment o things?

I don't give a flying fuck that you like this crap, good(or bad) for you. I'm just stating my disliking for said game design and that's all.

But I have to admit that the fact that you got so offended by my statements that you posted such defensive rant is rather amusing.

Keep mashing your button(singular) and be happy with you QTE "gameplay".
"Sick combos bruh"

Gwen Stefani Singing GIF by The Voice

Last edited:
When people were ranting about this fight initially, I thought there would be like a war going on underneath with soldiers and stuff, and crazy scale. It looks like its just a kaiju vs kaiju battle with sparkles? Am I missing something?

So First true next gen game:
676894656.jpg

Ugly last gen garbage:
EZjDyQn.jpg

Vomit inducing mid budet game from 2016
maxresdefault.jpg
Horizo nは素晴らしく見えますが、高品質のアセットが混在しています.

最後の写真はよくわかりませんが、いい感じです。

新しいゲームプレイの映像は、スクリーンショットと同様に古いビルドのものです。

そのバーティクル スライスは、リベンジ トレーラーの前に作成されました。

リベンジ トレーラーは古いビルドになりました。

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Horizo nは素晴らしく見えますが、高品質のアセットが混在しています.

最後の写真はよくわかりませんが、いい感じです。

新しいゲームプレイの映像は、スクリーンショットと同様に古いビルドのものです。

そのバーティクル スライスは、リベンジ トレーラーの前に作成されました。

リベンジ トレーラーは古いビルドになりました。
giphy.gif

hyperbertha

I'm still confused at people thinking Ratchet and Clank Rift Appart looks next gen.
I mean wtf, the game, aside from those rift transition, has nothing next gen, especially during gameplay.
Most of the textures of this game are pretty low-mid resolution, and the geometry isn't really detailed.

ratchet-_-clank_-rift-apart_20210613005809.jpg

How is this next gen ? There's plenty of other examples. The game mostly shines in cinematics when zoomed in on characters, but for all the environnements (foliage, geometry and textures) it's really nothing next gen and even pales in comparison of a lot of last gen titles.

Just look at this :

How is this next gen ?

FFXVI is miles away from this in comparison, the textures resolution, geometry, hair of the characters, lighting, everything is much more advanced.

Just look at these environnements :

Best quality in this link but the sequence is not the same :

FFXVI is the first next gen game, and it doesn't rely on heavy fog to hide its flaws like other wide open field game. Horizon is baffling on this matter.

Sony games get an automatic plus 2 in graphics (for ps5 owners only)

FFXVI looks like it could be done with scaled down graphics on the PS4. There's nothing in FFXVI that makes me think it's massively improved over FF7R. Square Enix is choosing to only release it for PS5, it's perfectly doable on PS4.

Hunnybun

The people suggesting that R&C doesn't look next gen have probably forgotten what the 2016 game ACTUALLY looks like. It looked great back then but really pretty basic now compared to Rift Apart.

Rift Apart, for me, is still easily the best looking game I've played. HFW matches it in some areas but it's much less consistent and never has that "CGI" like quality that RA and now FFXVI have.

Sorry, everything shown is from older build. Game been changed a lot from older versions. Gameplay shown older version before revenge. Revenge is now old version. Asset quality very very high.

Lol the fact that horizon still manage to shat on ff16 graphic from great heights while still being a REAL open world, crossgen game should be enough to put a stop to this topic, but alas...
XVI will have higher quality assets and fidelity than horizon forbidden west, not sure about burning shores.

Variahunter

Hard ? FF games being hard ? For real most of the random encounter you would be mashing that X button to attack until the end.
Oh wait !!! I have to heal => "Strategic" battle system

Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

If you think the DMC battle system is a button masher, I mean, it sounds more like a skill issue.

Top Bottom