• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Remake: Japanese controversy regarding new Aerith design

The left side looks lovely, she seems so mature and has so much life/personality and warmth. As a game artist myself its prob one of the best interpretations of of a character ive seen, hats off to the artist. I was always team Tifa back in the 90s..this designs changes everything.

Geki-D

Banned
Aerith in the trailer looks great, I'd say she does look a bit older than 22 but she looks more like a real person. The short face "fix" looks terrible, generic CGI anime character like plenty of others in other games.

Hope the devs listen to the western fans where the game will sell more anyway.

Dacon

Banned
There's no controversy. A handful of people in a video said they didnt like it and the internet blew it up like they do everything. People acting like it's all of japan who feel this way.

It's a big nothing burger bc people are desperate for controversy surrounding this game. All of the japanese artists I follow on twitter love the design and are very excited for it. Does this mean a large portion of japanese people feel the same? Of course not.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Naw Japanese fans are fucking dumb sometimes too.

They love FFXIII and FFXV if that gives you any indication.

Hm? Most seem to hate FFXIII if 2channel, twitter, pixiv, and other social media places are anything to go by. FFXV seems more of a 50/50 split, just as it is in the west.

checkcola

I can't speak to the still photos posted in this thread, but I think she looks fine in the trailer. She's the least of my worries when it comes to the remake.

mortal

Gold Member
Hey Aeris, why the long face?

oh, right.
Damn bro, like it's one thing if people are spoiling what happens by simply stating it. You didn't need to post the exact scene.
Believe or not there are people who haven't played FF VII, but will play the remake.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Hm? Most seem to hate FFXIII if 2channel, twitter, pixiv, and other social media places are anything to go by. FFXV seems more of a 50/50 split, just as it is in the west.

I was going more by famitsu, dengeki, and shit like that which is more mainstream. Im glad to know that they have more discerning folks. Whenever I see a japanese youtube video of New Vegas or some shit I smile.

Geki-D

Banned
A handful of people in a video said they didnt like it and the internet blew it up like they do everything. People acting like it's all of japan who feel this way.
Yeah but Japan is pretty small. About 10 people there is like 48% on the populatation.
Damn bro, like it's one thing if people are spoiling what happens by simply stating it. You didn't need to post the exact scene.
Believe or not there are people who haven't played FF VII, but will play the remake.
Her dying is like the "Bruce Willis was dead the whole time" of gaming. If you have a passing interest in gaming, whether you've played it or not, you know that scene. And this is coming from someone who never played past the first boss and has no interest or love for the classic game.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Yeah but Japan is pretty small. About 10 people there is like 48% on the populatation.

Her dying is like the "Bruce Willis was dead the whole time" of gaming. If you have a passing interest in gaming, whether you've played it or not, you know that scene. And this is coming from someone who never played past the first boss and has no interest or love for the classic game.
Sure, but it's just a matter of principle, really. Hypothetically, I'm browsing a thread discussion relating to the design of a character in the upcoming remake of a popular game I've never played, although I'm interested in said remake after hearing so much about it. I get to the next page, "Hey this character dies by the way, here is the exact scene of the moment it happens".

A bit jarring no?

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I was going more by famitsu, dengeki, and shit like that which is more mainstream. Im glad to know that they have more discerning folks. Whenever I see a japanese youtube video of New Vegas or some shit I smile.

Famitsu and Dengeki are eastern versions of Kotaku and Polygon, basically. They are about as accurate of a representation of the general populous as a blind, deaf, quadriplegic trying to hit a target 800 m away using a a slingshot.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
She looks better. Still ain't gonna save a reskinned FF15. Enjoy for 4 episodes though!

Celcius

°Temp. member
This is nothing to flip a table over lol. I had to look for a few seconds to even tell the difference. She looks fine.

Whitesnake

Banned
That's still pretty unsatisfactory if you ask me.

Here is what she should look like, if you ask me, a consumer :

0DF00xc.jpg

I hope that the developers will listen ! :messenger_angry:

Nah bruh that’s too westernized.

I have the perfect design:

C01-C6-D20-5-F64-4-F29-8-D50-4888-FA126708.png

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Out of all the problems in the industry...

But you cant deny Japan now has a thing for round faces dont you think?

Just compare the original Claire Redfield to the new one

Original

images

images

images

images

New RE2 Remake version
images

If you grow up and watch anime in 80-90s and compared it to recent one i think you l noticed this too ( more rounder faces)

Im not saying its a bad thing tho

I have nothing personal against round faces

Last edited:

chaos789

Banned
Putting chemicals into your body to "relax" or "chill out" is the most insane shit ever. If winning an internet arguement with strangers doesn't calm you, nothing will.

So I take you do not drink or smoke or take any prescription medications or any over the counter medications. If you are this concerned about chemicals you might want to be more conscientious of the air you breathe, the water you drink, and the food you consume. You might want to get rid of your consumer goods, and perhaps sell your car as well.

I am not attempting to win anything. You took my comment to suggest I am a pothead. When I was saying what I did to imply people need to take a breathe and relax and not stress over insignificant things like video games. Better to direct that energy into positive action on things that actually matter.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Tifa is what it all comes down to for me as well.

She simply has to still have a large chest, that's all there is to it, it doesn't have to be completely cartoonish or anything, but there are plenty of real life women who naturally have large breasts, there's literally no reason it can't be done with the remake's more realistic style.

This has without a doubt been my biggest concern when it comes to character design. Toning her down so as to not be objectionable to perpetually offended people. Tifa was absolutely intended to be a sexy character and I'm really tired of being told that fit women with large breasts don't exist and that it's somehow nothing more than a male fantasy. Horseshit. I've known plenty of girls who fit that description. They're not rare. I don't expect her to be comically curvaceous but I do expect her body to be well endowed and her outfit to be faithful to the original.

This has without a doubt been my biggest concern when it comes to character design. Toning her down so as to not be objectionable to perpetually offended people. Tifa was absolutely intended to be a sexy character and I'm really tired of being told that fit women with large breasts don't exist and that it's somehow nothing more than a male fantasy. Horseshit. I've known plenty of girls who fit that description. They're not rare. I don't expect her to be comically curvaceous but I do expect her body to be well endowed and her outfit to be faithful to the original.

It's hypocritical body shaming bullshit, big breasts are not rare at all.

sendit

No wonder this is taking so long. Rabid fans are quick to nit pick at everything about this remake. Barrets voice, Aerith’s face, combat changes, etc...

Dunki

Japan doesn't give a single fuck about SJW and this whole Social Media madness.
Not true.

There was an interview recently with the developer of FFXiV and he also said they had o be careful about certain outfits etc because values and morals have changed in the world. They are aware o this at SE and Sony's censorship policy also does not help at all.

Lota assumption that those scenes will be kept in.

No matter if they keep this in or not there will be outrage from one of these sides. Hell we already have "controversies" or made up controversies because of Barret being too white, Areith not having the right face and huge speculations on how they will handle Tifa

No matter what SE will not be able to win this one.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
But you cant deny Japan now has a thing for round faces dont you think?

Just compare the original Claire Redfield to the new one

Original

images

images

images

images

New RE2 Remake version
images

If you grow up and watch anime in 80-90s and compared it to recent one i think you l noticed this too ( more rounder faces)

Im not saying its a bad thing tho

I have nothing personal against round faces
True, I noticed it a lot but it isn’t something big. It’s a remake after all but looks like Japan isn’t getting it

stickkidsam

Lota assumption that those scenes will be kept in.
I like to think that Square cares more about the massive amount of people who can take a joke than the small bitchy portion that takes everything personally.

I know I might be disappointed though...

No matter if they keep this in or not there will be outrage from one of these sides. Hell we already have "controversies" or made up controversies because of Barret being too white, Areith not having the right face and huge speculations on how they will handle Tifa

No matter what SE will not be able to win this one.
I think they win by just ignoring it and making the game that is still considered a masterpiece today. The moral guardians can go play with the sticks in their ass.

People are so obsessed with fictional female characters' looks nowadays... everything is analyzed to death, like what they wear, how big their breasts are, how long the legs, skin color... I don't remember this like that from the past, this extreme scrutinizing and negativity.

Creating a female character in media is a daunting task in today's world.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I don't see what the problem is, she looks fine to me. Unless I'm horribly mis-remembering Advent Children, she looks the same as that.

Vetro

That's still pretty unsatisfactory if you ask me.

Here is what she should look like, if you ask me, a consumer :

0DF00xc.jpg

I hope that the developers will listen ! :messenger_angry:

Came to say something similar.

EDIT: Pretty sure game is doomed to fail now, too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom