• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Remake looking at FFXIII saga as model for release, possible plot changes

DNAbro

Taken from Gameinformer thread

-In regards to FFVII remake. Looking at the FFXIII saga as a model of release (three full-fledged games). Each game will be the size of a FFXIII game is specifically stated. In other words full scale 30+ hour RPG, and they also say plot wise nothing is off the table in terms of changes. They clarify they aren't changing everything but Kitase, Nomura, and Nojima feel since they were involved with the original game that they have the liberty to add / change what they want while still making fans happy. They also state they want FFVII Remake to gave a much shorter development cycle than FFXV.

I didn't see a thread for this news specifically.

Man, that title is going to inspire a lot of quick posts that don't actually read the article.

Anyway, the way they sound it is actually a seriously good thing IMO. We're getting three fully-fledged RPGs with no corners cut? Sounds pretty badass to me.

FF7 fans be like "Plot changes?"

2569663-3705500310-iv498.gif

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Beats episodic nonsense, that's for sure. I'm back on board the hype train now.

Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks plot changes might mean a way to save Aeris.

If only they had said this more explicitly 4 months ago to lessen the meltdowns

Some folks were expecting 2 hour chunks

I'm interested in seeing how it's handled. I've been a strong supporter for episodic releases but not by getting one game and cutting it up into 3 $60 chunks.
I hope that at the least they have better pacing and come out at a decent time frame.

soultron

Banned
I still honestly don't think this thing will be finished. Unless they make the development times really short, I can't see FF7 Ep3 even coming out on this gen of consoles.

Look at how long FF15 has taken.

It's good that they've identified that it will be a 3-part release and they are willing to cut or change the story to make this possible, at least.

I'd be into tonnes of streamlining, honestly. No real grinding (just hide secrets or additional challenges off the main path), streamline or cut aspects of the battle system and/or materia, node-based "over world," and so on.

Beats episodic nonesense at least.

Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks plot changes might mean a way to save Aeris.

That would be dumb.

Aeris is dead, she should just be dead, maybe expound upon her a little bit to make it more impactful or something so you can justify doing it again, but bringing her back in some convoluted Chrono Trigger manner would be dumb.

totowhoa

Banned
Sounds fine to me if they keep the same major beats. I'd expect as much. They could do a lot more with some of the less fleshed out characters, too

antitrop

Sounds good. FFVII is my favorite game ever, but I'm still pretty open to change.

I just hope they don't go too far with incorporating Crisis Core/Advent Children stuff into the main game. I love FFVII for FFVII, the expanded universe stuff does very, very little for me.

If I see the word "Geostigma" in FF7R, I'm gonna be pissed.

Justinh

I always assumed that this is what they were doing with the wording they were using. Something like full-releases (not talking about the bath house...)

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I think it's good that they've said so. A "saga" of games sits much better in my stomach than a game's episodes.

edit: that said, I think it'll be frustrating to get to the end of one game in the saga to have to wait a couple years for the next one, as we've probably all beaten it and know the story and that there's more coming

Boke1879

Yea old news and expected. I'm fine with it as long as each game is content and feature rich. I'll give the devs the benefit of the doubt for now.

zeromcd73

Each game will be the size of a FFXIII game is specifically stated. In other words full scale 30+ hour RPG
+1
They also state they want FFVII Remake to gave a much shorter development cycle than FFXV.
+1

Pretty excited. Glad to finally have confirmation that each installment will be a full-fledged title.

totowhoa

Banned
Sounds good. FFVII is my favorite game ever, but I'm still pretty open to change.

I just hope they don't go too far with incorporating Crisis Core/Advent Children stuff into the main game. I love FFVII for FFVII, the expanded universe stuff does very, very little for me.

Get ready for those Genesis flashbacks

ZangBa

Can't wait for those plot changes by the mastermind behind the exploding Blitzball. Yes, I'm aware he worked on the game orginally, but times changed and so did his sanity apparently.

Sesha

"Shorter development cycle than FFXV" how, is my question. As in ten years, or the 4-5 years that the rebooted project FF15 "not versus 13 anymore" has been in development?

Beats episodic nonsense, that's for sure. I'm back on board the hype train now.

This was always the case, ever since the "episodic" talk began. This comment is for people like yourself that didn't get the memo.

BreakAtmo

I'm interested in seeing how it's handled. I've been a strong supporter for episodic releases but not by getting one game and cutting it up into 3 $60 chunks.
I hope that at the least they have better pacing and come out at a decent time frame.

You can't really do it any other way since FFVII had a massive world and story only possible due to various abstractions (off-scale world map, simpler random battles, simple animations, no voicework) that just wouldn't be acceptable today. And considering they've said they want to add even more to the story, well...

True Fire

Screenshot this: the FF7 Remake is going to be trashed by reviewers and fans alike. It'll be the Hobbit Trilogy of video games.

Wagram

I really wish they would finish the story with Gensis. That obviously doesn't happen during the FF7 setting though.

CHC

They also state they want FFVII Remake to gave a much shorter development cycle than FFXV.

Ok so we'll only be waiting 8 fucking years this time instead of a full decade.

Don't know how people got "episodic" from when they said the remake would be multiple games. Glad we got some confirmation that it'll be multiple full-scale games. Seemed obvious.

Ok so we'll only be waiting 8 fucking years this time instead of a full decade.

FFXV's development started in 2012. There would be no point in even mentioning this if they were referring to Versus.

Boke1879

I still honestly don't think this thing will be finished. Unless they make the development times really short, I can't see FF7 Ep3 even coming out on this gen of consoles.

Look at how long FF15 has taken.

It's good that they've identified that it will be a 3-part release and they are willing to cut or change the story to make this possible, at least.

I'd be into tonnes of streamlining, honestly. No real grinding (just hide secrets or additional challenges off the main path), streamline or cut aspects of the battle system and/or materia, node-based "over world," and so on.

They did say they want this to have a shorter dev time than FFXV so we'll see. I mean they'll be continuously working on this I'm sure. They'll already have assets. It's just about putting the story and environment together. I expect part 1 to be close to release around the end of 2017.

SheHateMe

I like the three act idea.

Act 1 is the Opening until the team leaves Midgar.
Act 2 is exploring the world until Cloud
hands over the Black Materia and Aeris/Aerith is killed.
Act 3 is Cloud's
awakening
and the end of the game.

Simple, really.

They can cram so much into that. The Turks show up across all three games, Cid, Red XIII, Yuffie and Vincent don't arrive until game 2, the WEAPONS don't arrive until the end of game 2, the Golden Saucer and Costa Del Sol are relaxation points, etc., etc.

Hmmm. I was already excited before, but now I'm getting kinda hyped beyond what I should be.

Top Bottom