• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Remake: Tifa Isn't Getting a Smaller Chest, Just a Proper Bra

SonGoku

I said the real Tifa....

d3eu3hs-94bb3e31-7a07-4404-9a9f-0f305fb984c1.jpg

Perfection.
Gross no ty

Dacon

Banned
I just find the added black under the white of the tank top to be unsightly. Do we really need to see the sports bra to know it's there?

Also I'm so tired of seeing the word incel I feel like my eyes are going to bleed every time I see it. Same whenever I see IGN.

MagnesG

Banned
Lol I don't fucking care anymore, as soon as I saw that 'ethics department' being used as a countermeasure, my attention had already reach an all-time low. So I will expect all other similar modifications would be made, like that brothel thing etc. I accepted already, it is what it is. Maybe after game was out and the gameplay was real good, I'll get it. For now, I call it BS, same thing with Sony's vague censorship policy which I still call the ultimate bullshit of all. Might be related to it for all I know.

So have fun guys, but let's not get that triggered when the issue had been discussed through and through with both translation, before and after. I still believe GAF are not that sensitive from loose cannons translating misdirection.

Also lol, a NeoMember requested so you consider it? @Whataburger, who is it my dude? It hurt some much my beloved title is being hated? What, a NeoMember can't continue bashing from to old threads so he/she want to start with a new one eh. This is just ridiculous.

Last edited:
Tifa's breasts are smaller, they covered up her skin, end of story. I swear people trying to twist and contort to explain away like EA at a congressional hearing. Most people won't care, some of us do. Some folks are so comfortable slapping labels on people just because their tastes don't align.
335.gif

Last edited:

Pejo

Apparently I'm still the only one that's more bothered by the safety shorts and utili-kilt instead of the ol' miniskirt.

-MD-

That SJW pressure is mostly relevant to the US. The rest of the world doesn't care that much and I assume that goes double for JP/Asia.

There was a screenshot of a japanese forum full of people throwing fits over this.

Astartes

Banned
Tifa's breasts are smaller, they covered up her skin, end of story. I swear people trying to twist and contort to explain away like EA at a congressional hearing. Most people won't care, some of us do. Some folks are so comfortable slapping labels on people just because their tastes don't align.
335.gif
So you prefer Tifa having no sports bra and having her large breasts moving freely? Again the designer wanted to give her a sporty look, having her large boobs bouncing everywhere isn’t sporty.

kunonabi

Apparently I'm still the only one that's more bothered by the safety shorts and utili-kilt instead of the ol' miniskirt.

All the changes are awful. The old design almost had these little touches of old west influence to it and all that is gone now.

So you prefer Tifa having no sports bra and having her large breasts moving freely? Again the designer wanted to give her a sporty look, having her large boobs bouncing everywhere isn’t sporty.

If they wanted to give her a sporty look why did they glam the hell out of her from the neck up? Why did they give freaking stockings? Why did they make the white top way lower cut than it was? Nothing about the rest of her design screams sporty so I sincerely doubt that that was the actual reason for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

It isn't real, it's all made up bullshit. If they can make a 150lb man twirl a giant steel blade like it's made of foam, they can have a sporty badass with large tits.

MagnesG

Banned
There was a screenshot of a japanese forum full of people throwing fits over this.
I saw the pic, and it's full of passive rage apparently to West pandering from their perspective? Now I'm just sad that's what Japanese people perceive. Lol Western audience not liking those big boing boing anymore.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Lol I don't fucking care anymore, as soon as I saw that 'ethics department' being used as a countermeasure, my attention had already reach an all-time low. So I will expect all other similar modifications would be made, like that brothel thing etc. I accepted already, it is what it is. Maybe after game was out and the gameplay was real good, I'll get it. For now, I call it BS, same thing with Sony's vague censorship policy which I still call the ultimate bullshit of all. Might be related to it for all I know.

So have fun guys, but let's not get that triggered when the issue had been discussed through and through with both translation, before and after. I still believe GAF are not that sensitive from loose cannons translating misdirection.

Also lol, a NeoMember requested so you consider it? @Whataburger, who is it my dude? It hurt some much my beloved title is being hated? What, a NeoMember can't continue bashing from to old threads so he/she want to start with a new one eh. This is just ridiculous.
Are you asking who requested the thread? It is on the OP literally first line.

stickkidsam

Smaller compared to what though; the FMV's that were inconsistent through the game, the original concept art, or what about her multiple other portrayals through the series?

Nice seeing the translation being fixed up, but it doesn't really solve the initial problem, because it's still nonsensical and seems like a bad excuse.

Do they think a "proper bra" will help that much against gravity? :messenger_weary:
A quick look at big breasts and sports bras videos, as well as considering my own experience, they don't cancel out gravity. I find the general explanation very flimsy when considering the overall context. "Realistic" is thrown out and unnatural, but considering the actions she does and her breast size, those breasts will have a notable swing of the breasts, if they were to go by realism or what's "natural". More so, it begs the question why an "ethics department" would be concerned about "realism" and "unaturality", considering that they apparently themselves had a realistic outlook here in terms of design from the beginning.

I would find it easier to chew that "don't make the breasts stand too much out, it might cause a scandal or it might affect age ratings" would be a thing an ethics department would be concerned with, than "oh no, we just gave her a bra" because of "muh realism wanted from ethics department". Did we again forget how completely unrealistic Cloud lifting Buster Sword is and how unnatural the whole movement looks? It's far more ridiculous than we actually think. If they cared about the moving of the breasts being "unnatural", they could just not make it interact with physics in a ridiculous fashion or do a slight morph like it seems they're currently doing (correct me on this if I'm wrong). It's fantasy isn't it? "Oh no we had to add a sports bra, because that will keep her breasts in almost total check and that's completely natural." The girl flips and jumps around at ridiculous speeds. Her breasts will jiggle quite a bit when you're wearing fabric..

I'm not that naive that I'm gonna buy a lazy excuse. If you do something, at least have the guts to own up to it, instead of coming with these weird inconsistent reasons. I could at least prefer the transparency in that case. I doubt anyone would be surprised at big breasts moving a lot, even with a good sports bra. It's definitely not "unnatural", which is a cop-out excuse. It's not like I'm not going to buy the game because they decided to self-censor the game based on a business decision. So it just seems overall like a lazy excuse to me.

It's like DOA, which is without doubt a fanservice game aimed at those attracted to women, as the chests of women react to gravity and the men not. If DOA tries to tout that it's a serious fighter going for realism, then I call bullshit on that obviously. One of my suggestions in the DOA6 thread was that they should've moved away from "muh breast physics" and focused on soft body physics, with less focus on a specific gender. Perhaps even have a hidden code for offline or story-mode (or for all modes, depending on if they wanted the online and esports focus to not have it) that would make the women have ridiculous breast physics and the men ridiculous dong physics.
Instead DOA6 was a big shitshow because they had no idea what they were supposed to tell that the product was and no one bought their excuses. It was like a Comical Ali moment. And this Tifa thing is nearing that territory, though obviously not to the same extent.

bagdad-bob.jpg

Really. Does them spending that effort on changing Tifa's design and her tits matter overall for me in the game? It matters very little, in fact, my main issues are story, character depictions and pacing. Tifa's tits is inconsequential in that scale (though I am very much someone who prefers characters staying true to the original. Fuck those glasses on Barret). It definitely wouldn't make me not buy the game. But the ridiculous excuses we get is just annoying. In my opinion S-E tried to tread the line in-between the two groups who would be "outraged" (for a couple of days or so) and find a middle road, but they could at least avoid coming with the weirdest excuses.
When it comes to a forum metacommentary, I generally dislike trying downplay people's concerns as well. I had the same problem when GAF back in the day thread whined about criticisms of sexualization or Anita Sarkeesian's criticisms of portrayal of women. That said, I had assumed most people had accepted the reality and Squeenix's middle-of-the-road solution (I believe my comment in the thread was hate the undershirt/sports bra look and slightly bigger breasts would've been preferred, though wouldn't matter as much), then an article like this pops up making the whole issue come up again and remind us of the ridiculous reasons that are cited.

Square-Enix, at least honestly just say it as it is. Tifa's breasts aren't going to make or break the game, either way, but at least have the guts to come with something that seems like the truth or preferably is the truth. Or just shut up and wait for it to pass and come with a better excuse next time.

What is this? Are we talking about fucking sports cars right now lol?

tom.png

MagnesG

Banned
Are you asking who requested the thread? It is on the OP literally first line.
Okay I'm dumb and sleepy, sorry...

aaand now that I saw who is it, I get it. That one poster always jumping to extreme conclusion multiple multiple times. Typical ReeEra member personality.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not that naive that I'm gonna buy a lazy excuse. If you do something, at least have the guts to own up to it, instead of coming with these weird inconsistent reasons. I could at least prefer the transparency in that case. I doubt anyone would be surprised at big breasts moving a lot, even with a good sports bra. It's definitely not "unnatural", which is a cop-out excuse. It's not like I'm not going to buy the game because they decided to self-censor the game based on a business decision. So it just seems overall like a lazy excuse to me.
We have over 300 different videogames with characters of bigger proportions and they don't jump all over the place since they aren't real. They are models that don't adhere to the real world. The entire thing is silly but that was his explanation on the subject yes.

Last edited by a moderator:

3March

Banned
The fact that people are crying about sports bra on a fictional character is fucking absurd. The gaming community never stops topping itself, and entertaining with its boundless pettiness and stupidity.

GreenAlien

I don't really care about her breast size or how much they jiggle. I just don't want moralizers disfiguring fiction/artistic vision. Their destructive input is neither needed nor wanted.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Twitter people are really stupid. Not only do they equate data in a videogame to women irl but they listen to cosplayers.

ZeroGravity

335.gif
Her breasts have never been depicted at that size outside of those original FMV scenes. That weren't even that big in her official FF7 artwork, so the inconsistency goes all the way back to the original game. If you want to get mad at them for this, it's something that should be directed at Square of 20 years ago. Her design in FF7R is consistent with her size everywhere else since then; they just gave her a sports bra. That's it. This isn't worth being pedantic over, nor is it them caving into stupid SJW demands.

DryPancakes

Banned
The fact that people are crying about sports bra on a fictional character is fucking absurd. The gaming community never stops topping itself, and entertaining with its boundless pettiness and stupidity.

Yes, arguing over polygonal boobs is absurd, as much as thinking a fictional characters NEEDS a sports bra in the first place. This is an absurb disscussion all around, you say it as if the "gaming community" hasn't been coopted by feminism and other pettiness and stupidity bullshit for the past 5 to 6 years, we're just seeing the results in the form of idiotic arguments about "realism" and "ethics", that's what people are "crying about".

Bullshit.

The end result is what it is, no matter how they chose to mask it. And some people are really, really dumb for going around eating their bullcrap and repeating it.
Not as dumb as gamers overreacting to the latest "controversy". The end result is breasts on a fictional video game character being just a little bit more covered up with a black undershirt/sports bra. Sad because that's all you need to get the social justice "us versus them" train rolling on internet forums. How Square Enix decides to explain such a minute change isn't going to affect anyone actually interested in playing this remake so why continue to give it attention?

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Not as dumb as gamers overreacting to the latest "controversy". The end result is breasts on a fictional video game character being just a little bit more covered up with a black undershirt/sports bra. Sad because that's all you need to get the social justice "us versus them" train rolling on internet forums. How Square Enix decides to explain such a minute change isn't going to affect anyone actually interested in playing this remake so why continue to give it attention?
Let's ignore this and let me ask you a question. Do you agree with them having an ethics department?

Dacon

Banned
How Square Enix decides to explain such a minute change isn't going to affect anyone actually interested in playing this remake so why continue to give it attention?

It already has, for better or worse. People who want this game already preordered it and are giving their opinions one way or another. Some approve, some don't. If you think the only people who care are the ones who aren't going to play it you are neither familiar with the FF7 fanbase or the gaming community at large.

Silly blanket statements like this often wind up being completely irrelevant.

Last edited:

Banned
this whole Tifa thing was so absolutely dumb from the very start...
she has massive tits, no matter if you look at the PS1 or the PS4 version, they are huge.

and comparing a PS1 ingame model (which a lot of people did) to a PS4 model is just ridiculous

Enjay

Banned
Squenix's sports bra story is probably the weakest lie told by any entity having anything to do with this industry. lol even Peter Molyneux would shake his head at that.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It hasn't shown to have affected the story, gameplay and graphics quality so I don't take any issue with them.
They already made somebody alter an iconic characters look based on their output. But since it doesn't affect gameplay,graphics and the story it is fine? Makes sense, got it.

Reactions: Fuz

zenspider

Anyone remotely familiar with the charcater can see that is obviously the case.

It's a total over reaction for sure.

Kinda. I don't think anyone really overreacted on either "side". The only real issue was the notion that there was an "ethics board" that made the call, but apparently, has been a thing for decades in Japan (source: HardcoreGamer101).

This was a very "woke smoke" where there's no fire, pumped for clicks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom