• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFVII: Remake producer talks about the game

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Mostly a recap of what we already know, but with some interesting new tidbits.

Midgar is going to be stylized and have a lot of color:
While many people may think that Midgar is very dark at first glance, we have a design aesthetic where the city has strong elements of colour and variety. The lighting and colouring we are using throughout Midgar accentuate what is unique about FINAL FANTASY VII’s world. We decided not to use a photo-realistic approach with the design, but instead something more stylised, honouring the artistic designs and choices of the original.

The game will retain large skill selection like you would usually expect from turn-based RPGs (as it was in the original):
The system we’ve created retains the strategic decisions of controlling multiple party members, allowing you to select from a wide range of abilities and spells. You can control your favourite character while issuing orders to others, or leave them to AI. And choose when to switch to a different party member to make best use of their unique abilities in battle. This allows all players to choose and enjoy your favourite way of playing.

Finally, yes we still have Materia. You can use it to tailor your play style and abilities.

Last edited:

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
I can't believe I am actually really, really excited for the FFVII remake. What a timeline we are on.
I was always curious how they would implement the Materia system. Console action RPGs usually offer a lesser amount of skills because there's not enough keys to bind those skills to. Or, if we look at Kingdom Hearts, for example, it's usually troublesome navigating through menus in real time. This would have made materia, as we know it, a poor system to implement into this genre without massive changes.

But with an ATB system existing in parallel to normal action combat, and with tactical mode as it works, it makes perfect sense.

Myths

The ATB present in this is functionally similar to those found in the 2D FF’s in Wait mode. ATB gauge slowly fills over time, once the menu reappears (or you cycle through a sub-menu) the entire battle field and queue comes to a halt. Only difference here is there’s real-time action and movement mixed in. Reminds me of PE but with more freedom of real-time execution.

This system also seems like the natural evolution of KH2 except (even with shortcuts) the action/command selection appears to be more manageable thanks to Wait (“Tactical”) mode. Lessens the stress of D-pad usage compounded by camera angle with the adjacent stick axis - that hurt me in KH2 quite often.

Last edited:

Yumi

Thank god for the non realistic approach. Shit didnt make sense in ff7 and I loved it for that. Just the way things were put together in the slums. Nothing looks like it. It sounds like theyre approaching this by not taking itself too seriously which I personally think is the best route.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Thank god for the non realistic approach. Shit didnt make sense in ff7 and I loved it for that. Just the way things were put together in the slums. Nothing looks like it. It sounds like theyre approaching this by not taking itself too seriously which I personally think is the best route.
In the first teaser in 2015, they showed off a Midgar with a more realistic, "real-life" look. I wonder if they're still going with that approach, or if it was scrapped by now.

For reference:

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm curious how much game will be in Part One.
Obviously Materia will be limited and a lot of new stuff will be added to make it less linear and to fill the game out a̶ ̶b̶i̶t̶ a lot

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm curious how much game will be in Part One.
Obviously Materia will be limited and a lot of new stuff will be added to make it less linear and to fill the game out a̶ ̶b̶i̶t̶ a lot

We already know Summons have been added to Midgar which were never there before (at all), so I wouldn’t be so sure about “limited material”.

Though i will be pissed if we start seeing end game material like Knights of the Round already.

Last edited:

Yumi

In the first teaser in 2015, they showed off a Midgar with a more realistic, "real-life" look. I wonder if they're still going with that approach, or if it was scrapped by now.

For reference:

Its more the original used real life objects, but the way they put them together in the maps was artistic and weird. Just one scene of the slums has a ton of real life objects repurposed in weird and experimental ways almost to the point of being nonsensical. I remember them saying they have to redesign Aerith's home because there was s waterfall where the water didnt go anywhere. I remeber believing they could never do a remake just because of the shear amount of objects they have to render into 3d. I honestly cant think of a harder game to remaster given the scale, density, and expectation.

Yumi

We already know Summons have been added to Midgar which were never there before (at all), so I would be so sure about “limited material”.

Though i will be pissed if we start seeing end game material like Knights of the Round already.
We also know we'll have access to weapons not previously available in Midgar due to Cloud weilding Hardedge in the trailer.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
We also know we'll have access to weapons not previously available in Midgar due to Cloud weilding Hardedge in the trailer.
Hardedge could be stolen from an enemy in Shinra Headquarters, but yes, if the entire game takes place in Midgar, it's likely that characters will have access to a large amount of weapons, old or new.

Last edited:

Yumi

Hardedge could be stolen from an enemy in Shinra Headquarters, but yes, if the entire game takes place in Midgar, it's likely that characters will have access to a large amount of weapons, old or new.
Dang, you're right. I agree though, only having access to the weapons found in Midgar would be very limiting. Which now makes me realize they will probsbly have to add some end game content to make up for it. This gamr just brings up so many questions :D

Pagusas

Elden Member
This game makes me simultaneously nervous, excited, and anxious. FFVII is probably the most important game of my whole life.

I mean they basically said it would cause those emotions in the very first trailer lol.

D.Final

Banned
Very interesting interview :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Hype over 9999 x 15 = Omnislash :messenger_smiling_hearts:

e6SR4Bv.gif

Top Bottom