• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFVII: Remake Trailer

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much. They should have stuck to the traditional combat. This just looks like FF15 with a new skin.
This is the new Kingdom Hearts 3. I don't get why people are saying "this is too big to not be episodic!" when fucking FF12 was and that shit was also huge. Squeenix needs better management and I honestly don't see how people still trust them after FF15/KH3.
My fan theory is that S-E is dividing all attention and resources into making THIS

As perfect as it gets! If that's the case.... Take all your time, SE! :messenger_heart:

I never even saw that attack since I'd kill him after 1 turn.

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberPanda

Banned
This is the new Kingdom Hearts 3. I don't get why people are saying "this is too big to not be episodic!" when fucking FF12 was and that shit was also huge. Squeenix needs better management and I honestly don't see how people still trust them after FF15/KH3.

Oh yes, it does remind me of that too.

You never fought him by just following the main story? You've missed something then. First time I fought him I never did the side content and I was somewhere around mid lvl 50s or low 60s. That combined with me being bad at slotting materia, made the battle somewhat challenging.

Its episodic because Tetsuya "Turtle" Nomura dunno how to keep up with the deadline. Such a GREAT manager

Why shit on Nomura? His area has mainly been Kingdom Hearts. The time between KH1 and KH2 was just 3 years. Between that you had even Chains of Memories.
All of the trouble that can happened for Square Enix was during the PS3 era, whereupon everything was a mess with the transition to PS3 and HD development. Especially due to their new engine (which ended up not being used in either FFXV nor KH3) and the resources thrown at FFXIII. And the large amount of early announcements surely didn't help when it came to this.

kevin_trinh

Why shit on Nomura? His area has mainly been Kingdom Hearts. The time between KH1 and KH2 was just 3 years. Between that you had even Chains of Memories.
All of the trouble that can happened for Square Enix was during the PS3 era, whereupon everything was a mess with the transition to PS3 and HD development. Especially due to their new engine (which ended up not being used in either FFXV nor KH3) and the resources thrown at FFXIII. And the large amount of early announcements surely didn't help when it came to this.
Every game was a mess when Nomura is the lead director, coincident? I think not.

Celcius

°Temp. member
If this is a timed exclusive on ps4, I’m wondering how long until the game is released and then later released on other systems.

Dacon

Banned
Every game was a mess when Nomura is the lead director, coincident? I think not.

Kingdom Hearts 1, 2, and Birth By Sleep were fine. His only real mess was FFXV. KH3, while it faulters in a lot of ways is by no means a mess either, just under realized.

Last edited:

kevin_trinh

Kingdom Hearts 1, 2, and Birth By Sleep were fine. His only real mess was FFXV. KH3, while it faulters in a lot of ways is by no means a mess either, just under realized.
Thats mean he can only manage a small PJ like KH and can't manage bigger PJ.

KH1? KH2? KH:COM? KH:C?

Nope. The only examples that can be pointed to are FFV XIII and KH3, both which suffered due to Square's terrible foray into HD development. Both were revealed on early concept stage as well with only CG videos. FFV XIII didn't start development until 2006, then being split between FFXIII in 2008 because of FFXIII being a mess. Even as late as 2010 it still was only working with a skeleton crew of artists and writers. 2011 still in pre-production stage. Then started full production in late 2011. Then platform and name change in 2012. Then further restructurings in 2013.
Nomura was thus busy with FFV XIII on a smaller scale for a long time of development, with KH3 just being mostly conceptual and in pre-production. Then in 2014 he was out of FFXV and focused on KH3 instead. Which was released in 2019, despite a change of engin. So not really a big mess at all. Only thing you can put on him is FFV XIII and that would have to be viewed in context of all the troubles Square had during the PS3 era and all the bullshit with engines and splitting off of resources. At best you could complain that Nomura is more creatively driven than being production and budget oriented one, but I'd rather want the game to be good than just done.

Despite all of that and KH3 being weaker than the previous entries, KH3 is still better than FFXV and FFXIII (only good thing about that game was Sazh). Heck, his FFV XIII (the little video we got) looked more interesting than FFXV turned out to be. So Nomura is still the G.

EDMIX

I hope it comes to Xbox too. Probably will, just some timed exclusive bs again like always

Square Enix has a Livestream/Briefing next month.

Who knows, if Square brings it to XB might be based on if FFXII and those other ports actually do well. I don't know that they are doing this simply because of some deal, it might just be how historically those JRPGs just don't do as well on XONE.

kevin_trinh

KH1? KH2? KH:COM? KH:C?

Nope. The only examples that can be pointed to are FFV XIII and KH3, both which suffered due to Square's terrible foray into HD development. Both were revealed on early concept stage as well with only CG videos. FFV XIII didn't start development until 2006, then being split between FFXIII in 2008 because of FFXIII being a mess. Even as late as 2010 it still was only working with a skeleton crew of artists and writers. 2011 still in pre-production stage. Then started full production in late 2011. Then platform and name change in 2012. Then further restructurings in 2013.
Nomura was thus busy with FFV XIII on a smaller scale for a long time of development, with KH3 just being mostly conceptual and in pre-production. Then in 2014 he was out of FFXV and focused on KH3 instead. Which was released in 2019, despite a change of engin. So not really a big mess at all. Only thing you can put on him is FFV XIII and that would have to be viewed in context of all the troubles Square had during the PS3 era and all the bullshit with engines and splitting off of resources. At best you could complain that Nomura is more creatively driven than being production and budget oriented one, but I'd rather want the game to be good than just done.

Despite all of that and KH3 being weaker than the previous entries, KH3 is still better than FFXV and FFXIII (only good thing about that game was Sazh). Heck, his FFV XIII (the little video we got) looked more interesting than FFXV turned out to be. So Nomura is still the G.
Its just show that Nomura can not manage multiple PJ. Also in that time frame Tabata working on FF type 0, 3rd birthday and Crisis Core, took over FF15 from 2013 and release it in 2016, and got all the blame for the mess Nomura left behind. FF will be doomed as long as Nomura still in charge

Its just show that Nomura can not manage multiple PJ. Also in that time frame Tabata working on FF type 0, 3rd birthday and Crisis Core, took over FF15 from 2013 and release it in 2016, and got all the blame for the mess Nomura left behind. FF will be doomed as long as Nomura still in charge

You're not making a good argument here.
FF Type-0, meh game.
3rd Birthday, disaster game.
Crisis Core, okay game, in context of being a PSP game, great game.
FF15, meh game.

No point doing multiple developments if all your games turn out shit or mediocre. The time he dabbled in various PSP projects (which released between 2007 and 2011, a 4!!! year span) only turned out one good game (Crisis Core). He spent 3 years making a game that had pre-production done and 25% production done and made it into a mediocre game that disappointed almost everyone. Golfclap.

Meanwhile from 2002-2005 (3 years!) Nomura released Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts: CoM and Kingdom Hearts II. Two of those being AAA games and acclaimed.

EDMIX

So was RE2, but at least the game was the same, even with a new camera. The gameplay and everything else was the same, same healing, same weapons etc.

This isn’t a remake, it’s a reimagining, and imo far more so than it should be. When you change too much, it’s better to just make a new game rather than do this.

"So was RE2, but at least the game was the same, even with a new camera" You even read what you stated? " game was the same" and then states "new camera" sooooo you can't have it both ways bud, either the game was the same, or something new was added....

Can't really be both. As someone that beat the original RE2 many times and the remake at least 5 times on several different modes, they are very much different in that the remake isn't solely JUST a new camera. Parts of the story have been changed to make more sense ie Chief Irons having a whole story part in the game, completely different items and weapons even placement of them, controls are not just slightly different, it plays physically NOTHING like RE1,2,3 etc. So that isn't just a new camera added and we are done, its a entire list of changes the team likely wanted for years and now have the technology to make it work the way they might have always wanted if they got a second chance to make it, ie RE MAKE IT.

That is what FFVII is for Square's team, so you are not really talking about something that different.

So a remake is them making something again.... That means changing some elements bud, clearly graphically, story, new weapons, different gameplay elements, feel etc.

That is what RE2 remake is, so if you want to say that is actually a "re imagining" now, you might want to actually define yourself what you think a remake actually is though as you starting to split hairs here

Keep in mind, a re imagining can also be a remake, ie they remade so much they re imagined many elements. So I'm not sure this is even something based on a degree of as the nature of remaking something will have MANY elements changing.

EDMIX

I agree. I think his role might need to be limited and they need to get another director on board. I liked FFXV for what it is and feel Tabata doesn't get the respect he deserves, that dude basically SAVED FFXV and was able to fix enough to have a solid release. FFXV isn't GOTY or anything like that, but its a solid release and the director was able to at least shape it to be a solid product. Who knows what it could have been if he was director from the start and Nomura was just part of the concept, producer etc role. I think he has great concepts don't get me wrong, but I don't trust the dude to execute a project anymore.

10 years isn't a normal development. The Last Guardian can take a pass on that as its already pushing soooo many ideas in uncharted territory , FFXV is a great game, but its not as if we didn't have open world titles before. That being said, the team did a great job with FFXV and I think its gets a lot of unnecessary hate. Folks need to be glad that the only real bad junk with FFXV was its weird story and ok combat. It was playable, had a quality world setting with so much to do and detail and no massive bugs that plagued the game. It could have been, much, much worse.

stickkidsam

Respect to Tabata for managing what he did with FFXV. I won't say I wasn't disappointed, but taken as its own thing, it was pretty impressive. A solid 3.5/5 ⭐

The updates apparently improved the shit out of it, so I'mma have to try it again.

Nomura though? That man is a fuckin visionary who had to carry the baggage of Square's shitty decision making and management. Not saying that his games are all masterpieces, but the man has a lot of great ideas that when done right can make something amazing. I really can't wait to see how much of Versus XIII made it into this game.

Psykodad

Banned
How is it a thing from the past? It's like saying FPS are "from the past" because now most games are TPS.

Turns is one genre and its still alive and running. Persona5, Dragon Quest XI, Octopath Traveler....all games critically acclaimed and with good sales.
"or niche at least"

Also, what's with shitting on turn-based combat? It's still one of the best genres in terms of execution.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant shows how varied it can be:

And while in other ways a meh game, FFX2 showed how it could be both suspenseful, fast and add new things like combos.

Often action-based combat is as brain-dead as a lot of turn-based combat, as you're just pushing attack and adding the occasional ability to it.
I think a lot of people also prefer the lack of stress with turn-based combat and how they're managing resources overall and controlling a whole party, instead of mostly focusing on a single character. They like the simplicity of it and not struggling with cameras.
While some also like action-based combat, even it might be equally braindead, it feels more responsive and engaging for them. They like that action and prefer focusing on one character instead of playing the menu. I can get that as well, as I love the battle system of Star Ocean: The Second Story and Till the End of Time and even Kingdom Hearts. Though that often also turns your party as less important and you feel less care for the overall building of a party.

kevin_trinh

You're not making a good argument here.
FF Type-0, meh game.
3rd Birthday, disaster game.
Crisis Core, okay game, in context of being a PSP game, great game.
FF15, meh game.

No point doing multiple developments if all your games turn out shit or mediocre. The time he dabbled in various PSP projects (which released between 2007 and 2011, a 4!!! year span) only turned out one good game (Crisis Core). He spent 3 years making a game that had pre-production done and 25% production done and made it into a mediocre game that disappointed almost everyone. Golfclap.

Meanwhile from 2002-2005 (3 years!) Nomura released Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts: CoM and Kingdom Hearts II. Two of those being AAA games and acclaimed.
All of the game i mention has highly praise, espcially FF type 0 and FF CC. Don't forget that SE choose to kick Nomura out of FF15 instead of Tabata, because they know that Nomura guys is very bad at management. FF15 is bad because of the mess Nomura cause, and he's also turn the story in KH series to shit.

Last edited:
All of the game i mention has highly praise, espcially FF type 0 and FF CC. Don't forget that SE choose to kick Nomura out of FF15 instead of Tabata, because they know that Nomura guys is very bad at management. FF15 is bad because of the mess Nomura cause, and he's also turn the story in KH series to shit.

FF Type-0 wasn't "highly praised". Metacritic tells us that much. FF CC would be a better example, but even that was good in view of it being PSP. It did however have multiple flaws that also includes the story. As far as PSP games BbS is better than CC in my opinion. So Tabata only had CC as a success and it's a complicated one because I don't view it as having a positive effect on the FFVII franchise.

Also citations needed for SE's view of Nomura. I have no doubt that he's not the most production efficient person, but I prefer someone who's obsessed about getting concepts and the idea of the game right, instead of someone shuffling a mediocre game together in time.
Square Enix suffered under various problems at the time that can't be attributed to Nomura, but further up and in regards to their overall strategy:

They made various changes in terms of management during the period as well and generally had no "great games" being released. That's why people have felt japanese developers like Square Enix failing ever since the switch to HD development. That's why you have people referencing pre-XIII days as the good old days. That's why you have Nomura using Unreal Engine 4 for KH3 and FFVII Remake.

"Muh Nomura" is just a bad excuse and it can only be attributed to a single game that existed during a tumultuous time for Square Enix with troubles all around. The guy released 3 great games in 3 years as sole director during the PS2 era.
Now, I can give you the problems that were caused in terms of story in Kingdom Hearts, but that's because of creep, with each title getting new concepts and them having to be spun together. That's a problem I'd attribute to Nomura (because of being a very conceptual and visionary guy) as well as generally how sequels or prequels work (see Crisis Core).

Last edited:

stickkidsam

So is anyone else worried that they are gonna kill the hype for Sephiroth by making him show up early in game?

GONNA TALK SPOILERS FOR ANY OF YOU WEIRDOS WHO HAVEN'T PLAYED THE OG

One of the things that made him have such a massive dick smashing presence in the game was the fact that you only hear about him throughout the beginning of the game. It's terrifying and ominous. The first instance of him you see is when you see President Shinra impaled by his sword like a pig on a kebab. Only it's the whole pig.

The first time we ever see him is in Cloud's retelling of his visit to Nebelheim. I really hope they don't screw up the build up.

So is anyone else worried that they are gonna kill the hype for Sephiroth by making him show up early in game?

GONNA TALK SPOILERS FOR ANY OF YOU WEIRDOS WHO HAVEN'T PLAYED THE OG

One of the things that made him have such a massive dick smashing presence in the game was the fact that you only hear about him throughout the beginning of the game. It's terrifying and ominous. The first instance of him you see is when you see President Shinra impaled by his sword like a pig on a kebab. Only it's the whole pig.

The first time we ever see him is in Cloud's retelling of his visit to Nebelheim. I really hope they don't screw up the build up.

I agree. Showing Sephiroth early is bad. But even more so having him talk about the planet. The whole mystery that exists until getting to the Crater is important. I feel like if they were supposed to show Sephiroth early it'd be in a way that's more about Cloud's fake memories and fucking with him, instead of planet talk. If they're showing him, they should have him speak vaguely. After all, as far as I remember it was Jenova running around as Sephiroth. Not showing him worked well though as you'd get the flashback during the stay at Kalm introducing him finally, while you earlier had suspense and mystery. That lasts until the first time you see Jenova Sephiroth, which I'm unsure of when happens, but at least on the boat.

That said, do we know where this happens? Do we know the context? There might be something that could justify it that we're not knowledgeable of. It looks like a road or something. I don't know whether it's related to the destruction of the Sector 7 slums or something later with the roads during the escape from ShinRa HQ.

kevin_trinh

FF Type-0 wasn't "highly praised". Metacritic tells us that much. FF CC would be a better example, but even that was good in view of it being PSP. It did however have multiple flaws that also includes the story. As far as PSP games BbS is better than CC in my opinion. So Tabata only had CC as a success and it's a complicated one because I don't view it as having a positive effect on the FFVII franchise.

Also citations needed for SE's view of Nomura. I have no doubt that he's not the most production efficient person, but I prefer someone who's obsessed about getting concepts and the idea of the game right, instead of someone shuffling a mediocre game together in time.
Square Enix suffered under various problems at the time that can't be attributed to Nomura, but further up and in regards to their overall strategy:

They made various changes in terms of management during the period as well and generally had no "great games" being released. That's why people have felt japanese developers like Square Enix failing ever since the switch to HD development. That's why you have people referencing pre-XIII days as the good old days. That's why you have Nomura using Unreal Engine 4 for KH3 and FFVII Remake.

"Muh Nomura" is just a bad excuse and it can only be attributed to a single game that existed during a tumultuous time for Square Enix with troubles all around. The guy released 3 great games in 3 years as sole director during the PS2 era.
Now, I can give you the problems that were caused in terms of story in Kingdom Hearts, but that's because of creep, with each title getting new concepts and them having to be spun together. That's a problem I'd attribute to Nomura (because of being a very conceptual and visionary guy) as well as generally how sequels or prequels work (see Crisis Core).
FF type 0 inclued HD version sold around 2m, which is quite well for a PSP game, and CC is good too.

Also citations needed for SE's view of Nomura. I have no doubt that he's not the most production efficient person
That's what i am talking. The day Nomura making good game is when he's not manage multiple PJ but just 1 at a time. FF7R is now suffer by Nomura, he can't do KH3 and FF7R at the same time, that why its need to release in episodic. As long as SE make Nomura do multiple work, they will suffer more and more

Dacon

Banned
FF type 0 inclued HD version sold around 2m, which is quite well for a PSP game, and CC is good too.

That's what i am talking. The day Nomura making good game is when he's not manage multiple PJ but just 1 at a time. FF7R is now suffer by Nomura, he can't do KH3 and FF7R at the same time, that why its need to release in episodic. As long as SE make Nomura do multiple work, they will suffer more and more

Dude, wth are you talking about. Nomura has been done with KH3 for months, he's already said he's giving this game all his focus. Suffer? You're making a lot of guesses and assumptions here based on very little.

Wrong, I just pointed out that he released as sole director 3 games within a 3 year span (2 of them AAA on console and Classics). So that's just wrong.
Tabata could barely manage to make one game that could be considered good on the PSP, while releasing those 3 PSP games along a 4 year time span.

Type 0 bombed critically and it's not a game people really care about (and I'm not surprised at a FF title game doing well, but the first iteration sold less than a million and the hd release around 1 million. Compare to FFX-2 and its 5.4 mill before HD remake). 3rd Birthday bombed critically and commercially. CC did well commercially and critically and is viewed generally well by fans, except that it's kind of a mess when viewed in terms of its effect on FFVII. Some like the story, others despise it. Also, people love to attribute CC to Nomura-ness as well. Just shows what kind of irrational hate there is for Nomura.

So shitting on Nomura makes no sense.

kevin_trinh

Dude, wth are you talking about. Nomura has been done with KH3 for months, he's already said he's giving this game all his focus. Suffer? You're making a lot of guesses and assumptions here based on very little.
U sure? from what i heard SE still have a DLC plan for KH3
Wrong, I just pointed out that he released as sole director 3 games within a 3 year span (2 of them AAA on console and Classics). So that's just wrong.
Tabata could barely manage to make one game that could be considered good on the PSP, while releasing those 3 PSP games along a 4 year time span.

Type 0 bombed critically and it's not a game people really care about (and I'm not surprised at a FF title game doing well, but the first iteration sold less than a million and the hd release around 1 million. Compare to FFX-2 and its 5.4 mill before HD remake). 3rd Birthday bombed critically and commercially. CC did well commercially and critically and is viewed generally well by fans, except that it's kind of a mess when viewed in terms of its effect on FFVII. Some like the story, others despise it. Also, people love to attribute CC to Nomura-ness as well. Just shows what kind of irrational hate there is for Nomura.

So shitting on Nomura makes no sense.
Its make sense coz FF15 is a mess, and now FF7R is suffering too.

Last edited:
U sure? from what i heard SE still have a DLC plan for KH3

Its make sense coz FF15 is a mess, and now FF7R is suffering too.

You just earlier attributed FF15 to Tabata. So if that's a mess, then that's on Tabata. And as explained, PS3 era was hell for Square games overall. What we know about FF Versus XIII is that it basically wasn't in total production for most of the time after the reveal. It was basically a lot of pre-production work (story and designs done in 2010) until late 2011 when it went in full production. After that the game was 20-25% done in 2012 (Tabata co-directing) with a platform change occurring as well, and in late 2013 Tabata took over and almost 3 years later released it. Tabata himself considers it to be a different game. As Wikipedia said "When Versus XIII became XV, multiple aspects were changed, including the removal of story sequences and the redesigning of characters ".

The amount of trouble they experienced during development can hardly be put on Nomura alone and a lot seems to be due to various technical issues they encountered:
"After Final Fantasy XIII launched resources could be shifted back to the Final Fantasy Versus XIII project, but technical issues were bringing the project nearly to a halt. According to then-Technology Director Julien Merceron, the "universal engine" Motomu Toriyama's team built for Final Fantasy XIII couldn't handle Versus XIII anymore because it had been designed to fit the former's specifications, and buckled under the open-world environments designed for Versus, making it virtually unusable. Ultimately, Square Enix was forced to commission the creation of a brand new engine for Final Fantasy Versus XIII called Luminous Studio.[10] " Source: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Versus_XIII

Of course, we only know what little we've been told. So would be interesting to have actual information behind the scenes and not all of this speculation. Especially since we know that half of the time it was just in a pre-production stage according to official information.
With Square Enix being a mess overall in the PS3 era, it's safer to consider it a company-wide problem with development in the HD era, that might have been really problematic for a very conceptual and visionary director like Nomura. I assume that the switch over to UE4 must've done a lot of good for him.

We have no indication of "FF7R suffering". It's looking pretty good, outside of combat looking a bit too FFXV-ish (which in turn was different from FF Versus XIII).

What I would give for a FFXII/Xenobladelike combat.

Ugh, I'd rather make them have a spin-off FF ivalice series for that. I'd also prefer attempts at making AAA turn-based combat games as well that go in the spirit of pre-XII Final Fantasy games. All in all, I hope that with the troubling PS3 era and the mess that came from it behind them, that Square will focus on having a production closer to PS1 and PS2 era. A specific spin-off series focused around Ivalice would be great and I imagine they could reuse some assets and get a couple of games out with a few years in-between. Might even make another Ivalice strategy RPG when reusing assets.
Next FF is hopefully fantastical again and I would love if it had an ambitious turn-based battle system.

I would love if they gave the next Final Fantasy or a FF spin-off project to Yoko Taro. Although I'd be kind of worried about the battle systems. Though it might be better to start getting fresh creative talents to take over.

Last edited:

blackjon24

What I would give for a FFXII/Xenobladelike combat.

Many people people hate "offline mmo" battle system as well aha man why do jrpg fans have such a divisive opinion on battle systems. I feel like this really isn't the case with western rpgs fans

Shin

Banned
https://kotaku.com/fans-are-concerned-about-barrets-voice-in-the-final-fan-1834678296 this

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I'm convinced that all of this "concern" for Barret is manufactured outrage.

I witnessed one of the posters in a equivalent thread on Resetra try their best to rile up mob outcry about his skin being too light. Despite all of the various lighting effects throughout the teaser, he was so sure Square was white washing him. Several posters went out of their way to show him that he's wrong and doesn't understand how lighting works on skin. I wouldn't be surprised if someone from Kotaku was browsing that thread and found themselves some good ol' outrage click bait.

Now his ebonic slang is too much for some delicate ears. Fucking spare me, please. Also what's their beef with Mr. T? Dude is pretty awesome imo.

I'm genuinely confused as to what these people even want. Do they want him to have darkest skin possible, big ol' lips, and nappy hair? But also have perfect English vernacular?

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
TIL talking inslang makes you “not a fully realized person”

Also trying to think here, is Yuffie a “fully realized person”? Is Vincent? Cloud himself is a babbling wheelchair bound mess at one point.

/ opinions from people who have never actually played the game. Either of them! She hasn’t played the original and the remake is still being made. Why should I even listen to someone who literally doesn’t know what she is talking about?

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I saw that headline pop up on my news feed and immediately thought it was some SJW outrage bait. Didn’t click the link. Fuck Kotaku.

How to be a Kotaku writer 101:
- look at the top trending games on the web
- find something, anything, to get outraged about concerning those games. The more ridiculous the better, this is about getting clicks not about journalism
- crank out the article as quickly as possible to get into people’s news recommendations while the game is still trending

What a horrible shit stain on the gaming scene.

Last edited:

SegaShack

They turned a special game into something that is devoid of any personality. The music, visuals, and gameplay are now generic. They should have let FFVII be.

I’m thankful FF VII came out in 1997 and not 2019 as it would have been as soulless as this.

Petrae

They turned a special game into something that is devoid of any personality. The music, visuals, and gameplay are now generic. They should have let FFVII be.

I’m thankful FF VII came out in 1997 and not 2019 as it would have been as soulless as this.

It’s Final Fantasy VII: Millennial Edition. It checks all the right boxes for this group:

— Crazy sharp graphics
— Twitchy action gameplay
— A nod to nostalgia while very much being its own game, because the source material isn’t attractive enough for this era

It basically does what Final Fantasy XV wanted to do, but has a built-in story and characters this time around... so bullshit like Kingsglaive won’t be necessary.

As much as I wish it was, it’s not 1997 anymore. Game players are different than they were 20+ years ago. Their expectations and preferences are different. This leads to an occasionally strong division between what older players want to what the new legion of players want... and the latter is the future.

SegaShack

It’s Final Fantasy VII: Millennial Edition. It checks all the right boxes for this group:

— Crazy sharp graphics
— Twitchy action gameplay
— A nod to nostalgia while very much being its own game, because the source material isn’t attractive enough for this era

It basically does what Final Fantasy XV wanted to do, but has a built-in story and characters this time around... so bullshit like Kingsglaive won’t be necessary.

As much as I wish it was, it’s not 1997 anymore. Game players are different than they were 20+ years ago. Their expectations and preferences are different. This leads to an occasionally strong division between what older players want to what the new legion of players want... and the latter is the future.
It definitely completely lacks any personality or charm that the original had. It’s funny too that the companies think people want these generic looking, sounding, and playing games, but things like Octapath traveler show that many actually do like traditional JRPG gameplay.

The original has charm and this looks like the most generic thing, whether it be the visuals, character designs, or gameplay.

Top Bottom