• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFVII: Remake Trailer

sendit

No way man.

Watching my characters stand in a line while I pick “attack” from a menu until I win = strategy.

It’s so sad to see this essential part of FF VII compromised just so the sub-120 IQ mainstream gamers can handle it.

95% of the battles in the original Final Fantasy 7 compromised of selecting Attack from the main menu. I'm glad this forum is the minority and not the sentiments shared of what most people want.

stickkidsam

Of all the rumors I've seen, I want this one the most.

It sounds so promising, and I would love to see people new to the game lose their shit when AeriTH takes Sephiroth's sword.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
95% of the battles in the original Final Fantasy 7 compromised of selecting Attack from the main menu. I'm glad this forum is the minority and not the sentiments shared of what most people want.

It’s so boring and bland. I’m not a fan of turn-based battles in general (used to LOVE all those old JRPGs but I can’t stomach them anymore). But even by turn-based battle system standards, FF VII was just terrible. Zero challenge to be found. The only reason to do something besides attack is to alleviate your own boredom.

Materia system was kind of neat....but your only reward for mastering it was making the piss-easy battles even easier. And 2 Uber boss fights.

Characters were more or less clones of each other. Not much reason to choose one over another aside from limit breaks and (again) to alleviate your own boredom.

Good riddance. The only good things about the gameplay (limit breaks, materia, summons) can easily be grafted onto a vastly better battle system.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I’ll add to the cacophony, no turn based ATB no buy. Fooled me once with the shitshow that was FFXV, you won’t get me a second time.

Other than that, it looked decent I guess.

Cybrwzrd

Banned

What most people want is a game that has a short, simple story and repetitive gameplay elements that don’t require that they rub the two braincells they have together. Like FFXV. Which entire gameplay loop revolved around warp striking at an enemy, getting killed then having your team mates revive and kill the enemy for you.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I’ll add to the cacophony, no turn based ATB no buy. Fooled me once with the shitshow that was FFXV, you won’t get me a second time.

Other than that, it looked decent I guess.
i feeeeeeeeeeeeel you 2
but what if they implemented a hybrid system like ff12 ?

Last edited:

sendit

What most people want is a game that has a short, simple story and repetitive gameplay elements that don’t require that they rub the two braincells they have together. Like FFXV. Which entire gameplay loop revolved around warp striking at an enemy, getting killed then having your team mates revive and kill the enemy for you.

I hate to be the bearer of reality, but most if not all games are repetitive in nature.

Last edited:

wzy

Let me get this straight. You guys think you're going to be attacking less in an action RPG? Did anyone here even play FFXV?

EDMIX

Agreed. I don't get when folks make it seem as if the issue with hack and slash or a action based system would simply be repetitive when that has more so to do with the core concept of the gameplay.

If you can press attack many times with TURNED BASED and that is the MAJORITY of what you do....yes...it can be repetitive.
If you can press attack many times with REAL TIME ACTION BASED and that is the MAJORITY of what you do....yes...it can be repetitive.

So this idea of not moving the character doesn't mean the concept isn't based on some repetitive nature. SELECTING attack doesn't mean there is some secret strategy going on, I don't know how that would be any more or less boring then actually moving the character to keep doing the same action.

EDMIX

I feel you. My best kind of RPG is turn-based. Makes you think and plan your attacks instead of just mashing couple of buttons

"Makes you think and plan your attacks instead of just mashing couple of buttons" ??? you can still pause FFXII and FFXV in real time and simply select what you are going to do before continuing.

Consider this....what if in real time...you where just going to press attack because that was the majority of what worked? So how does "mashing" it change if you are ultimately just selecting the same button over and over and over again?

At this point, you'd just be actually disputing the METHOD of how that is happening, nothing regarding "think and plan", you can "think and plan" in FFXV too, its cause pressing pause. The game allows you to do that and pre-select certain actions. Keep in mind, I own many turned based titles like I Am Setsuna, Bravely Default, World Of Final Fantasy, Persona 5 etc. TURNED BASED by default doesn't always mean this deep strategy bud, that is based on design first and foremost.

Avion4017

Neo Member
The lack of any apparent jump/aerial functionality from what we've seen so far makes me hopeful for this battle system. It'll definitely help justify ranged characters (much like how X did), black magic will feel less superfluous and re-contextualize the 'Long Range' materia for melee characters.

I'm not expecting to flit about in mid air. Even when warping was a core mechanic, connecting melee attacks against flying enemies in XV never felt right, that's what Prompto was for and the battles were better for it when I used him. I just hope it doesn't make the same mistake that XV did and pivot the battle system around the protagonist too much.

wzy

Agreed. I don't get when folks make it seem as if the issue with hack and slash or a action based system would simply be repetitive when that has more so to do with the core concept of the gameplay.

If you can press attack many times with TURNED BASED and that is the MAJORITY of what you do....yes...it can be repetitive.
If you can press attack many times with REAL TIME ACTION BASED and that is the MAJORITY of what you do....yes...it can be repetitive.

So this idea of not moving the character doesn't mean the concept isn't based on some repetitive nature. SELECTING attack doesn't mean there is some secret strategy going on, I don't know how that would be any more or less boring then actually moving the character to keep doing the same action.

But "press attack many times" doesn't describe FFVII at all. Maybe like the very first area? Even in the reactor you can find encounters where magic is a more efficient use of your turn. When was the last time any of you actually played the game? I wouldn't call the battle system "deep" but there are all kinds of great opportunities to use spells and items. The path from Kalm to Junon alone offers a wide variety of silver bullet tactics to observant players. Just off the top of my head: Choco/Mog, L4 Suicide, and Matra Magic have great applications that speed up battles significantly, and there are a variety of elemental weaknesses to exploit and valuable upgrades to steal. There's also a very challenging encounter that requires a highly specific setup to clear without grinding, prior to which the smart move is to utilize Hypers to acquire a specific limit break for Red XIII.

The fact that you could conceivably spam attack and Cure, which is not even close to practical for the majority of encounters in the game if you've avoided grinding, is more a problem with the difficulty--something extremely unlikely to improve with an action combat system.

sendit

But "press attack many times" doesn't describe FFVII at all. Maybe like the very first area? Even in the reactor you can find encounters where magic is a more efficient use of your turn. When was the last time any of you actually played the game? I wouldn't call the battle system "deep" but there are all kinds of great opportunities to use spells and items. The path from Kalm to Junon alone offers a wide variety of silver bullet tactics to observant players. Just off the top of my head: Choco/Mog, L4 Suicide, and Matra Magic have great applications that speed up battles significantly, and there are a variety of elemental weaknesses to exploit and valuable upgrades to steal. There's also a very challenging encounter that requires a highly specific setup to clear without grinding, prior to which the smart move is to utilize Hypers to acquire a specific limit break for Red XIII.

The fact that you could conceivably spam attack and Cure, which is not even close to practical for the majority of encounters in the game if you've avoided grinding, is more a problem with the difficulty--something extremely unlikely to improve with an action combat system.

You could have just said "enemy weakness against specific damage types". This may come as a surprise to you, but what you consider shallow action based RPGs have this as well. Including Final Fantasy 15. What point are you trying to make exactly?

Varteras

Gold Member
I'm fine with the combat system being altered as long as the materia system is intact and the rest is mostly faithful to the original. I knew before they even announced the project that if they ever did there would be alterations. I'm cool with that.

Last edited:

Hudo

Tangentially related: There's a Youtube channel called "ResonantArc". I'm not usually one who shills some Youtuber's shit but his reviews/retrospectives of the Final Fantasy games are quite a good watch. He's also done one on FF7, of course:

stickkidsam

The lack of any apparent jump/aerial functionality from what we've seen so far makes me hopeful for this battle system. It'll definitely help justify ranged characters (much like how X did), black magic will feel less superfluous and re-contextualize the 'Long Range' materia for melee characters.

I'm not expecting to flit about in mid air. Even when warping was a core mechanic, connecting melee attacks against flying enemies in XV never felt right, that's what Prompto was for and the battles were better for it when I used him. I just hope it doesn't make the same mistake that XV did and pivot the battle system around the protagonist too much.
I just want to be able to fight like Cloud fought in the Forgotten City... running on trees and being juggled by parries.

For real though I hope there is some aerial game to this. It doesn't need to be insane, but it'd be nice to have some cool platforming and aerial maneuvers.

GenericUser

Concerning the battle system, I'm with the turn based crowd on this and I still have faith that they will include some sort of way to at least pause the game during the real time battles. I mean even FF15 did it and that made the battle system at least bearable. It can't be that hard to include that option for people who like a more strategic approach.

I look forward to june and hope they will fully uncover the battle system at e3.

Raynes

lol

Can you tell me what you're "lol" is about?
I'm glad this got picked up, finally. No ones talking about it. His voice is garbage. But I fear this is not about the voice and about the change in personality Square have decided to give him to reflect their perception of what is more appealing to the Western audience. It's very similar to his Advent Children self and English mistranslation that were jarring to the overall theme of the story.
I don't know what went wrong, but they had him down in the 2nd trailer "we're paying you more than a few gil, you best be worth it" rather than the jolly old "I'm here fa ya". I think this represents the direction they are going for this game, and it's definitely the wrong direction.
I'm not looking forward to this.

shark sandwich

You could have just said "enemy weakness against specific damage types". This may come as a surprise to you, but what you consider shallow action based RPGs have this as well. Including Final Fantasy 15. What point are you trying to make exactly?
Yup, “use the element that your enemy is weak against” is not exactly deep strategy, and it can be done in a real-time/action battle system just as well.

With the added bonus that you don’t have to do the following 1000x over the course of the game:
- get pulled out of the exploration for a battle that takes place in some other dimension (with accompanying ~8 second loading screen)
- sit there while your ATB bar charges up before you can even do anything
- watch long, unskippable, repetitive enemy animations
- another 10-15 seconds to watch the victory animation/results screen/loading
- then you might get 10 seconds of exploration before you do it all over again

My ideal battle system is:
- FAST
- challenging
- rewards you for playing well
- resolves very, very quickly in cases when you vastly outrank the enemy
- has lots to experiment with in terms of party composition/setup/advancement

VII’s battle system is a failure on all accounts. The only remotely interesting parts are the materia/limit breaks, and those will surely be present in the remake (and probably have more interesting strategic implications as well).

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Guys, remember, FF games NEVER had challenging gameplay, they had a nice gameplay that got attached to the story and anyone could pick it up and play.

This one will be no different.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Classic turn-based games were never that strategical - they usually rely on additional mechanics for that, like FFX's turn order and weapon swap + overkill, or Digital Devil Saga's weaknesses that remove or add aditional turns, etc. And FFVII did not have any additional mechanics besides a Limit Break system that can be easily applied to action games as well.

The core advantage of any bare-bones turn-based game, besides making good use of limited technology, is that you can micromanage an entire party, and some people may prefer that over focusing on attacking and repositioning a single character. So if you want knight to use Cover on your white mage, and your black magic to passively boost their power while waiting for your thief to steal a precious item from the boss, turn-based party combat is better for that. But even FFVII did not offer much there, as it was mostly about giving the strongest materia to your characters and spamming their strongest abilities, with some MP management thrown in the mix.

For FFVII:R to have a proper, strategical turn-based combat, it would probably need a lot of changes as well, and in some ways, it would end up being more different to the original than the current action-RPG iteration. And I don't think that brainy stuff fits FFVII, which was always about flashy abilities, high numbers and edgy/ anime art style.

Thabass

For FFVII:R to have a proper, strategical turn-based combat, it would probably need a lot of changes as well, and in some ways, it would end up being more different to the original than the current action-RPG iteration. And I don't think that brainy stuff fits FFVII, which was always about flashy abilities, high numbers and edgy/ anime art style.

I believe FFVII: Remake should have a pause system during battle so that you can plan your attacks. If it's like FFXV's wait system or Dragon Age's system where you can pause gave give out orders, then it's basically the same thing as turn-based, only you don't have to wait to attack. You can pause any time and give out orders that way.

The core advantage of any bare-bones turn-based game, besides making good use of limited technology, is that you can micromanage an entire party, and some people may prefer that over focusing on attacking and repositioning a single character

This is a major point. One of the reasons why turn-based exists in the first place was so that the game was overloaded with commands. This was deemed unnecessary in the later games (FFXII is an example). I feel like the people who want turn-based just wants it for the nostalgia or to make FFVII feel like the original. The problem is, even if you make it turn-based, it won't feel like the original unless you keep the aesthetic of the original.

I'm not dogging on turn-based. I love turn-based combat. But, from the trailer, it feels like FFVII: Remake is a new coat of paint. A fresh take on an old game. My worry is, is that they make the game too easy and doesn't have a firm strategy to it. You can make FFVII: Remake have a decent system where strategy is an important part and not make it a hack and slash like FFXV was. You just need the proper balance in the combat.

I could go on and on, but I feel like it's too early to critique the system too much since the trailer doesn't give much away. June will be interesting.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I don't know what went wrong, but they had him down in the 2nd trailer "we're paying you more than a few gil, you best be worth it" rather than the jolly old "I'm here fa ya".

i dunno, is this really that different from white sjws going on about "yas queen" and talking in slang & using blackface gifs? "You best be worth it" is similar to the slang used by NYT writers and shit.

only way people wouldn't complain is if they Wakanda'd him into an emotionless guy who speaks colonial English

Last edited:

Raynes

i dunno, is this really that different from white sjws going on about "yas queen" and talking in slang & using blackface gifs? "You best be worth it" is similar to the slang used by NYT writers and shit.

only way people wouldn't complain is if they Wakanda'd him into an emotionless guy who speaks colonial English

I don't even know what you are talking about jesus christ. I just want him to be more serious like he was in the original Japanese version, not a goofy anime dork.

wzy

Okay you're wrong but let's say you aren't: this is objectively, indisputably, not spamming basic attacks. Which is what your idiot video was intended to demonstrate.

Nickolaidas

Banned
An interesting post on reddit which talks about how just improving the graphics wouldn't work (and leave the game as is), because some parts would look asinine and stupid today.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Now then all. So quite a while back I made a post about this but didn't give it a whole lot of thought at the time. But now we're a conceivable step closer to a release, it's certainly started to occur to me again. I'm sure I'm probably not the only one either.

There was a lot in the original game that you could get away with a 'suspension of disbelief' due to the old nature of the graphics, but now we're about to revisit this world in a massively up-scaled format, there is a whole lot of shit that I can't envisage any amount of SoD can cover up. So I thought I'd run through some examples and see what you peeps reckon. Note: There is some blatantly obvious shit I'm not going to bother with that I assume won't be there (The Dolphin game, opening a forest with a harp, being fucking dopey enough to let the second-hand of a life-size clock to knock you off-balance, to give some examples).

Anything that requires covert activity.
Assuming that they don't materialise weapons out of thin air ala FFXV (Looking at the scene in the trailer with Cloud and Aerith, I think we can safely assume not), I can't see how you're meant to sneak a fucking Buster Sword into Don Corneo's mansion, The upper floors of the Shinra tower or into Junon's military base? I suppose for the latter your squad might somehow manage it on your behalf, but no tailor is making room in a dress to conceal a weapon with that amount of girth (ehuehueh).

Fighting massive mechanical bosses on an elevator.
Even disregarding the practical application of a fight on an elevator.... How did they manage to get a fucking tank on an elevator? And assuming it's now been redesigned to be able to fit a tank on it, why the fuck is it made of glass? Colour me flabbergasted if this boss still exists in the exact same context.

Accessing the Gold Saucer
As if it makes any kind of business sense making the only access to Gold Saucer be via a cable car at what is effectively a shanty town or via a lift from a desert prison. How does Dio make any fucking money?

Getting caught at the Gold Saucer
So by this point you've already fought tanks, taken down a sea serpent and faced off with Jenova. But apparently some fun fair security had the gumption to incarcerate you. Also, is the desert sort of like international waters? I can only assume if there was a Gaia equivalent of the United Nations they probably wouldn't be all that fond of trial-free incarcerations and chocobo-racing convicts. Then again, I guess they do live in a Corporatocracy, so maybe the free market loves that sort of shit?

The Buggy
Do we seriously have to drive that?

Palmer
Well shit, if some amusement park security guards could take you down why not an overweight man in a beige suit with a magic gun? Is there anyone out there who can't beat AVALANCHE? I would assume a battle with him will probably involve more troops and maybe Palmer hidden behind a turret or something? Part of me hopes not.

The Tiny Bronco
So aside from a group of people with no formal aviation qualifications managing to get a plane to fly and even control it without manning a cockpit... Hell, even setting aside Cid being able to run as fast, possibly faster than the Tiny Bronco mid-flight, how does a vehicle that was in no-way designed to even touch water manage to maintain the ability to embark on long-haul sea travel? Maybe it'll now be a sea plane and the whole time it was docked in an olympic-size swimming pool that was built during a failed bid to host the Olympics? Rocket Town 2020 anyone?

That pool thing in the Temple of the Ancients and the fountain at the City of the Ancients
It seems that as well as having the ability to speak to the planet, the Cetra also harnessed the power of a primitive form of mobile, multi-angle CCTV delivered by the medium of water projections. Despite that they managed to not see Jenova coming.

The Sister Ray
So to start with, the Sister Ray is a cannon that was built to only ever fire in one direction (Poor Sapphire Weapon would have been fine it'd just done a bit reconnaissance). But it is a feat of completely alien proportions to disassemble, transport to a city on the other side of a mountain range and reassemble it on top of Midgar in a space of time equivalent to the gap between Premier League home fixtures. Maybe they had a protocol in place in the event they ever needed to mount a giant gun to Midgar? Maybe it just went through a ready built tunnel between the two places? Give a bonus to the guy who convinced the board of directors to spend money on that.

There's probably a ton more examples I haven't put here. And to have a moment of self-awareness, I'm doubtlessly over-analysing the shit out of this. But I'm finding that there's a bit of amusement to be had from it. Let a pasty white dude in his 30's have a bit of fun, yeah? Please do feel free to take apart my examples or tell me I'm being a fucking killjoy, or even better add some cracking examples and solutions to my list!
P.S. Unrelated but I just wanted to add that I watched a video on Youtube this morning by a guy called Night Sky Prince and at the end of the video he called his supporters 'Ultimate Weapons'. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that's fucking hilarious."

wzy

Yup, “use the element that your enemy is weak against” is not exactly deep strategy, and it can be done in a real-time/action battle system just as well.

With the added bonus that you don’t have to do the following 1000x over the course of the game:
- get pulled out of the exploration for a battle that takes place in some other dimension (with accompanying ~8 second loading screen)
- sit there while your ATB bar charges up before you can even do anything
- watch long, unskippable, repetitive enemy animations
- another 10-15 seconds to watch the victory animation/results screen/loading
- then you might get 10 seconds of exploration before you do it all over again

My ideal battle system is:
- FAST
- challenging
- rewards you for playing well
- resolves very, very quickly in cases when you vastly outrank the enemy
- has lots to experiment with in terms of party composition/setup/advancement

VII’s battle system is a failure on all accounts. The only remotely interesting parts are the materia/limit breaks, and those will surely be present in the remake (and probably have more interesting strategic implications as well).

Is it just a rule that you all have to make this point in the most dishonest way possible? Battles in FFXV and KH take longer than anything in FFVII by entire minutes. Which is a direct consequence of being real-time and action oriented. It's one thing to have a preference for one or the other, but why do you just make shit up like this?

I think the ffxii mechanics is best. I don't want to memorize combos or have to time attacks and blocks with reflexes. Turn based is good, but most battles are pointless so might as well automatize it like ffxii did, with some manual intervention for the more difficult battles.

What I think could be done is more cinematic camera angles and effects, and a bit more time added to battles vs the easy instadeath that was ffxii for most enemies. Also quick time events during boss battles are often quite cool and cinematic, but they could use more variety.

shark sandwich

Is it just a rule that you all have to make this point in the most dishonest way possible? Battles in FFXV and KH take longer than anything in FFVII by entire minutes. Which is a direct consequence of being real-time and action oriented. It's one thing to have a preference for one or the other, but why do you just make shit up like this?
A. I’m not sure that they actually take longer on average

B. Once you kill a group of enemies in those games, they’re gone for good and you are free to explore. Whereas with random battles you only get about 10 seconds of movement before you get in the next random battle

C. In those games you’re actually, you know, DOING things. Positioning your character, stringing together combos, cooperating with your teammates, dodging/blocking etc. whereas in VII you spend the vast majority of your time just sitting there waiting for your ATB to fill up or watching attack animations

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Octopath Traveler had more enjoyable gameplay to me than Final Fantasy XV.

They could have improved the ATB combat from the original without going pure action/real-time. But, I'll play it either way and give it a fair shot.

Last edited:

Pejo

An interesting post on reddit which talks about how just improving the graphics wouldn't work (and leave the game as is), because some parts would look asinine and stupid today.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*snip*
Most of these are only a problem because thus far SE has set the tone for this game as "100% serious". The original had plenty of goofiness and silliness in it, which made these parts not so out of place, despite the overall serious main story arc. I personally never wanted serious Cloud (advent children Cloud) anywhere near the remake. Part of what endeared it to the fans is the occasional weirdness to break up the main story. I also haven't read much about this, but I'm going to assume they cut out the world map entirely and make it either semi-open world like FFXII or menu/corridor driven travel like FFX/FFXIII.

Battle system aside, I think they're missing the point if they make this a 100% serious game and only follow the main story arc, and cut out all of the goofy/fun side content.

stickkidsam

Can you tell me what you're "lol" is about?
I'm glad this got picked up, finally. No ones talking about it. His voice is garbage. But I fear this is not about the voice and about the change in personality Square have decided to give him to reflect their perception of what is more appealing to the Western audience. It's very similar to his Advent Children self and English mistranslation that were jarring to the overall theme of the story.
I don't know what went wrong, but they had him down in the 2nd trailer "we're paying you more than a few gil, you best be worth it" rather than the jolly old "I'm here fa ya". I think this represents the direction they are going for this game, and it's definitely the wrong direction.
I'm not looking forward to this.
Well I can't speak for them, but my "lol" is about how stupid of a complaint it is. Call him a goofy anime dork all ya want, I don't see it. Can he be goofy? Yup. That isn't bad though and it seems the guys at Square agree with this characterization.

This is the Barret that we got and have known in the west since the game was released and dammit I love him. When I was a kid, I really grew to like Barret. At first he seemed like he was just an angry jerk, but after a while you see there's depths to him. He was over the top, but I thought that had charm because he was a passionate guy who has been through hell and wants to do right by the people he cares about. His aggressive attitude only added to that. So why not just let him be?

If you want to hear his Japanese characterization because that's the Barret you first got to know, I can't blame ya. At least they'll probably have language selection. Don't shit on mah boy though.

wzy

A. I’m not sure that they actually take longer on average

B. Once you kill a group of enemies in those games, they’re gone for good and you are free to explore. Whereas with random battles you only get about 10 seconds of movement before you get in the next random battle

C. In those games you’re actually, you know, DOING things. Positioning your character, stringing together combos, cooperating with your teammates, dodging/blocking etc. whereas in VII you spend the vast majority of your time just sitting there waiting for your ATB to fill up or watching attack animations

Serious question: have you played FFVII? Why do you want a remake of a game you hate? If you don't like waiting on ATB just turn the battle speed up. This also has the benefit of making the game more challenging, another perennial whine of people who don't know what the fuck they're talking about. Even at standard speeds a typical non-boss encounter in VII is anywhere from 35 seconds to a minute long, with one or two actions per character.

FFXV, which--shame on you--also has random encounters, is closer to a minute and a half or even longer. It's hard to get a good read just browsing YouTube because the game is such a disaster and there's really no typical example of what a battle is going to be due to level disparities and balance issues. Kingdom Hearts III might be a better point of comparison considering the director, and it's even slower than that, despite being just as brainless.

And anyway, no one is suggesting FFVII use the old-school random encounter system. Few modern turn-based RPGs do this. Dragon Quest and Persona don't, and they would be the most appropriate comparison for what a modern FFVII could be.

stickkidsam

s9p1hk1hz7y21.jpg

I'm so excited

shark sandwich

Serious question: have you played FFVII? Why do you want a remake of a game you hate? If you don't like waiting on ATB just turn the battle speed up. This also has the benefit of making the game more challenging, another perennial whine of people who don't know what the fuck they're talking about. Even at standard speeds a typical non-boss encounter in VII is anywhere from 35 seconds to a minute long, with one or two actions per character.

FFXV, which--shame on you--also has random encounters, is closer to a minute and a half or even longer. It's hard to get a good read just browsing YouTube because the game is such a disaster and there's really no typical example of what a battle is going to be due to level disparities and balance issues. Kingdom Hearts III might be a better point of comparison considering the director, and it's even slower than that, despite being just as brainless.

And anyway, no one is suggesting FFVII use the old-school random encounter system. Few modern turn-based RPGs do this. Dragon Quest and Persona don't, and they would be the most appropriate comparison for what a modern FFVII could be.
I loved all the classic JRPGs back in the day, including FF VII (which I actually preordered and got on 9/4/97, 3 days before the official date :)

But I just can’t stomach those old battle systems anymore. They bore me to tears.

I still love everything else about VII (music, story, characters, overall atmosphere and aesthetic) so I am overjoyed that they aren’t using an old fashioned FF battle system.

I’ve concluded that it just isn’t possible to make a turn-based battle system that remains fun and fresh over the course of a 40+ hour game where you’ll face the same group of enemies maybe dozens of times. Either you’re making the same brain dead easy decisions over and over (heal when HP low, use the element that can hurt this enemy, etc). Or they try to spice it up with some new mechanics that may be interesting for a few hours, but just become more busywork once the novelty has worn off.

And yeah that includes the DQ XI, Persona 5, and Octopath. I played all of them and lost interest midway through, primarily because the battles just became an annoying and way too frequent chore.

Top Bottom