• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFX HD... still coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Square-enix isn't interested in anything touched by (Lord) Matsuno or else he would have remained there...Tactics ogre was already a miracle on psp.

What. FF Tactics was ported several times.

And the enhancements in FFXII IZJS were not made by Matsuno, at all. FFXII IZJS was made by Hiroyuki Ito. It's his vision of what FFXII should have been when first released.

luca1980

Banned
What. FF Tactics was ported several times.
Lazy ports aside fmv....
FFXII IZJS was made by Hiroyuki Ito. It's his vision of what FFXII should have been when first released.
many many things were lost form initial Matsuno vision...and square-eidos isn't interested anymore on ivalice alliance or else they would have milked it in these years...

they aren't even interested in bringing type 0 in the entire west lol.
they care for everything with the infamous Motomu Toriyama's touch yet!!! lol

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I've just seen it now, god it's way better than I expected, close to a proper-remake actually. It really looks beautiful. Chances they're also revamping animations, FMVs and voice overs?

Mit-

I'll be excited if they make it dual-language. But they probably won't, so I'll stick with undubs.

It's cool that they're actually updating character models. It doesn't seem like the right business decision though. A straight port in HD that could have already been released would've been better for damage control, and wouldn't leave the PS3 version of this game stuck between generations.

Also, didn't FFX still have some pre-rendered backgrounds? I really wonder what they're doing for those. It seems like most companies always discard the high-res versions or assets of those scenes, making it difficult/impossible to just convert the scene into a real 3D scene, or to just insert a high-res pre-rendered background.

I'll be excited if they make it dual-language. But they probably won't, so I'll stick with undubs.

It's cool that they're actually updating character models. It doesn't seem like the right business decision though. A straight port in HD that could have already been released would've been better for damage control, and wouldn't leave the PS3 version of this game stuck between generations.

Also, didn't FFX still have some pre-rendered backgrounds? I really wonder what they're doing for those. It seems like most companies always discard the high-res versions or assets of those scenes, making it difficult/impossible to just convert the scene into a real 3D scene, or to just insert a high-res pre-rendered background.

I really want Square to get rid of the low-poly version of the characters in favor of the high-poly version. They didn't need to update them, but I'm glad they did.

As for the pre-rendered backgrounds, yeah, either they are going to upscale them, which is going to make them look aweful, or they are going to redo them. As for the CG cutscenes, if Square has its heart in the right place, they are going to redo them from the ground up on the Luminous Engine.

Sakujou

Banned
Some people value gameplay over most other things. X-2 has the best ATB battle system in any FF, and I'd be willing to argue the best battle system in the series.

I love experiences with new battle systems.

What makes me cringe are fanboys crying for final fantasy 7 or 10 because its so loved and so good(i hate 7 and 10, because in PAL they cant live up the hype/legacy because of poorly put into PAL or the insanely stupid dialogues. also most of the fans of 7/10 never actually played it to the end they just know about it from friends or through fanfiction).

I dont fucking care about stupid remakes. Make new games and to all fanboys and critical heads out there: buy and play the games, dont just fudge around on the internet...

It makes me really sad...

Skilletor

What makes me cringe are fanboys crying for final fantasy 7 or 10 because its so loved and so good(i hate 7 and 10, because in PAL they cant live up the hype/legacy because of poorly put into PAL or the insanely stupid dialogues. also most of the fans of 7/10 never actually played it to the end they just know about it from friends or through fanfiction).

I dont fucking care about stupid remakes. Make new games and to all fanboys and critical heads out there: buy and play the games, dont just fudge around on the internet...

Well...don't buy them?

I really have no idea what you're saying. You seem to be insulting people who do enjoy replaying these games, or who want to buy the remakes, by calling them fanboys. You're generalizing people by saying they haven't played through the entirety of the games. I don't think you can say with any degree of accuracy the number of fans who have or have not finished them. If you don't like the game, why bother coming into a thread specifically about it?

If you don't care, don't click the thread.

It was weird to just see character models animating. It doesn't seem like they're that far along, otherwise they would've shown gameplay. Excited to play it whenever it comes out on PS3.

At this rate, it seems very likely there'll be gameplay tweaks, additions, and/or refinements. Any thoughts on what those might be?

My hopes:

-multiple difficulty levels
-New Game+
-tweaked ultimate weapons (some of them, like Rikku's, have kinda crappy abilities compared to others)
-new action abilities, new weapon abilities
-revamped aeon stat-boosting system
-new enemies using new models created for FFX-2

At this rate, it seems very likely there'll be gameplay tweaks, additions, and/or refinements. Any thoughts on what those might be?

My hopes:

-New Game+
-tweaked ultimate weapons (some of them, like Rikku's, have kinda crappy abilities compared to others)

?

All (The Celestial Weapons) of them had the same base 2 enhancements when fully charged with their respective crests/sigils:-

Break Damage Limit
Triple Overdrive

Only the remaining 2 enhancements differed I think.

Sucks that my personal opinion will get in the way of this, meaning, FFX was never one of my favorite in the series.

The HD looks nice but I don't know if I can play through it all over again. I'd rather to see Type 0 or Crisis Core on PSN.

New Game+ would be great.

?

All (The Celestial Weapons) of them had the same base 2 enhancements when fully charged with their respective crests/sigils:-

Break Damage Limit
Triple Overdrive

Yeah, but the other two abilities her ultimate weapon had (Gillionaire and Double AP) don't really compare to some of the other abilities everyone else got. (Like One MP Cost)

?

Break Damage Limit
Triple Overdrive

Sure, but Lulu's 1 MP Cost/MP Turbo or Tidus's Evade & Counter/Magic Counter combo is much, much, much better than Rikku's Gillionaire/Double AP combo, for example. By the end of the game you have all the AP and Gil you could want.

Rikku's ultimate weapon totally should have had Alchemy as one of the abilities.

All this X-2 talk makes me want to play my copy I've never touched before. I was told the game wasn't very good.

The game is very good. The story is questionable and the requirements for 100% are absurd but the game is good.

Some people just couldn't handle the amazing bubblegum atmosphere.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
It was weird to just see character models animating. It doesn't seem like they're that far along, otherwise they would've shown gameplay. Excited to play it whenever it comes out on PS3.

They have the action figures almost ready, easy to guess this game will be a september/december release then.

My hopes:

-New Game+

How about some X-2 character cameos during Operation Mi'ihen.

YES!!! I was on the edge fighting myself not to buy a vita on release date last year because I didn't care much for the release games. But I hear the rumors of ff X on vita ( my favorite rpg) just the mere rumor made me buy the vita. and Now it's finally here!!!! thank you square enix now give me some god damn ff versus

Seda

I hope we get news today at the event today, anyone think we will?

I doubt it, but it's probably safe to say that they will spend a little time talking about the PS3 and its history and yaddayadda and may mention it in passing when talking about the future of the PS3: "And the PS3 still has many great games coming, like God of War: Ascension, The Last of Us, and Final Fantasy X HD," or something.

jaxword

is it a remake or upres?
i hope there's a chance for xii remake. i hate x but xii was my favorite ps2 rpg.

Square Enix's policy is, LITERALLY and yes I am using that correctly, LITERALLY "If you want us to do game X, then buy lots of game Y."

So basically, get everyone to buy this and show that there's a market here for more remakes.

Hobbun

Square Enix's policy is, LITERALLY and yes I am using that correctly, LITERALLY "If you want us to do game X, then buy lots of game Y."

So basically, get everyone to buy this and show that there's a market here for more remakes.

Didn’t work for Type-0.

Final Fantasy has always sold well in at least in NA (not sure about EU).

Wouldn’t be surprised if FF X HD comes out (for Japan), and then you never hear anything again.

Aurizen

I really hope soon means soon like next month. but I think soon really means soon this time. usually when games are revealed like a video or something that's when info starts rolling out, so maybe in march we'll see game play or more screenshots.

Square is having the nice tendency of releasing their games in China with japanese audio and english subtitles. It's just a matter of buying that version now, too bad you can't get DLC on Vita...

Type-0 had nothing "before" it for fans to buy and prove there's a market, though?

Here's an interesting article:

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/June_5,_2009_-_RPGSite_Interview_with_Shinji_Hashimoto.html

Could be fake, I suppose, but I doubt it...

It's true. I also asked the writer (APZonerunner on GAF) for confirmation back then and he said Hashimoto really did say that, but Square Enix told them to remove that part from the interview before its publication (at http://www.thegamingvault.com/2009/07/exclusive-front-mission-evolved-square-enix-interview/ ).

Square Enix said nothing about that small preview of the interview so that's why the preview remains while the full interview doesn't contain the controversial quote.

jaxword

It's true. I also asked the writer (APZonerunner on GAF) for confirmation back then and he said Hashimoto really did say that, but Square Enix told them to remove that part from the interview before its publication (at http://www.thegamingvault.com/2009/07/exclusive-front-mission-evolved-square-enix-interview/ ).

Well, there we go then.

If you want Square Enix to listen to you, your only mouthpiece is the dollar. 100000 critical messageboard posts are completely, totally ignored, ESPECIALLY if they're from English speakers.

Buy brand X to get more brand X.
Do not buy brand Y to make them stop making Y.

Aside from someone here magically having an insider line to speak to Kitase or Nomura or Wada directly...all this complaining or praying and wishing reaches no one.

i dont think i can ever let myself suffer through hahahahahahaha or the extremely forced romantic relationship ever again.

KtSlime

Oh the whole buy more only applies if you live in Japan since they care more for their esteemed JP audience.

Shouldn't they? They are a Japanese company, they should care most about their target audience, and less about the fickle changing tastes of the west where they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

FFX-2's not bad, it's more of an expansion pack to FFX than a new full game though- the entire world of FFX is reused. IIRC there were like 2 new dungeons that felt like real FF dungeons and all the rest of the new dungeons were plain corridor mazes that look like they could have been randomly generated. It wasn't worth the $50 I paid for it back when it came out, but it's decently entertaining because of the job system with the fun costumes.

Kyon

Banned
FFX-2's not bad, it's more of an expansion pack to FFX than a new full game though- the entire world of FFX is reused. IIRC there were like 2 new dungeons that felt like real FF dungeons and all the rest of the new dungeons were plain corridor mazes that look like they could have been randomly generated. It wasn't worth the $50 I paid for it back when it came out, but it's decently entertaining because of the job system with the fun costumes.

If anything X is the expansion pack tbh.

7 and 10 are the only Final Fantasy games I played through to completion. PAL version of 7, and Japanese (then later PAL) version of 10. I don't demand remakes, but I certainly won't complain about the opportunity to play these games again -- and neither should anybody else who only experienced PAL versions of them. It's not like Square are putting out new Final Fantasies to play at any great pace after all.

So maybe you should quit fudging around on the Internet yourself, because you're speaking nothing but speculative nonsense.

So... how likely is it that FFX will also end up on PS4 ? And what about the game running on the Luminous engine ? What we saw the other day on the surprise Vita presser didn't look like it was running on a new engine, but maybe they still have a long way to go ? I know that is wishful thinking on my part, but goddamn, I'd really like it if FFX, X-2 and XII were ported to the PS4 onto the Luminous engine with new bells and whistle here and there.

friz898

I'm going to vote no.

I also think if they do FFX-2 remaster, they'll use their same setup and pop it out for ps3/vita.

But I would not be surprised if the FF 12 remake that will come SOMEday.. to be on PS4.

Edit: By remake I meant HD-ified remaster.

It seems for remakes they've left off at FF IV, which is why of course everybody is waiting for FF V 3DS.

You know a series is (was) really good when you can sell ports/remasters, and then come back later and sell remakes.

So you basically end up with:

1. Original Version - $$$$$$$$
2. Greatest Hits Etc - $$$
3. Remaster/Bundled Pack - $$$$$
4. Remake - $$$$$$$

Damn that's a nice "cushion" for when new IPs or failed sequels do not work out.

Exentryk

Aibo from FFReunion tweeted an interesting rumor.

H6j1JBs.png

Roughly translates to "FFXHD's latest screenshot (PS3 version) is comparable to almost FFXIII. The game is coming in June. FFX-2 HD is also planned."

Original source of rumour is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom