• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXII Revenant Wing DS - April 26 in Japan

ethelred

Nice. That's very, very soon... can't wait for the US release! :D

And yeah, it should sell massively. Hopefully, after FFIII and DQMJ, Square Enix prepares an absolutely huge stockpile of carts.

BrodiemanTTR said:
Jesus, DS doesn't let up in Japan. It's got at least one big game every month.

Square Enix has a big game almost every month for it. Front Mission and Heroes of Mana in March, FFXII in April... IAWW in May, maybe? Then there's Crystal Chronicles, Itadaki, DQIX, FFT A2...

ethelred said:
Nice. That's very, very soon... can't wait for the US release! :D

And yeah, it should sell massively. Hopefully, after FFIII and DQMJ, Square Enix prepares an absolutely huge stockpile of carts.

And an even more massive one for DQ9.

Amir0x

Banned
anything to keep my FFXII love blooming, even this. Come to me, Revenant Wings. Let me ride on the wind once more in your magical universe!

Doctor_No

Much sooner then I anticipated, I was expecting it to be the big summer RPG release that Square Enix usually has. Perhaps there is some hope DQ9 will be released earlier then expected.

Amir0x

Banned
cvxfreak said:
5040 Yen only? No standard SE ripoff?! (FFI&II was 5800 Yen for example)

maybe they think this will help the title even more, since FFXII is not the most popular FF in Japan

ethelred said:
Square Enix has a big game almost every month for it. Front Mission and Heroes of Mana in March, FFXII in April... IAWW in May, maybe? Then there's Crystal Chronicles, Itadaki, DQIX, FFT A2...

Speaking of, where are these games? Itadaki has been completely off the map after the Famitsu spread like four months ago. And A2 was just a footnote in the FFT PSP announcement.

Squeenix better get out at least 1 million carts on launch. I don't except them to get through all of that in even a month, but it'll give them some time before they get another decent shipment.

cvxfreak

End of April has Pokemon DP in the US
FFXIIRW in Japan

In April, hardware shipments are supposed to increase. I can see why.

ethelred

cw_sasuke said:
3rd SE Mio Seller on DS i think.....

Strong possibility. Hmm. Square Enix had 6 million sellers on the PS2 in Japan... if Revenant Wings sells a million, that'll be 4 (counting DQIX on the DS). Wonder what else they'll come up with.

KINGMOKU

Is this game a million seller? Becuase if it is, it would mark 4million sellers(DQ Is going to be a Million seller, so I've includd it) for S-E on the DS.

That would be more then the 3 they hav betwen them on the GB/GBA.

Truly astounding. S-E is just printing money off of the DS.

cvxfreak

I think there's a good possibility, but in no way guaranteed like FFIII was. FFXII was the least popular FF of the ones that came after FFIV, so it makes me wonder how a side story would do.

ethelred

cvxfreak said:
I think there's a good possibility, but in no way guaranteed like FFIII was. FFXII was the least popular FF of the ones that came after FFIV, so it makes me wonder how a side story would do.

I'm not sure when FFIII was ever a guaranteed million seller. In terms of "remake's percentage of the original game's sells," it outperformed DQVr. I'd say its ultimate sales are pretty impressive as far as remakes go, and it wasn't guaranteed to do as well as it did.

It could've easily leveled off at the 500k range of Tactics Advance (which still would've put it well over all the GBA ports).

So yeah, RW isn't guaranteed. I think it has a fair shot, though. The question is whether gamers will view it as more along the lines of FFX-2 or the FFVII Compilation games. Personally, I think it's got a lot more in common with the former (which was a million seller).

Jiggy

Certainly wasn't expecting it this soon, but hey, whatever works! And whatever gets the Japanese gamers' impressions to me sooner. I really want to go about hoping and hyping for a US release post-haste, just need some hands-on reviews to justify it first.

cvxfreak

I personally found it highly unlikely that it wouldn't break a million. The DS's popularity was just unstoppable, it was based on a game that had never been re-released and it quite frankly looked amazing. We have stuff like the amazing success of the Famicom Mini lineup and New Super Mario Brothers and Tetris DS just a few months earlier. I would have been shocked if it didn't.

Deku

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I personally found it highly unlikely that it wouldn't break a million. The DS's popularity was just unstoppable, it was based on a game that had never been re-released and it quite frankly looked amazing. We have stuff like the amazing success of the Famicom Mini lineup and New Super Mario Brothers just a few months earlier. I would have been shocked if it didn't.

I also think how the game is positioned and marketed will play a big role. The genesis of this game is the legions of casual gamers who might have not touched FFXII so the control scheme (stylus vs. d-pad or both?) and how the player interact with the game-world will be a big part.

I'm not saying it's going to be like a beginner's RPG but I think if the game is done right, it will be an introduction or re-introduction back to Final Fantasy which could mean big sales. It depends a lot on the game content than brand power. This is probably the first major (FF/DQ) S-E project for the DS where its performance is the most variable. DQM:J and FFIII were sort of known quantities. One is a remake of a great FF game the other is an established spinoff of a massively popular franchise.

Carlisle

Ah geeze. I'll be in Japan by then, starting a one-year stint as an English teacher. Do you realize how hard it will be to see this on store shelves and NOT buy it?

ethelred

cvxfreak said:
I personally found it highly unlikely that it wouldn't break a million. The DS's popularity was just unstoppable, it was based on a game that had never been re-released and it quite frankly looked amazing. We have stuff like the amazing success of the Famicom Mini lineup and New Super Mario Brothers and Tetris DS just a few months earlier. I would have been shocked if it didn't.

I would've found it highly unlikely for the game to not break a million, too, but it wasn't guaranteed. It could've gone the other way.

Frankly, all the factors that worked in FFIII's favor are working for FFXII: RW, too -- and I think Square Enix's ever increasing presence on the DS is only going to buoy the sales of these game more and more. And like I said, the game seems to have a lot more similarities to FFX-2 than spinoff games, and I think there'll be more than enough of the FFXII fanbase that a million copies will get sold.

TreIII

Not bad...not bad at all.

Even so, I'm still some what hoping that maybe ASH and/or It's a Wonderful World will also make it for the "Golden Week" rush too.

PantherLotus said:
Does that mean we might see a translation before Christmas?

FFIII came out in the US only three months after its JPN counterpart, so here's to hoping July.

Jonnyram said:
I expect ASH around Golden Week though.

Why? We haven't seen this game or heard anything about it in forever.

ethelred

PantherLotus said:
Does that mean we might see a translation before Christmas?

I think it's (since this seems to be the theme of the thread) guaranteed that we will.

BrodiemanTTR said:
FFIII came out in the US only three months after its JPN counterpart, so here's to hoping July.

Nope. This game has "Holidays in the US" written all over it.

BrodiemanTTR said:
Why? We haven't seen this game or heard anything about it in forever.

Because Sakaguchi said "first half of the year," and that it's almost done, and that it's their top priority after the BD additions in March.

I was expecting DS sales to start hitting a constant level soon (Maybe down to 90,000 a week for a while) but i really can't see that happening yet WHATSOEVER!

This in Japan along with DQIX and others. Pokemon still to hit USA and Europe.

Still most likely to have Nintendogs follow ups, along with Brain Training 2 still to be released in the west.
I really can't honestly see a slow down period ahead for DS.

duckroll said:
I'll be buying this instead of Persona 3 Fes. TAKE THAT ATLUS!

You know what happened to the last guy who got bitter?

HE GOT HIS LEGS AND ARMS CHOPPED OFF BEFORE BEING DUMPED INTO LAVA, THAT'S WHAT.

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
Nope. This game has "Holidays in the US" written all over it.
Yep... I get the feeling Squeenix USA is going to try and squeeze near everything into Q4. Maybe we'll get something like Mana or DQM this summer, but fall's sure to be loaded with RW, WW and FFCC. FFTA2 and DQIX will be 2008 then.

jesusraz

I seriously though Itadaki would have been released before FFXII: RW, possibly this month...but it really has gone quiet on that front. Wonder what's going on?

Anyway, I kind of got the feeling this would be out in Japan soon, since I've been hearing rumblings of surprise announcements for Europe from S-E (Chocobo being one, FFXII likely as well, heck even IAWW is a possibility, surprisingly enough).

Really looking forward to the game as it sounds perfectly like my cup of tea! :D

Kafel

Banned
Where could I find screens of Itadaki DS ? I've done a quick search and the only one related to the game I've found is this one :

ME0000733726_2.jpg

: |

duckroll

Pureauthor said:
You know what happened to the last guy who got bitter?

HE GOT HIS LEGS AND ARMS CHOPPED OFF BEFORE BEING DUMPED INTO LAVA, THAT'S WHAT.

And then he became one of the coolest villains there ever was. :D

Only because he had an emperor of the galaxy present to save his butt.

Do you have an emperor of the galaxy ready to save your butt?

Top Bottom