• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXIV might have the best soundtrack in an MMO of all time .

Myths

I mean… there are a lot of singles you could handpick out of most MMOs that one enjoys most. I couldn’t say one or the other is the greatest of all time with certainty.

Holy Consult, Navigator’s Glory, and Twilight over Thanalan are my top picks. Nemesis is another thrill for encounters.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
Nope. Ragnarok Online.

Final Fantasy XIV has a lot of really good music, but it loses points because it uses the same few songs over and over again in cutscenes.
I groan every time they play “Machinations” in a cutscene. Easily the most overused cutscene song in the game, and it’s a 45 second loop. And it plays in rest areas in Northern Thanalan!

Nearly as bad is the track they had on a 60 second loop for like, two hours during the part in Endwalker where you’re wrapping things up in Labyrinthos.

The desert music is probably my favorite track from RO. Such a fantastic song. Captures the mood perfectly, and I always think about those honking pecopecos when it comes up on my playlist.

Rykan

I groan every time they play “Machinations” in a cutscene. Easily the most overused cutscene song in the game, and it’s a 45 second loop. And it plays in rest areas in Northern Thanalan!

Nearly as bad is the track they had on a 60 second loop for like, two hours during the part in Endwalker where you’re wrapping things up in Labyrinthos.

The desert music is probably my favorite track from RO. Such a fantastic song. Captures the mood perfectly, and I always think about those honking pecopecos when it comes up on my playlist.
Oh dude I hate Machinations. I was so done with that song. My other nominations for groan inducing, overused music are: Imperial Will (We get it, Empire Bad) and Cheeky/Bliss, which only exists to let you know that you're about to witness another poor attempt at humor that you can safely skip over.

It's unreal how much good music there is in that game, yet they keep using those few songs.

RO is filled with good tracks. The Desert Music is awesome. Payon Dungeon probably is the most nostalgic for me, followed by Streamside.

Might? There is no competition. Every expansion adds like what... 30+ songs? And it's not a quantity > quality thing, because most of the songs ARE quality. I love how every expansion switches up musical styles (Heavensward church organs were amazing) to keep it fresh... honestly, the soundtrack is one of the few things I can still gush about in XIV because it has never wavered (unlike most other aspects of the game, but that's another discussion).

This incredible song debuted just a month ago:

Koenigssee

ARR's music (Pharos Sirius track to be precise) got me interested and paid hard earn money for this game, fully accepted back then that it might be nothing more than a mid MMORPG in FF skin with some classic FF nostalgia sprinkled in.

Glad it is more than that.

Ishgard Day and Night theme are still my favorite tracks, got the golden age Squaresoft RPGs feelings in them.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
You know,

There was something I've been wondering about.

What extent was Eorzea damaged during the battle of Carteneau? Obviously it was pretty fucked up since there is debris all over the continent. But some of the dialogue in the conversation with Louisoix implied that the major cities were destroyed and everyone died, but he brought them back with his Phoenix powers? Is this the correct interpretation?

Thabass

This song, by itself, makes it the best OST.

The rest of the soundtrack + expansions OSTs are just cherries on the top.

Here's more goodness:

I rest my case. There are SO MANY MORE I could post.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
You know,

There was something I've been wondering about.

What extent was Eorzea damaged during the battle of Carteneau? Obviously it was pretty fucked up since there is debris all over the continent. But some of the dialogue in the conversation with Louisoix implied that the major cities were destroyed and everyone died, but he brought them back with his Phoenix powers? Is this the correct interpretation?
Yes, your interpretation is correct. The damage is extensive, considering Coerthas was a more temperate locale akin to Germany prior to that event. It was extensive enough to give the region eternal winter. It also made the elementals in the Black Shroud pretty impotent, nigh irrelevant. It was actually nice to see the developers revisit the elementals in one of the major sidequests in Endwalker.

Last edited:
FFXIV has an incredible soundtrack to the point that it's stupid to even list them because there are so many good ones.

I am a little surprised that WoW is receiving some support; Blizzard itself considers the game to have more of an atmospheric soundtrack than a musical one.

WoW has some standouts:
Howling Fjord, Wintergrasp [Night], Grizzly Hills, Invincible, and Lament of the Highborne. Outside of that I've never been overly impressed with the soundtrack, and I've played WoW for 18 years, and FFXIV for 12.

Last edited:
FFXIV has an incredible soundtrack to the point that it's stupid to even list them because there are so many good ones.

I am a little surprised that WoW is receiving some support; Blizzard itself considers the game to have more of an atmospheric soundtrack than a musical one.

WoW has some standouts:
Howling Fjord, Wintergrasp [Night], Grizzly Hills, Invincible, and Lament of the Highborne. Outside of that I've never been overly impressed with the soundtrack, and I've played WoW for 18 years, and FFXIV for 12.

I think WoW used to have just as good of a soundtrack - with some standout ones even through Cata and MoP - but they fell off hard. I can’t remember or hum a single tune from the last few expansions and I raided Mythic throughout Legion and BFA. Hundreds of hours and not a single memorably chord or melody.

FFXIV on the other hand? I mostly just casually play it and I can remember each melody/tune for each zone. Boss battles I can listen to endlessly even outside the game. That is a sign of a great OST.

sigmaZ

Topics like this make me go WTF and question whether the people posting have actually played more than one mmo

heck FF11 had a better OST than FF14. Ragnarok Online still wins though

FF XIV has great music, but it's all a bit flashy for me. I prefer simple, groovy, melody driven stuff like this over over-the-top melodramatic choruses any day of the week.

Nico_D

It has it's moments. ARR was largely inconsequential, some highlights here and there but too far apart. The first time I actually paid attention to the soundtrack, or the soundtrack caught me, was at the end of Heavensward with Dragonsong.

Stormblood, again, passable but nothing memorable. Shadowbringers on the other hand was amazing through and through. I haven't started Endwalker yet, I hope it ´manages to keep it up.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I still think World of Warcraft at least the early expansions as well as Suramar have the best music in a MMO in the open world environments.

FFXIV's best music comes from dungeons and boss fights IMO.

I do have a soft spot for the music of FFXI which I feel as a whole is better then FFXIV.

FF XIV has great music, but it's all a bit flashy for me. I prefer simple, groovy, melody driven stuff like this over over-the-top melodramatic choruses any day of the week.

It absolutely has that kind of music by the spades as well. Almost every zone is simple melody driven stuff. Many dungeons are melody driven. Its usually only reserved for raids/bosses for the super epic choirs.

eNT1TY

Using the entirety of the Final Fantasy ip's arsenal of tracks helps but even the original 14 tracks are fire.

wisozp

Neo Member
FFXIV audio for me dont feel well tought out, audio feel like a roller caoster.
Audio guy wake up from heavy drinking and said hey! lets put some heavy metal here and some pretentious choir there.
I grew up on 10,11,12 audio, even 7-9 had great music. SQUARE plz put some good tunes in 16, tell the audio guy to dont do too much.

hear this? days have spent camping monsters hearing the same damn tune, its simple and can hum along. *spotify playlist >_>*

sigmaZ

FFXIV audio for me dont feel well tought out, audio feel like a roller caoster.
Audio guy wake up from heavy drinking and said hey! lets put some heavy metal here and some pretentious choir there.
I grew up on 10,11,12 audio, even 7-9 had great music. SQUARE plz put some good tunes in 16, tell the audio guy to dont do too much.

hear this? days have spent camping monsters hearing the same damn tune, its simple and can hum along. *spotify playlist >_>*

Nbc I Concur GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Klosshufvud

Agree with this. This is why Uematsu is the God of JRPG composing. His music is simple but with a clear melody and mood to it. Soken is just opposite of that. He goes overdrive too easily and too many tracks end up being a mess of instruments going at it at once. When I listen to Soken, I'm just lost on what the intended mood besides "this is epic" is. Not impressed by anything I've heard in FF16 aswell...

Xane

Why do they have to shoehorn lyrics into everything nowadays.
I take melodic instrumental music over this any day, and FFXIV has some great tracks that don't rely on distracting lyrics.

Also agree on Ragnarok Online's OST, it's pure nostalgia for me.

Top Bottom