• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXIV stops selling Endwalker copies because too many people bought them.

killatopak

Gold Member
For those who bought them, you also get free 21 days of subscription because of the server congestion.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/e7388986bc24d5a1337e0beed057f7b5b78b9bb3

Hello, this is Naoki Yoshida, Producer & Director of FINAL FANTASY XIV. 

We apologize for the ongoing congestion that has been occurring since Early Access and the official launch of Endwalker. It's been nearly two weeks since the start of Early Access and players are still experiencing substantial congestion when logging into the game. As we have new content set to release in upcoming patches, I'd like to provide you with several updates on our plans to address these issues.

■ Additional Game Time Compensation

We are aware that the long waiting times to log into the game are preventing players from playing, and for this, we sincerely apologize. In response to this, we recently granted 7 days of game time, but now we will also be granting an additional 14 days.

This will apply to all players (including those with multiple accounts) who own the full version of the game and have an active subscription as of Tuesday, December 21, at 12:00 a.m. (PST), which is the scheduled release date for Patch 6.01. Further details regarding eligibility will be announced separately.

■ Suspending Delivery of Package Versions and Temporary Suspension of Digital Version Sales

Players are currently experiencing extremely long wait times due to the dense concentration of play hours which far exceed our server capacity, especially during the peak times, and so we have decided to temporarily suspend the sale and delivery of FINAL FANTASY XIV Starter Edition and Complete Edition. Additionally, although those with an active subscription are prioritized to log in, Free Trial players are unable to log in outside of late night and early morning hours, and so we will also temporarily suspend new registrations for the Free Trial.

These temporary suspensions will be phased in over the next few days as we work with our retail partners. We will be coordinating with them as swiftly as possible, but please bear in mind that this will be a gradual process.

We will also be suspending all new advertisements. However, it will not be possible to suspend some of the advertisements due to the nature of how they were set up. We appreciate your patience and understanding regarding this matter.

Expansion packs and Collector's Edition digital upgrades will continue to be available for existing players so that they may upgrade as needed.

To those who have been invited by their friends and family who have been considering joining, as well as our retail partners, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and ask for your understanding and cooperation in order to reduce congestion. We will continue to monitor the situation as we consider the timing around resuming sales.

More info and patch announcements on the link.

Suffering_from_Success_light.jpg

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I had sex with a girl once, she was terrible.... so I must be gay.

One bad partner does not make or break a situation.

Imagine If everyone just gave up because the One time you tried it didn't work out.

What tells you that they haven't experimented with Microsoft itself?

Imagine thinking you know better then them about what they need for their own MMORPG lol 😂

MaulerX

There's a link for a reason in the OP. How about you read why they haven't in there? 🤔

Sorry should have been more specific.

They're obviously having trouble building more data centers (they clearly don't have enough for their game). Don't see why they can't be more proactive and rent out Azure or Amazon or Google servers in the mean time to help with the immediate situation rather than waiting so long. It might be a looooong while before they can build anything on their own.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
They're obviously having trouble building more data centers (they clearly don't have enough for their game). Don't see why they can't be more proactive and rent out Azure or Amazon or Google servers in the mean time to help with the immediate situation rather than waiting so long. It might be a looooong while before they can build anything on their own.

As mentioned above. They have experimented with cloud and they judged it unsuitable for their needs. Likely because mixing cloud servers and physical datacenters is a terrible idea.

They've been running successful MMORPGs for 19 years. They know what they're doing.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I had sex with a girl once, she was terrible.... so I must be gay.

One bad partner does not make or break a situation.

Imagine If everyone just gave up because the One time you tried it didn't work out.
I don't think it has anything to do with bad partners or any single bad partner. They explored the option and found that it wouldn't fit the criteria they were looking for. I don't think it's surprising given they own their existing servers and have them built physically. It took so long to get OCE servers, which are coming in 6.1.

Asmongold, WoW, Vtubers, etc. all intersecting within the past 6 months certainly did not help.

Last edited:

MaulerX

As mentioned above. They have experimented with cloud and they judged it unsuitable for their needs. Likely because mixing cloud servers and physical datacenters is a terrible idea.

They've been running successful MMORPGs for 19 years. They know what they're doing.

And what do you think cloud servers are? They're actual physical data centers somewhere.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
And what do you think cloud servers are? They're actual physical data centers somewhere.

Duh of course they are. The problem is that they don't run on the same hardware as the physical ones, they're not configured in the same way, and they don't afford the same degree of control.

They said explicitly a few months ago that they experimented with it and didn't work for them.

Last edited:

MaulerX

Duh of course they are. The problem is that they don't run on the same hardware as the physical ones, they're not configured in the same way, and they don't afford the same degree of control.

They said explicitly a few months ago that they experimented with it and didn't work for them.

At some point they made a choice and now they're paying the price for that choice.

There's a reason Sony is paying MS to use its Azure servers. Building your own world-wide network of sustainable and reliable servers costs billions of dollars.

Kagey K

Banned
Or maybe they just aren't THAT greedy, and don't find it worth enough to bother...
Yeah.... This is Square you are talking about, in case you forgot.

They aren't that greedy, or at least not that that greedy 🤣

I can't believe you got that out with a straight face.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
What tells you that they haven't experimented with Microsoft itself?

Imagine thinking you know better then them about what they need for their own MMORPG lol 😂
I suppose it would be just as funny as you assuming, except I did it first.

You have any evidence? Or just making Strawmen?

Even they seem to not know what they need for thier own game.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
At some point they made a choice and now they're paying the price for that choice.

There's a reason Sony is paying MS to use its Azure servers. Building your own world-wide network of sustainable and reliable servers costs billions of dollars.

Sony doesn't run MMORPGs.

They have made that choice knowing what they needed and what cloud solutions offered, which did not match.

You have any evidence? Or just making Strawmen?

Naoki Yoshida himself said so during this livestream. I reckon he knows better than you do.

Even they seem to not know what they need for thier own game.

There is zero indication of this. They know very well what they need, and apparently it's not cloud-based server hosting.

It's always hilarious to see people with zero knowledge of a situation who are absolutely convinced they know better than those working on it. 😂

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Sony doesn't run MMORPGs.

They have made that choice knowing what they needed and what cloud solutions offered, which did not match.

Naoki Yoshida himself said so during this livestream. I reckon he knows better than you do.

There is zero indication of this. They know very well what they need, and apparently it's not cloud-based server hosting.

It's always hilarious to see people with zero knowledge of a situation who are absolutely convinced they know better than those working on it. 😂
I can see that, its working out well for them so far.

I too love turning short term customers into non customers because I can't handle it, even though there are all sorts of lanes to manage it.

Last edited:

95mellow

When do we think the queues will return to normalcy?

I'm back to working from home now so I can queue a little earlier in the day. However, when I was in the office, returning home and being met by a 7K+ queue that you had to babysit due to network errors felt awful.

How about they just upgrade their server capacity?
Maybe they can borrow some from New World? They for sure aren't using their server space.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I really don't get why this game has become so popular.

I know it's because wow sucks, but ff xiv is an Asian knock off of wow.

killatopak

Gold Member

If that was the case, other MMOs would have eaten a larger chunk of the pie. Except they didn’t. FFXIV can stand on its own. Its success isn’t attributed to just because WoW is on the downtrend.

It is absolutely better in anything WoW has to offer except for PVP.

YukiOnna

When do we think the queues will return to normalcy?

I'm back to working from home now so I can queue a little earlier in the day. However, when I was in the office, returning home and being met by a 7K+ queue that you had to babysit due to network errors felt awful.

Maybe they can borrow some from New World? They for sure aren't using their server space.
The normal post-expansion decline has been a lot slower than previous ones so it'll probably remain for the rest of he month. Hopefully come January it'll die down a bit, but I'm not sure.

Kumomeme

probably only successfull WoW clone out there

despite the game has similliarities with WoW, they didnt aimed to be same things. different philosophy at first place. their focus clearly different compared to WoW. for example the game has less focused to end game content than WoW with more emphasive toward leveling experience. it also it has heavy story driven focus of content due to the game is a final fantasy game.

basically the game did 'copy' stuff from WoW but from that point onward, they aimed to do what their do best instead of trying blatantly copy everything Blizzard did with WoW.

perhaps same blueprint but different strength and execution. what make people like the game is not same as what make people like WoW.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

WoW only served as a blueprint for it. It's undoubtedly a part of its "remake" as Yoshi-P has said many times, but it's long since become its own thing and is by and large a Final Fantasy game and pulls from that.

Typical SE action. Hopefully they will expand their server infrastructure instead of just hoping that people stop playing their own game :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fluo

Consistent quality, respect for the playerbase, known update schedule in-between expansions. These are very important qualities for an MMO, it has to be good now and it has to be good in the foreseeable future so you don't feel your hundreds of hours of progression are wasted. It's a knock-off in the same way WoW is a knock-off of Everquest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom