• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV character designer Roberto Ferrari comments on his creations on Facebook

The game got a 83 on Metacritic so it could have been much worse.
In fact the team did what they could in two years and half, except for the plot and characters :S

The only two characters i have heard some praise from are Prompto and Ardyn

The game had a 86 on the first day didn't it? Dunno if that was my imagination but the game definitely succeeded in reviving the franchise and I do wholeheartedly agree with that. It was just such an ambitious title and I kind of didn't expect all this cut stuff, to be quite honest. SE also had the gall/nerve to announce that they are fixing the story with long term patches AFTER hearing the complaints about the story. I wish they didn't and it had more time. I feel they released it cause another delay would piss everyone off. I just didn't know the game was so incomplete....

I blame Tabata for a lot too... namely Luna's marketing and the marketing in general of this game. But I agree it is nice that Tabata finally made this game playable but the story is just incredibly disjointed that I can't help but feel disappointed. There was a lot of shite cut in development. Look at this Roberto Ferrari guy's comments, that "supposed" 4chan leak and some previous interviews with Tabata that said stuff was in the game but it clearly wasn't. I'd like to know why there were so many problems. I feel it is both Nomura and Tabata's fault.

Tabata didn't have time to have any pre-production time to be done, with the time given by SE to finish it. That lead to a story they literally had to patch together while developing everything else. They then had to cut more because the game HAD to be in stores by the end of 2016.

The best I can compare it to is how The Hobbit became such a clusterfuck. Peter Jackson had the same problem because the Del Toro dropped out, and it left him to pick up the pieces to finish the film because tons of jobs in New Zealand is at risk if the film isn't made.

No excuses about Luna though. She was horribly handled and was nothing more than a perfect mary sue for a main character to pine for.

I feel they released it cause another delay would piss everyone off. I just didn't know the game was so incomplete....

They probably care more about this year's profit so they can a big fat bonus check next year. Then again the game development had already been a cash sink since 2006. Oh I really blame Nomura for this.
After nearly a year of silence, Final Fantasy Versus XIII was briefly shown at Tokyo Game Show 2009 in a private theater showcasing the game's first gameplay footage, though Nomura commented it was merely a demo and most footage would not be used in the final game. He said the clip was made to prove the game was still in development.

On July 2011, in an interview with Tetsuya Nomura, it was revealed that Final Fantasy Versus XIII hadn't yet entered full production.

In December 2012 Hajime Tabata became co-director to finish the project, which would eventually have him transition as the new director. He sat down with Tetsuya Nomura about the direction of the title to ensure that characters, like Noctis, would be maintained in the best possible way. Tabata has later said that when Final Fantasy Versus XIII became Final Fantasy XV, it was around 25% complete

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yeah, in all this "mess" Tabata is the only one who truly deserves to be cut some slack. He's the real hero in all of this.
Yup. I see some people turning on him already because they are fans on the outside who have little understanding of the process, so they blame the man whose name is now currently on the box.

When I look at the finished product of XV, I don't see a game design Tabata "broke"... I see the game Tabata rescued from the brink of the abyss.

GunBR

I still don't understand why all the hate about Cindy
It's oversexualizaded and unrealistic? Yes, but we can find this type of design in 90% of the JRPGs (or maybe 90% of all japanese games), including past Final Fantasy

It's oversexualizaded and unrealistic? Yes, but we can find this type of design in 90% of the JRPGs (or maybe 90% of all japanese games), including past Final Fantasy
I agree with you but I believe a lot of people see that as the problem.

LordKasual

Banned
The game got a 83 on Metacritic so it could have been much worse.
In fact the team did what they could in two years and half, except for the plot and characters :S

The only two characters i have heard some praise from are Prompto and Ardyn

I don't think people get how impressive this is.

• Troubled, fragmented, 10 year development history
  • Changed the FF gameplay formula entirely
  • Released within 1 year of reviews of Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, MGSV, Witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and on the same console too
  • Released during like, the worst period of console gaming in Japan
  • Released following the most 3 critically shat on Final Fantasy games ever
  • Is a JRPG, probably the first "next gen" one of its scale out of Japan

XV got an 83. It was closer to 86 at launch.

For all the people shitting on the developers they sure as hell conjured some black magic to stop this game from crashing and burning. It's actually done very well for itself.

Because the game's dearth of prominent female characters pushed her under the spotlight

Her spotlight is pretty weak, then. You really don't interact with Cindy all that much in this game, there are other women far more important than her that you see just as often.

I just don't get why the hate is so strong.

It's not even her writing or animations, it's literally only her outfit that's the problem. But people are treating it as if she's a beacon of sexism who follows you around the game like Navi or something

jiggle

Because the game's dearth of prominent female characters pushed her under the spotlight

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
PSY・S;227136984 said:
The use of color and shape is fine and the hammerhead logo & hat are great.

Final-Fantasy-XV-Cidney.jpg
ScreenShot2015-02-06at13125PM.png

If it wasn't so sexualized (crop jacket, shorts and thong instead of jumpsuit, etc) it'd be a solid design.

When it comes to hair and heat, well, not everything needs to be 100% practical. Especially not in a Final Fantasy game. XV is based on reality but it's not a simulator lol.

There's a lot wrong with it but it wouldn't take much effort to save it and make it one of the best Cid designs.
Yes it would be but as it is now, it's completely undermined by the rest of the design. The team went out of their way to make the best looking renditions of food in a video game yet didn't wanna design a mechanic in a sensible way. It's already too late, can't save a design that was bad from the start, went into full production, and released in a game being just as if not more out of place as everybody said it was gonna be before release.

Just because something is commonplace does not mean we should uncritically accept it as just the way of doing things and it's therefore okay.

As far as I see it, characters like Cindy who are created first and foremost to titillate male players do no service to the industry. It just perpetuates the notion that a female character's worth is so intrinsically tied to how physically appealing she is, while doing scant to flesh them out as believable and meaningful characters in their own right.

Elfstruck

I blame Tabata for a lot too... namely Luna's marketing and the marketing in general of this game. But I agree it is nice that Tabata finally made this game playable but the story is just incredibly disjointed that I can't help but feel disappointed. There was a lot of shite cut in development. Look at this Roberto Ferrari guy's comments, that "supposed" 4chan leak and some previous interviews with Tabata that said stuff was in the game but it clearly wasn't. I'd like to know why there were so many problems. I feel it is both Nomura and Tabata's fault.

This happens in every game. Devs have to cut out some parts because of deadlines. You blame the story to be disjointed, but is it really Tabata's fault? It's hard to flesh out the story when it's someone else vision. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he had like 4 years to work on the game, which is not enough for a game as big as this. If he was to scrap everything, SE would find another director to get the game out.

LordKasual

Banned
As far as I see it, characters like Cindy who are created first and foremost to titillate male players do no service to the industry. It just perpetuates the notion that a female character's worth is so intrinsically tied to how physically appealing she is, while doing scant to flesh them out as believable and meaningful characters in their own right.

Man, I don't even think Cindy's outfit is that egregious from a purely design-based standpoint. A main character in Witcher 3 literally has her nipples visible during regular gameplay.

Cindy isn't dressed very well for a mechanic, but Noctis and Bros aren't particularly well-dressed for fighting dragons, either. Cindy also doesn't emote sexually, nor does she trigger any innuendos. And nobody ever thought to ask whether or not Cindy would just wear that outfit to work on purpose because of what it does to people.

You see Cindy, you go "lol, dat outfit", and then after you get past that, Cindy is just a regular ass character. If people are willing to assume a character is worth nothing more than shame because she's titillating, then that's their assumption to make. But Cindy just is not that bad to me.

Arondight

It is, i already asked him once.
Said the idea was to make a hottie unaware of her own sex appeal, but also very smart and focused on her inventions (inspired by that Porco Rosso girl of whom i don't remember the name).
I think they didn't quite achieve what they were doing if were inspired by Fio Piccolo. Everything about Fio's appearance from her casual clothes all the way down to her engineering/mechanic work clothes feel incredibly normal/practical. Even the camera work has totally different intentions in what is being conveyed. Picture puts into perspective how off the mark the inspiration is.
Love watching the character because of her personality, her actions not because of her appearance. It's also kind of a reoccurring thing with ghibli films as well. Mononoke, Nausicaa, Sheeta, Kiki, Sofie etc. They're all very practical, simplistic designs with incredible diverse personalities and that's what makes them appealing.

Jennipeg

Man, I don't even think Cindy's outfit is that egregious from a purely design-based standpoint. A main character in Witcher 3 literally has her nipples visible during regular gameplay.

Cindy isn't dressed very well for a mechanic, but Noctis and Bros aren't particularly well-dressed for fighting dragons, either. Cindy also doesn't emote sexually, nor does she trigger any innuendos. And nobody ever thought to ask whether or not Cindy would just wear that outfit to work on purpose because of what it does to people.

You see Cindy, you go "lol, dat outfit", and then after you get past that, Cindy is just a regular ass character. If people are willing to assume a character is worth nothing more than shame because she's titillating, then that's their assumption to make. But Cindy just is not that bad to me.

Which one?

At the end of the day she is a figment of someones imagination, and the direct result of their intentions. In this case it's pretty clear what those intentions are and it undermines any characterisation she may have. I don't feel bad for thinking she is worth nothing because the people who made her don't treat her any better, she is exactly what they made her.

If we were talking about a real woman then yes absolutely, I would look past the superficial and get to know her as a person.

Kyoufu

I can assure you there are people out there who aren't in a perpetual state of arousal who think Cindy's design is actually really cool.

I was never once aroused by her appearance but at the same time, I don't think her design is good at all.

What annoys me is Tabata's response to criticism about Cindy's design being too sexy. That rubbed me the wrong way.

I was never once aroused by her appearance but at the same time, I don't think her design is good at all.

What annoys me is Tabata's response to criticism about Cindy's design being too sexy. That rubbed me the wrong way.

That wasnt tabata, it was the other guy with him.

Alfrays

Neo Member
What he says is really sad. Basicaly he left because he didn't believe in the team anymore. For me it's a shame that the game turned out that way, and Ferrari's story shows the problems of development that this FF has.

Edit: in reality his: "that's why i left" is abiguos... i don't know what to think about his reasons for leaving

Edit2: he left to follow nomura

Folstern

Because this is NeoGAF.

Toth

• Released within 1 year of reviews of Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, MGSV, Witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and on the same console too

For all the people shitting on the developers they sure as hell conjured some black magic to stop this game from crashing and burning. It's actually done very well for itself.

Her spotlight is pretty weak, then. You really don't interact with Cindy all that much in this game, there are other women far more important than her that you see just as often.

I just don't get why the hate is so strong.

It's not even her writing or animations, it's literally only her outfit that's the problem. But people are treating it as if she's a beacon of sexism who follows you around the game like Navi or something

Um, FFXIII has an 83 and XIV is doing well at 86. World of FF is at 77. FFIX PC/ios is at 84 and the FFX Remasters were 86. Saying they were critically 'Shat on' is a hilarious over exaggeration when all these recent titles hover around the same score.

Oh, if you mean XIII-2 and LR, those aren't mainline titles and should never be counted in the same breath. Even then, LR is only at 66 and XIII-2 at 79. Hardly terrible scores.

This happens in every game. Devs have to cut out some parts because of deadlines. You blame the story to be disjointed, but is it really Tabata's fault? It's hard to flesh out the story when it's someone else vision. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he had like 4 years to work on the game, which is not enough for a game as big as this. If he was to scrap everything, SE would find another director to get the game out.

Of course it happens but with the long development time of this game I really did expect it to be complete. Tabata is most definitely at fault in my eyes for how he marketed Luna as an essential "keystone" to the FFXV title. It would help if she did anything substantial. It clearly wasn't enough but the wait made it seem like this game should be complete in the end. I know that's a nigh impossible task but Tabata didn't exactly do a good job story wise. The uncovered event and gamescom come to mind where he showed power point slides telling us Luna is strong and Gentiana is important. Yeah, Gentiana is important but
how is she Shiva?
We don't really know this and judging by Roberto Ferrari's comments on Gentiana it seems she had a bigger role as Stella's attendant and even held a sword.

TLDR: Tabata is a hero for making the game playable but the story is still a mess. I get it, he tried but the fact that the game was incomplete by the deadline just shows how insulting it is to announce story fixes AFTER people complained about the story.

Ydelnae

Umbra being able to change between dog form and ninja form makes my heart hurt, since according to an alleged 4chan leaker he was supposed to join the party.

Ferrari sounds so tired of all the Versus project nonsense, I'm glad he got to work on another FF game tho, I hope it works out better this time.

LordKasual

Banned
Um, FFXIII has an 83 and XIV is doing well at 86. World of FF is at 77. FFIX PC/ios is at 84 and the FFX Remasters were 86. Saying they were critically 'Shat on' is a hilarious over exaggeration when all these recent titles hover around the same score.

Lol?

FFXIII was the highest scoring one. Doesn't mean it was objectively good though, even Square knows it was below the curve.

Metacritic:

FFXV - 83 / 7.8 user

FFXIII- 83 / 7.3 user

XIII-2 - 79 / 6.6 user

XIII-3 - 66 / 5.9 user

"around the same score", haha yeah no

Oh, if you mean XIII-2 and LR, those aren't mainline titles and should never be counted in the same breath. Even then, LR is only at 66 and XIII-2 at 79. Hardly terrible scores.

yeah, no.

mollipen

Just in here to say that I love Cidney's design to help balance out some of the hate. I was super disappointed that we didn't get to see older & differently-dressed future Cidney, though.

Lol?

FFXIII was the highest scoring one. Doesn't mean it was objectively good though, even Square knows it was below the curve.

Metacritic:

FFXV - 83 / 7.8 user

FFXIII- 83 / 7.3 user

XIII-2 - 79 / 6.6 user

XIII-3 - 66 / 5.9 user

yeah, no.

Umbra being able to change between dog form and ninja form makes my heart hurt, since according to an alleged 4chan leaker he was supposed to join the party.

Ferrari sounds so tired of all the Versus project nonsense, I'm glad he got to work on another FF game tho, I hope it works out better this time.

His biggs, jesse, and wedge are perfect.

pLow7

Digged down a little bit further into his posts and found other interesting things

On Cid

At the beginning he wasn't supposed to be her granddad, but her dad, in fact before she was called "Cidney" she was called" シド娘( Cid's daughter)"

On Ardyn

They told me to make him look like Jhonny Depp. but as you can see i tried to move away a bit

HeelPower

Yeah, in all this "mess" Tabata is the only one who truly deserves to be cut some slack. He's the real hero in all of this.

The only people that deserve props are the artists,graphics designers and animators.

As usual when it comes to FF recently,they are the only people that actually consistently meet expectations.

The guys who made Duscae what it is managed to lift the game up from being a complete mess.

Toth

Lol?

Metacritic:

FFXV - 83 / 7.8 user

FFXIII- 83 / 7.3 user

XIII-2 - 79 / 6.6 user

XIII-3 - 66 / 5.9 user

yeah, no.

Oh I see, just enough excuse to hate on FFXIII. Carry on if it makes you feel better.

The fact old school FFs are receiving the same metacritic scores as newer titles just goes to show how much more critical reviews are today compared to the overgushing ones of day past. I am a diehard FFVIII lover but I just know it would never get the review scores it got back in 99 if it was released today. I am actually surprised WoFF has a score under 80 considering how much people were fawning over the nostalgia value (plus it's actually a really good game).

dramatis

Sorry, but that's not impressive at all. SE is a big company with a lot of manpower, the ability to attract talent, and a lot of money to finance what is their biggest worldwide IP. Getting an 83 for FF15 is far from impressive, that's just setting a hilariously low bar for a developer that should be able to perform significantly better, since it has all those resources under its umbrella.

I don't think we should be looking at review scores for how 'impressive' something turned out. In terms of sales and profit, FF15 is likely to be a disappointment for SE, but I would like to think they are now smart enough to have known that.

it's lazy and purely for sexual fan service - something they deny. in a "fantasy based on reality" it is ill fitting for the work that she is supposed to be doing, and it stands out particularly when you compare the designs of literally anyone else in the game to her.
Sexual fan service is fine, really. It's folly to start tut-tutting over sexualization, to me, and sex-negativity is a tool of the patriarchy. Gladio's abs are in my face for hours all day, which does nothing for me, but I'm not about to jump in against people who get riled up about him and tell them it's "garbage" that Square wanted to give them a little taste.

tumblr_ns1cfkhGw01slxtnfo2_250.gif

The more egregious problem was that there was nothing for female players to relate to. Final Fantasy's fanbase is only 2/3rds male, which sounds like a lot but is actually pretty even compared to many franchises. Square gave that 35% nothing. Would love to see Square go the "create a character" route (hey, they do it in FF1, FFXI, FFXIV, and Tactics) with the next game so all players can represent themselves.

AlucardGV

Banned

here's the thing: it's not as big as it looks. people on internet can be very loud and vocal, even if few. millions will play it and won't say a word on cidney

Jennipeg

Sexual fan service is fine, really. It's folly to start tut-tutting over sexualization, to me, and sex-negativity is a tool of the patriarchy. Gladio's abs are in my face for hours all day, which does nothing for me, but I'm not about to jump in against people who get riled up about him and tell them it's "garbage" that Square wanted to give them a little taste.

tumblr_ns1cfkhGw01slxtnfo2_250.gif

The more egregious problem was that there was nothing for female players to relate to. Final Fantasy's fanbase is only 2/3rds male, which sounds like a lot but is actually pretty even compared to many franchises. Square gave that 35% nothing. Would love to see Square go the "create a character" route (hey, they do it in FF1, FFXI, FFXIV, and Tactics) with the next game so all players can represent themselves.

I would genuinely love to know who these people are, I guess Gladio is catered to me but I just find him ridiculous on every level. The fact that I dislike his character doesn't help, but I also don't find him remotely attractive.

Maybe i'm to 'old' (i'm 30) to be into a character that looks like him. If I could ask my 16 year old self I may have answered differently. I used to like the Backstreet boys so anything is possible (i'm not ashamed either, you have to own up to your bad taste).

Ishida

Banned
Getting an 83 for FF15 is far from impressive, that's just setting a hilariously low bar for a developer that should be able to perform significantly better, since it has all those resources under its umbrella..

Wow.

GAF is truly a special place...

This below is a snapshot of a storyboard consists of other 130 pictures about which I made for an official presentation on May 30, 2013. The core members will also have hidden these images ??
Of course baloon I added for the occasion ^^
How many memories, there was still Stella ...

On Versus art:

Sadly, I'm not allowed. You could always ask Square Enix directly, maybe they will publish an artbook with all of our previous variations. In particular, I wish I could show you Mihara-san's work (三原さん), he's one of our designers and he has done some really impressive stuff.

more on Gentiana
However the Gentiana drawings are there but because the story has been changed by combining two stages in one (I suppose) even the texture of her dress, which showed its origin, position and rank has changed with this amalgamation.

My Gentiana did not show any expression had to be a little like Lady Oscar for her Marie Antoinette (Stella) always at his side, of few words, but with icy sweet and reassuring smile.

Why do I need a female character to relate to? I don't play FF games to insert myself but to experience the stories of the characters. Characters, not avatars. I found Prompto not fitting in and lack of self-esteem as a child to be incredibly relatable. Just because you shove a female character in a party, doesn't mean I get anything out of her.

Edit: And for that matter, why is it a company's requirement to represent both genders? Why not all races then? Sexualities? Not every story calls for a playable female character. XV's certainly didn't.

Toth

Sorry, but that's not impressive at all. SE is a big company with a lot of manpower, the ability to attract talent, and a lot of money to finance what is their biggest worldwide IP. Getting an 83 for FF15 is far from impressive, that's just setting a hilariously low bar for a developer that should be able to perform significantly better, since it has all those resources under its umbrella.

I don't think we should be looking at review scores for how 'impressive' something turned out. In terms of sales and profit, FF15 is likely to be a disappointment for SE, but I would like to think they are now smart enough to have known that.

Just one thing to add about these scores before we get too off topic:

Pure JRPGs do not score over 90 anymore (Xenoblade was probably the last one that did, and that was 2012 (deservedly so)) on Metacritic. The way FFXV is constructed was never going to ensure a very high Metacrtic score. I would be far more concerned if FFXV was as traditional as a JRPG used to be and still got that score.

The fact that recent versions of IX and X, both the same exact games with all those 9s and 10s reviews back when they are released, now score in the same 82-86 range in 2016 just shows how much ratings have changed. Maybe for the better.

ghibli99

it's lazy and purely for sexual fan service - something they deny. in a "fantasy based on reality" it is ill fitting for the work that she is supposed to be doing, and it stands out particularly when you compare the designs of literally anyone else in the game to her.
The women walking around Lestallum would like a word.

neohwa

They need to get a better character designer next time. More different colors in their outfits please.

Pantz

here's the thing: it's not as big as it looks. people on internet can be very loud and vocal, even if few. millions will play it and won't say a word on cidney

Yeah but sometimes it works and games get censored and it's sad. Just to not offend those loud people.

Jennipeg

The women walking around Lestallum would like a word.

I actually was fascinated by those women, I couldn't quite get my head around why they were wearing underwear (with lace trims and everything) and a pair of huge chaps. Or were they supposed to be overalls? Totally bizarre.

Yeah but sometimes it works and games get censored and it's sad. Just to not offend those loud people.

You also have to consider why these design decisions are made in the first place, if it's there to appeal to the audience, then getting audience feedback isn't a terrible thing imo. They are still catering to their fans.

On the other hand, I believe Vanillaware's ridiculous Sorceress character was like that because that's what they wanted. And fair enough that they wouldn't change it.

The Cindy hate is so laughably misplaced.

Aranea is a far, far, far worse offender. You can be a functional mechanic in Cindy's outfit and it's nothing outrageous compared to what you'll see in any warm-climate city full of young women. Are there some tacky camera angles blatantly designed for fanservice? Yes. But it's a whipping boy that riles everyone up and distracts them from a far bigger joke.

Aranea is an imperial soldier who not only looks drastically different from EVERY SINGLE OTHER member of the Empire in terms of uniform, but her armor is impractical in every single way.

Hate Aranea, not Cindy.

Top Bottom