• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV character designer Roberto Ferrari comments on his creations on Facebook

15179214_1271825869556435_1399383723789873769_n.png

sorry google translate:

on Aranea
Of Aranea they have changed the concept. She was part of a military squad that had a different kind of attack from others. Basic his soldiers attacked saltando.Jump!

on Gentiana
As for Gentiana instead I made two versions, one in uniform and the other in formal party-dress.

Let's say that the new Gentiana has the dress inspired by the two previous versions (collar, color, floral pattern etc ..) In short they wanted to keep quell'iimmagine while modifying it. The face, fortunately, remained the same. particularly unique: in my version also had the glasses with red frames (not always worn).

on Ardyn:

I gave birth Ardyn in December of 2010 when Kingsglaive was not yet in the pipeline. In the movie is a little different from that of the game (more faithful to my plan) I hope you like the same.
Umbra
Along with the characters you mention there are others that I prefer but which have disappeared from history: ninjas had a solid and they were very similar to those you see in Kingslaive though most Japanese.
I'd like to ship them to see one day ...
Just between us, the dog Umbra turned into one of those characters.
My poor Umbra will never see human

on development
But we must say that they are very disorganized. We staff -200 souls in it- we had to work even when the story had not been defined. In 2013, in fact, this blessed story kept changing every three months and the deadline for delivery of the game -That definitively had been set for the end of 2014 (who would have imagined that they would then pulled for long until you get November 2016?).
In the world of animation, however, (the world where I come from) the story is catalyzed guide before calling in if its staff to avoid this type of waste.
bonus on FFVII:
New characters of FFVII unfortunately there are not so many, I just reinterpreted existing ones. I do not have a big margin of fantasy as it was for FFXV ...
The rest here and other posts:

https://www.facebook.com/RobertoFer....1482577345./1271825869556435/?type=3&theater

Did he comment on Cidney's garbage design?

haha, he does in other posts that have her picture. but the only negative thing was not including another pose he did in the artbook.

He also comments on Aranea's breasts in another post so I don't think he's ashamed of his words or deeds.

Koozek

on development
But we must say that they are very disorganized. We staff -200 souls in it- we had to work even when the story had not been defined. In 2013, in fact, this blessed story kept changing every three months and the deadline for delivery of the game -That definitively had been set for the end of 2014 (who would have imagined that they would then pulled for long until you get November 2016?).
In the world of animation, however, (the world where I come from) the story is catalyzed guide before calling in if its staff to avoid this type of waste.​
bonus on FFVII:

Wait a minute. Remember this post from Verendus from early 2013 before FFXV was officially revealed?
I can spill the following comfortably though since I think this developer is a bit of a joke, and I think people are beginning to suspect this anyway. Versus XIII will have another unveiling later this year regarding development for the next generation. It won't have the "Versus XIII" part in the title. It will definitely release in 2014. You can have my account deleted if this information turns out to be inaccurate. News is fresh on this and I'm really confident about it. FF15 and FF16 are underway, both next generation projects. There's a chance FF15, in particular, may be an exclusive release. Kind of. And with that, I'm off to sleep.

jFNF31c.jpg

How the fuck were they supposed to release FFXV in 2014 when it was just rebooted, though??

I don't understand the "hate" on Cindy's design.
it's lazy and purely for sexual fan service - something they deny. in a "fantasy based on reality" it is ill fitting for the work that she is supposed to be doing, and it stands out particularly when you compare the designs of literally anyone else in the game to her.

Koozek

A proper translation would be great.
Paging Philippo.

Are you 100% sure about this? Hashiomoto said they havent started on XVI yet, so this would be a really big deal if its not a mistranslation.
You don't actually believe that, do you?^^ See:
Lol, of course FFXVI is already in development. Hashimoto always says this before a game is revealed officially. In 2014 he and Kitase still said that there's no proper FFVII remake in work and that they aren't sure if they could even make it, when we now know from interviews with Nomura and Kitase that it was already in pre-development during that time:

Kitase:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-17-a-chat-about-that-final-fantasy-7-remake

Hashimoto:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKdNaV9lBCA

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Wait a minute. Remember this post from Verendus from early 2013 before FFXV was officially revealed?

jFNF31c.jpg

How the fuck were they supposed to release FFXV in 2014 when it was just rebooted, though??
I have it on good authority that Final Fantasy XVI will release in 2019.

Damn it feels good to be an insider.

Go_Ly_Dow

Like I said, that was probably the deadline for the cross-gen version of XV. In mid-2012 (when it was scrapped) it was said to be 25% complete.

Now with hindsight, I would have preferred that the game released under this original plan.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
it's lazy and purely for sexual fan service - something they deny. in a "fantasy based on reality" it is ill fitting for the work that she is supposed to be doing, and it stands out particularly when you compare the designs of literally anyone else in the game to her.
Now that we've played the game, Cindy's merely a glorified NPC. It's like wasting our breath on Chocolina.

Foffy

Banned
? I thought Nomura designed all these characters

Nomura designed the main characters.

Ferrari designed sub-characters, but presumably in Nomura's artistic style.

Ferrari did the same when it came to Type-0. A good number of Nomura-ish stylized characters were not made by Nomura at all.

bigol

More bits

Biggs and Wedge were going to be Aranea partners in battle, not train conductors.

Umbra was going to be revealed in human form, but that concept was cancelled

In 2013 the staff (i think the designer staff) was composed of 200 people that had to work when story wasn't even defined. The plot kept changing every 3 months and the final release was scheduled to be in late 2014.

? I thought Nomura designed all these characters

I'm so confused. What's his role in SE? I thought the characters in both VII, VIIRemake and XV were designed by Nomura.

Main characters are Nomura. They've already mentioned elsewhere that the Avalanche crew in FF7R are done by this guy.

It's even like this with Tales games where they bring up who the character designer is like Fujishima and Inomata, but they only do the main characters and a few other NPCs, but the rest of the named NPCs are done by someone else in house.

Gotta give SE credit for not letting that 2014 date out, that would have been a disaster. People lost their minds when it was delayed 2 months, imagine 2 years.

DemWalls

Are you 100% sure about this? Hashiomoto said they havent started on XVI yet, so this would be a really big deal if its not a mistranslation.

Well, technically he didn't say that, my mistake, but it's still ambiguous. The exchange is this one:

Mi spiace sia stato un progetto travagliatissimo, spero di rivederti al lavoro in altri episodi numerati della serie. Attendo FF 7 Remake! ;)
Già sono al lavoro su altri episodi ma quello che avevo fatto per il 15 è stato particolarmente "tanto".

Which translates as:

I'm sorry this has been a very troubled project, I hope to see your work in other numbered entries in the series. Waiting for FF 7 Remake! ;)
I'm already at work on other episodes [*], but I worked particularly "hard" [dunno why the quotes] on FF XV.

* So, he doesn't specifically say other numbered entries, but since the other guy was already referring to them, maybe he just omitted it. Who knows.

Mieu

The ugly head of the long development is showing up. the game could have been a great mainline entry had it been properly taken care of.

Most games would always have these fanservice characters and I look at her that way regardless of what the staff would say.

Oh well, she's already part of video game history so yeah.. might as well just like her.

bigol

Well, technically he didn't say that, my mistake, but it's still ambiguous. The exchange is this one:

Which translates as:

* So, he doesn't specifically say other numbered entries, but since the other guy was already referring to them, maybe he just omitted it. Who knows.

Yeah, i don't know if he is talking about FF 7 Remake but since he speaks openly about that, but was a bit obscure on this one, i think it's a new numbered Final Fantasy. I think they are already working on FF XVI, or maybe it's a spinoff, or XV sequel.

Yeah, i don't know if he is talking about FF 7 Remake but since he speaks openly about that, but was a bit obscure on this one, i think it's a new numbered Final Fantasy. I think they are already working on FF XVI, or maybe it's a spinoff, or XV sequel.

I would be really mad if they havent had XVI in development for a while. They cant keep making people wait 5-7 years between mainline games. That's not healthy for the brand even if the games are good, nobody wants to wait that long.

bigol

I would be really mad if they havent had XVI in development for a while. They cant keep making people wait 5-7 years between mainline games. That's not healthy for the brand even if the games are good, nobody wants to wait that long.

I agree, we can't wait so much for new Final Fantasy games. Besides, if the team has a clear vision, a good director and an established engine four years are good enough to develop a great game.

Will they use FF XV engine in FF XVI or are they going to use Unreal Engine 4?

Shahadan

I must say I agree with him about how the story keeps changing and is not finished until late in the production.
Square enix is often guilty of this. I don't know how common it is in other companies though, but it seems to me that I heard that many times concerning SE projects. Maybe those were mostly Nomura projects though :lol:

For sure, although I think towards the upper end is fine too. Between 3-5 years for a mainline imo is a good balance, for the size and scope they aim for. There's a lot of side games out in that time frame that there once wasn't and the reality is the Japanese market has moved more and more to profitable mobile games - it's even more of an event now when a mainline FF game arrives. Obviously it goes unsaid that the actual dev time during that period has to be focused and successful.

Foffy

Banned
Internally, S-E considers VIIR the next mainline entry to the FF series.

Likely that Ferrari's point was to emphasize VIIR and not XVI.

Riposte

I don't understand the "hate" on Cindy's design.

I understand it, but I don't understand why people think the artists 1) are embarrassed by their own art, 2) don't enjoy drawing those kind of designs (i.e., "they are forced by the market"). People are really good at putting things they don't like in the "illegitimate" category.

Internally, S-E considers VIIR the next mainline entry to the FF series.

Likely that Ferrari's point was to emphasize VIIR and not XVI.

This is exactly why for years I didn't want a FFVII remake (at least not this kind of remake). The series has slowed to a crawl as it is.

Top Bottom