• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV copies out in the wild (street date broken in Peru, possibly elsewhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verendus

Banned
Positive impressions, but IIRC my tastes don't really jive with Verendus.

Battle system must've been drastically overhauled since the demos to be any good. Haven't been keeping up too much.

Still expecting the worst and hoping for the best.
I love the combat. It's one of the big reasons for why I like the game.

If I was to summarize what I think about FFXV, it would be that it shows me potential for the future. That, and the fact that I finally have a game in the series that I actually enjoyed again gives it a special place. There are elements in it that I really want to see evolved because if polished enough, I could get my favourite game of all time. A major aspect obviously being the writing and localization, but I also want more set pieces, an improved real time combat system where I can spam magic, more cinematic cutscenes, and a more polished structure which still retains the feeling of zones. Maybe even dial it back from how it is in here, but create more areas in its place. It's about balance.

I don't want "RPG" like Skyrim or Fallout or the open world titles. I want RPZAASPG. That's Role Playing Zoned Action Adventure Set Piece Game. (I also want my goddamn snow town which is like Altissia.)

Basically, if Uncharted, God of War, and Final Fantasy could have a baby, that would be my ideal game. It feels like this is that, except the baby has just been born and hasn't matured, so there are naturally some issues. But when he becomes a man, he'll be the sexiest man alive. Even sexier than Nathaniel Drakengard, and hopefully just as adept at mass murdering.

I'll go into some of the things I touched about like the snow, story, and some other things when I make the spoiler post. I'm typed out now.

silva1991

95 MC at least after that impression ;)

Nah I still it will be low-mid 80's

Few days and we'll see how it fares.

Thanks for the impression Verendus.

chefbags

That kitase quote was some hype shit yo. Fits well for Tabata to rise. He spent his sleeping hours on this game lol.

Now just let me play the damn thing haha.

Even with those impressions fresh in my mind I still think XV will land on an 83 Metacritic Score. Been sold on the game forever and I have renewed hope in the game's story and pacing. I look forward to seeing how reviews go.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So if I'm reading this correctly, Verendus, you said you spent 30 or so hours in the open world part of the game, and you don't like open worlds.

So if I *do* like open worlds/side content, am I likely to get more than 30 hours out of that half of the game?

Falk

that puzzling face
For the first time in this series, this blend of battle and narrative is more seamless. You're always in control of your character thanks to the real time battle system, and this allows for some very impressive sequences throughout the game. It feels natural, and more importantly, it made some of the narrative moments where these events take place a great part of my experience. You feel like you're a part of the action and more in control than ever before. When I think of story in a videogame, it's not just about the plot or the writing. It's that climb and infiltration of Shinra, it's running across the train as you try to hijack one of its cars, and it's those moments where you're playing something that is part of the narrative, but feels different to just killing a bunch of random enemies or reading dialogue. It's a little more guided, sometimes a little more explosive, and in turn, much more outstanding.

I love that Final Fantasy XV has many of these moments.

This is what I've been telling wmlk since forever, and I think I'm glad I'm not the first one to post these impressions on GAF.

Overall, I enjoyed the story and narrative progression in this game, and I think that enjoyment for many will largely hinge on how much attachment you feel towards Noctis and his three musketeers.

Final Fantasy XV feels familiar, yet different. It has elements that remind me of open world titles I've recently played, but it also has many aspects that strongly remind me of my fondness for Final Fantasy. What makes it feel unique is how it brings these elements together along with its own ambition that's brimming with some interesting ideas, and wraps them around this journey that truly feels like one by the time you're done. It's a fifty hour adventure where the main story isn't an afterthought in a huge world, where you wander aimlessly, but a central component, filled with some visually interesting locations that you can explore should you so desire. And it includes combat that is actually engaging and exciting. It makes me wonder what the developers could've accomplished had they gotten a little more time with this game.

Also completely agreed here.

I'm well aware that BD2 is aiming for a much wider/new market here, the same way FF7 did. However, as the Conan reaction shows (which overall wasn't a negative at all as far as Square Enix goes, mind you) the game, open world or not, still does slant towards a certain player demographic.

The writing itself also is very, very much from the heart of JRPGs. I think it's going to at least half-succeed at what it does in luring out a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't touch the game, but with the main cast it's very much an uphill battle convincing people turned off by the look to take
the car for
a spin.

I fully expect the review thread to be a bloodbath, and I fully expect the game on release, day 1 patch and all, to be a hilarious memetrain of glitches, etc from a million people going through its world like a horde of ants finding every conceivable fault in the Eosscape, but I also expect a lot of people who had worries about the story being a FINAL FANTASY to be very pleasantly surprised.

So if I'm reading this correctly, Verendus, you said you spent 30 or so hours in the open world part of the game, and you don't like open worlds.

So if I *do* like open worlds/side content, am I likely to get more than 30 hours out of that half of the game?

Yes. Also, this was mentioned in the Edge preview, but structure spoilers just to be safe:

You can choose to go back to the open world from the second half, even if it doesn't make 'narrative canon sense'. Think of it like beating the final boss in XIII and being plopped back before it with a higher power level and more content unlocked, but narratively you're still before that final boss. Except a point in a story and not the final boss, in this case

artsi

Now let's end this in a way that's less measured but is the real hot take. Allow me to bring your attention to something that was heard in the halls of Square Enix once upon a time:

"A king's time as ruler rises and falls like the sun. One day, Tabata, the sun will set on my time here, and will rise with you as the new king."

That day comes November 29th, 2016.

Favourite game since Metal Gear Solid 3.
Second favourite Finale Fantasy of all time.
Game of the year.
Game of the generation.

Tabata era. Bahamut represent. Balee dat.

Oh shit man. I'm a balee'ber.

Even with those impressions fresh in my mind I still think XV will land on an 83 Metacritic Score. Been sold on the game forever and I have renewed hope in the game's story and pacing. I look forward to seeing how reviews go.

If anything, his impressions make me believe even more response to FFXV will be mixed because the core of FFXV is that it's a modernised, prettier version of what Final Fantasy has always been, and this is not a reinvention or FFXV going open-world like what people expect open world games to be.

The progression is still zoned, areas are big but they fulfill broadly the same kind of intent as the overworld-FF games, narrative drives the game's pacing and moment-to-moment and set-pieces are there, as with many set-pieces in FF history, and most importantly, for all of the "we're aiming a bigger audience", the heart and design of FFXV appears to be rooted to JRPGs and traditional FF at heart, even with all the evolved systems.

Verendus made me more excited for FFXV, but I could see how what he said is turning people off if they want a "westernised open world" Final Fantasy.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I was saying "sounds good, cool, I'm relieved" as I read.

Then I got to the closing remarks..

WOW.

Thanks Verendus. Hype train picking up full steam.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yes. Also, this was mentioned in the Edge preview, but structure spoilers just to be safe:

You can choose to go back to the open world from the second half, even if it doesn't make 'narrative canon sense'. Think of it like beating the final boss in XIII and being plopped back before it with a higher power level and more content unlocked, but narratively you're still before that final boss. Except a point in a story and not the final boss, in this case

Awesome, I was actually going to ask about that too but forgot. Thanks!

Gemeanie

What Verendus covered is exactly what I expected after reading the news past few months and playing JD so this impression leaves me even more excited for the remaining surprises. And I agree Chapter 0 should have been left out as a huge surprise in character development instead of spoiling us right at the beginning of the game.

Heck Nanaki and Laguna sidestories were some of my favourite in the series too.

I'll be surprised if they don't add Luna DLC after the bros'. As obvious as FFXV is about Noctis and bros Luna deserves more scenes to justifiy her replacement to Stella imo.

Yup. It definitely falls in line with my tast but I can see how divisive the choice in the direction is for other people.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'll be surprised if they don't add Luna DLC after the bros'. As obvious as FFXV is about Noctis and bros Luna deserves more scenes to justifiy her replacement to Stella imo.

I really doubt there will be any female characters playable in the game, even with DLC. Tabata seems to be really against it. It's my biggest slight against the game. It really feels like the female characters will be completely vapid and uninteresting, and that all DLC will be male focused.

Yup. It definitely falls in line with my tast but I can see how divisive the choice in the direction is for other people.

Yea, it's really refreshing to read Verendus post.

As someone who loves the combat system and the Judgement demo in genral quite a bit, I'm glad that there's no "surprises" (e.g game falls apart), which was/is my biggest worry.

I won't lie. The Uncharted mention to draw a parallel wirh a focus on characters got me all hot and bothered.

I think, unfortunarley, it'll be a decisive game amongst critics but atleast there's a high chance I'll enjoy it quite a bit.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Where's your self-control, Jeff? Geez!

I appear to have misplaced it.

I do maintain, however, that I shall most assuredly escape these parts prior to the review thread! Right now I'm very lucky in that Verendus has said Very Nice Things which have me stoked. But the moment someone drops a 4.5/10 review, this place is going to light up in so many flames. I think I'd rather sidestep Falk's aforementioned bloodbath. :p

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Hmm, what a convenient leak and impressions after the Clueless Gamer fiasco. Makes someone think...

istock_tinfoile0s10.jpg

Hmm, what a convenient leak and impressions after the Clueless Gamer fiasco. Makes someone think...

Yes. Hmmmmmmmm

Also, what a convenient demo that's just sitting on the JP store for people to try. Out right before the Conan video to divert attention from impending negativity. Suspiciously titled "Judgment Disc" as if to indicate the end times. Hmmmmmmmm

And what about a day one patch that releases two weeks early? Sounds like the work of the illuminati to me. Hmmmmmm

Thanks so much for your impressions, Verendus! It was a really fantastic and fascinating read, with some thoughtful observations on the evolution of the franchise as a whole. I'm really pleased that the game itself seems to have good pacing with a strong finish. Like with the excerpt Falk reposted, the more seamless blend of combat and narrative sounds like a great step in the continual evolution for the franchise. I'm still quite disappointed about quality of the localization, as just from the promo/advertising, it seems like it's the weakest localization a mainline FF game has had in a long time. The overall plot still being bizarre is a comforting relief! At any rate, it looks like the FFXV team tried to do some interesting things, and I very much look forward to playing the game myself.

I needs some Luna DLC, I needs it!

Your icon freaked me the fuck out, I literally just finished watching The Woman Called Fujiko Mine! (Loved it.) I think I now have a mild owl phobia, ha.

Slater

Banned
I really doubt there will be any female characters playable in the game, even with DLC. Tabata seems to be really against it. It's my biggest slight against the game. It really feels like the female characters will be completely vapid and uninteresting, and that all DLC will be male focused.

No idea about DLC/Luna, and I might be misinterpreting what you mean by playable so forgive me if I do but http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/...han-fishing-guest-characters-new-screenshots/

We know Iris at least is a guest party member

Eh... could go up the street to check and see if my usual spot has it out early since they sell other things early, or I could keep being lazy today and play pokemon...

Gah dammit. I'll go check. (Japan btw)

benzy

Verendus said:
Originally Posted by Yoshinori "Greatest Finale Fantasy Director Of All Time" Kitase

"A king's time as ruler rises and falls like the sun. One day, Tabata, the sun will set on my time here, and will rise with you as the new king."
That day comes November 29th, 2016.

Favourite game since Metal Gear Solid 3.
Second favourite Finale Fantasy of all time.
Game of the year.
Game of the generation.

Tabata era. Bahamut represent. Balee dat.

ObamaWheew.jpg

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh yeah, do we know anything about the trophies/achievements? I'd like it if XV had a fairly meaty trophy list.

If it's anything like past FF games it'll be basically do everything.

I'd prefer if it wasn't but JRPG fans usually don't mind putting in the time for the grind looking at platinum %s.

Implying the Clueless Gamer segment is THAT big of a deal is pretty hilarious.

More the other way around. If Clueless Gamer was that big of a deal, posts on the hardcore NeoGAF aren't going to mean a thing to the Conan watching public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom