• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV copies out in the wild (street date broken in Peru, possibly elsewhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine how awkward/hilarious it would be when we were overhyped by Verendus's big words, and comes the review day, the game scores less than 70. Not likely it would happen, but someone's gonna drink a lot that day.

-shrug- it'd be "funny" but opinions :p I mean, someone probably loves Bad Rats...

? But FFXIII is full of cutscenes, it's the most cinematic FF out there. What you mean o_O
That was pertaining to plot beats and events.

XIII has wonderfully directed cut scenes in a huge number. But very little plot progression happens in em. It's a lot of reiteration of previous events or 'we keep faith' type speeches. Chapter 7 and 8 were my fav bits of XIII as it was the most similar to a ps1 FF in plot beats/events combined with stunning locales and cut scenes there.

If XIII was more like chapter 7/8 (plaum polum and nautilus) throughout it would be my fav FF

The set pieces part is my favorite part from Verendus impressions. Because there's many of them and they help in the narrative, so, it's not just something like "OMG AWESOME, EXPLOSIONs, GRAPHICS, WOW".

Yes, same! This was one of my favorite elements of prior FFs, integration of set pieces into the story, and sounds like XV takes it to the next level :)

Gbraga

Thanks for the detailed impressions Verendus :p

Can you say anything about the open world nature of the first part vs the second part? We all know it gets linear but to which extent? Literally corridors like FFXIII or more like old Zelda/Darksiders games with an HUB and dungeons/large areas connected to it through corridors? I really don't get it yet lol

I'd love to know that as well.

You and me both man.

final-fantasy-xv-recebe-trailer-com-nome-dawn.png

Hahahaha, just caught up with the thread and read your post.

Hold me, Philippo.

Vamp

Ok we know the game is gonna be amazing but nobody has commented yet on the performance.
Has the frame pacing been fixed?

Shari

Don't know if this thread is still for the copies out in the wild or the hype train but, French-GAF, we might have it this afternoon in Paris. If distribution doesn't reach then its monday for sure.

Honestly, the part where Verendus states his opinion on his love for the game, believing it to be the best game since MGS3... so long as one understands it's his personal takeaway that can greatly differ people to people, or even be an outlier opinion from the broader masses. It's important to keep expectations in check in lieu of personal taste.

What's really important are Verendus's overall descriptions of how the game "are put together" in terms of pacing, storytelling, world-setting, etc. From what he said, the game has a sense of identity of what it is and what it aimed to do that largely succeeds, though it's not without stumbling blocks in all aspects as well.

What has kept me to FFXV and being excited for it for so long, is the game's promise of being a game that truly believes and executes in its concept of a bromance road-trip between best buds through the marshes of a fantasy based on reality.

And if the game can deliver that in a way that is Final Fantasy, (whatever the hell that means to each one of us), I will be more than satisfied even if there are plenty of flaws between the seams.

Nya

Imagine how awkward/hilarious it would be when we were overhyped by Verendus's big words, and comes the review day, the game scores less than 70. Not likely it would happen, but someone's gonna drink a lot that day.

As much as I am happy about Verendus's impression, I would have still been hyped and excited for XV regardless. I mean, I would love for the game to get 9s and 10s across the board that finally puts Final Fantasy at the forefront of RPG games, but if that doesn't happen, it will still be fine. The game has appealed to me conceptually and thematically, I like the premise of the game and its characters (thanks to Brotherhood) and from what I've played I like the game play aspect as well. At worse, I would come out from the game with a good enjoyable experience thanks to the gameplay and the character interactions.

Kuni

Hmm starting to wonder if I should play it in Japanese... Does anyone know if we can change voices mid game? (Including if you have to go back to the main menu and reload back in)

jesu

I'll be eagerly waiting for reviews on the 28th, and hopefully get a pre-order in if they are decent.

Verendus's best game since MGS3 statement gives me pause for concern though, all the old Metal Gear games are absolutely gash lol!

I'll be eagerly waiting for reviews on the 28th, and hopefully get a pre-order in if they are decent.

Verendus's best game since MGS3 statement gives me pause for concern though, all the old Metal Gear games are absolutely gash lol!

You buggin.. mgs2 is a masterpiece.

Such a cool implementation of adamantoise. I hope there's some lore around it. Having a mountain size turtle just chilling in the desert for no reason would be a little lame.

Of course if it's all Morla the Aged One I'm not going to want to fight it :-(

That day comes November 29th, 2016.

Favourite game since Metal Gear Solid 3.
Second favourite Finale Fantasy of all time.
Game of the year.
Game of the generation.

Tabata era. Bahamut represent. Balee dat.

Praise Tabata! Farewell sweet prince Nomura! Final Fantasy XV the savior of Final Fantasy!

(That doesn't include MMOs)

Mifec

Such a cool implementation of adamantoise. I hope there's some lore around it. Having a mountain size turtle just chilling in the desert for no reason would be a little lame.

Of course if it's all Morla the Aged One I'm not going to want to fight it :-(

It looks amazing, I just hope the fight has some gimmick to it, because wailing on it for an hour while looking at a wall of brown because of it's size is gonna be tedious.

Avoided pretty much all the recent FFXV related threads and vids' etc, thought I might as well give in and check this thread out, and thankfully it seems like this could be worth the wait.

Toth

Verendus' impressions should be their own thread at this point. They were a fantastic read. I am even more hyped!

I just wonder if Tenebrae (do we visit it?) and Altissia feature any 'open areas' as well or is it all Lucis.

TheTux

Are... we still talking in game hours, or did SE go full Pandemonium Warden/Absolute Virtue?

It's just speculation for now.

10 ingame hours wouldn't be much by the way.

If I'm not mistaken I had a fight last 3 ingame hours in the demo (yes, I'm quite bad, just to get that out of the way).

Any boss fight that lasts more than one (real) hour is just bad design imo.

Gbraga

Yeah they did change that scenario huh.

My theory is that the opening hours of the game were heavily reworked after they decided to make Kingsglaive. The decision for not having the bros in Insomnia during the invasion can be seen back then, with talks of the treaty on the radio while they're in their roadtrip, but many parts of them slowly picking up on something weird going on there seem to be gone, for whatever reason.

It looks amazing, I just hope the fight has some gimmick to it, because wailing on it for an hour whole looking a a wall of brown because of it's size is gonna be tedious.

I agree, though I'm basically fine with one super boss that's just a damage sponge if it's a one-off. Summoning against this thing should be awesome too.

KupoNut

I'm mostly worried that the fantasy/JRPGs aspects of FFXV aren't going to be accepted by reviewers in this day and age, even if it's similar or as good like FFVI or FFVII.

To give an example, sites who reviewed Kingsglaive and who had never heard of Final Fantasy laughed with character designs like Ardyn, while to me I'm used to over-the-top designs like that and I don't even question it (I love JRPGs).

I'm really curious how reviewers will take this game but I'm also not going to be too fixated on a review score if the reviewer has issues with things that are an added value to me.

Mifec

I agree, though I'm basically fine with one super boss that's just a damage sponge if it's a one-off. Summoning against this thing should be awesome too.

Yeah I hope summons do decent damage, I also hope there is more than 1 superboss or well more than 1 endgame/post dungeon. I bought the game too so I'm locked in now rofl. Also holy fuck those typos in my post, it's 14:45 I didn't even have a single drink yet.

I'm mostly worried that the fantasy/JRPGs aspects of FFXV aren't going to be accepted by reviewers in this day and age, even if it's similar or as good like FFVI or FFVII.

To give an example, sites who reviewed Kingsglaive and who had never heard of Final Fantasy laughed with character designs like Ardyn, while to me I'm used to over-the-top designs like that and I don't even question it (I love JRPGs).

I'm really curious how reviewers will take this game but I'm also not going to be too fixated on a review score if the reviewer has issues with things that are an added value to me.
Ardyn's designs is particularly bad, even for a JRPG. (yes I know there are worse, but his outfit is just bad)

chozen

My theory is that the opening hours of the game were heavily reworked after they decided to make Kingsglaive. The decision for not having the bros in Insomnia during the invasion can be seen back then, with talks of the treaty on the radio while they're in their roadtrip, but many parts of them slowly picking up on something weird going on there seem to be gone, for whatever reason.

Lotta changes have happened even after Tabata took over the true script/scenario wasn't really set for a while and I definitely feel like the might have scrambled to get something together.

I think a lot of us can agree that Chapter 0 is really out of place, and starting off in the desert is jarring.

That thing is huge it better move. It will be reallly disappointing if it just sits there...Like why bother?

If it doesn't move, how does it find enough food I wonder?

I'm not expecting it to get up and walk around, but that would be bananas if it did.

Edit at above: seriously?
Like gets up and walks?

jschreier

At risk of raining on everyone's parade: Every single thing in Verendus's big posts could've been gleaned from watching the footage and reading the previews, and there are a couple of incorrect/dubious things in there that make me think he's full of it. Not saying FFXV won't be a great game, but this is fishy.

At risk of raining on everyone's parade: Every single thing in Verendus's big posts could've been gleaned from watching the footage and reading the previews, and there are a couple of incorrect/dubious things in there that make me think he's full of it. Not saying FFXV won't be a great game, but this is fishy.

What are the incorrect things?

Spill the beans :/

Drewfonse

Just read the Verendus impressions. *faints*

Did I read correctly? Did someone who admittedly isn't a fan of open world games and doesn't do a whole lot of side stuff call it a "50 hour adventure"? If so, holy shit.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

scarface39k9b.gif

Gbraga

Mifec

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom