• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV copies out in the wild (street date broken in Peru, possibly elsewhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

This is why I mentioned John Edwards before -- it's the classic psychic approach. You throw out a bunch of predictions, and make many of them as vague as possible like "we're getting new console JRPG from Square Enix" or "the PS4 is getting an exclusive from a major third-party publisher." When it turns out that Square Enix is indeed making a console JRPG and the PS4 is indeed getting a third-party exclusive, you look brilliant, and people tend to remember those vague promises rather than the very specific ones you got wrong (because everyone wants to believe). It's easy to retroactively fit reality into broad predictions, and for the specific ones it's easy to claim that either things have changed or you slipped in false information to avoid getting caught. Add a couple of high-percentage guesses (FFXII remake! FFVII remake!) and you've got a good thing going.

I will say that the "FFXV impressions" were well done - they were very convincing, even though upon close scrutiny it's clear that everything in there could've been gleaned from publicly available information. There were just a couple of slip-ups and assumptions that make me seriously doubt that they're for real.
We are in a post-truth world.

It may be a futile project to fight against people who insist on believing what they want to believe, regardless of fact or fiction.

Slater

Banned
I do wonder what prompted him to post his impressions, as he claims he was never a fan of the series' recent games. You don't make up something this big that puts you at the front and center of attention unless you have valid proof backing your claims.
There was like 2 and a half full pages buggin him to post them after kooz brought it up lol

Falk

that puzzling face
It bears specifically mentioning (again) that the mod team has had suspicions on the validity of Verendus' claims for years. The posts specifically in this thread have not been verified by us. We're actually waiting on a response on this.

I'm specifically treading rather lightly on this because 1) I started posting on GAF relatively recently, and took on mod duties even moreso, so I'm not nearly as well versed in the history here and 2) I've obviously worked on the game itself, so taking moderation actions on a neutral/3rd party site like GAF with regards to information/opinions (fabricated or otherwise) pertaining to the game is personally a very, very gray area as I'd be operating based on information I may have gleaned via work.

Other mods are aware of the situation. If action is taken, it's not specifically these posts but a much deeper history.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It bears specifically mentioning (again) that the mod team has had suspicions on the validity of Verendus' claims for years. The posts specifically in this thread have not been verified by us. We're actually waiting on a response on this.

I'm specifically treading rather lightly on this because 1) I started posting on GAF relatively recently, and took on mod duties even moreso, so I'm not nearly as well versed in the history here and 2) I've obviously worked on the game itself, so taking moderation actions with regards to information/opinions (fabricated or otherwise) pertaining to the game is personally a very, very gray area.

Other mods are aware of the situation. If action is taken, it's not specifically these posts but a much deeper history.

Cool, I understand. Appreciate the insight.

I gotta agree with schreier here. I feel the handling of people in the know varies quite frankly. Like nobody cared about verfifying that dude that said SSM basically is a mess and they are starting from the beginning. He claimed that twice.

And yes, I am annoyed by a lot of teases, its just patethic sometimes.

I'm specifically treading rather lightly on this because 1) I started posting on GAF relatively recently, and took on mod duties even moreso, so I'm not nearly as well versed in the history here and 2) I've obviously worked on the game itself, so taking moderation actions on a neutral/3rd party site like GAF with regards to information/opinions (fabricated or otherwise) pertaining to the game is personally a very, very gray area as I'd be operating based on information I may have gleaned via work.

C'mon Falk give us a hint wrapped in a nice spoiler tag please! Are his claims possible or are there things which contradict your time on the game?

Falk

that puzzling face
C'mon Falk give us a hint wrapped in a nice spoiler tag please! Are his claims possible or are there things which contradict your time on the game?

There aren't any direct contradictions. In fact, some of his impressions do align with my own, e.g. about the visceral control in set pieces vs. previous work in JRPGs.

As Jason said, however, a lot of the things he says are very broad and open to interpretation. There are some things that strike me as odd even as an opinion, but if it's an opinion, then it'd be an opinion.

I'm not going to get any more specific than that.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
so what happened while I was gone, did Verendus come back and confirm that he actually played the game or are people still having a breakdown

We are in a post-truth world.

It may be a futile project to fight against people who insist on believing what they want to believe, regardless of fact or fiction.

It may be, but there's probably no more worthwhile endeavor that we can all contribute to, high or low.

There aren't any direct contradictions. In fact, some of his impressions do align with my own, e.g. about the visceral control in set pieces vs. previous work in JRPGs.

As Jason said, however, a lot of the things he says are very broad and open to interpretation. There are some things that strike me as odd even as an opinion, but if it's an opinion, then it'd be an opinion.

Thanks Falk! That's good enough for me. This is all actually pretty interesting. I'll keep an open mind to all opinions until we receive more word from any source or stream. Or until I finish the game.

Didn't know that! Thanks for explaining.

TBH, this was easily seen in the Titan Boss fight at E3. The set pieces in the fight gave the player full control.

Thanks for the explanation though. Hopefully Verendus clears his side.

Like many people, and as Jason alludes to, I always listened to Verendus not because he seemed to have any special insight but because I loved the idea of a new suikoden or Xenosaga HD. Hype trumps sense, always has, always will.

Maybe the dude is 100% on the level but it seems like he knows what fanboy buttons to press, and thats really why leaks are popular in the first place, we all want to believe.

I wish video game PR wasn't so bizarrely secretive, I think it would cut back on a load of the "my uncle works at nintendo" shit

In spite of all this I still hope Verendus is right and I'm complete wrong because I'm still waiting for Metal Gear collection on PC god damnit...

Yu Narukami

Excuse my igorance but how come he could play the whole game if he works for Sony? Does Square distribute the game to them before release?

Mifec

If you can like Genesis after the terrible Loveless reading bullshit and general bad writing of 7/CC I legit think you can like any game/char no matter how bad they are.

Excuse my igorance but how come he could play the whole game if he works for Sony? Does Square distribute the game to them before release?
Game is already out in the wild! Also likely in the hands of the marketing team etc. Review copies are also given out to the big sites. So there is no doubt that there is a functional retail version available with day 1 patch that can be completed from start to end by anyone that has ties to the developer/publisher/marketing team or other.

Yu Narukami

Game is already out in the wild! Also likely in the hands of the marketing team etc. Review copies are also given out to the big sites. So there is no doubt that there is a functional retail version available with day 1 patch that can be completed from start to end by anyone that has ties to the developer/publisher/marketing team or other.
I know but the game has been out for 2 days in Perou and Kagari said that review copies weren't out yet.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
If you can like Genesis after the terrible Loveless reading bullshit and general bad writing of 7/CC I legit think you can like any game/char no matter how bad they are.

Okay
1x

I know but the game has been out for 2 days in Perou and Kagari said that review copies weren't out yet.
Pretty sure I saw some streamer on Twitter with his copy. IGN also has one judging from their coverage and how they are having a livestream of it on November 22nd.

If there are no review copies out, then we wouldn't have known about the embargo date anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom