• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV first half is open-world, but the story follows a linear path in the latter half

Famitsu got to play up to chapter 3 of Final Fantasy XV and asked Tabata about how far into the entire game is that.

“I believe it covers about 15% or so. The chapters go from 0 to 15,” answered Tabata.

With all the vast content in mind from just the first three chapters alone, Famitsu asks if it’ll be like that from the start up until the very last chapter.

“The entire game structure for Final Fantasy XV consists of both open-world and linear parts,” said Tabata. “The first half keeps going as an open-world, but the story in the second half’s is led by a linear path. That way, you won’t get bored of an open-world as the rest of the game gets tightened up, so we made it in a way that you’ll also get to advance through it as you have in conventional Final Fantasy games. If you play through the first half and only the main route of the second half, I believe the estimated play-time sits at around 40 to 50 hours.”

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2016/08/2...-half-second-half-linear/#bm4URykW8vC5PYtc.99

artsi

If you play through the first half and only the main route of the second half, I believe the estimated play-time sits at around 40 to 50 hours.

So I assume you have some kind of freedom also in the second half also.

Based on what he's said before (you can go to all areas before final boss etc) I guess it's more about the story progression instead of freedom to move around.
In the beginning it's "go here and there, do that and that stuff" to progress with the story, and in he later parts you get funneled to a tighter storyline.

Witcher 3 kind of did that too, things got a lot tighter after the
Kaer Morhen battle

Xemnas89

Seems like the reverse of how it usually works. I feel like for most Final Fantasy games the first half or so is more linear and then it opens up later on.

I read that as more the first half of the game is less structured/guided, leaving you to accomplish things as you choose, then it becomes more go here, do this, go there do that, but still around the open world. If it zaps you to a totally different linear area, then that's different. And pretty weird.

Seems like the reverse of how it usually works. I feel like for most Final Fantasy games the first half or so is more linear and then it opens up later on.

Same with Zelda games, too. You can only go so many places at first before the entire world opens up and you're free to do whatever like find heart pieces.

Tyaren

I hope that doesn't mean the part of the Gamescom demo is the only part of the world with wide, open fields. I don't want to go back to corridors in the rest of the game...though on the other hand they might not be as much of an eyesore like the Leide desert and Duscae region are... :)

chefbags

Yeah I see this as linear being just the story based missions and not the whole open world side of it.

I'd say you're still able to explore around more but the story being for tight and focused which I think is a good thing.

Dark_castle

Tightened up for pacing or because they ran out of money?

I honestly don't care. At this point, I'd take linear over big but empty open world for XV. Just as long as there still are towns and side quests and backtracking, detour you could do, like older FF's in their beginning.

zakujanai

My understanding of this was that the second half is still open, but you're more directed by the story ramping up. I think that sounds ok as unfocused open world games lose my interest in about an hour.

redcrayon

Starting with the spectacle of open world then focusing on a tighter finish sounds pretty good to me, much better than the other way around. By the last part of an RPG I'm usually charging towards the finish line, cheered on by the urgency of the plot and fears of growing bored, anyway.

I've honestly been a little worried about the open world aspect, as it looks like-- and it could be just that they haven't shown much aside from this-- kind of deserty, barren places. I don't think it's all going to be like that, but if the story picks up and starts taking me through more interesting narrative beats and environments, fuck it.

Ennosuke

Not a bad thing, when you have a great story, I welcome it to be linear. I think that many open world games are not focused on the storytelling.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder whether this means that parts of the story might be non linear. The bioware way of doing things, where you get to collect 4 royal arms or summons in any order you like.

I can see them doing that after the Altissia part. I also expect the rest of the world to open up.

My understanding of this was that the second half is still open, but you're more directed by the story ramping up. I think that sounds ok as unfocused open world games lose my interest in about an hour.
If this is how it happens, can't be mad at that. Give u your freedom, toy around with the world then bam shit hits the fan and u gotta head to some very specific indoor or wherever locations

Tsunamo

Funny that they ended up doing a reverse FFXIII.

Hopefully it's not too linear and gives you some freedom to go back and explore, but i'll have to wait to see how it goes, i'm sure the execution will turnout alright.

PepperedHam

Typically get burnt out on open worlds no matter how fun they are so being able to eat that up for a bit and then have the game start shoving me down the story sounds cool.

How it'll be executed is another thing.

I'm playing FFXIII for the first time (
and enjoying it
), I'm about 5 hours in, and I can see how linearity could work. Is FFXIII too linear? Absolutely, but there is a good way to do it and I hope it's done for story reasons and not time constraints.

Sounds good. Obviously you will get the flying car late in the game, so the different places will probably continue to be accessible throughout the game.

Calm Mind

"We had this overly ambitious open world game at first but ran out of ideas on how best to make a worthwhile experience in that space so we went with what do best to and that is to disappoint our fans even further."

Top Bottom