• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV/Type-0 Live Stream Thread - Extended TGS Presentation (Over, archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is the poster was saying "You can play like the E3 trailer", and the translation Olivia put out suggests he actually said you CAN'T play like the E3 trailer, because it was a prototype etc. Just trying to be clear with the translations.

They're saying the reason fro no character switching is they decided it'd be too complicated & wanted to focus on one character control instead.
Well they confirmed that the E3 gameplay is in, and we never saw the character switching at E3 either.

I don;t care much about character switching either since Noctis can conjure up so many different swords but I'm wondering if the tps elements are gone now?

Well they confirmed that the E3 gameplay is in, and we never saw the character switching at E3 either.

You do realize half of this has been them explaining why things have changed since then? Shorter warps with the sword are gone, here's why. Character switching is gone, here's why. Manual Weapon switching is gone, here's why, and here's an explanation of the deck system that replaces it... etc.

I'm not saying it's bad - I'm one of the people who was mega apprehensive about KH-style combat and wanted something different, and so am rather happy - that's just what they're saying! They have conflicting trailers out there and are trying to set the record straight. A great deal of this has been saying you can't do much of what was shown at E3, things have changed. And that's okay! Games shift. I'm just glad it's coming.

Thoraxes

Can't wait for another FF game where you can manually control your party. It's been about over 10 years since then.

bummer, but perhaps understandable due to too many variables in context relative actions?...

They've had a lot of time to make it work.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
You choose the main weapon before the battle and everything else is just for show depending on what move you're using.

Is how they made it sound.

Go_Ly_Dow

The only reason I wanted character switching was for TPS mode with Prompto.

Would have been useless with the other characters.

raven777

Tabata: the base of KH movement from Versus time is still in the game.

But the battle system is XV's own, not KH or Type-0.

Koozek

Just out of curiosity, what did you guys wanting char switch expect? A different mechanic for every char, like TPS shooting for Prompto (what about the others, though?)?

Famassu

Lol at a person who directed a game with 14 playable characters saying making ~5-6 playable characters is somehow too complicated.

Well, there it its, you can jump, which was one of the major things that turned me off if that wasn't the case. I'm still disappointed it won't be like KH but I enjoyed the hell out of FFXII so if this is a more action type version of that then I'm in.

Nomura still going to come back like Domon with the Burning Gundam and crush the buildings with KH 3.

I dunno. This feels like a game they just need to get out there, make back their money from development ( if possible ), and forget about it. Just ... try and make it good, but just get it done and over with and then start from scratch with 16.

Forget trying to reinvent the damn wheel all the time and go back to what made you popular and rich in the first place. Cinematic battles, Summons, Tactical combat, ATB or fast FFX style queue based system, whatever. Its obvious these crazy battle systems are throwing wrenches in the wheels all the time. Happened with XII and XIII too.

DQ does not try to reinvent the wheel all the time and they still sell just as much as they always have.

Eggbok

Tabata: Weapon circling thing "phantom Sword" will be in the game.

idUnF7cxvkEZ9.gif

???

Just out of curiosity, what did you guys wanting char switch expect? A different mechanic for every char, like TPS shooting for Prompto (what about the others, though?)?

Yeah? Type-0 has 14 unique characters. Sure, it was fairly basic but it was a decently done.

Lol at a person who directed a game with 14 playable characters saying making ~5-6 playable characters is somehow too complicated.

How much time took Type-0?

Seems to me is just a matter of not having the luxury of time this time and having to release the damn game already.

Holykael1

Banned
I dunno. This feels like a game they just need to get out there, make back their money from development ( if possible ), and forget about it. Just ... try and make it good, but just get it done and over with and then start from scratch with 16.

Forget trying to reinvent the damn wheel all the time and go back to what made you popular and rich in the first place. Cinematic battles, Summons, Tactical combat, ATB or fast FFX style queue based system, whatever. Its obvious these crazy battle systems are throwing wrenches in the wheels all the time. Happened with XII and XIII too.

DQ does not try to reinvent the wheel all the time and they still sell just as much as they always have.

Hey Squeenix recycle the same shit over and over! What makes the Final Fantasy series so great to many is because it always changes things up in each installment, it's not a stale conservative series, get over it.

Pretty disappointing that you can't switch characters, might as well only have Noctis in the game and give him everyone's abilities and weapons smh

RyoonZ

Banned
Why is jump available? That's so unrealistic and doesn't fit the realistic of FFXV theme, I mean we can throw sword to teleport, jump is so redundant ughh...

Hystzen

I'm all for SE downgrading something's like one character etc instead of adding characters people never use (come on be honest in FF games you create 1 party then ignore rest characters most time) instead of it being flabby and underdeveloped

fedexpeon

Banned
Why do people want maincharacter switching anyway?
Majority of the time, the maincharacter is the best character to control due to skill sets and knowing that he will be in the plot and won't randomly leave your party.

And I hope you guys don't mean the stupid gimmick switching character to use a special skill gameplay eg: one character is able to break a wall, one can teleport over to a ledge.
Ughh, I hate that stuff since it delays the flow of combat and movement.

Just because there's less characters doesn't mean it's less complex.

FFXV is going for a significantly larger AI involvement of the party, looking at the trailer's various contextual tag-team action and stuff like Noctis being helped by his team when injured. Those aren't easy to do.

R-User!

They've had a lot of time to make it work.

This is true, but perhaps they felt they needed to "fast track" the game after the director switch, so they decided to omit something that they felt wouldn't be worth the time sink in their new time line plan?

Also, they may feel that for narrative purposes that placing the focus off of the main character would create a disconnect between the player and said character?

I'm open to their vision if the game is fun, the story is good, and I don't feel underwhelmed by the time I finish the game...

...we'll see, right?

Koozek

Yeah? Type-0 has 14 unique characters. Sure, it was fairly basic but it was a decently done.

Hmm, as I said I don't know what the technical reason could be as every char must have all the walking, jumping and battle animations, anyway. Maybe someone has an idea? maybe it's an artistic choice and they want you to relate to Noctis more.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Why do people want maincharacter switching anyway?
Majority of the time, the maincharacter is the best character to control due to skill sets and knowing that he will be in the plot and won't randomly leave your party.

And I hope you guys don't mean the stupid gimmick switching character to use a special skill gameplay eg: one character is able to break a wall, one can teleport over to a ledge.
Ughh, I hate that stuff since it delays the flow of combat and movement.

Because it creates the feeling of a party.
In XV you have Noctis' adventure instead and every other character just supports the player instead of being part of the party like in most other FF games.

Famassu

No, I didn't expect every character to play like a completely different game. More like Type-0 with its _14_ playable characters. The core gameplay would be the same, people just had different specialities. Prompto would have maybe played a little like 3rd Birthday, the others would just have been a bit more efficient at using the weapons Noctis can also use.

Like Lightning Returns?

Not really, in LR each button is a "skill", in XV is a "command", so you HOLD attack and Noctis will do a combo by itself or HOLD defend/gaurd and he will keep a defensive stance to avoid damage an attacks. There's also a button for magic, we know as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom