• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV/Type-0 Live Stream Thread - Extended TGS Presentation (Over, archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This presentation has really convinced me that Tabata is a very aware person, and he isn't just all talk when he says he cares about what fans are talking about and thinking about. This entire presentation is directly targeted towards everyone who has been talking about FFXV since TGS. I'm impressed with his honesty and passion.

The new Yoshida (as ARR director) the company needs.

duckroll

Well, seems quite different from Type-0, but definetly between the two games seems closer to Type-0.

Yes, I think that's obvious, but at the same time I think he doesn't want people bringing expectations from Type-0 into XV, mainly because Type-0 has 14 playable characters and XV has 1 playable character. It's understandable! Lol.

Honestly it looked boring to me.

Considering that we haven't even seen advanced level magic, strategic gambit set-ups, limit breaks and summons, I'd say what we've got is pretty good for FF.

We've come so far from "Press Attack to watch Squall/Leon run up to the enemy and slash!"

Famassu

How much time took Type-0?

Seems to me is just a matter of not having the luxury of time this time and having to release the damn game already.
Type-0 was developed largely in about 2-2,5 years. It wasn't worked on actively in 2006-2008 (mostly just Tabata, Nomura and Naora) and even the work that was done was largely scrapped as they moved the project to PSP. And then, in the middle of the game's development Tabata's team helped finish 3rd Birthday until late 2010, after which they put their full focus on Type-0.

This presentation has really convinced me that Tabata is a very aware person, and he isn't just all talk when he says he cares about what fans are talking about and thinking about. This entire presentation is directly targeted towards everyone who has been talking about FFXV since TGS. I'm impressed with his honesty and passion.

Seconded. This was a great little show, and given the relaxed, non-corporate-ish nature of it, it definitely felt very sincere.

Zhao_Yun

what meme?

e56.jpg

R-User!

Just out of curiosity, what did you guys wanting char switch expect? A different mechanic for every char, like TPS shooting for Prompto (what about the others, though?)?

FF1,2,3,5: Four characters on screen

FF4: 5 characters on screen

FF6: Four characters on screen, crap load of extra characters swappable

FF7: Three Characters on screen, change characters using menu

FF8: Three characters on screen, change characters using menu

FF9: Four characters on screen, change characters using menu

FF10: Three characters on screen; switchable to other three inactive (right?! its been a WHILE since I played X)

FF12: Three characters on screen; switchable to other two, or gambit based "auto-battle"

FF13: Three characters on screen; individual control of all, or auto-battle.

FF15: Four characters on screen; control of Noctis, but "auto-battle" of others(?)

I just want a fun, epic, memorable, and 11/10 Final Fantasy again.
But having four characters on screen again will be a nice return to the original 6 plus 9 GAMES!

sublimit

Banned
So far I think Tabata is doing a fantastic job on damage control in this Q&A. He's addressing various question head on and not evading anything. He really has cleared up a lot of concerns for better or for worse.

- He says that the E3 gameplay battle footage was playable, but an earlier version. I believe he said you can still play the game on that level, but it was showing off more advanced moves and so on. I think he said it was a prototype concept that they are working towards in development.

- With regards to the "hold button for awesome" comments, he says that the defensive stance drains MP, so you can't just hold the button forever and be invincible. There are also more technical aspects of evasion which are more advanced. For attacking, you hold the button for basic combos, but there are also advanced action aspects with regards to timing and attacking in certain directions, or influenced by equipment.

- He confirms you can jump in the game. The battle system in FFXV is Active Cross Battle (AXB), and Noctis is the only playable character. You control Noctis because the entire battle system is built around him and how the other party members interact with him.

- He also talks about the the weapon switching too. Instead of active weapon switching during combat, it uses player settings prepared in advance. This is likely part of the gambit-like system he talked about before. The weapon used is automatic based on the conditions, but it sounds like the player has control over how those conditions are determined.

The new video was pretty good too. The game is still pretty far away, but I think he's making serious efforts to address concerns and get people excited for the game. It's really good PR compared to the normal stuff from S-E.

Yup,everything sounds good to me.

Ceravic

Pretty much all good on my end. I wanted jumping in and confirmation that the battle system was more complex than he was making it sound in those interviews. Character switching would be nice but it isn't a necessity for me since I usually control the main character the whole time (even Vaan, unfortunately). Bring on the hype train. Next I want to see how vast the world really ends up being and how towns work.

So far I think Tabata is doing a fantastic job on damage control in this Q&A. He's addressing various question head on and not evading anything. He really has cleared up a lot of concerns for better or for worse.

- He says that the E3 gameplay battle footage was playable, but an earlier version. I believe he said you can still play the game on that level, but it was showing off more advanced moves and so on. I think he said it was a prototype concept that they are working towards in development.

- With regards to the "hold button for awesome" comments, he says that the defensive stance drains MP, so you can't just hold the button forever and be invincible. There are also more technical aspects of evasion which are more advanced. For attacking, you hold the button for basic combos, but there are also advanced action aspects with regards to timing and attacking in certain directions, or influenced by equipment.

- He confirms you can jump in the game. The battle system in FFXV is Active Cross Battle (AXB), and Noctis is the only playable character. You control Noctis because the entire battle system is built around him and how the other party members interact with him.

- He also talks about the the weapon switching too. Instead of active weapon switching during combat, it uses player settings prepared in advance. This is likely part of the gambit-like system he talked about before. The weapon used is automatic based on the conditions, but it sounds like the player has control over how those conditions are determined.

The new video was pretty good too. The game is still pretty far away, but I think he's making serious efforts to address concerns and get people excited for the game. It's really good PR compared to the normal stuff from S-E.

Thanks for the writeup, I wasn't as concerned as some folk about the changes but it's nice to know that the depth is going to be there.

Didn't they say that there will be a subbed version of this?

Don't rewatch that yet then.

Also, game is looking pretty sick. I honest wouldn't change characters, why pick someone with only one weapon if Noctis has all of them? Prompto is the only one and I hate shooting, so I'm fine.

But, jumping is in, what about double jumps?

ConceptX

Didn't they say that there will be a subbed version of this?

Don't rewatch that yet then.

Also, game is looking pretty sick. I honest wouldn't change characters, why pick someone with only one weapon if Noctis has all of them? Prompto is the only one and I hate shooting, so I'm fine.

But, jumping is in, what about double jumps?

This is very true, we may not have character switching, but we also aren't at a disadvantage without it.

I'm fine with it tbh.

zeromcd73

I'm really surprised at the meme and why they suck at giving out information question. Never thought SE would laugh at themselves like that and it was awesome.

Koozek

FF1,2,3,5: Four characters on screen

FF4: 5 characters on screen

FF6: Four characters on screen, crap load of extra characters swappable

FF7: Three Characters on screen, change characters using menu

FF8: Three characters on screen, change characters using menu

FF9: Four characters on screen, change characters using menu

FF10: Three characters on screen; switchable to other three inactive (right?! its been a WHILE since I played X)

FF12: Three characters on screen; switchable to other two, or gambit based "auto-battle"

FF13: Three characters on screen; individual control of all, or auto-battle.

FF15: Four characters on screen; control of Noctis, but "auto-battle" of others(?)

I just want a fun, epic, memorable, and 11/10 Final Fantasy again.
But having four characters on screen again will be a nice return to the original 6 plus 9 GAMES!

I played every FF, I know. I wanted to know what you expected in this game as you could see Prompto having a TPS mechanic in the 2011 Versus trailer and I was wondering if people expected 5 different battle mechanics^^
---

Man, Tabata is a great guy. Very open and laid-back, like Yoshida. Seems like he has fun doing his job and is actually confident and proud to show it off, finally.

so the videos are uploaded but they're private?

i smell a leak

No, the video is on his iPad. What's shown are all the videos available on his device, but he only showed the new combat teaser.

He's basically teasing "I have two other FFXV videos... THAT I AIN'T SHARING TODAY!"

duckroll

The Dengeki article doesn't actually seem to be the full transcript, but it's pretty detailed for the parts it does cover. It explains more about the weapon system too. Tabata says that out of all your equipped weapons, you flag one of them as your "main" weapon. That allows you to use special attacks for that weapon. There's a manual special attack button which is different from the basic attack button.

Kikujiro

Wow, I can't believe they delivered, I mean they answered all the big questions of the last week, they even laughed at themselves.
This new S-E is great, I really hope the monthly updates are going to be real.

Famassu

I'm aware of that. My point is that you front need character switching for a game to be enjoyable and that people need to hold their judgement for the final product.

Do you look at someone painting and say midway through their work "OMG, that line is too thick! Ughhhhh this color is wrong! This is horrible! This needs more blah blah blah"

Wait for the finished product.
The thing is, yeah, this might be fun, but it's unarguable that manual weapon switch & 5 playable characters could've brought more variation & opened up the combat system even more. The knowledge will always be there that this game was designed as a game with multiple playable characters at some point in its history. Only controlling Noctis WILL feel limited, even if it's really fun, whereas Kingdom Hearts was always planned & designed as a game with only one controllable character. And it's not like people don't complain about KH not letting you control anyone else but Sora all the time, no matter how much fun it's with one character only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom