• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 12 first bullshot

mufraka

Neo Member
sneaky77 said:
yeah chip shots are fixed in fifa 11, compared to 10.

They need to fix the stupid automated lobbed thru balls, they are always perfect and they break the defense AI..

Actually they should remove auto controls completely and make semi the default. Is automated enough
I agree with this. Lofted through balls are definitely too powerful in FIFA 11. Anyone who played a lot of online games would tell you the same thing.

One wish I doubt EA would take the risk to make true is removing the pressure button and/or the auto-tackle. Constant high pressure has been a problem that many people aren't happy with in online play, and there needs to be more skill involved in knowing how or when to tackle to win the ball.

liger05

1. proper footplanting and less players skating on the pitch.
2. Take away holding x and running into players to tackle.
3. Improve the collission system, make it more balanced.
4. Players using there weaker foot should result in more error.
5. Have the stats make a real difference.
6. Get rid of the fully assisted control option.
7. Take away the ability to press non stop or if keep it in have a fatigue system that actually works.
8. Career mode has to be more immersive

adelante

Bungieware said:
8. Ability to sprint at different speeds depending on the pressure you apply to the trigger.
Haven't tried it myself but I'm pretty sure they added in analog speed (trigger) in FIFA11

Anyway, I doubt they'll ever remove full-assist controls; they have to cater to the casuals that make up a huge portion of the fanbase. But (I've mentioned this once in the official forums, bears repeating here) high difficulty and accessibility doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. You can build a game that's easy for casuals to pick and play, but at the same time implement a wealth of simulation options for hardcore players to turn on (and reward them for doing so). Other devs have done this for many years with popular sim racing games and last I check, GranTurismo series didn't have any problem appealing to an audience of millions (despite being known to many as a hardcore racing sim).

This is where gameplay sliders come in. And again, they should really start implementing a penalty/reward system depending on the amount of control assists, team rating, etc.

brentech

Anyone else get the new EGM (june 2011) with the article on Fifa12 and the all new engine? Actually kind of interesting. Apparently player wear is going to be a much larger issue, such as taking a few knee knocks will make you susceptible to getting injured when trying to over-extend to get/keep the ball.

Fairly short article, about 1 and half of pages of actual readable content and a bunch of images.

Messi

brentech said:
Anyone else get the new EGM (june 2011) with the article on Fifa12 and the all new engine? Actually kind of interesting. Apparently player wear is going to be a much larger issue, such as taking a few knee knocks will make you susceptible to getting injured when trying to over-extend to get/keep the ball.

Fairly short article, about 1 and half of pages of actual readable content and a bunch of images.

How does the game look? And who were the shots of?

WJD

The offline defence needs fixing. The constant pressure and laser-targeted tackling is not only irritating, it's incredibly unrealistic and still leads to scoring very similar goals time and time again.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really enjoyed FIFA 09. Kind of hated FIFA 10. Liked World Cup. Didn't try FIFA 11. Don't know what I'll do here.

brentech

Zep said:
Yea. I bet.
Just going off what is stated early in the article. "Rather than tell you what we're polishing, we're coming out a bit more aggressive on revolution than evolution," lead producer David Rutter declares as he prepare s to show ff a first look.....
...[continued]Instead, this is a year for a whole new engine."

It then goes on to say how it's not ready for outsiders to play, but they were allowed to watch. And that Rutter assured them that what is to be seen is the first major overhaul in the franchise in several years.

The article talks about real game instances being shown to them about specific players or happenings on the field, and how they want to make it possible within the game.
Also changing the control over defenders, as they refer to defending in the recent games as "heat-seeking missiles." They plan to change it to a full choice over how close your defender should get and if they should be working angles to cut off the play from off-the-ball runners.
Seems most the physics engine changes are more on how players making contact effects them both in the moment and later in the game. Says the game understands anatomy and joint torque, as as they get worn they're more likely to pull muscles and such.

In terms of how it looks, I assume almost all of the photos are from replay mode with just one being a normal pitch view. Nothing to over the top changed, but the article says they plan to do more complete scans or more players than in the past games.

Also states that players should have a sort of perception cone (the way I read it, it won't actually show up in the game like the Madden QB-cone, but will run behind the scenes in much the same way). They also want the AI to take height/weight match-ups in to consideration. Send headers in when there is a distinct advantage to doing so. Things of that nature.

omgkitty

I have another gripe with player transfers. This whole "Just transferred to a new team" stuff is crap! I have seen players be on a squad for 2 or 3 years and this still happen. The same happens if a player returns from loan. This has to be a glitch.
Also, If I buy a player, I should be able to immediately loan him out if I want to. I hate buying a player and I am not allowed to do anything with him for the entire season. It makes buying young players pointless if they aren't going to start.
They also need to fix the progression of younger players. I haven't played enough seasons to see what actually happens over a long time, but my younger players never get better. I will loan them out for 3 or 4 seasons in a row and they never get better whether they play for the other team or not. Players should get better automatically especially if they are younger and have a high potential rating.
Man I love FIFA and will keep buying them, but every year there is so much stuff that pisses me off!

Edit: I would also love to see the GK's make more GK-like mistakes. Like if a player runs into the keeper while he's jumping for a ball, it's not going to be an automatic catch. Look at Arsenal's GK's. I want to see them fumble the ball more. They sure do it in real life! (I'm an Arsenal fan) I would also like to see players slide into the keeper if he's diving for a ball. If you do it in 11, it's like the GK is invisible or something. In real life you have a chance to get the ball, but it could also be a card offense. I just think the GK's have always been either too good or too bad. Throw some realism in there!

brentech

Messi said:
How does the game look? And who were the shots of?
Small shot of Pepe Reina dropping on the ball.
Two of Barcelona readying a wall against a free kick.
And then a small and a very large shot of Arsenal/Chelsea....the large showing Jack Wilshere between John Terry and Drogba. (it's a 'hotspot' photo where they point out certain changes.)

Menelaus

Banned
It really cracks me up how much griping there is about FIFA 11. Having played just about every popular sports game on the market last year, I can safely say that FIFA 11 was hands down the most realistic and advanced sports game ever made.

The animations are amazing. The way it plays compared to the real deal is amazing. The ball physics are amazing. There has never been a game that captured its sport like FIFA 11.

Are there ways to improve it? Absolutely.

Messi

brentech said:
Small shot of Pepe Reina dropping on the ball.
Two of Barcelona readying a wall against a free kick.
And then a small and a very large shot of Arsenal/Chelsea....the large showing Jack Wilshere between John Terry and Drogba. (it's a 'hotspot' photo where they point out certain changes.)

Damn now I need to see the barca pictures. Thanks for telling us brentech.

Jags

Neo Member
I want them to stop bullshitting and admit that Momentum was in Fifa 11 and then to get rid of it in Fifa 12.

It'd be nice to see FIFA incorporate more metagame aspects. For instance, I think it'd be great if you could move the wall during the buildup to the free kick as a keeper might, eying up the line of sight with the post, but doing so might also leave him out of position for the opponent to quickly knock one in. I'd also like to see wall creeping forward to cut down the space a bit. The longer the free kick takes, the less space the taker will have to go up and over.

Also, quick corners to match free kicks.

Menelaus

Banned
quick corners would require a huge retool of the AI. the whole reason there's a loading screen is so they can set the players in their required starting positions.

WJD said:
The offline defence needs fixing. The constant pressure and laser-targeted tackling is not only irritating, it's incredibly unrealistic and still leads to scoring very similar goals time and time again.

Honestly the constant pressure is a joke and has been a problem since for like 3/4 years now. If EA developed a real fatigue system it wouldnt be so bad as the pressure whores would find their players getting tired so you could eventually pass and run past them.

EA need to stop making a game for everyone to play and instead listen to the hardcore sim gamers and make it more realistic. The casuals will still buy it and will learn to play better.

brentech

Menelaus said:
quick corners would require a huge retool of the AI. the whole reason there's a loading screen is so they can set the players in their required starting positions.
Possible that it's going to be in Fifa 12.

From a previous interview:

Rutter also revealed that set pieces are getting a complete overhaul, and that EA isn’t happy with interruptive in-game loading screens.
"Set-pieces are still a bit lame, he candidly admitted. I get frustrated by not being able to do quick throw-ins, not being able to quickly select my free-kick takers, on the fly stuff. We’re somewhat last-gen in the way the game cuts [before those things]."

As as to your previous comment, I totally agree. Right now, Fifa11 is by far the most on key sports game available. It gets a lot of it right, just needs some tweaks. Kind of nervous for a new engine, but hopefully the realize what they had was a good foundation.

Someone on a Newcastle United forum said the entire Newcastle United squad will be fully 'mapped' and their faces appearing in the game. haha nice.

brentech

Chriswok said:
Someone on a Newcastle United forum said the entire Newcastle United squad will be fully 'mapped' and their faces appearing in the game. haha nice.
Hrm, the EGM article states that Fifa 11 had 137 superstar players captured with face scanning. Says they plan to have over 200 in Fifa12.
Not sure if they do any full squads by that estimation.

Zep

Banned
brentech said:
As as to your previous comment, I totally agree. Right now, Fifa11 is by far the most on key sports game available. It gets a lot of it right, just needs some tweaks. Kind of nervous for a new engine, but hopefully the realize what they had was a good foundation.

So why not adopt a MLB2k11/MLB11 realtime style where there are no more cutscenes? So while teams are setting up a wall or ball is being retrieved for a throw in, you select who you want to do certain actions. And on top of that, have a list of set-pieces to start as soon as play begins once again. That would be pretty awesome.

PedroRVD

If a team has a bad rating it doesnt mean their players have to be slow.

When will a soccer game correct this?

Why it should always be "better team -> faster players"??

I'm from Ecuador, I know we are not the best team in the world but physical power is top notch in our team...but, I choose Ecuador and the players move like turtles.

I also want better replays. It is the ONLY feature where PES destroys FIFA, replays in FIFA are horrible, you can never see a full team play...mostly you can see only the last kick, which is stupid.

Better tutorials...just like in PES, make us learn and practice each and every move in the game. FIFA has sooo many moves and things to do in a match but I am sure 95% of us dont know everything that is doable in the game. And I consider myself a veteran player.

And...

PLEASE....

Let our Virtual PRO stats carry over to the new game.

Thank you very much.

Arnie

Ok I've just thought of a great feature they should implement.

In everyone's online profile there should be a trophy cabinet. You should win trophies based on your performances in online head to head matchups. For example, the average win percentage to win the Barclays Premier League in a season is about 80%. So the game should track your last 38 online matches against Premier League opponents and should you ever reach a 80% win ratio within this 38 game period a virtual Premier League trophy should be added to your cabinet.

The same could be done for different leagues and even teams based in the Champions League. For example, before a Chelsea V Real Madrid matchup the system could notify you of it being the final of the Champions League theoretically and that adds extra pressure to the match. Obviously it's all virtual and the opponent is none the wiser, but it certainly spices up each match if you have something to play for.

MMaRsu

Banned
AstroLad said:
I love it, but I think it's going to be really hard to play from that angle. Camera also seems way too zoomed in. Hope that's not the default view, as nice as it looks.

What are you new to soccer games or something? Because ofcourse that's not how you play it, that would be seriously stupid.

Foob

MMaRsu said:
What are you new to soccer games or something? Because ofcourse that's not how you play it, that would be seriously stupid.
sounds like you don't play the game right

Fixed1979

MMaRsu has been here far too long not to know better. I'm really confused what happened in those last couple post.

Anyhoo, played the shit out of 10 and really enjoyed it. Will consider 12, I don't know enough about soccer for the things most people have been complaining about to bother me.

First infos from the French OPM (translated at FIFA-Fuma):

• FIFA 12 introduces the 'Impact Engine' which properly tracks and formulates contact between players, including their hips, knees etc.
  • The AI will also keep track of areas of the body players have been injured during a match. Players can also become injured off the ball if abused too much, especially late in the game.
  • FIFA 12 also introduces 'AI Vision Game' (rough translation), which promises to make passing more realistic. If you try to complete a pass to a player that's not within visible range, for example, it's less likely you'll complete the pass. EA hopes this will get rid of "blind passing".
  • Personality Plus is more developed and should influence AI players' passes this time.
  • AI is said to be "more human", with each player acting more or less according to his abilities. One example given is when an AI player sees Fabregas coming towards him with the ball, he'll act more carefully.
  • OPM describes "new presentation" of matches in FIFA 12, which are said to be very much inspired by English football crowds.
  • The game includes three new arenas, this time with integrated benches along the sidelines and "impressive lighting effects" according to OPM France.
  • Integration of a new short dribble with the left stick.
  • The game features a new camera that's noticeably closer to the ground.
  • There's also a new menu interface that appears to be simpler and more ergonomic than before.

Arnie

Like everything I'm hearing so far, especially the comments about atmosphere. I want Liverpool versus Everton to be a significantly different atmosphere to Liverpool versus Birmingham. The passing thing sounds neat too.

I'm liking the AI vision thing. Good idea I think. Passing with eyes in the back of your head is too easy. I like the margin of error stuff they add into it.

FIFA 12 introduces the 'Impact Engine' which properly tracks and formulates contact between players, including their hips, knees etc.
The AI will also keep track of areas of the body players have been injured during a match. Players can also become injured off the ball if abused too much, especially late in the game.
FIFA 12 also introduces 'AI Vision Game' (rough translation), which promises to make passing more realistic. If you try to complete a pass to a player that's not within visible range, for example, it's less likely you'll complete the pass. EA hopes this will get rid of "blind passing".
Personality Plus is more developed and should influence AI players' passes this time.
AI is said to be "more human", with each player acting more or less according to his abilities. One example given is when an AI player sees Fabregas coming towards him with the ball, he'll act more carefully.
OPM describes "new presentation" of matches in FIFA 12, which are said to be very much inspired by English football crowds.
The game includes three new arenas, this time with integrated benches along the sidelines and "impressive lighting effects" according to OPM France.
Integration of a new short dribble with the left stick.
The game features a new camera that's noticeably closer to the ground.
There's also a new menu interface that appears to be simpler and more ergonomic than before.

Still waiting to hear about 2 vs 2

New menus at last, but three new stadiums?!? They have a year and all they can manage to make is three stadiums? Fucking ridiculous. The stadium list for Fifa 08 on PS2 almost 4 years ago:

England

Anfield (Liverpool)
Emirates Stadium (Arsenal)
St. James' Park (Newcastle United)
Old Trafford (Manchester United)
Stamford Bridge (Chelsea)
Wembley Stadium
White Hart Lane (Tottenham)
Highbury (Arsenal)

France

Parc des Princes (Paris Saint-Germain)
Stade Gerland (Lyon)
Stade Velodrome (Marseille)
Stade Felix Bollaert (Lens)

Italy

Stadio delle Alpi (Juventus)
Stadio Olimpico (Roma, Lazio)
Stadio San Siro (Milan, Internazionale)

Mexico

Estadio Azteca (Club América)
Estadio Jalisco (Guadalajara, Atlas)

Germany

Allianz Arena (Bayern Munich, 1860 Munich)
Signal Iduna Park (Borussia Dortmund)
HSH Nordbank Arena (Hamburg)
Olympiastadion (Hertha Berlin)
BayArena (Bayer Leverkusen)
Veltins Arena (Schalke 04)
Commerzbank-Arena (Eintracht Frankfurt)
AWD-Arena (Hannover 96)
Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadion (Stuttgart)

Netherlands

Amsterdam Arena (Ajax)

Portugal

Estádio da Luz (Benfica)
Estádio do Bessa (Boavista)
Estádio do Dragão (Porto)
Estádio José Alvalade (Sporting CP)

South Korea

Daegu Sports Complex (Daegu FC)
Seoul World Cup Stadium (FC Seoul)

Spain

Estadio Mestalla (Valencia)
Estadio Vicente Calderón (Atlético Madrid)
Camp Nou (FC Barcelona)

USA

The Home Depot Center

Wales

Millennium Stadium

Generic stadiums

Div1 Euro Style
Div2 Euro Style
Div3 Euro Style
Div1 UK Style
Div2 UK Style
Div3 UK Style
Generic Modern
Modern Euro
Modern South America
Estadio de las Artes
Closed Square Style
Open Square Style
Oval Style

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I don't see why that has to be a bullshot. Modern PCs can easily do that sort of thing.

sixghost

They really need to fix the physics behind headers. It's hilarious to play as Everton, stick Cahill/Saha up front, then just cross balls into them the entire game. The ball literally explodes off their head half the time. Players with Power Header are basically broken.

Also, I really wish they would fix just about everything that has to do with fast breaks/smashed crosses on the ground. I don't know why the AI is so awful when it comes to this, but AI controlled teammates never make any effort to find open space. They just continue running in a straight line, and you just have to pray they are a step or two ahead of their defender. Combine that with your center mids never making delayed runs into the box, and that entire aspect of the game just sucks.

The way players pass inside the box is a disgrace. 90% of the time it just gets rolled directly to the goalie instead of putting some actual pace on the ball. In fact, passing power in general on auto/semi is just flat wrong. So often the ball gets underhit, I really shouldn't have to switch to manual passing just to have players pass the ball effectively.

PaulLFC

Arnie said:
Like everything I'm hearing so far, especially the comments about atmosphere. I want Liverpool versus Everton to be a significantly different atmosphere to Liverpool versus Birmingham. The passing thing sounds neat too.

This would be great - it's something football games have never really captured so far. If a team's playing one of its rivals at home, the atmosphere should be a lot louder and more hostile than for just a "normal" league match.

Progress in competitions should mean something in terms of crowd noise too. Chances are a qualifier or group stage game isn't going to produce as much excitement as the home leg of a semi-final which could mean a place in the final and chance of silverware.

It could even be taken further, and tied to players and their circumstances / achievements. It won't happen, but for example when Suarez signed, every time he touched the ball on his debut, the anticipation was there - would he score in his first game for the club? Imagine if games reflected this sort of atmosphere, it'd be much more realistic.

sneaky77

Their PR always sounds great... and it has taken great strides this gen. But as always caution optimistic.. a lot of stuff sounded good last yr, but with their all assisted possibilities, none of it really makes a difference if everyone only plays all assists on they don't have to bother learning the game, just how to exploit it.

Also, I think there are plenty stadiums, I wish my home team stadium would be on there cause its one of the oldest in Spain and has a lot of history, but it is what it is..

Licensing ain't easy when you have to do on a stadium by stadium basis.

Arnie

Going to repost the brainwave I had last night whilst people are discussing Fifa in this thread.

me said:
Ok I've just thought of a great feature they should implement.

In everyone's online profile there should be a trophy cabinet. You should win trophies based on your performances in online head to head matchups. For example, the average win percentage to win the Barclays Premier League in a season is about 80%. So the game should track your last 38 online matches against Premier League opponents and should you ever reach a 80% win ratio within this 38 game period a virtual Premier League trophy should be added to your cabinet.

The same could be done for different leagues and even teams based in the Champions League. For example, before a Chelsea V Real Madrid matchup the system could notify you of it being the final of the Champions League theoretically and that adds extra pressure to the match. Obviously it's all virtual and the opponent is none the wiser, but it certainly spices up each match if you have something to play for.

MMaRsu

Banned
Fixed1979 said:
MMaRsu has been here far too long not to know better. I'm really confused what happened in those last couple post.

Anyhoo, played the shit out of 10 and really enjoyed it. Will consider 12, I don't know enough about soccer for the things most people have been complaining about to bother me.

I was making a joke, hoping that someone would treat my post as serious.

Wouldn't little touches in FIFA be nice. Like, when a team is promoted in career mode, their sleeve badges, numbers and lettering change to the current division they're in.

Yerolo

fifa 07: shit
Fifa 08: ok
fifa 09: awesome
fifa 10: awesome
fifa 11: shit

I will probably trade in my copy of fifa 11 to get fifa 12

Also, can Sony please allow an install to HDD option for the PS3 this time ? The load times were atrocious in fifa 11 compared to the hdd installed x360 version

dc89

They need to add the City of Manchester Stadium.

Maybe not as prestigious as some of the other grounds like OT and Anfield etc but it's a damn sight prettier.

Top Bottom