• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 12 (Wii) vs FIFA 13 (Wii) - Besides transfers and kits, it's the same game

A.E Suggs

Well it is the wii version so its probably not going to be a big deal. Not like people are going to be buying it for the wii.

I've never really thought about this I guess. I'm on a 2 year cycle with NBA 2K and a 3-4 year with NCAA and Madden, and I just have a hard time believing people are buying yearly for a roster update and new uniforms. But I suppose there are people, ok I guess most people (forget how much of a nerd I am sometimes) who don't even see trailers or gameplay or impressions of games before they buy them. Some poor souls are going to be picking this game up on Wii even though they already have FIFA 12, just because they enjoy the series.

If you put the insane hours into it that many people do (myself included in the past) it makes more sense. Not so much the kits, but the new rosters and ratings, and of course the baby step improvements. It may look like small upgrades but when you play a lot they actually change the game a lot.

Everyone knows it's lazy but the dollar-entertainment ratio makes the purchase much easier. But everyone wishes you could just get an online roster update.

Edit: And sports gamers are a huge driving force of the gaming industry that are underrepresented on forums like NeoGAF. Luckily everyone plays on the 360/PS3 for the most part (my PS3 is basically a FIFA machine), still really shitty of EA to do this though.

Sou

You guys might think EA is lazy, but at least they updated the transfers and kits unlike another football game on the market....

Bog

Junior Ace
Why's this surprising after the copy/paste job they did with Madden 13 on the Vita? They were so lazy that they didn't even change the team records when you select a Franchise (it shows their 2010 record rather than their 2011 record).

DiscoJer

The vast majority of PSP sports games have been just roster updates for the last few years, including those from Sony. Heck, in some cases, things like online play and PS2 connectivity were removed in later releases (PS2 part understandable, online isn't).

I'm afraid the Wii and probably the Vita are following that. There's one tier they try on (right now the PS3/360), and the others they half ass

As I said in NBA thread: I rather pay for a small fee or DLC and receive roster update.

This is ridiculous in every way and the only thing that can or should be done is stop buying it. Don't support them.

PaulLFC

Well it is the wii version so its probably not going to be a big deal. Not like people are going to be buying it for the wii.
Some people will, and those people will have been ripped off.

You guys might think EA is lazy, but at least they updated the transfers and kits unlike another football game on the market....
If you're referring to PES, they decided to focus on gameplay improvements, so they actually bothered to change the game rather than copy and paste it from last year. They also had a day 1 kit update along with 20 new stadiums for free - if it was EA that probably would have been paid DLC.

Shaneus

well they canceled nba live 13. something must be up with their sports division.
Yeah, because there was no NBA Live 12. They're fucked now, because without a 13, there won't be a 14 next year... and so on.

Oh Peter Moore, you used to be cool (I think).

If you're referring to PES, they decided to focus on gameplay improvements, so they actually bothered to change the game rather than copy and paste it from last year. They also had a day 1 kit update along with 20 new stadiums for free - if it was EA that probably would have been paid DLC.

Uh they don't even have the licenses for those kits or stadiums, and EA doesn't charge those for free or else FIFA would have their heads.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Yep, I thought this would be the situation on vita. I really wanted to get my handheld football fix and tried to look up the FIFA 13 previews, i didn't find a scrap of information. EA did not allow any coverage or previews at all, the only thing available was a few videos from an Italian guy who managed to get an early copy. A disgusting practise, I feel very sorry for the people who bought 13 on anything but the main platforms.

MikeRox

Bit gutting, but understandable really (for Vita at least) I mean the first one only came out like 7 months ago in the main market. I didn't buy the first Vita release, I'll probably get FIFA 13 because I've heard the frame rate has been improved, and my team (Huddersfield Town) have been promoted so the simple roster update gets me there!

Certainly won't be paying £45 for it though.

Takao

Banned
CVG:

According to posters on the official FIFA forums, the handheld version of FIFA 13 includes no significant differences from February's FIFA Football, itself based on FIFA 11 gameplay.

The similarity between the two versions has so far caused earlier adopters to spam the game's Metacritic page, with more than eleven 0/10 user reviews dragging its user score down to 4.2. Users on Amazon have also posted negative reviews.

Most frustration seems to be aimed at the lack of real pre-release information on the Vita version, which is up for purchase on PSN now for £39.99.

CVG has not yet received FIFA 13 PS Vita and can't confirm the reports, but you can see a portion of the game in action via the below YouTube fan video:

The Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of FIFA 13 have received excellent reviews, with CVG awarding it 91 in our FIFA 13 review.

acm2000

Why bother spending money deving a version that's gonna sell 4 copies? Not saying its right, but, we all would do the same in ea's situation

Xater

Wii U?

Uuuuh, you know that versions going to be a watered down FIFA 12, right?

Wait what? I thought it would be identical to the PS3/360 version just with the Gamepad stuff added.

It also blows my mind that the Vita version is not just identical to the console games but with scaled down graphics.

PaulLFC

Uh they don't even have the licenses for those kits or stadiums, and EA doesn't charge those for free or else FIFA would have their heads.
Since EA doesn't have them, how do you know they wouldn't charge? They sell courses in Tiger Woods, don't see PGA complaining.

They're not exclusive licenses.

Konami just can't afford it with their terrible sales. They're already handing their money to UEFA.
The Premier League is an exclusive licence.

As I said in NBA thread: I rather pay for a small fee or DLC and receive roster update.

This is ridiculous in every way and the only thing that can or should be done is stop buying it. Don't support them.
Exactly the way I see it. All they've done is update the kits and some of the transfers, they should have released this as DLC, either for free or a small amount, certainly not £40+.

IGN UK chimes in

Title: Don't Buy FIFA 13 on Wii or Vita

This isn’t negligence. In order to bring reviews to you, our readers, in a timely fashion, we’re lucky enough to receive review copies weeks in advance. But this didn’t happen with either the Wii or Vita versions of FIFA 13. When we politely enquired, EA told us that copies were in short supply, or that they hadn’t received additional promotional copies from Sony, and when we asked again, they even dodged our requests by employing the ingenious tactic of ignoring us.

We contacted EA about this situation but it wouldn’t go into specifics, providing the following statement:

“FIFA 13 on PS VITA features 30 leagues, 500 officially licensed teams and 15,000 players all wearing this year’s kits and playing for their current teams. It is the same great FIFA gameplay for the PS VITA, including touch-screen controls, and also features popular modes like Career Mode, Be A Pro, and a deep set of online features. We felt it was important to continue to offer fans the opportunity to play an authentic football experience on PS VITA.”

It doesn’t talk about any specific gameplay innovations, focussing on the number of teams and “this year’s kits” and “current team”. It stresses how up-to-date the game is but the gameplay is anything but. ‘Popular’ modes are championed instead of new ones. There isn’t much different from the bullet points on the back of last year’s box, which boasted about “more than 500 officially licensed clubs” and “unique touch-screen controls”.

It’s so easy to imagine how all of this could have been avoided: don’t release a full-priced retail game, release the latest kits as shrewdly-priced DLC instead. While this might not be feasible with the Wii version, FIFA Football could have been updated in this way. If EA was only really interested in updating the squads and kits, surely this was the easiest and safest way of providing this type of update?

As it stands, EA is selling last year's game with some new skins and a new title to customers on Wii and Vita without properly explaining it. The publisher has also tried to dodge the inevitable controversy by failing to provide reviewers with copies of the game on these platforms. This is absolutely not acceptable practice, and it could easily be construed as lying to customers. If you're thinking about buying FIFA 13 on Wii or Vita, don't let yourself be duped.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/12/fifa-13-ea-sells-old-games-as-new

Yopis

Why's this surprising after the copy/paste job they did with Madden 13 on the Vita? They were so lazy that they didn't even change the team records when you select a Franchise (it shows their 2010 record rather than their 2011 record).

New patch fixes that and tons more. They tried atleast with post release support. Helped with stuttering also.

Why would IGN UK wait weeks afterwards to post this? What good does it do when the game came out weeks ago and unsuspecting people already bought it?

why would EA only send IGN review copies for 360/PC/PS3? funny how they left the Wii, PSV and 3DS for that matter @ home.

You notice over the last 6 months that the Wii, PSV and 3DS Fifa game had no previews anywhere.

EA knew they were gonna get some heat for the their lazy efforts.

Oersted

In the end of the day, EA is more interested in cash than customer interests. Sadly, it works. Fifa 13 is a bestselling game, both on Wii and Vita.

why would EA only send IGN review copies for 360/PC/PS3? funny how they left the Wii, PSV and 3DS for that matter @ home.

You notice over the last 6 months that the Wii, PSV and 3DS Fifa game had no previews anywhere.

EA knew they were gonna get some heat for the their lazy efforts.

Agreed. But with the buzz surrounding how shitty those versions were, you'd think IGN could have spent 40 bucks to download the Vita version, right? Or send a guy to the store to buy the Wii version?

I just don't buy the whole "They never sent us a copy so we're helpless!" thing. How convenient is it that IGN would wait to tell you not to buy a game weeks after its out?

Top Bottom