• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 13 - First screens & info

adelante

I feel your are penalized way too much if you miss a tackle, which means you won't risk it as often, which means it's easier for players to just walk the entire field and eventually find an opening.

I have no problems with the penalties.

The new defending system was just a means to get people off from relying on holding a button to perform homing-missile, kamikaze-style tackles. Manually jockeying/tackling + Teammate Press was the best way to defend imho, never needed to touch that stupid contain button after assigning to RB. My wish is that they get rid of contain altogether for future FIFA games and allowing automated pressure only for cpu teammates.

liger05

If the AI and first touch has genuinely been improved based on stats then I will be happy but heard it before.

pakkit

Banned
guys, guys its only grass.

I don't know if I want it... Any AI improvements would be appreciated I guess. I HATE FIFA 12 on Pro level. Right when I think I've mastered it the opponents will go on a 4 game win streak and break my soul.

bwtw

Neo Member
I don't like that First Touch Control tidbit. I already think passing in FIFA 12 is a bit too messy. So many times you pass to the wrong guy and it's the game's fault, not yours. Now we're going to add in difficultly in receiving passes?

You know what I want? I want better control over characters who are receiving a pass. I HATE how it often locks you down and you can't run to a ball that's being played to you. Instead your player just waits for the ball to come, and it's often intercepted or by the time the ball gets there, the defender is already humping your hip. Let me come to the ball, or let me turn and run with it for a second before taking control. I can't believe that this would be so hard to implement.

You can do this already with super cancel can't you?

Yeah, that always happens when you are winning with a one goal difference against the CPU. Almost impossible to stop them.

tbf this is like real football - teams who lead are then relatively more likely to concede (compared to if they were drawing/losing), so you should be more up against it if you lead.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
IF you pick a one star team, the system will try to find another 1 star opponent.

that's not good enough imo. everyone should be the same in an online game.

Maybe if they used a sort of RPG style point system where everyone had a number of points they should put into their team to boost the different abilities that would be fine. Then people can choose to change their base team in a way that fits their play style style.

^^Now you're talking about Ultimate Team

Another thing, they need to normalize online teams.

The online play has been broken since its inception because everyone just picks one of the big 5. I should be able to pick the worst teams and still be competitive online.

That's how it works. But if no one else is playing as a 1 star team, you can't expect them to conjure one out of thin air.

The new defending system was just a means to get people off from relying on holding a button to perform homing-missile, kamikaze-style tackles. Manually jockeying/tackling + Teammate Press was the best way to defend imho, never needed to touch that stupid contain button after assigning to RB. My wish is that they get rid of contain altogether for future FIFA games and allowing automated pressure only for cpu teammates.

But the pressure feature was completely broken. playing online against players who just press that pressure button non stop was not enjoyable.

Unless EA can actually develop a realistic fatigue system then pressure has to go. History has shown that when it comes to fatigue, EA do not know how to get this right!

I don't like that First Touch Control tidbit. I already think passing in FIFA 12 is a bit too messy. So many times you pass to the wrong guy and it's the game's fault, not yours. Now we're going to add in difficultly in receiving passes?

do you play with assisted controls for passing? The only way your gonna pass exactly when you want is by using full manual controls.

EA should ditch them damn assisted controls for good!

The new first touch feature sound great in theory as it makes the game more realistic. not every player should be able to trap the ball like Messi!

If I hit a bullet pass to Dirk Kuyt for example the ball should be bouncing off his foot. The stats have to actually start meaning something once on the pitch!

Just hope EA dont do another FIFA 12 and throw in Legacy first touch mode so people can go back to the old ways because they find the game too difficult.

Ardenyal

There are a lot of things the developers don't announce or admit to have done, like the "momentum" thing, AI being amazing in the last minutes of the game and I believe (my opinion) there are stadiums where the ball plays faster in the game.

That is such an annoying thing. I play a lot of Fifa and NHL and in NHL the devs have said there is no momentum... There might not be momentum but there is a stat called "intimidation" which is basically the same thing :lol Playing as away team is always a huge chore.

Messi

Awesome needs a system where the CPU defends for him so he will stop leaking goals ALL THE TIME :p

I wish they would model every big team like they did with man city last year. If not please just do pedro and busquets

Awesome needs a system where the CPU defends for him so he will stop leaking goals ALL THE TIME :p

I wish they would model every big team like they did with man city last year. If not please just do pedro and busquets

It's not my fault my Irish defenders can't defend your Irish Strikers (if you can call them that). We need a rematch of the greatest Irish derby of all time soon.

elsk

Banned

They said they're doing 300+ teams this time. I don't believe them.

Btw, they're adding the Saudi Arabia league + 2 second division teams from the same country. I guess there is money involved.
And looks like the Czech and Turk leagues are back.

I hope they finally add the Argentina league, or at least one new latin america league.

adelante

But the pressure feature was completely broken. playing online against players who just press that pressure button non stop was not enjoyable.

Unless EA can actually develop a realistic fatigue system then pressure has to go.

True, but its definitely a step up from having tackles be automatic. As far as teammate press is concerned, they could actually have cpu players just covering passing lanes instead of rushing in to steal the ball. Have it be stats-dependent so that only players with aggressive traits automatically tackle?

elsk

Banned
True, but its definitely a step up from having tackles be automatic. As far as teammate press is concerned, they could actually have cpu players just covering passing lanes instead of rushing in to steal the ball. Have it be stats-dependent so that only players with aggressive traits automatically tackle?

Well, is kind of how it currently works. The best DM/CBs usually can even tackle on their own and there's an interceptions stat too.

if they could do that and make the stats more dependent then great but I have huge doubts EA could pull that off.

Haunted

I don't think I can get excited by yet another current generation update.

A next generation overhaul of the graphics engine is what the genre needs to get people hyped.

Every grass blade with its own physics or bust.

Can't find a video but here it is:
ncaa-football-12-grass-01-500x281.jpg
That is the kind of obvious graphical shit we need to improve on before we can talk about it being a realistic depiction of the sport.

Which one? Rooney or Kaka?
both obviously

Eh, that first touch feature sounds quite worrying.

Do not punish the player for trying to pass the ball around. Hopefully it's not what I think it means.

elsk

Banned
Stop overrating the players of the popular teams (RMadrid, Barcelona, Manchester United, etc) would be amazing too :/

One thing I love about FIFA is how the player stats are displayed. Very intuitive and you can make an idea of how the player is on just seconds.

Do not punish the player for trying to pass the ball around. Hopefully it's not what I think it means.

I think the idea is to punish the people who ping-pong the ball around. At least I hope.

Stop overrating the players of the popular teams (RMadrid, Barcelona, Manchester United, etc) would be amazing too :/

One thing I love about FIFA is how the player stats are displayed. Very intuitive and you can make an idea of how the player is on just seconds.

You left out Bayern in that list ;)

if it stops Bolton passing the ball around like they are Barcelona then this is a good thing.

The ping pong football has to go, it is unrealistic!

rvy

Banned

You gotta appeal to the majority of your userbase somehow. I still beat them online with Benfica though, so I'm alright. People who pick those teams usually don't know how to handle the CPU pressure while you cut the passing lines.

Portugeezer

First Touch Control
One of the first things to do at FIFA 13 was to implement a more realistic ball control.Now it will be more difficult to control a receiving ball with your player.It all depends on the strength, the speed, the ball height and the technical skills of your player to achieve the control of the ball and run with it.

Make the game even easier for all the Barcelona whores... Ugh.

Yeah. It's always funny how good players have decent ratings in lower teams, but then if a big team buys them they suddenly become world star players for no apparent reason.

Hmmm, I'll have to play the demo and see some footage on FIFA13 when the time comes. I didn't end up playing a lot of FIFA12 since my VP got erased pretty early and I gave up on it at that point. As always, the changes sound like they're good, but it hinges on how they feel in game.

Messi

They said they're doing 300+ teams this time. I don't believe them.

Btw, they're adding the Saudi Arabia league + 2 second division teams from the same country. I guess there is money involved.
And looks like the Czech and Turk leagues are back.

I hope they finally add the Argentina league, or at least one new latin america league.

I'll believe it when I see it. When you can't even fully model Barca,Real, man united and Chelsea it is worrying. I'll take those before 300+ teams

elsk

Banned
You left out Bayern in that list ;)

I'm obviously biased, but a lot of players (specially the defense, being the 2nd best one in Europe top leagues) are very underrated. Alaba is 75, Badstuber 80, Luiz Gustavo 80... Schweinsteiger is not longer a "complete midfielder" for some reason.

Gómez is hugely overrated. Robben and Ribéry are alright.

Yeah. It's always funny how good players have decent ratings in lower teams, but then if a big team buys them they suddenly become world star players for no apparent reason.

Exactly!

rvy

Banned
I'll believe it when I see it. When you can't even fully model Barca,Real, man united and Chelsea it is worrying. I'll take those before 300+ teams

Yeah, this too. I'd rather have quality > quantity. I understand the marketing value in ridiculous numbers, but more than half of the game's players and teams look like amateur shit. They can't even get simple stuff like kits and badges right at times.
And this unlicensed Brazil national team thing needs to die already.

elsk

Banned
Yeah, this too. I'd rather have quality > quantity. I understand the marketing value in ridiculous numbers, but more than half of the game's players and teams look like amateur shit. They can't even get simple stuff like kits and badges right at times.

Also: They still have Arshavin in the Arsenal squad, Sene (former Bayern II, now MLS-Revolution) hasn't been added to the team, etc. They stop actually supporting the game like 2 months after the release.

if it stops Bolton passing the ball around like they are Barcelona then this is a good thing.

The ping pong football has to go, it is unrealistic!

I don't agree with this. Why can't Bolton play like Barcelona under a good player? The quality of the teams should come second to the quality of the person playing, IMO. This is why we get everyone playing as Barcelona, because even the shittest player can beat a highly skilled player playing with slightly inferior team. I don't want it to be that way.

WJD

They sound like positive changes depending on execution.

Also the graphics look exactly the same.

elsk

Banned
I don't agree with this. Why can't Bolton play like Barcelona under a good player? The quality of the teams should come second to the quality of the person playing, IMO. This is why we get everyone playing as Barcelona, because even the shittest player can beat a highly skilled player playing with slightly inferior team. I don't want it to be that way.

The quality of the team is more important than the quality of the player. But still, if you know how to play the game and face a shit player using Barcelona/Real Madrid you should be able to defeat them with a 3-4 star team.

First Touch Control, eh?

It's like FIFA 2005 all over again!

360º movement!

spidye

I'm obviously biased, but a lot of players (specially the defense, being the 2nd best one in Europe top leagues) are very underrated. Alaba is 75, Badstuber 80, Luiz Gustavo 80... Schweinsteiger is not longer a "complete midfielder" for some reason.

Gómez is hugely overrated. Robben and Ribéry are alright.

Exactly!
well, I don't know about gomez ;) but the rest is actually underrated. especially kroos, alaba and badstuber

rubber banding
rubber banding
rubber banding
rubber banding
rubber banding
rubber banding

It's fucking embarrassing how bad it is. Seriously, fix it.

elsk

Banned
Manchester United better be licensed team this time!!!!! Especially with Shinji Kagawa on his way there :).

Man United is licensed, they have kits, stadium and everything else. They just need to do the photo thing to add all the faces, etc.

Unlicensed is when they have generic logo, kits, faces. Like 99% of the teams in the Serie B.

rvy

Banned

Because that's nonsense. In a perfect FIFA world, the player using Bolton would be able to beat Barcelona if he was skilled enough, but Bolton should never be allowed to play like Barcelona. What the fuck.

The quality of the team is more important than the quality of the player.

And I will continue to disagree with this mentality every single time, even if I'm in the minority. I don't want the whole "well you won because you picked a slightly better team" to be a valid excuse.

Messi

Man United is licensed, they have kits, stadium and everything else. They just need to do the photo thing to add all the faces, etc.

Unlicensed is when they have generic logo, kits, faces. Like 99% of the teams in the Serie B.

Fuck serie B, laliga is like this

Edit: faces I mean.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Semi-off topic but isn't the same team making Fifa also developing (or developed) the upcoming NCAA and Madden releases?

No, that American football crap is made by EA Tiburon down in Florida. FIFA & NHL games are made by EA Canada out in Vancouver.

And I will continue to disagree with this mentality every single time, even if I'm in the minority. I don't want the whole "well you won because you picked a slightly better team" to be a valid excuse.

But that isn't what he is arguing. A player shouldn't be able to play like Barcelona if he is playing as Bolton because Bolton doesn't have the personnel to play like Barcelona. He should utilize the strengths of Bolton to beat his opponent. And Bolton is worse than Barcelona, so if someone is playing as Bolton, it should be a slightly uphill battle to beat Real Madrid, or Tottenham, or really any team in the top divisions based on their season.

because the stats should mean something. At the moment they don't!

yes a good player can do well with Bolton but they shouldn't be able to pass the ball around so easily and accurately as they do at the moment.

Even vs the CPU on World class and above the game becomes silly as all the CPU teams pass the ball with ease with very little mistakes.

Because that's nonsense. In a perfect FIFA world, the player using Bolton would be able to beat Barcelona if he was skilled enough, but Bolton should never be allowed to play like Barcelona. What the fuck.

I'm not saying every single player will be able to turn Bolton into Barcelona, but only the very skilled players. The balance was pretty good in Fifa 12, but it sounds to me like they could screw it up here.

Top Bottom