• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 17 demo releases today

TLZ

Banned
I absolutely love this slower, more realistic approach. No sign of Fifa's trademark off-putting skating.

I'm happy.

And I can't wait to play The Journey!

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
This actually felt great.

giphy.gif

Coxy100

Banned
Only played 2 games so far but it reminds me of Fifa 16 a lot where all the teams played like Barcelona.

My first game I only had 30% possession - I just couldn't get the ball off them...

And it still feels like slowest AI defenders can keep up with your fast striker...

Genio88

I've not been playing a FIFA since 14, I switched to PES till now, but this year i'm going with FIFA again, not only cause they have Juventus deal, but I really liked this demo, graphics and animations are pretty good, game feel slow enough and physics of ball and player overall are good too, I didn't like at all how complicated they made the penalties, corner kick and free kick in general, though that's just a marginal thing and I guess i'll get used to that, also can't wait to come back in Ultimate Team, I played PES Myclub for the last 2 years and I enjoyed it but UT is another thing

Certinty

Played a few matches and my teammates seem utterly useless, they struggle to get the ball back when we don't have possession.

The Journey thing is pretty cool though, one reason to get this game.

I absolutely love this slower, more realistic approach. No sign of Fifa's trademark off-putting skating.

I'm happy.

And I can't wait to play The Journey!

The demo's always seem to play slower, the people that hate change complain and then they speed it up for the full game.

I think PES plays better from my experience with the demo but FIFA's demo was better than I hoped. Not sure it's a day one for me though.

Carlius

Banned
game can shine in some areas...i liked the journey part. i actually felt pressured to score that winnning goal lmao

RAIDEN1

After playing the demo I wouldn't say I was blown away, the journey as others have said is quite good part of the game, but not being a Man United supporter, its a shame you can't change the team to another premier league side..even though I found it somewhat interesting is it enough to warrant getting yet ANOTHER entry in the series?

So for the first time in 8 years probably I am jumping ship and will be getting PES for the PS4 this year...

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The demo's always seem to play slower, the people that hate change complain and then they speed it up for the full game.

I think PES plays better from my experience with the demo but FIFA's demo was better than I hoped. Not sure it's a day one for me though.

Yep. FIFA 16 demo was great, perfectly paced. Kids complained, EA obliged and sped it up. Worst FIFA game in years too.

After playing the demo I wouldn't say I was blown away, the journey as others have said is quite good part of the game, but not being a Man United supporter, its a shame you can't change the team to another premier league side..even though I found it somewhat interesting is it enough to warrant getting yet ANOTHER entry in the series?

So for the first time in 8 years probably I am jumping ship and will be getting PES for the PS4 this year...

There's two other Premier League teams in the demo - Man City and Chelsea.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

In the final game you can chose your team from PL for The Journey.

Pachimari

You can pick any Premier League side for Hunter in the final game.

There's two other Premier League teams in the demo - Man City and Chelsea.
That's not what he is talking about. He is talking about The Journey.

Jawbone54

Neo Member
I played three matches last night, then one match of Story Mode.

Gameplay impressions:

- Visually, it's fantastic. It was time for a new engine, and it's made a huge difference, IMHO. I wasn't sure if the animations were going to be changed, but they seem to be. Everything feels the right pace now.
- The new physical play creates many situations which mirror real-life football, such as the battle to remain in possession with someone on your back against the touchline. Larger, physical players have a new value in FIFA 17. You can especially feel it when jostling over corners and most other headers. I just hope it's not overpowered.
- The opposing team no longer holds possession by passing it around the defenders 90 times. Thank God.
- I don't know if it was a fluke or not, but I was able to fire off several screamers in situations that would have made sense in a real match. I liked it.
- The new corner system is nice. It might make it too easy to deliver it precisely where you want it, but I have yet to take a corner with a lesser-skilled player, so I'll have to see.
- All in all, I think the gameplay is a huge step up from 16. And yes, I did feel there was something more PES-like in the physics and pace, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly.

The Journey:

I haven't given it much thought until the demo. My expectations were very low, based on the terrible story mode in NBA2K16.

However, the little glimpse that we're given in the FIFA 17 demo shows some really strong potential. The acting seems legit, and the moments felt like they had some weight to them. If it continues throughout story mode, I'm going to be very happy.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Playing PES really highlights how bad FIFA's AI is, and how much I hate it's defending.

Especially to an offline player, like me. Both for me this year, I can easily split my time between each.

Football Manager is the football game that devours the majority of my time anyway.

That's not what he is talking about. He is talking about The Journey.

Ah, my mistake. Misread it.

World Class in the demo seemed more enjoyable than in 16. It doesn't seem quite as bad where they'd just pass it around the defence for what seemed like forever. At least during the few games I've played so far.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Ah, my mistake. Misread it.

World Class in the demo seemed more enjoyable than in 16. It doesn't seem quite as bad where they'd just pass it around the defence for what seemed like forever. At least during the few games I've played so far.

I also found the AI less annoying that in 16 at world class level.

Realeza

Banned
Fucking I air-fist-pumped when I scored an amazing goal in the Journey at minute 88. This mode has serious potential.

Pachimari

Gonna try out World Class difficulty now.

The game seems much more reliable on guarding the ball than in FIFA 16. I find it harder to take the ball away from my opponent.

I also don't like the corner kicks but maybe I'll get used to it. Have yet to try out the new free kicks.

Scored a screamer from long distance with Cristiano.

LostDonkey

Can't even get on Origin today. Is anyone having problems on PC? it say a critical update is required and to restart, but it just loops when I do.

PaulLFC

Really enjoying the demo now I'm getting more of an idea of how defending works. It feels hugely different to PES and I think this will be a year where I get both games.

How is the player base on Xbox One? Digitally it's cheaper there than on PSN, so if online is well populated I'll get it there - I'll likely be playing single player for a good while anyway.

Are the higher priced editions with UT packs worth it? I haven't played UT regularly in at least a couple of years now, so I'm not too clued up on all the specifics of it. My friend who plays it a lot said it's probably best to just go with the standard edition and then buy special packs later if need be, rather than throw an extra £30/£40 at Gold packs now.

blacklotus

i tried the share play thing but it doesnt work...

Both account's have to be from the same country i think.

Yesterday i tried with a friend that uses an USA account because of dollar, and it didn't work.
He switched to his portuguese account, activated some 2 day plus trial(you have to be plus), and we played together.

Spent 2 hours straight playing vs the same friend last night, from 01h to 03h am.

...and the game is awesome. Hope they don't change it much from the demo.

How do you do this trick?

Just hold the left trigger in the your player's forward direction, while standing still, until he does it.
5 star skill only.

Alpende

Fucking I air-fist-pumped when I scored an amazing goal in the Journey at minute 88. This mode has serious potential.

I just don't get why they wouldn't let us create our own player. A Be A Pro mode in The Journey would have been cool. Hunter is the most generic name too.

Really enjoying the demo now I'm getting more of an idea of how defending works. It feels hugely different to PES and I think this will be a year where I get both games.

How is the player base on Xbox One? Digitally it's cheaper there than on PSN, so if online is well populated I'll get it there - I'll likely be playing single player for a good while anyway.

Are the higher priced editions with UT packs worth it? I haven't played UT regularly in at least a couple of years now, so I'm not too clued up on all the specifics of it. My friend who plays it a lot said it's probably best to just go with the standard edition and then buy special packs later if need be, rather than throw an extra £30/£40 at Gold packs now.

The player base is huge in Xbox One. The special editions I would leave. You don't even get the packs straight away they are handed out either once or twice a week.

The demo feels like a slower-paced 16. Tackling might be a bit easier due to the slower pace, but it's still way too hard to block an AI winger from making a cross or cutting inside you.
I'm finding it hard to time the power on my shots. I'm doing way too many weekly-hit daisy-cutters. I tried adding lots of power then double pressing for the new "low shot" option, but it didn't seem to work well (maybe this is just my lack of skill).
In contrast, 16 let me give a reasonably powerful low-shot by default with a short single tap. I'm not sure what the new system adds, since there is no point at which a single short tap (i.e. pathetically-weak shot) is desirable.

The AI is still playing like Barcelona with a million short passes but very little desire to actually attack the goal. I'm (only) on Pro difficulty and I've not conceded a goal, despite having less possession. This is what turned me off 16's career mode. Too much time chasing the ball, and too many 0-0 draws and 1-0 victories as the AI just parks the bus.

On the positive side, the Journey mode seems like a huge amount of fun.
I'll probably go with PES this year, but I reckon I'll get FIFA 17 at some point just to try this mode.

Also, the ability to trap a contested ball on your chest is really useful. Previous games have always forced you to head a contested high ball or lose it, making it impossible to hit a long ball for a target man to hold.

I've not played enough to see if they fixed the formations to work well. 16 had major problems with fullbacks and wingers taking up stupid positions regardless of your formation/tactics/instructions. I didn't see any big problems in the demo, so maybe this is better now

Diancecht

Loving everything what I am seeing in this one. I just hope the story mode won't be on the same level as Spike Lee's tragedy of a story.

Bobnob

I found FUT to be faster than "normal" matches in fifa 16 maybe 17 will be the same. Love the demo. Also was lb used in 16 to call a player towards you when in possesion ?(if so, thats a game mechanic i never used lol and i was day 1) i know rb made your players make a run.

Top Bottom