• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 17 demo releases today

Playing this again and still not liking it :-/. I hate the passing. Hate it. So slow along the ground, like they're passing through treacle and everyone passes the same.

I dislike how the players stand there for ages while being passed too. Moving the stick towards the ball only works so much and doesn't help on fast breaks.

Playing this again and still not liking it :-/. I hate the passing. Hate it. So slow along the ground, like they're passing through treacle and everyone passes the same.

I dislike how the players stand there for ages while being passed too. Moving the stick towards the ball only works so much and doesn't help on fast breaks.

Yeah, this is the main issue I had in the few games I've played so far. Passing seems a lot slower and it seems to require a lot more power for the ball to travel at any decent speed.

AyzOn

Neo Member
I got a kinda weird issue since my brother keeps telling me that it doesnt happen.

We both generally play with all helping systems off, that works just fine for me in Fifa16.

In the Fifa 17 demo however I just cant get control of my passing.
I sometimes just want to make a soft pass into empty space but they shoot way too hard sometimes. Same with high balls, they got unusable for me due to them always being way too hard.

Is that just me or did they change something?
As I said, no problem in Fifa16, but im not feeling like im in control anymore.

KHlover

Banned
lol just went 13:0. Time to move up to the next difficulty, me thinks.

Highlight:
IMbA8Xj.gif

the full game is always different to the demo and it's always so annoying because I'm usually much better at the demo due to the fact I always play a slow, passing possession based game. Haven't had a chance to play this yet but I'm expect more of the same.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
For me the defence it's better. Or I'm able to time my tackles better. Also the AI seems to position a bit better, so switching between the defenders doesn't fuck you up as often.

Played the demo for about an hour yesterday...not very excited.

I'm a big Fifa fan, play every year for more than 1000 hours easily, got a little fed up with the single player gameplay at 2016, its just really annoying the way the AI handles the game. (I play at legendary, and yes, I win 90% of times, its not hard, just boring).
Multiplayer i guess its still great, will again play seasons and UT (1st division on both) for about 50,60 seasons till next year

I do feel the game improved, but not that much, the AI seems smarter in finding spaces, the movement and ball control is better

BUT im not feeling it.

also played the PES demo for a couple of hours, and felt it was more fun and less "annoying" overall (single player mostly).

I'll buy Fifa obviously, but I'm also willing to give it a try on PES this year, just bought it, maybe I'm tired of FIFA, it's not doing it for me

KHlover

Banned
Oh, seems like goal line technology is in. Just shot a goal where the ball hit the crossbar, bounced just behind the line and then out of the goal. In the replay they showed the goal from the perspective of the goal line camera and did that blue infographic.

b715d187-7522-4a0e-8aa3-e3e81ff62f24.jpg

Pretty awesome tbh

etta

my hard graphic balls
Oh, seems like goal line technology is in. Just shot a goal where the ball hit the crossbar, bounced just behind the line and then out of the goal. In the replay they showed the goal from the perspective of the goal line camera and did that blue infographic.

b715d187-7522-4a0e-8aa3-e3e81ff62f24.jpg

Pretty awesome tbh
It was in last year.

I don't get it. Sometimes the presentation in Journey looks stellar, then I see the crowd in a cutscene, or the way the mic moves in the post-game interview and I want to die laughing.

Realeza

Banned
I don't get it. Sometimes the presentation in Journey looks stellar, then I see the crowd in a cutscene, or the way the mic moves in the post-game interview and I want to die laughing.

It's a story mode for a sports game. Don't expect it to look like the cutscenes of a regular single player game.

sun-drop

Pretty obvious visual upgrade over 16 imo. Loving how the pitch looks this year, far better texture work.

And I like the default pace too. Day 1 for me

kriskrosbbk

I know its a demo and not a beta but hope we get those ironed out somehow in the full game.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Theres sometimes weird freezes for me on PC, they last about 2 seconds

But it happens very rarely, weird

Very impressed with the FIFA17 demo, last most played FIFA online game was FIFA15 and that was fantastic. Gameplay (passing/shooting) feels way more fluid and smooth, replay animations and celebrations animations and camera work are lot lot better this time around and actually looks nice.

Dartastic

Genuinely love the demo for The Journey. Love it. Instapurchase for that alone. Never been able to play anything like this before.

heringer

Played a bunch more of the demo. I changed the tempo to fast and the game feels much better. I quite enjoy the controls and the feel of the game.

Now I noticed something a little off. Bear with me, because I haven't bought a football game in years, and my playtime in the last few years was mostly with multiplayer matches on PS3. Anyway, what I noticed was that the AI doesn't pose much of a threat? Granted, I wasn't playing on Legendary, but on World Class the opposing team just doesn't do much at all. There's barely any organization, they miss a bunch of passes, no creativity... it's weird. They also feel a little dumb defensively, but it's more jarring when they have possession. They just don't play like an organized team at all.

Am I crazy here?

Other than that I enjoyed and the Journey mode seems very cool.

Decided to download FIFA and PES demos yesterday even though I hadn't touched a PES game since 2006.

Played with a buddy of mine. We started with PES and ended up playing like six matches, we had to force ourselves to switch games.

Then we played two matches of FIFA and we were done. It felt slow as fuck, boring, scripted, and just, well, not right. We didn't have much fun. I'll also echo etta's sentiment, it looked really washed out.

I don't give a crap about the story mode, so the only thing FIFA's got going for it as far as I'm concerned is Ultimate Team, which is more of an unhealthy addiction than anything else.

Looks like I'll be switching to PES for the first time ever !

Metfanant

Yeah, this is the main issue I had in the few games I've played so far. Passing seems a lot slower and it seems to require a lot more power for the ball to travel at any decent speed.

Is the "normal" pass and the "driven" pass still a thing? It was added last year in 16...have not had a chance to play the 17 demo yet, but this could be part of your problem

DominoKid

i forget how frustrating FIFA is vs the computer in the normal game mode.
i see how people could say fifa sucks if that's all they do.

cant wait to give this a spin against friends (which is how i play all the time). those threaded through balls man...
shielding is OP as fuck tho
penalties are dumb. set pieces are sick.

Dartastic

This is pretty much the reason. Look at the amount of people who say lack of licenses turns them away from PES, and that's with PES having some licenses they can get, and making it as easy as possible to correct the rest.

Unless exclusivity is ended, there's no point.
The presentation in FIFA is also far, far, far better. From the commentators, to the crowds, FIFA is better. Plus since I generally follow MLS and the EPL, the teams that they DO manage to get aren't things that interest me.

Fuck the fact that we have to play as a Man U player in the FIFA story mode. Ugh. #YNWA

Malcolm9

The presentation in FIFA is also far, far, far better. From the commentators, to the crowds, FIFA is better. Plus since I generally follow MLS and the EPL, the teams that they DO manage to get aren't things that interest me.

Fuck the fact that we have to play as a Man U player in the FIFA story mode. Ugh. #YNWA

You can play for any Premier League team in the Journey mode by the way, not just Manchester United.

As for the demo I'm really not enjoying it, PES 2017 really spoils me as it's a great game. FIFA is actually very limited in play style and even though it has technological enhancements compared to PES, it actually looks and plays less natural in my view.

The passing is slow, yes there is a driven pass but the standard pass should travel alot quicker if you add more power. The AI is terribly dry as always in FIFA games.

PES gameplay wise totally surpasses PES; and it's catching up in other areas to.

The textures on the field look better than last year, but the gameplay feels nearly identical to me.

I was hoping Frostbite would bring more noticeable changes.

Lupercal

Banned
Lol at that highlight top of the page.
A sweaty goal? Come on son.

Demo itself plays great, fluid movement on the ball, defending is a little different but I'll get used to it.

Love the fact that when there's a loose ball, it goes with the closest player and not the player you last controlled.

Xater

You can play for any Premier League team in the Journey mode by the way, not just Manchester United.

As for the demo I'm really not enjoying it, PES 2017 really spoils me as it's a great game. FIFA is actually very limited in play style and even though it has technological enhancements compared to PES, it actually looks and plays less natural in my view.

The passing is slow, yes there is a driven pass but the standard pass should travel alot quicker if you add more power. The AI is terribly dry as always in FIFA games.

PES gameplay wise totally surpasses PES; and it's catching up in other areas to.

I do think PES plays slightly better, but it's a really hard sell for me this year. (I got it last year) Right now I only have the Xbone here and I only care about the Bundesliga. So PES is just an inferior experience in that regard. Also a story mode is a big plus for me. I am excited for stuff like this in sports games.

Malcolm9

The standing tackle is still poor, sliding is not even worth using.

With all their resources you'd think EA could actual nail gameplay, rather than rehash the same crap each year. The FUT crowd will lap it up though as always, so EA don't really care really.

Lighting and some of the visuals are great but the players models are nothing special, and considering they use full facial scans some of the players don't look that great ie Hazard, Fabregas.

Realeza

Banned

Exactly. Playing the PES demo right now and it kinda feels like a respectable knock-off, while FIFA has fantastic presentation, more features, feels more ambitious, etc. Also, I don't see what's "inferior" gameplay wise compared to PES.

Mugen08

Since PES keeps being inferior on PC I will probably get FIFA this year. Haven't had a proper football game since 2010 or something, used to play FIFA/PES for hundreds of hours before. Demo seemed fine to me, I hope also the smaller leagues are updated. Main problem was that I had the PES control scheme programmed into my hands. Also, not sure if I like the XB1-controller for this type of game, that requires a lot of use of the bumpers. Might opt for the DS4 instead.

ActWan

Ok I'll give my verdict on the demo.
The gameplay definitely is slower, each team can have way more time on the ball because of the new physicality system (it's really hard to get the ball off players in this game), so rushing forward without thinking is pretty pointless here cuz it's a long time til you get the ball back.
I like the new penalties and corners, easier to win headers that way which was almost impossible in 16 and the penalties are really cool (takes time getting used to it tho). My only gripe with the free kicks is that I can't seem to be able to shoot from them? Maybe I just didn't figure it out yet...
Also, untimed slide tackles are almost surely to cause a foul, unlike 16 were the opposition player would just jump over it most of the times.
The Journey seems really cool but I don't know how it'll hold up for multiple playthroughs...but we only saw a small glimpse of it, I'll wait for the full game.
My conclusion is that Fifa might be slowly turning into PES.

The passing definitely feels off in comparison to the rest of the fluidity. The animations are definitely better, the corners have been vastly improved but the standard passing ruins the flow of the game.

Is it worth the 60? Don't know. Maybe. Will probably wait for user reviews before I am going to buy it. Depends on whether this demo is an older build and they improved some bits.

Is the "normal" pass and the "driven" pass still a thing? It was added last year in 16...have not had a chance to play the 17 demo yet, but this could be part of your problem
Driven passes are a thing, but they're harder for players to control. My specific problem is in building up attacks with short passes. It's impossible with the short and driven passes now.

Of course I could just through ball and sprint past everyone but that's not as fun to me

the full game is always different to the demo and it's always so annoying because I'm usually much better at the demo due to the fact I always play a slow, passing possession based game. Haven't had a chance to play this yet but I'm expect more of the same.

My rule of thumb - if I hate the demo I'll love the full title, and vice versa.

Top Bottom