• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fifa 18 on Switch doesn't allow you to play online with friends

Bazry

This is fucked up, now people have their hands on the Switch version, it appears theres no option to play matches with your friends online

What possible reason could there be for this fundamental option to not be included? Despite Nintendo's poor online system, multiple games on Switch allow this option, plus it was an option on the Wii U version of Fifa

Not sure i'll be keeping my copy now, might just end up sending it back

EDIT: For those who seem unsure whether this is a EA or Nintendo issue:

Posted in the wrong thread earlier, whoops:

DK4kdyNXcAA2TfD.jpg

DK4kenfXcAAEYKV.jpg

DK4kgk9XkAAOGLP.jpg

DK4kmmWXoAAYtiH.jpg

DK4knx0XcAADWMA.jpg

DK4ko2jWAAEadb9.jpg

DK4koWHWAAgzPGq.jpg

Nintendo, Capcom, Sega, Konami and even indie dev Shin'en let you play with friends. Sure, Nintendo should have better features on an OS level but that doesn't excuse what you hand over to the consumer. If indie developers can jump through hoops I'm sure the largest publisher out there can give it a shot.

marmoka

Banned
Thank god I didn't get it. This does not make any sense.

No wonder why EA has been many times named as the worst videogame company. They never treat their costumers well.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
They better have something to say as I was about to buy it on Switch...

Zoon

I kind of like that EA didn't solve this issue themselves (well yeah, it sucks for those who get the game). Maybe with a big outcry Nintendo will finally get their shit together.

EDarkness

People will still find excuses to buy this version so it's fine.

I never play sports games with friends, so it doesn't affect me at all.

I kind of like that EA didn't solve this issue themselves (well yeah, it sucks for those who get the game). Maybe with a big outcry Nintendo will finally get their shit together.

Isn't this an EA thing? Other NS games allow you to play with friends.

Bazry

Throw it to the garbage, this version is now pretty much worthless.

I mean 90% of the reason why I bought this was for portability, so its not like that suddenly isn't now there for me, but this just seems like such a stupid decision that makes no sense

Neith

Banned
I really hope by the Switch 2 Nintendo sorts all of this stuff out so we don't have these problems at all.

_Legacy_

That's a real bummer for Switch footy fans. Of all the features for the game not to have on Switch, I thought playing friends online would have been a basic inclusion.

Bendo

Let's be honest, this is something Nintendo should have sorted out a long time ago. I expect they'll patch it in later through the app or something later on, but not having such a core feature after six months is not great.

Metal B

Let's be honest, this is something Nintendo should have sorted out a long time ago. I expect they'll patch it in later through the app or something later on, but not having such a core feature after six months is not great.
This has nothing to do with Nintendo directly. It's possible in other Switch games.

gossi

To clarify, you can play online. The friend stuff in both this game and Switch generally needs some work.

Bazry

I can't see how this can be a Nintendo problem, as said multiple games on Switch allow this and it was fine on Wii U

Guess it's not particularly surprising. There was an interview with the producer of the game and he was frank in saying that they had to pick and choose what to include in what is a first iteration of a bespoke version of the game before it launched in September:

Lazarescu said:
"The list of features to include is never-ending," Lazarescu concludes. "With FIFA, you have a fixed amount of time every year. So you have to make the best choices really fast to deliver the best thing possible. Overall, for a first year, this is an incredible game and it allows us to build on it. That was the main goal besides doing a very fun, responsive and immersive game that feels like a FIFA. We don't want to do a one-off. We want to do something that we can build on.

Also worth noting:

Although EA has other games for the console in the works, this is by far its biggest bet, and its success or failure may go on to dictate its ongoing support.

But its commercial performance will matter most to the development team. Lazarescu calls this a "foundation year" and lists off numerous things he and his team hope to include in future iterations. That will only happen if the game succeeds. The franchise received just one entry on Wii U due to its under-performance. Whereas on Vita - the previous 'best portable FIFA ever' - the lukewarm reception meant the game wasn't given much time and effort beyond the initial 2012 release [indeed, subsequent Vita games simply boasted an updated roster and little else].

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I can't see how this can be a Nintendo problem, as said multiple games on Switch allow this and it was fine on Wii U

Seeing how FAST RMX had the same problem and how Nintendo it's trying to push the matchmaking to the Online app, it's obviously not a straight feature out of the box.

This is fucked up, now people have their hands on the Switch version, it appears theres no option to play matches with your friends online

What possible reason could there be for this fundamental option to not be included? Despite Nintendo's poor online system, multiple games on Switch allow this option, plus it was an option on the Wii U version of Fifa

Not sure i'll be keeping my copy now, might just end up sending it back

So you can play against friends, just not with friends on the same team? Or just no friends play at all unless you get lucky?

J@hranimo

Banned
Guess it's not particularly surprising. There was an interview with the producer of the game and he was frank in saying that they had to pick and choose what to include in what is a first iteration of a bespoke version of the game before it launched in September:

Also worth noting:

Yeah EA seem to have worded this to exclude online from a lot of modes

Fifa via Amazon

Sounds like they might not be patching anything but they do mention Online seasons tho

That's crazy as hell.

ronpontelle

Neo Member
People will still find excuses to buy this version so it's fine.
It's the portability that's the USP for me and I don't play online much and playing with randoms is fine for me when I do, but it's pretty crappy. Whether it's Nintendo's fault (not having a better friend/invite system) or EA's for not doing what others have done.

I'm sure it'll be patched in. I'm not sure when I'll pick it up, but hopefully it'll be in by then!

TheMoon

Why are you acting like you can't play any game with friends online when everyone knows you can and has been doing it since launch?!?

How is this immediately "oh nintendo..." just because it's online related?

I don't follow this logic.

Sure, the Switch has some sort of matchmaking, but if it's so much work to implement that EA have decided to cut it to save time, then I'd say Nintendo have fucked up. At the end of the day it's their responsibility to create a framework that allows developers to easily hook into their ecosystem, they're planning to charge money for this after all.

I can agree with this more fleshed out version of the point.

Mario kart and splatoon 2 also miss some play with friends options

By design. You can play with friends in both.

JustJavi

I've got a list of games for Switch that I want to buy, but trying to only spend so much money on games per month. Fifa was on the second position, but I think I'm gonna take it away from the list until something is done about it.

Bendo

Sure, the Switch has some sort of matchmaking, but if it's so much work to implement that EA have decided to cut it to save time, then I'd say Nintendo have fucked up. At the end of the day it's their responsibility to create a framework that allows developers to easily hook into their ecosystem, they're planning to charge money for this after all.

Top Bottom