• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 Review Thread

Xater

I am also interested in the Switch version, because a good portable FUT would be amazing. Doubt we will get a demo though and we will probably have to wait until Digital Foundry gets their hands on it to see how well it works.

Already got PES 2018 as the demo convinced me over Fifa 18. I may pick up Fifa 18 for the Switch if it goes down in price to play a few online games.

I am surprised that one review said that the gap had been closed - I feel PES 2018 widens the gap even further and that Fifa has become too simplistic and arcadey. The graphics also seem to have got worse.

KdotIX

How in the fuck are these reviews scoring high? From the demo I played (on PC) it felt exactly the same as 17, dribbling, defending, attacking etc. PES is undoubtedly better gameplay wise, FIFA is better off-the-pitch like one review said.

Unless the release code is significantly different to the demo code...?

How in the fuck are these reviews scoring high? From the demo I played (on PC) it felt exactly the same as 17, dribbling, defending, attacking etc. PES is undoubtedly better gameplay wise, FIFA is better off-the-pitch like one review said.

Maybe they don't have the same opinion about it as KdotIX?

KdotIX

Maybe they don't have the same opinion about it as KdotIX?

That's fair game. The reviewers may even be even more deeply entrenched in the gameplay nuances of both football games. But is the gameplay really "streets ahead" of it's predecessor? Is it something I'm missing?

RdN

I sincerely don't understand how someone can say if felt exactly the same as the previous game after playing it.

Player movement is completely changed. The way you mark your man, cover the pass and follow the through ball is completely different because of that.

Maybe if you're a extremely casual player, you won't see that.. But, it's a hard concept for me to grasp.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's fair game. The reviewers may even be even more deeply entrenched in the gameplay nuances of both football games. But is the gameplay really "streets ahead" of it's predecessor? Is it something I'm missing?

Yes. I mentioned before in this thread. There are some very clear improvements: the first touches, the movement/animation of the players (which translate into a better flow of the game), the actual difference in skills between the players (like it's obvious who is faster and who's not), the crosses, AI positioning and runs, there's no longer that horrible input lag etc. Even the shots are different this year.

+Aliken+

Gonna get back in FIFA becuase of the Switch version.

Been like 5 years since the last one I played.

Nice scores.

Anyone know when Switch version reviews go up? Is there a separate embargo date?

By any chance, any Switch reviews?

Either that or they haven't send out any copies. I am kinda worried, we'll see soon enough.

When is it coming out for switch?

Need impressions of the Switch version and how it stacks up compared to the other versions.

I keep buying them almost every year only to play for like 10 hours and quit.

Maybe the Switch will change this.

Just from the first half of the first page.
Wow the hunger for the Switch version is great.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I enjoyed PES2018's demo but the full game is so disappointing.

Playing Origin Access of FIFA and I'm enjoying it, especially the new single player stuff in FUT

Think the majority of players do unfortunately.

Why is someone playing different to you unfortunate?

Xater

I enjoyed PES2018's demo but the full game is so disappointing.

Playing Origin Access of FIFA and I'm enjoying it, especially the new single player stuff in FUT

All that stuff will be identical on the Switch right?It's just that the Story mode is missing right?

amardilo

I really don't like the story mode or FUT stuff but it seems like they have been major selling/talking points over the last few years but I still like to get FIFA to just play matches with actual teams.

Can't say I agree with one of the negative points in that review "Lower-tier football is no fun for anyone". I really like playing against my friends with some random low star teams.

Rellik

do you still have to back out of lobbies and go through 15 different menus to change your online pro's position when playing online clubs with friends?

Wouldn't know. EA locked me out of all online features on FIFA and told me they can't fix it. Joke of a company.

DamnBoxes

Another year of FIFA, another year of Pro Clubs!

dsw3wDg.gif

Lashley

I prefer games with competitive online modes to be played without assistance. Something wrong with that?

Whats stopping you then? There's a filter for manual games.

No need to be snobby and elitist about it.

LAM09

Whats stopping you then? There's a filter for manual games.

No need to be snobby and elitist about it.

Nothing. I have no interest in the game having played the demo and was just making a point that very few people play on manual.

Never made a comment about one type of player being better than the other. Just my stance of assistance in general.

Lashley

Nothing. I have no interest in the game having played the demo and was just making a point that very few people play on manual.

Never made a comment about one type of player being better than the other. Just my stance of assistance in general.

Yeah, it's a shame trying to play manual games, it literally takes minutes to find games :/

I play on a mix of semi and manual, but don't really care about assistance etc since the game is popular with kids

LAM09

Yeah, it's a shame trying to play manual games, it literally takes minutes to find games :/

I play on a mix of semi and manual, but don't really care about assistance etc since the game is popular with kids

It is. I liked the model Konami went with in PES 2011 (one pass option for all) but that's a conversation for another day.

psilva

Count me in for the FIFA Switch hype. Just worried about not having analogue triggers. Hopefully it sells well and brings PES to the Switch next year.

Xater

Count me in for the FIFA Switch hype. Just worried about not having analogue triggers. Hopefully it sells well and brings PES to the Switch next year.

I would say that not having analogue triggers is actually a benefit here.

BT-727

Neo Member
Bahahaha. Somebody actually using "streets ahead" in a real review. That's hilarious.

As a massive Community fan I lol'd hard IRL.

God is a Geek - 8/10

http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/fifa-18-review/

So it’s a very good FIFA, then. Fit to burst with content, with enough changes on the field to feel like a new game, but not quite enough in certain modes to truly feel revolutionary.

Gadgets 360 - 8/10

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/reviews/fifa-18-review-1754025

In a lot of ways, FIFA 18 is essentially FIFA 17.5, and that’s not a bad thing.

FYI the game is completely broken on PC. I would advise people not to buy it. Crashes, soft locks, stuck on loading screens. Played about 2 minutes after a few hours of trying to get it to work.

Worrying that no reviews I read mentioned any of this

FYI the game is completely broken on PC. I would advise people not to buy it. Crashes, soft locks, stuck on loading screens. Played about 2 minutes after a few hours of trying to get it to work.

Um.. Maybe it's just you? It's not completely broken for me. I have a weird issue with the first screen doing nothing until I alt-tab, but after that everything is fine.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Are you sure that the issue is not on your side? Quite a number of people playing it via Origin access and you're the first one with that many issues.

What settings are you using?

Um.. Maybe it's just you? It's not completely broken for me. I have a weird issue with the first screen doing nothing until I alt-tab, but after that everything is fine.

Are you sure that the issue is not on your side? Quite a number of people playing it via Origin access and you're the first one with that many issues.

What settings are you using?

No not just me unfortunately. Plenty of people on various forums complaining when I was looking into these issues.

heringer

How can people say FIFA 18 hasn't changed much? They greatly reduced the nasty input lag (or animation priority) and now the game feels very responsive, you can really feel each player's attributes. This is huge, it was the biggest advantage PES had over FIFA. In terms of presentation they are like one generation apart, though FIFA lacks my favorite club which is really disappointing (exclusive to PES this year).

I'm still deciding between the two if only because PES has option files and is half the price for me.

Peterpan

I don't usually complain about reviews, but I hope a new player enters the arena. FIFA year in, year out gets away with minimal effort.

Players faces are not updated. Being a Serie A fan, and AC Milan fan, no one in my team looks like themselves and AC Milan is fairly huge club. I don't want face scans, but at least look somewhat like the player using whatever creator they use, but the players don't.

They can't even do ratings right, I am of the honest belief EA don't watch football, I'm not talking about I want a player to be 85 when they are 84, if you are unknown then they just give you a random rating.

The gameplay to this day has not been fixed. Small things like player switching, year in year out they gives me the player furthest from the ball, like why. The gameplay still feels not that reactive, slightly better, but still there's issues. I can write an essay what they need to fix in gameplay. Last year they took out training mode, no one blinked an eye.

Manager mode is still pure garbage, FIFA 07 had a better manager mode, then freaking 18. Alex Hunter gameplay looks the same, exactly the same. Nothing major changed.

I can go on and on, yet these 'gaming outlets' don't hold EA to the fire and this is why we FIFA stays garbage.

How is EA getting away with this garbage?

FIFA is an ultimate team machine.

Top Bottom