• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 21 is old-gen on the PC because EA did not want to raise its PC system requirements

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

“When we looked at what generation to put the PC game on, we looked at our fans and what capabilities they had with the hardware they have."

FIFA-21-temp-672x372.jpg

"We have informations to understand what the power of the PCs out there in the world are.
And when we looked at that, in order to run the gen five game, our min spec would have been at a spot that would have left a lot of people out in the cold not being able to play the game.
So we made the choice to keep the PC version of the game on the gen four version of FIFA so that we can open the doors and be inclusive to everybody who wants to play FIFA.”

tenor.gif

Source:

Proof, as if it was needed, for why console generations are vital for games generally, and PC gaming in particular.

If it weren't for console generations raising that baseline regularly, there would be almost no incentive for publishers to aim for anything other than toaster specs.

Last edited:

Stuart360

More like Fifa doesnt sell nearly as much on PC as console, so will will do as little effort as possible.
Well PC gamers dont forget this shit, which is why Fifa has sold shockingly on Steam.
Konami did the same thing with PES this gen, up until 2017 when they switched to the 'current gen' version.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

People need to stop buying Fifa EA trash so another company can use the license.

Its whats keeping EA alive and I swear it feels like the same shit as when I played Fifa 1998 on Playstation 1, then 2006 360. Same shit and hasnt changed.

Must be the least effort in gaming history

brap

Banned
There's no need to gatekeep video games, friend.

And this is probably a good idea by EA, they have the data to show whether it's worth the money.
Not gatekeeping is why the industry is in the shit shape it's in. Enjoy your movie games, rehashed garbage every year, microtransactions, censored content, DLC out the ass and games so dumbed down a corpse could play them.

Raonak

Banned
Makes sense considering PCs with next gen specs are a minority.

Why not just have multiple SKUs on PC?

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
If this wasn’t the same company that copy pastes games year after year then I might be more inclined to believe that they had genuine intentions. As it stands, they’re money grabbing magpies and they probably saw a way to avoid spending money on dev time when they could get money for old rope.

Whi plays FIFA on PC, anyway? Isn’t it one if the last bastions of local co-op?

Of course, but the majority of PCs aren’t that ideal PC. They are toasters.
Why the concern for low budget gamers? As long as they can play the games they like, maybe there's no reason to upgrade. Not everyone fits into the low budget pc gamer. As matter a fact, the average pc gamer of GAF, will run circles around your ps5. Including me.

Stuart360

Of course, but the majority of PCs aren’t that ideal PC. They are toasters.
1060 powered PC's could easily run the game at 1080p/60, assuming the game is 4k, or close to 4k on next gen. And the 3000 series cards will take over soon. The only reason why the likes of the 2060/2070 arent already the most used cards on PC is because people decided to wait for the 3000 cards due to the ridiculous prices of the 2000 cards.
Even a low end PC of today could run this game at 1080p/30 or 60fps with a few settings turned down.
This is simply down to lower sales of Fifa on PC, and pure laziness. And souldnt be ignored because of stupid PC vs console crap.

Andodalf

Banned
They 100% have metrics for what system people play the game on and I totally can see fifa having a very casual audience that has low spec machines. Like, integrated laptop GPUs

Why the concern for low budget gamers? As long as they can play the games they like, maybe there's no reason to upgrade. Not everyone fits into the low budget pc gamer. As matter a fact, the average pc gamer of GAF, will run circles around your ps5. Including me.

Probably so, but the majority of PCs in the world are not yours, or VFXVeteran’s. They are toasters. This isn’t news.

Probably so, but the majority of PCs in the world are not yours, or VFXVeteran’s. They are toasters. This isn’t news.
What does that matter though? They can play on lower settings, and it doesn't affect us who don't want to be limited to 30/60 fps with reduced textures, resolution, or raytracing? Look at all of the comparisons even with PS5 or XSX vs PC.

Top Bottom