• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 22 will feature "hypermotion", a new animation tech, on next gen consoles and Stadia only. NOT on PC, aligned to old gen consoles versions

Azurro

Banned
Do you really think that Fifa 21 pushed the cpu and the ssd in those consoles? there was nothing in the game that coulnd't be done on slower ssd or cpu, the ai was even dumber than Fifa 20 wich was worse than 19. the Defence is soo stupid in 21 that they don't even go or do what you command. Its all random and luck, before it was 80% skill and 20% luck nowedays its 50% luck and 50% skill.

You don't know the new requirements for the animation system, which I'm not sure where the transformations would be performed, most likely in the GPU.

Regardless, maybe it's true, maybe it's not but you have zero information on which to say EA is lying, so you are just falling back on your dislike of EA.

Who knows when EA would be comfortable raising the requirements, or if it's just that the project ran out of time to offer the PC version at the same time. PCMR guys don't like to hear it, but 99.999% of games aren't made for mega rigs, but for all of those people running a 1050 or a 960 or even integrated graphics on laptops. You get your sliders because a lot of graphical features are scalable, but minimum specs still define the look and possibilities of the game.

Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't they do the same thing last generation? Kept requirements low for the PC version for a couple of years after the PS4 gen started? Might be talking bs, can't recall and it's too late to do research. :p

CamHostage

Who knows when EA would be comfortable raising the requirements, or if it's just that the project ran out of time to offer the PC version at the same time. PCMR guys don't like to hear it, but 99.999% of games aren't made for mega rigs, but for all of those people running a 1050 or a 960 or even integrated graphics on laptops.

And a main-market game like FIFA, even more so. EA has the stats on what players play the game with, they know how many of those PCMR gamers are actually playing sports games... they know whether or not the FIFA PC audience is a high-spec audience. Also, they make all their money of Ultimate Team, and a lot of their audience is in smaller nations where money is tight, so they need to make the software bend to the buyers.

(I'll take a wildly uninformed guess here that a lot of the "Fuck EA" posts have more to do with the precedent being set by a company that makes angering choices, that the number of PC gamers who actually own FIFA 21 and/or were planning to own FIFA 22 are not the majority on this issue...)

It's a shame they didn't double-scope the PC version (even if it didn't launch with the full next-gen Hypermotion engine, they could have released it later as an upgrade, after all the work on other versions,) but the PC audience has never been where the biggest sports gaming crowd is. Granted, that's a chicken-or-egg scenario where PC is never treated as a first-class citizen and so the marketbase begets itself, but I think the numbers probably add up.

Even if that's true, of course it will, just have a checkmark that says: "disable automatically when needed for extended matchmaking".

You wouldn't disable the animation, if it's built into how the game runs. You'd have to have a gated PC gaming audience: one room for Max Specs (Hypermotion) players, another for Standard-Specs players. Arranging separate rooms wouldn't be the challenge (and they could still do it; like I said they could port the next-gen version to PC and offer a replacement upgrade half way to FIFA 23,) but FIFA isn't cross-play and the peak player count of FIFA 21 PC was 40k with an average under 20, so that's decent but is it a big enough number to make the split?

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure this shit will feel pretty much the same as fifa 21, just more marketing talk from EA as usual, I mean what else can they have said for people to get excited.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
PC gamers...

tenor.gif

Gamezone

Gold Member
Not big but it's growing at a steady path.
3 millions downloads for the Android app (not counting all PC and Apple users)
300K hits for the Stadia thread on Era which is quite good.

Stadia's biggest problem is communication. Tech is awesome, library is good, not breathtaking but finally good.
Many gamers just need to test it to understand it could be a good opportunity for them. (disapointed by the lack of Switch Pro ? Stadia is there for Nintendo fans... They can play AAA without high end PC or PS5)

Games like Fifa 22 featuring new tech (not on PC) will help Stadia a lot.

I hop that Stadia will succeed. They have the best streaming tech, and are easy to use. But I still think it's odd that they receive console festures, but PC don't, especially with Steam's huge audience.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
I hop that Stadia will succeed. They have the best streaming tech, and are easy to use. But I still think it's odd that they receive console festures, but PC don't, especially with Steam's huge audience.
EA probably had a check from Google.

Starfield

Not to sound super intelligent, snarky or rude but Fifa fans don't buy the game every year thinking they get a new game. They buy the game every year bc theyre football fans and they want to have updated rosters (I think/hope??)

I absolutely hate Fifa

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Damn it! Good thing I get EA Play together with Gamepass so I can play a couple of matches without giving a dime to EA (I used to wait until they were under $5).

I can't think of other situation where an inferior port was released on PC arguing high end player base not big enough.
Various crossgen FIFAs EA kept the PC version the "same" as last gen versions. Nothing new.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Not to sound super intelligent, snarky or rude but Fifa fans don't buy the game every year thinking they get a new game. They buy the game every year bc theyre football fans and they want to have updated rosters (I think/hope??)

I absolutely hate Fifa

Yeah.

The true fans just buy them every year, to start over with FUT against their friends and have the new rosters and kits. But sometimes, at least the people around me, hate a version because of gameplay and stuff, and they return to the older version.

I buy them rarely, my last one was FIFA 14 next-gen (PS4) and it was actually a good entry I thought. I might buy this one as well, since its the first next-gen version.

Top Bottom