• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Switch Info (includes Ultimate Team, missing The Journey, has PBR rendering)

EDarkness

We've been wanting more info on FIFA Nintendo Switch and we now have something. No gameplay footage yet, but it looks like the game will be packed.

https://www.easports.com/fifa/fifa-18-nintendo-switch#

I think I'm in this year.

EDIT: The screenshot of the game we have is NOT representative of the actual game. We'll need to wait for actual footage and official screens.

EDIT 3: Here's video footage of the game in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r5pQioPj44&feature=youtu.be

EDIT 2: U.S. Gamer has a screenshot of the game. Not sure how to post it. Hit the link for the shot. (If a Mod knows how to do this, please edit it into the post.)

https://twitter.com/USgamernet/status/873643241228296192

DB_N5aJUAAAlK4C.jpg

DB_yUSkWsAAmNfk.jpg:orig

DB_yUSjWAAAxPct.jpg:orig

thefro

Edit: Eurogamer impressions/interview with Switch Producer

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...intendo-switch-is-the-best-portable-fifa-ever

Eurogamer impressions:
- Says game plays well & is at least as responsive as Fifa 17
- Doesn't look as good as PS4 Pro version (shocking news!)
- Says single Joycon mode is fiddly but does an okay job.

Eurogamer interview with the Producer of the Switch version:
- Completely custom engine for Switch, not Frostbite, not Ignite
- 3D crowds, grass, new lighting
- Fifa Ultimate Team Icons are in
- Everything in FUT works "almost exactly the same as other platforms", but no Champions.
- Can buy packs, manage your team anywhere you can connect to wifi
- No "new animation every frame" (new in Frostbite versions of FIFA 18), retains old "new animation every step" from FIFA 17
- 60 FPS
- No atmosphere effects/celebrating in the crowd since that's Frostbite
- New overhauled crossing is in the Switch version
- New hard tackle is in
- The new quick subbing isn't in yet, but the producer says he's "adding it to the list"
- No Journey since it's powered by Frostbite
- The producer says they could get Frostbite on the Switch, but they thought a custom engine would be a better experience
- Doesn't close the door on feature parity with the console versions in the future. Need to see where the platform goes from here

PR:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170610005038/en/

HOLLYWOOD, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Today, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:EA) revealed the first feature details of EA SPORTS™ FIFA 18 on the Nintendo Switch™ console. The game delivers an authentic and immersive football experience, allowing fans to play the world's game anytime, anywhere.

This new edition brings the modes fans know and love, including FIFA Ultimate Team™, Career Mode, Kick Off and Local Seasons, making it the deepest portable game ever to be introduced by EA SPORTS FIFA. Ultimate Team fans will get to participate in beloved features like Squad Building Challenges, Online and Offline Seasons, Tournaments, and Draft. Players will enjoy live campaigns connected to the narrative of the football season, the Transfer Market, and more Ultimate Team features that will be revealed very soon.

"FIFA 18 on Nintendo Switch is the best FIFA you can take with you anywhere, play anytime and with anyone," said Producer, Andrei Lăzărescu. "We're delivering the immersive and authentic experience that fans expect from FIFA, while leveraging innovative ways to play both at home and on the go with Nintendo Switch."

The game takes advantage of the console's unique portability, allowing players to enjoy the game in docked, handheld or tabletop mode, and utilizing local multiplayer connection for Local Seasons. Multiple control schemes are also featured, so whether you prefer to play handheld, dual Joy-Con™, single Joy-Con or Pro Controller, there's an option to fit your playstyle.

The game delivers the most technologically-advanced portable FIFA experience ever, outputting 1080p resolution when docked and 720p on handheld. Players are the most realistic they've ever been due to new Physically Based Player Rendering, and immersive, 3D environments that bring the pitch to life.

In addition to unique control and gameplay features, as well as a robust FIFA Ultimate Team, players can participate in Local Seasons across two Switch consoles, as well as Kick-Off mode, Career, Online Seasons, Tournaments, Women's International Cup and Skill Games.

Join the EA SPORTS FIFA community at Facebook and on Instagram. Follow us on Twitter @easportsfifa and use the hashtag #FIFA18.

FIFA 18 is developed by EA Vancouver and EA Romania and will be available worldwide on September 29 for Nintendo Switch

No excuses now it seems. It has FUT, it is 1080p. It seems it has it all except Journey. They give Nintendo a fair chance here really and I will buy this on top of the PS4 version just for that

The_Lump

Banned
Journey not an issue for me, never touched it on previous 2x games on PS4 & XBone. Shame it's not there for those that want it though.

Having said that, this still soumds like a very good effort from EA.

I take it all back, will support this for sure. Day one.

Edit: hmm, will wait for more screens. Looks sketchy on those promo shots.

I mean...thats more than I expect.

The cinematic story mode, while neat, is not what most people play Fifa for.

I hope this lets you use joycons as controllers in tabletop mode.

So, basically, they took to heart the portable aspect, as it should be.

May dip, not happy with their lackluster effort on WiiU.

That doesn't even look like a real shot of the game running on Switch, it can't look that poor. Also those off screen promos of game systems/displays are never actually running the game because the lighting fucks with it.

Looks like they badly shopped a screenshot and the resizing fucked it. Wait for a direct feed one.

pbsapeer

Banned
Dammit. Don't care for the journey so not bothered that that is missing.
Being able to play a game and pick the console up and carry on is very appealing...
not sure if I'll get 2 copies but the switch might just sway it. Aslong as it consoles the same as the PS4 version I'm happy. I did not like how transitioning from PSvita to PS3/PS4 was so different.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The details sounds actually quite nice. Only Journey is missing and that's due to not being built on Frostbite. But it has FUT, Icons (formely known as Legends) and split joycons support and something called Switch Kick-off (I guess the mode supporting the split joycons and tabletop mode). Now only if we would see also some footage of it.

Plum

Glad to see that EA aren't completely stupid about this. Really hope this runs well and looks semi-decent (screenshot does not give me hope of that, though) because they're making a lot of good moves here.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Ah, I saw the PR now. 1080p docked and 720p in handheld mode is great. And it really sounds like a custom made Fifa for Switch. I'm tentatively hyped until we see gameplay footage.

MrS

Banned
I'll eat crow because I was sure it wouldn't come with Ultimate Team and said as much on numerous occasions.

Top Bottom