• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe people believe Capcom is going to release another fighting game after the colossal goatfuck that was SFV.
MvC3 started production before SFIV did. That's how these things go. Capcom doesn't make a fighting game, wait to see how it does, and then make something else. The company is always working on multiple projects, assumes success, and then cancels games that seem like a bad idea. For the first time in ages, Capcom seems to get that SFV underperformed because of mistakes they made, not because of consumer disinterest.

Skab

Didn't Niitsuma just hard confirm that MVC4 is not a thing? What stirred all this back up?

well you see

akuma was revealed for sf5

then ono said they never actually said akuma was going to be playable in sf5, and that whatever theyre announcing will "betray our expectations"

so obviously marvel

Onemic

well you see

akuma was revealed for sf5

then ono said they never actually said akuma was going to be playable in sf5, and that whatever theyre announcing will "betray our expectations"

so obviously marvel

Exactly.

Marvel 4 is happening people

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Again, because you delusional jackasses don't seem to understand.

Licensing just Iron Man would cost more then licensing every single character did for Marvel 3. This holds true for ever marvel character now.

Marvel 4 would literally have the largest budget in video gaming history and it would be 95% licensing fees.

Of course Capcom could do some other franchise vs. Capcom, or a Capcom All-Stars thing, but it is 100%, absolutely positively not Marvel 4.

Dahbomb

Why do people want marvel 4 so badly anyway

What's wrong with Marvel 3?
Man it's been 6 years of the game and they aren't going to make a massive patch to the game this late in its cycle without pissing off a lot of players. Better use of the license is to just make a Marvel 4.

Wouldn't have been an issue if the game was supported like SF4 with updates and CPT events, could have lasted another 4 years but the landscape of fighting games have changed a lot since when it came out and we are even on new consoles.

I would be very happy if they patched the game, added new content and added current gen + PC versions of Marvel 3. A lot of people would be but that's probably not the most efficient use of resources. Well Marvel 4 isn't a great use of resources either but it's more enticing to Sony/Marvel than re-releasing an old game so there is more potential for money hats.

JeTmAn81

Again, because you delusional jackasses don't seem to understand.

Licensing just Iron Man would cost more then licensing every single character did for Marvel 3. This holds true for ever marvel character now.

Marvel 4 would literally have the largest budget in video gaming history and it would be 95% licensing fees.

Of course Capcom could do some other franchise vs. Capcom, or a Capcom All-Stars thing, but it is 100%, absolutely positively not Marvel 4.

Why would it have to be so expensive? It's not like every licensed usage of a Marvel character carries the same flat fees. These things are negotiated and Marvel has no motivation to charge so much for licenses that the game and therefore profits couldn't be made. Not to mention the Vs. games are probably the best received Marvel property games ever. It will happen.

Dlent

There's never been a better time for Fate/Unlimited Codes 2, Comcap. No one will blame you for choosing the cheaper license.

smurfx

get some go again
got another ps4 and bought sf5 today. hopefully i can get some games in with some of you after i practice for a while and get used to the hori pad. don't really like the cross d pad but i don't feel like getting the madcatz pad.

edit: oh they updated the d pad on the madcatz pad. anybody own it? how does it compare to the sf4 and sfxt pad?

Dahbomb

Since Marvel 3 released, these things have happened at Marvel studios:

The first Avengers movie released
The second Avengers movie released
Guardians of the Galaxy
Winter Soldier and Civil War
Dr Strange
Antman
Spider Man appeared in a non Sony movie
Marvel was bought by Disney
Marvel put out 4 movies that crossed a billion and another 7 that crossed half a billion
Marvel launched their Netflix TV series with Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and the upcoming Iron Fist series.

It's a completely different ballgame now. Marvel can do whatever they want. They can probably upfront the entire development cost for Marvel 4 with Disney's paycheck if they wanted to. At the same time, Disney can probably buy out Capcom at this point.

Sayad

I can't believe people believe Capcom is going to release another fighting game after the colossal goatfuck that was SFV.
If you look at how bare bones the game is, and how much it sold I doubt they lost money on SFV. Not meeting sales expectation they put out for shareholders doesn't necessarily mean they're losing money, lots of bigger games that obviously cost more were considered successful by breaking one million sales. And that's not counting the shit tones of DLC they're still making, Capcom would have abandoned ship months ago if those weren't paying for themselves.

NEO0MJ

So, there's this local event happening next month, thought I'd drop it here for those interested.

gccmajors.com/register

Gonna try and join this year, even though I expect to be double eliminated two times in a row. I'm such a fraud ;-;

Or maybe, you know... Ono was trying to make a joke and he's bad at jokes and it didn't work and now you are all talking about MVC4?

No, there has to be more to it. Open your eyes, man!

shaowebb

Since Marvel 3 released, these things have happened at Marvel studios:

The first Avengers movie released
The second Avengers movie released
Guardians of the Galaxy
Winter Soldier and Civil War
Dr Strange
Antman
Spider Man appeared in a non Sony movie
Marvel was bought by Disney
Marvel put out 4 movies that crossed a billion and another 7 that crossed half a billion
Marvel launched their Netflix TV series with Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and the upcoming Iron Fist series.

It's a completely different ballgame now. Marvel can do whatever they want. They can probably upfront the entire development cost for Marvel 4 with Disney's paycheck if they wanted to. At the same time, Disney can probably buy out Capcom at this point.

Not only all of that but the landscape in the comic book world has completely changed as well.

• Kamala Khan is a popular character now.
  • Cyclops is dead
  • EVERYONE is riding someone elses coat tails now...Falcon is Cap. America, Thor's girlfriend is Thor, ten billion Spidey characters, Kitty Pryde is Star Lord, etc.
  • New Iron Man is a tweenage girl. I think Tony might be dead. Didn't keep up.
  • Old school x-men are now in the present disgusted with what they became
  • Wolverine is dead.
  • Gwen Stacy is everyone. Deadpool, Spiderman...etc.
  • Squirrel girl is some insanely manic comedy comic with bad art and it sells.

Its a whole new world out there. Comics are different, heroes are different, many characters are dead, and the cinemaverse has evolved. Hell Black Panther and The Inhumans are even fast rising stars now.

shaowebb

how can anyone believe marvel 4 is real?

I dont. Whatever they're teasing, I dont even expect it to involve a license other than one Capcom owns already. Folks are just hungry is all. Tag+ assist fighters in 2d are pretty hard to come by these days. The FGC adores them and no one ever makes em.

I'd kind of dig it if all the major fighting developers tried to create franchises just for that genre of fighter. Closest we got was French Bread and EXAMU doing assist based fighters. No tag though.

pizzacat

Banned
Not only all of that but the landscape in the comic book world has completely changed as well.

• Kamala Khan is a popular character now.
  • Cyclops is dead
  • EVERYONE is riding someone elses coat tails now...Falcon is Cap. America, Thor's girlfriend is Thor, ten billion Spidey characters, Kitty Pryde is Star Lord, etc.
  • New Iron Man is a tweenage girl. I think Tony might be dead. Didn't keep up.
  • Old school x-men are now in the present disgusted with what they became
  • Wolverine is dead.
  • Gwen Stacy is everyone. Deadpool, Spiderman...etc.
  • Squirrel girl is some insanely manic comedy comic with bad art and it sells.

Its a whole new world out there. Comics are different, heroes are different, many characters are dead, and the cinemaverse has evolved. Hell Black Panther and The Inhumans are even fast rising stars now.
They've been forcing Inhumans for years and people are still not buying into it, especially with what happened in the latest X comic

Sayad

So, there's this local event happening next month, thought I'd drop it here for those interested.

gccmajors.com/register

Gonna try and join this year, even though I expect to be double eliminated two times in a row. I'm such a fraud ;-;
Made it to SRK! \o/

Never worry about that, if it get good publicity there should be enough Smash 4 players. :D

Don't really know much about Smash community over here, but for GG, KoF, BB and SFV there's going to be a lot of causal sessions. Absolute worst case scenario, the event location is nice and there should be a lot to do in that area beside playing video games.

If we can get The Last Guardian and FFXV, I don't think Marvel 4 is impossible.
I think we're getting one too, eventually, but this really doesn't look like an MvC4 teaser.

Sayah

Why do people want marvel 4 so badly anyway

What's wrong with Marvel 3?

I don't really care if it's MvC4, Nintendo vs. Capcom, Namco vs. Capcom, Capcom All Stars, what have you, but I really would love another game akin to MvC3. I gave up on MvC3 because of its horrible netcode and character imbalances that were never addressed via patch.

Assuming they want a fighting game, who are they gonna call? Aksys?

They'd have Netherrealm make an official Marvel vs DC fighting game. Which, regardless of how good it is, it would be the best selling fighting game of all time.

They'd also slap a sticker on the box that says: "featuring Scorpion from the Mortal Kombat series".

I-hate-u

Namco has a lot on their plate, and for a dedicated Marvel fighter, obviously NR won't work.

Regardless, Marvel HAS experience working with Capcom since the 90s on fighting games and crossovers. Why would they throw all that out of the window?

NEO0MJ

They'd have Netherrealm make an official Marvel vs DC fighting game. Which, regardless of how good it is, it would be the best selling fighting game of all time.

They'd also slap a sticker on the box that says: "featuring Scorpion from the Mortal Kombat series".

This is the most believable scenario presented so far. I'd sooner believe Marvel would allow the development of a game with their rivals than one with Capcom.

I gave up on MvC3 because of its horrible netcode and character imbalances that were never addressed via patch.

Isn't an imbalanced game a staple of the series, where there's not many "tournament viable" characters. I wouldn't hold my breath tbh.

I would love cross play with PC though, that would do it for me.

Pompadour

How much does Marvel hates Capcom damn?

There's no evidence that Marvel hates Capcom and after UMvC3 had been out for a few years people from Marvel made comments that they have a ton of fans of the Vs. series employed there.

People assume Marvel Vs. Capcom 4 won't happen because:
  • Capcom isn't as healthy as it was going into last generation. We only got Street Fighter V when we did because Sony partially funded the game.
  • The Marvel license, presumably, has been much more expensive since UMvC3 when several of their films dominate the box offices every year. Even if Capcom wants to make the game and Marvel is open to making the game the actual process is very expensive for Capcom.
  • This is a minor point but the most iconic characters wouldn't be in MvC4 presumably due to Marvel barring the X-Men from other games. I'm sure Capcom would still do a MvC4 without Wolverine, Storm, Magneto, and Sentinel but it would be very odd that the most Marvelous MvC characters wouldn't be in the game.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Seeing people talk about Marvel 4...
mqunTrN.png

They said it wasn't possible, we'll see when next year comes around, or maybe next week...

LIGHT THE SIGNAL HAUNTS!

cdvOdwj.png

Ryce

I wasn't going to share this, but enough beating around the bush: a few other GAFers and myself were told about a Marvel vs. Capcom 4 announcement at PSX. I didn't think it would happen for all of the obvious reasons, but there you go. We'll know for certain in eight days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom