• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | August 12-18 | No Money All Problems

Omega

Banned
TriForce talks way too much.

You wouldn't even realize there's 4-5 other people on the show if you weren't looking at the screen

Onemic

So exactly why hasn't the FGC gone esports yet? You would think they'd be one of the first considering how old the competitive scene in FG's has been compared to SC or Dota.

Busaiku

I played BlazBlue for years. It has some nice stuff, but the game had it's own speed and presentation issues that the main fighting game audience couldn't get past. UNiB didn't have it quite like BlazBlue did. Let's be honest about that.

You sure?
To me, it just looks like Melty Blood underwatever, wearing weighted clothes, at 100x gravity.

Shouta

i take back what i said

That's the big issue with trying to work out a room deal with a hotel. It's likely not very hard to work out a deal for the rooms but if you don't meet the quota, you can end up getting penalized for it. With the way the FGC is currently, you can't really push getting room deals like that, especially since most people pile into them to save money or to stretch what they have.

So exactly why hasn't the FGC gone esports yet? You would think they'd be one of the first considering how old the competitive scene in FG's has been compared to SC or Dota.

people don't like to think outside the box. They think " o pc games can sell all these computer parts" and that console "o we only have controllers". Nobody forgets to mention that the majority of LoL players play on shitty ass 5-7 year old computers.

MLG tried to get capcom games but capcom said no.

You sure?
To me, it just looks like Melty Blood underwatever, wearing weighted clothes, at 100x gravity.
I think there must be like ten people in the world who knows what good Melty looks like. I have zero clue. Mostly due to the fact that GG takes up a vast amount of my oldschool youtube time. All I know is that UNiB looks a lot flashier and more dynamic than the anime we usually see here in the states. I have a feeling that when I look closer it'll end up looking like P4A, but with a lot more glitz, though lol.

Omega

Banned
I keep clicking, hoping that maybe Kazunoko's playing some Guilty Gear.
But nope.

same here.

I never played Guilty or watched it, so that was the first time I ever watched it and I was hooked. He was streaming it a lot this past weekend, now it's just LoL...

that monster PC all for nothing

kirblar

people don't like to think outside the box. They think " o pc games can sell all these computer parts" and that console "o we only have controllers". Nobody forgets to mention that the majority of LoL players play on shitty ass 5-7 year old computers.

MLG tried to get capcom games but capcom said no.
MLG probably isn't going to be around in 10 years. Their model hasn't seemed sustainable.

This is not a "if you build it, they will come" thing. You have to figure out how to monetize FGs, and there are a lot of structural roadblocks to that. Fanatiq's latest blog post actually gives a great look into how LoL-type games soften the impact of losing. FGs don't.

Ironically Fchamp just said this pretty much

Gootecks is 100% correct. The FGC market shouldn't just be focus on console gamer but rather the young adult demographic.

Look at EG and Papa Johns and etc etc.

MLG probably isn't going to be around in 10 years. Their model hasn't seemed sustainable.

But it will be here for 3-5 years and thats enough for Capcom games to build traction

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
As much as I don't like MLG, I like TriForce's idea about creating a league, points system and cross-promotion idea for TOs.

Kalamari

The goal of the FGC shouldn't be to become big like Esports, the goal should be to grow in a sustainable manner and carve it's own niche.

Everyone knows Riot and Valve are spending tons of money promoting their games. I wouldn't exactly call that sustainable.

Edit: UltrachenTV incoming!

http://www.twitch.tv/ultrachentv

As much as I don't like MLG, I like TriForce's idea about creating a league, points system and cross-promotion idea for TOs.

Same, I am all for a proper league to be used in the fgc, I didn't like some of the mlg rules and how they did things like commercial after every fight, but if done right it could be really good.

Dahbomb

Riot and Valve spend tons of money because they continuously get more money from their games. DOTA 2 is going to be around for 5 more years at the minimum.

I think Fanatiq is sort of right on what needs to be done for fighting games when it comes to not only getting more people to play but to keep them playing. Someone is more likely to keep playing if they got loot at the end of each game or some in game currency they can use to buy cosmetics.

Also as much as I hate to say it... some fighting game company is going to figure out how to exploit the gambling addiction tendencies of gamers. Valve has sort of already figured this out with their hat/chest/key system. And gambling is way more prevalent in the FGC.

Top Bottom