• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 29 - Jan 4 | 2015: An Esports Odyssey

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mike Z laid out the pros and cons of he game rather well although I felt he wasn't really writing from the perspective of a designer considering how the article starts off. Or maybe that's just his writing style? Anyway it kinda came off as "old man yells at cloud"-ish until he got to the pros and cons.
Man, you had me excited to read about Mike Z not writing from a designers perspective, until I got to that last sentence and realized oh he ended up sounding like what I didn't want anyways.

Mike Z did a blog thing on Xrd if anyone wants more designer opinions
http://mikezsez.blogspot.com/2015/01/why-im-not-playing-ggxrd.html

I enjoyed this article, too; enjoyed it more than Sirlin's, for what it's worth, but both are good reads.

I still enjoy Xrd even if it does take steps back from Accent Core. I don't mind the Yellow Roman Cancel stuff, and I'm indifferent to Danger Time and the Hell Fire mechanic. One thing that I particularly enjoyed from the article was Mike Z discussing the easier inputs not being across the board.

Because fuck the Pot Buster input.

I still echo your sentiment. When I played I-No, and found out that her Chem Love special was changed to a quarter circle back motion, I found myself enjoying the character much more, but not every character has these input changes. Heck, even May's command throw got changed from a half circle back to a half circle back+forward motion, which baffles me. Some got easier, some got more difficult.

I'd settle for Potemkin Buster being turned into quarter circle back+dust, same with May's Overhead Kiss. These changes may yet happen, but I won't hold my breath. Until then, just gotta work on that muscle memory?

Top Bottom