• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 26 - Feb 1 | Zaibatschu

HardRojo

KBR is up.

EDIT: It's really fun seeing a team big bodies win.

KBR is a bit worried of J2 Jin I believe, he took the tournament last week in Bolivia and a rematch in the Grand Finals is the likeliest scenario. I'm Peruvian so of course I'll be rotting for my fellow countrymen and I actually know most of the people who went to the tournament :p

vulva

Now that I'm home and watching the SF5 footage again and not just on my phone I can comment a bit more.

Animations look a bit jank in some places for sure and I don't love that some of the combos seem to move at half speed (not sure if this is design or just some engine optimization issues). As for the general gameplay looking slow, I'm not really sure yet. This video seems to only exist in 30fps so that already throws me off a bit, along with it being done by two players who don't really know the game yet. Not saying that explains or excuses everything by any stretch, but it's hard to be certain if the gameplay's slowed down intentionally, if this is a result of it being played 'wrong' or unoptimized or possibly both.

The chun-li fireball wall was kinda cool, I thought, but I wonder what they've designed in to the game to deal with that. Like maybe Ryu's tatsu is fast enough to punish the fireballs or has to be predicted with an early tatsu based on patterns. Maybe Ryu has some other tool that hasn't been shown etc.

In its current state, I don't think the game looks amazing or, honestly, all that interesting but I'm curious to see what we still don't know yet.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Damn, y'all made this SFV footage sound like it was two characters hugging in molasses. I don't think it's slow at all, and the gameplay can only get faster. Even if it was super (Marvel) fast, that's not really the greatest look either because it can make a game look intimidating.

Damn, y'all made this SFV footage sound like it was two characters hugging in molasses. I don't think it's slow at all, and the gameplay can only get faster. Even if it was super (Marvel) fast, that's not really the greatest look either because it can make a game look intimidating.

Did we watch the same footage? Because that was molasses.

Skab

Yeah I don't get it either. The overall speed seems to be similar to SF4, and I think Ryu is just being made a slower, harder hitting character in general in this one. Paying more attention to Chun and the game seems fine.

I'm holding judgement until we see more of it. Different characters may be faster, and obviously it's still early.

Imm0rt4l

My main issue in sfv right now is with ryu. I don't even like the way a lot of his moves look, I like the detail in the animation, but he moves very cumbersomely. Chun on the other hand has all the finesse

I think its looks slow as well. Not the pace, the moves and animations. Its looks clunky for SF. Imo of course. Its mostly ryu that is bugging me.

I said the same thing before. We shall see how it turns out in a year.

hitsugi

My main issue in sfv right now is with ryu. I don't even like the way a lot of his moves look, I like the detail in the animation, but he moves very cumbersomely. Chun on the other hand has all the finesse

It could be intentional to represent Ryu as some kind of hard hitting powerhouse - the emphasis seems to be there and might make sense of how he appears to be clunky.

...still looks weird though

Devid905

I recall Ono saying at Capcom Cup is that every character in SFV would play completely unique and different than each other. And what we saw in the exhibition video is a prime example of that.

Manbig

I said it in the Tekken thread and I'll say it here, Hwo and Law's damage seem a bit too high. It appears to be from Launcher + first hit just like it was in Tag 2. Hope they mess with the scaling more in the future updates.

Sayah

I said it in the Tekken thread and I'll say it here, Hwo and Law's damage seem a bit too high. It appears to be from Launcher + first hit just like it was in Tag 2. Hope they mess with the scaling more in the future updates.

I'm sure they'll fix it. Claudio's rage art got nerfed too.

#niggawemadeit

B8seZRaCIAASndT.jpg:large

Managed to watch that SF5 footage. I'm guessing fireballs might have some durability now. Ryu when V-triggered went through Chun's fireball and hit her. I wonder what happens if V-trigger spam from Chun and Ryu, who would win out, because that would depend on how many fireballs Ryu's hadouken can eat up. Also Ryu's fireball does a crap load of damage when it landed, zoning will be extremely strong if they keep the mechanics the way they are.

On the topic of speed, I think Chun actually walks backward fine, looks close to her SF4 speed. Ryu looks like he got a lot slower but tankier though. There seems to be a lot of animation, so I wonder if it is what makes normals look relatively slower in this case. Though I do notice there is a trend every single time game footage is released that it always looks slower or it takes too long. I remember back when people said the kill times in MVC3 were too long lol.

Damage overall looks higher in SF5 than SF4 though. Some or Ryu's two hit combos and normals just did lots of damage. Ryu's normal throw looks like it did more than SF4 Rufus throw damage (though that is kind of hard to compare).

hitsugi

mbpm1

I was making a comment that much of the same criticisms - "oh the game's too slow/clunky/I like the older game better" is easily applicable to another recent example in Smash 4. And Smash 4 has been out for a few months and people are still not sure if it's really "slow" at all - just different.

The difference is Smash 4 looked faster than Brawl.

Kimosabae

Banned
What Count is probably referring to are the early "alpha" images of SF4 that are basically unrecognizable by comparison to that video.. I don't think any footage of it in motion exists but everyone's favorite site has a compilation of screenshots:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/dec/01/alpha-version-screen-shots-street-fighter-iv/

I don't ever remember Capcom showing those images prior to the game's release. The first-look images we got were from EGM and they look pretty much identical to what we see today.

Top Bottom