• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 6-12 | Nothing Happened HD Remix

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of January 6th to the 12th, 2014.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

ibho0KXOwccuNU.jpg

BlazBlue: Chronophantasma [ PS3 ] [ NA: March 25 ]
  • The latest iteration of BlazBlue finally makes it's way west after being released in arcades and retail in Japan in 2013.
Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign- [ ARC | PS3 | PS4 ] [ TBA ]
  • After getting the licensing rights back to the Guilty Gear franchise, Arc System Works presents the newest installment into the series featuring beautiful 3D models instead of sprites.
Soul Calibur: Lost Swords [ PS3 ] [ TBA ]
  • Namco creates a F2P, single-player only installment into the Soul Calibur franchise, focusing around weapon collecting and crafting.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U [ 3DS | Wii U ] [ TBA ]
  • The much anticipated sequel to Brawl brings the franchise to mobile platforms, and newcomers to the franchise such as Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager and Rosalina & Luma.
Ultra Street Fighter IV [ PC | PS3 | 360 ] [ Console Digital Upgrade: June | PC Digital Upgrade and Retail: August ]
  • Capcom presents what is intended to be the final version of SFIV, featuring 5 new characters and multiple new mechanics.
Yatagarasu: Attack on Cataclysm [ PC ] [ February ]
  • The kickstarted and localized update to Yatagarasu offers new features, commentators, characters and more.
Yatagarasu: Legend of Raven [ PS4 | VITA | X1 ] [ February ]
  • The indie fighting game sensation from former SNK employees finds it's way to non-PC platforms in 2014 as Yatagarasu: Legend of Raven.

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

Defend The North [ Thread ] [ Saturday ] [ 1PM EDT | 10PM PDT ]

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

iI89w1IleXvhs.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at the FGC's resident lawyer, UltraDavid!

What fighting games do you currently play, what are your all time favourites and why?
Currently playing SF4, Injustice, and SFxT. Wish I was playing Divekick too but nobody here wants to play that anymore :( My all time favorites are Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Street Fighter III: Third Strike.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
My favorite mechanics from the current crop of fighting games are from Skullgirls, Injustice, and Divekick. I love custom assists in Skullgirls because of their freedom and creativity. I think the wager/breaker system in Injustice is the best combo breaker mechanic ever since it's usable only once per game, usually costs meter, has real mixups associated with it, and can't be used against every attack. I also love interactables in Injustice because I think they emphasize space control and awareness in really interesting ways. And I love the deceptively simple movement and attack angles of Divekick, I think they maximize the things I love most about fighting games (spacing and overall strategy) and minimize the things I don't (execution, combos, and little mixups).
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
I loved SF2 from the first day I saw it. I didn't play in the arcades really, started more on SNES, but I always loved it. At the time I didn't understand that it was a strategy game, I think I just liked taking out some aggression on my friends. But then in college I started to understand that fighting games can have really deep and interesting strategy, and that's what's hooked me ever since.

I used to play RTS and RPGs and whatever random non-FPS action games, but took about a decade off from them. Started playing other games again in just the last couple months.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
My favorite fighting game character is Q. Robot/cyborg/mask type who plays like a defensive/grappler hybrid = yay!
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
I actually don't have a set style. Some of the characters I play are big) grappler types (ST Honda, 3S Q/Hugo, SF4 Zangief, SFxT Zangief/Kuma, MvC3 Hulk/Haggar/Thor, Injustice Bane), some are defensive or trap types (ST Honda, 3S Q, SF4 Dhalsim, Injustice Lex), some are nimble weird types (ST Dictator, 3S Twelve, SF4 Hakan, Divekick Sensei), and some are more normal default types (SF4 Dan, SFxT Nina). Some are low tier, some are mid, some are top. Some are low execution, some are high execution.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
I don't really like answering questions about what I think my biggest strengths are because I'm actually a huge narcissist and I usually try to keep that side of myself a secret. But to be frank, I think my biggest strengths as a player are that I'm really really smart, I have an awesome memory for game minutiae and human tendencies, and I can think quickly, critically, and far ahead. I feel like I'm way way above average in all of that. I think I'm a little above average in seeing the space between characters. I'm a little above average in mental reaction time. I'm probably only about average in patience, sometimes below average. But I'm wayyyyy way below average, definitely in the bottom percentiles, of execution and physical reaction time. That's by far my weakest point.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
The best moments of my fighting game career were probably all in the relatively short period of time in 2008-2009 between when I first had lots of free time to play after graduation and when I had to retire. I won and placed high in a bunch of SF4 tournaments in one of the most competitive regions in the world. Alex Valle & Combofiend wanted me on their teams for team tournaments. I developed a lot of what would become foundational SF4 Zangief & Dhalsim tech. I helped create SF4-style option select-heavy play. Etc.

There are two worst moments. The first was in 2009-2010 when I began displaying signs of cervical radiculopathy like major pain, numbness, tingling, and loss of control in my neck, back, arms, and hands. Having to come to terms with no longer being able to properly do something you love and are good at is not easy.

The second was at Evo 2012. I found out a week in advance that I'd be playing Juicebox first round, so I studied up. I already felt that Dan beat Abel but I still that matchup hard against ETR and 801 Strider until I was confident I knew everything about the matchup and strongly believed my character had the advantage. I watched a lot of vids of Juicebox and developed a gameplan that I believed would work well. I was totally ready to go! We get to Evo, we sit down to play, and my hands are like someone else's. They're numb and alternately not doing what I ask or even actively doing things I didn't ask for. I'm sure Juicebox was playing well too, not like this was one-sided, but when I realized my hands had failed I got really flustered and guessed wrong a lot anyway. I got scraped. My next matchup was some dude using Boxer. I lost, and the way I lost was that he just had pixels left, I had 30% life left, he woke up with Boxer U1, I tried to do ex dp to beat it and win, and I came out with cr mk and got hit for the full ultra and died. Then my KoF13 match was up and I lost in the same kinds of ways. I walked out of the hall and didn't come back for hours. That was the last tournament I have ever entered and so it will remain.
What do you want from future fighting games
I want future fighting games to knock it off with comeback mechanics like xfactor in Marvel 3 and more meter & kill potential for second & third characters in KoF. I want them to minimize stupid simple mixup mechanics like KI "combos." I want them to avoid system wide execution requirements like long combos, very character specific combos, and just frames. I want them to avoid complexity for complexity's sake. In other words, I want fewer roadblocks between me and actually playing a strategy game.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
Rhapsody should be next. Because I went to the most recent page of the fighting game thread, went whirrrr with my mouse wheel a few times, and that's who came up on my screen.

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Gootecks & Mike Ross Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of Cross Counter Live rises a new show from Gootecks and Mike Ross which will cover.. who knows what.
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Description needed.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback Season 4 [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

None at the moment.​

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Level|Up and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.
Additionally, if you want to really get involved, you may want to check out the various OTs for specific games:
GAF isn't the only FG community in town though. Here are a whole bunch of other FG communities across the internet that may be of interest:
  • 8WayRun - Soul Calibur franchise community
  • DOACentral - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Dream Cancel - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more US-centric
  • Dustloop - Forums/community for Arc System Works-developed games
  • Eventhubs - Frequently updated news blog, resource and forums for all things fighting games
  • FreeStepDodge - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Homing Cancel - Arcana Heart community
  • iPlaywinner - Large fighting game news site and resource, and the home to Teamsp00ky and iPlaywinner
  • Jet Upper - UK-centric news source and community
  • Mayonaka Midnight - Persona 4 Arena community and resource
  • Melty Bread - Melty Blood community
  • Mizuumi - A resource for various "poverty" games
  • Orochinagi - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more EU-centric
  • Reddit Fighters - Reddit's own fighting game community subreddit
  • Shoryuken - Mainly 2D, Capcom game centric hub, and probably one of, if not the largest FG community on the internet
  • Skullheart - fan Skullgirls community and resource made official
  • TekkenZaibatsu - Tekken franchise community
  • Test Your Might - Mortal Kombat and Injustice community and resource
  • UKFGC - UK-centric news source and community
  • Smash Boards - The largest Smash Bros. Community™
  • VFDC - Virtua Fighter franchise community site

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or PM me to let me know.

I don't really like answering questions about what I think my biggest strengths are because I'm actually a huge narcissist and I usually try to keep that side of myself a secret. But to be frank, I think my biggest strengths as a player are that I'm really really smart, I have an awesome memory for game minutiae and human tendencies, and I can think quickly, critically, and far ahead. I feel like I'm way way above average in all of that.

Well played.

Dahbomb

I want them to avoid system wide execution requirements like long combos, very character specific combos, and just frames.
I agree with all this but I thought that character specific combos were generally unintended features of fighting games? Meaning since balance wasn't done for combos for all sizes and weights it leads to combos that were not discovered by the development team. Since they are situational, they usually don't get patched unless it's a severe case like the Wolverine Berserker Rage infinite on large characters (was patched out).

I think most of this simply stems from having a fighting game with absurd differences in character sizes. Like MVC2 where you had giants like Sentinel and Juggernaut while also having midget characters like Servbots. Only way to really fix this is to have more uniform character sizes which for some people is more boring.

UltraDavid's last tournament story BibleThump

Also, with tomorrow starting school means less time for fighting games, but it also means I can see if I could feasibly make it out to SCR.

wait a minute

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U [ 3DS | Wii U ] [ TBA ]
  • The much anticipated sequel to Brawl brings the franchise to mobile platforms, and newcomers to the franchise such as Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager and Rosaline & Luma.

how long has this been in the OP

also lol at an announcement of an announcement

Viscant's quote on the UFGTX MvCX page is great:

This is going to be a really fun tournament due to the variety and no Vergil. The person who’s going to win this tournament is going to have to play at least 10 different non Vergil characters at a high level. And no Vergil. A normal Marvel tournament tests how strong your best team is, but now we’ll see who has the best plan B, C and D and Vergil won’t be on any of those! And what I really like best about this tournament? No excuses! And no Vergil.

Clawww

UltraDavid has great opinions on what makes for a good fighting game.

I want to discuss that whole subject, actually.

To what extent do you guys think execution should matter in a fighting game? I prefer strategy over masturbatory combos myself, but I still think execution is important. What's the right level of execution requirements in a fighter? Very broad question, I know.

One thing I like about at least a moderate execution barrier is that it really plays into clutch, tense moments--when the adrenaline is flowing and everything is on the line, who can keep his or her head cool, stay in full control, and react fast to execute something tight? That's a big deal to me, and as much I value strategy and non-execution stuff in fighters, it's not complete without elements like the discipline, presence of mind, and risk/reward that are inherent in difficult combos/actions.

I guess SF4 feels alright in terms of execution requirements--there's advanced, precise stuff, but it isn't over the top and a little bit goes a long way.

kirblar

To what extent do you guys think execution should matter in a fighting game? I prefer strategy over masturbatory myself, but I still think execution is important. What's the right level of execution requirements in a fighter? Very broad question, I know.

One thing I like about at least a moderate execution barrier is that it really plays into clutch, tense moments--when the adrenaline is flowing and everything is on the line, who can keep his or her head cool, stay in full control, and react fast to execute something tight? That's a big deal to me, and as much I value strategy and non-execution stuff in fighters, it's not complete without elements like discipline and risk/reward that are inherent in difficult combos/actions.

I guess SF4 feels alright in terms of execution requirements--there's advanced, precise stuff, but it isn't over the top and a little bit goes a long way.
SF4's stuff is hidden away in an area where it's not even necessary to play the game casually. Same with UMvC3.

Dahbomb

Watch people forget to ban Doom.... for the 3rd time in a row as far as character ban tournaments go.

I would honestly just collude to ban as many of the top tier characters as possible.

Justin and ChrisG would have the best chance to win this if they enter.

Keits

Developer
I could win this, since no one bans Firebrand and Shuma-Gorath.

Keits, will UMvCX grand finals be given a prime stream time? I don't want it given the Injustice treatment or something. ;)

I won't have an accurate stream schedule for a while, but the plan is to stream a LOT of it. As much as possible.

Colluding is hard guys, as you have NO IDEA who will be in your pool. You much choose at time of signup.

Clawww

Watch people forget to ban Doom.... for the 3rd time in a row as far as character ban tournaments go.

I would honestly just collude to ban as many of the top tier characters as possible.

Justin and ChrisG would have the best chance to win this if they enter.

It might be nice for those kooky, crazy low-tier character specialists

To what extent do you guys think execution should matter in a fighting game? I prefer strategy over masturbatory myself, but I still think execution is important. What's the right level of execution requirements in a fighter? Very broad question, I know.

One thing I like about at least a moderate execution barrier is that it really plays into clutch, tense moments--when the adrenaline is flowing and everything is on the line, who can keep his or her head cool, stay in full control, and react fast to execute something tight? That's a big deal to me, and as much I value strategy and non-execution stuff in fighters, it's not complete without elements like discipline and risk/reward that are inherent in difficult combos/actions.

SF4 is terrible in this regard. Links all over the place.

The best execution requirement is a lack of practiced combos, where your muscles are tested to adapt on the fly to every situation. Smash Bros is the only game that does this, which is why it is close to the perfect fighting game in terms of mechanics.

Combos should never be more than 5-6 inputs max. Long combos aren't just irritating to learn, they are boring to get hit by and to perform. Chains are better than links in general.

isn't justin in advantage at this? lol... He can always play his ironfist, strange, spencer team haha if his wolverine, frank, nova, vergil get ban. Or even go back to wesker if needed.

I won't have an accurate stream schedule for a while, but the plan is to stream a LOT of it. As much as possible.

Colluding is hard guys, as you have NO IDEA who will be in your pool. You much choose at time of signup.
Why do this over bans during the match? It seems like it would lead to more interesting sets.

Dahbomb

My guess is that people are going to make bans based on their pool assignment. IMO it really depends on if people can see their pool assignment in advance.

If someone has ChrisG in their pool you KNOW 3 people are going to collude to ban Morrigan, Doom and Vergil. If two top players are in a pool then they are going to end up banning each other's main character.

Edit: Never mind I just read that you won't know who would be in your pools. This complicates things. In that case a lot of characters are going to get a pass because most people are going to ban the same 2-3 characters so there will be a ton of overlap.

can't wait until Zero/Vergil/Doom/Morrigan/etc. all the way down to some 16th character are all banned, with no overlaps, somehow

Keits

Developer
Why do this over bans during the match? It seems like it would lead to more interesting sets.

Because I don't have all god damn day to wait for you to stare at your opponent while taking 10 minutes deciding who to ban based on what you know about them.

This is faster and, imo, 1000x more interesting that just getting rid of my known opponent's gameplan.

My guess is that people are going to make bans based on their pool assignment. IMO it really depends on if people can see their pool assignment in advance.

Again, you choose your ban at signup. You will have zero clue who will be in your pool.

Clawww

It's going to be hilarious when someone really good avoids a ban and we get to see that character on every team.

My bet is on some nice assists making the cut...Hell yeah I'll take that Haggar for lariat even tho I don't play that fool

Although up to 16 characters can be banned in a pool, because the picks have to be made before you know who's in the pool I expect the ban lists to probably cap out around 6-7 characters, maybe less. Might even be a pool of Just Vergil and Doom bans.

Would be kinda cool too if everyone went into a pool expecting someone to ban Vergil, and no one does.

Clawww

Yeah, keits, the way you've set it up is really clever. Just the dilemma of everyone wanting to ban the same few characters already makes it hilarious/exciting.

Kalamari

I think it was James Chen who said that execution is the easiest part of fighting games, and I think this is mostly true. Sure, it does create a barrier to entry to many new players, but I think it is a necessary evil due to the fact that fighting games have so much depth strategy-wise.

I don't mind execution barriers in games, I just abhor one frame links.

Omega

Banned
ST and 3s? I knew you were my favorite commentator for a reason

also, isn't title misleading? That EMP/Watson nonsense

It's going to be hilarious when someone really good avoids a ban and we get to see that character on every team.

My bet is on some nice assists making the cut...Hell yeah I'll take that Haggar for lariat even tho I don't play that fool
I bet Viscant will get to use his Vanilla team. No one cares about those three - lol!

Dahbomb

can't wait until Zero/Vergil/Doom/Morrigan/etc. all the way down to some 16th character are all banned, with no overlaps, somehow
That's really improbable... it's probably going to be mostly Zero and Vergil bans. Smart people would ban Doom, that would crush like 90% of teams. I could see some Morrigan and Phoenix bans, maybe Wolverine, Magneto and Nova bans but anything outside from that makes no sense to ban. Like why would you ban a Dormammu if Doom is 90% likely to be banned? Why would you ban Dante if Zero is banned? Most of these characters are manageable if they aren't with their counterparts. Hell I would even say that banning Morrigan over Doom is a waste of ban.

The "best" case scenario for a true low tier Marvel tournament would be if the following characters were banned:

Zero, Vergil, Doom, Magneto, Morrigan, Wolverine, Dormammu, Viper, Spencer, Nova, Dante, Strider, Phoenix, Strange, Amaterasu.

Hell I seriously doubt that characters like Strange, Ammy, Dante would be banned.

Also I would want to see stats on the number of bans... just to which character is the most hated among the top players.

Rhapsody

Banned
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
Rhapsody should be next. Because I went to the most recent page of the fighting game thread, went whirrrr with my mouse wheel a few times, and that's who came up on my screen.

True or not, this still caught me off guard lol

Top Bottom