• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 13-19 | Stream Monster Yearly: Evolution 2015

crash-14

From my view it killed the back & forth momentum that was going on between both players until that pause. It just messed up the flow of the match.

exactly. It also killed crowd and spectators vibe... Not the best conclusion for this Evo that reached perfection...

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
so how do you know if Gamerbee was going to comeback because he was losing. He didn't comeback in the first round of that game/

I edited my post cause that made no sense. He wasn't necessarily losing, so what Momochi got the first hit? That isn't a deciding factor to who is going to win when its that early in the match. All I'm saying is the pressure was more on GB with his situation compared to Momochi. If you look at it from both of the player's perspectives, GamerBee's situation is more stressful.

Edit:

Don't make me have to list it out now in case any one asks.

The stick malfunction was disadvantageous more to Momochi than Gamerbee. If Gamerbee had won that match then there would be a lot more controversy over that match.

This makes sense lol, I completely forgot that this was the case. This would have been one of most controversial EVO wins to date. Mix in with all the points brought beforehand, it was a mix and the pause killed it.

Dahbomb

The stick malfunction was disadvantageous more to Momochi than Gamerbee. If Gamerbee had won that match then there would be a lot more controversy over that match.

why am i not surprised

also I asked in the evo thread but thats just Momochi conspiracies right now. are there any PS4/XB1 sticks yet

Yes, most are Madcatz stateside, but I believe Hori has some as well. Would imagine other smaller groups have at least one released by now as well. But Madcatz and Hori would be the brands to bet on.

Madcatz has a PS3/PS4 compatible stick, and pure PS4 ones. So does Hori (just checked) theirs seem to be a bit cheaper overall by about $50 or so, not counting used.

Um, so I hear there was a pause controversy during SF4 finals? Can someone point me to where I can read up on a summary or something? :O I understand it was a match between Gamerbee and Momochi, and it involved Razer and Madcatz somehow.

Unlucky

Um, so I hear there was a pause controversy during SF4 finals? Can someone point me to where I can read up on a summary or something? :O I understand it was a match between Gamerbee and Momochi, and it involved Razer and Madcatz somehow.
Momochi, who uses a Razer stick, had his controller disconnect during the first round of the final game of grand finals. Evo judges had Gamerbee take the round. Madcatz provided a replacement stick I guess

Edit: Second round actually, thanks Gentle Rodriguez

Momochi, who uses a Razer stick, had his controller disconnect during the first round of the final game of grand finals. Evo judges had Gamerbee take the round. Madcatz provided a replacement stick I guess

Second round, Momochi was up a round, which complicated everything(but it probably wouldn't change the outcome had it been the beginning of round one).

sephi22

Marvel was 183k when I checked (around GF). I'm not sure if that was a leftover number from melee that didn't update or if my twitch was updating the viewer count and it was really 183k. But I swear I saw 183k

Edit: Second round actually, thanks Gentle Rodriguez

Oh, thanks for explaining. That sounds like a real conundrum, I'm gonna have to make time to watch the VoD to see what more went down.

Fighting Games Weekly | This is the moment of the disconnection. Yes, Momochi had a slight life lead. However if you read what was currently happening, they are moving towards Momochi's corner. Gamerbee was bearing down on him with st.RH while Momochi is playing footsies and backing up not wanting to commit to anything crazy. It's probably at this point that Gamerbee is putting Momochi right where he wants him and boom disconnection. Add this on top of the fact that Gamerbee had to fight out of his mind in LOsers to get to this point and a disconnection? It completely fucked him who was already more exhausted and tired mentally from the long set with Infiltration. I wholeheartedly believe that Gamerbee was going to win. The people who like Momochi are just going to say that Gamerbee fucked himself after the disconnection and that it's his fault he didn't win.

Zissou

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";172440260]FGW | No Gods or Kings, Only Tears[/QUOTE]

Vote for this.

Stuff about the brand of the stick that malfunctioned is stupid.

Dahbomb

Top 8 duration for all the games (I counted from the time the first match started to the last match ended, none of the pre top 8 hype video stuff or post EVO win celebration)

Persona 4: 1 hour 56 minutes
Smash 4: 2 hours 2 minutes
Killer Instinct: 1 hour 52 minutes
Tekken 7: 2 hours 52 minutes
GGXrd: 1 hour 42 minutes
MKX: 1 hour 30 minutes
Smash Melee: 2 hours 7 minutes
UMVC3: 2 hours 7 minutes
USF4: 2 hour 56 minutes

If it weren't for the extended breaks and the stick problem, Tekken 7 would've been the longest game at EVO but USF4 edges it out (also it was 3/5 in Top 8).

MKX was the shortest top 8 game at just barely making at one and a half hour.

He actually wasn't that bad this EVO.
His UMVC3 video is hilarious in retrospect... all those names and none of them in top 8!

The Light

I definitely agree with you about this. The funny thing is we as spectators can look back on that pause and assume many what-ifs such as:
1. Maybe Gamerbee could have made a comeback if the pause didn't happen as both were more susceptible to mistakes with tension being so high.
2. Maybe Momochi was able to compose himself more during that small break.
3. Maybe Gamerbee was already so tense from being at the edge of defeat so many times every that when the pause happened it finally made him crack.

While it can be fun to theorize what would happen with the malfunction some people should accept the reality of how it ended instead of using it to discredit a player.

crash-14

Marvel was 183k when I checked (around GF). I'm not sure if that was a leftover number from melee that didn't update or if my twitch was updating the viewer count and it was really 183k. But I swear I saw 183k

Probably a leftover

From someone that actually count them

Guilty Gear - 120,6k
Mortal Kombat - 188,9k
Smash Melee - 207,3k
Marvel vs Capcom - 164,9k
Ultra Street Fighter 4 - 223,4k

Did ultra with the dama reach 223k? I saw 215k

Sayah

Top 8 duration for all the games (I counted from the time the first match started to the last match ended, none of the pre top 8 hype video stuff or post EVO win celebration)

Persona 4: 1 hour 56 minutes
Smash 4: 2 hours 2 minutes
Killer Instinct: 1 hour 52 minutes
Tekken 7: 2 hours 52 minutes
GGXrd: 1 hour 42 minutes
MKX: 1 hour 30 minutes
Smash Melee: 2 hours 7 minutes
UMVC3: 2 hours 7 minutes
USF4: 2 hour 56 minutes

If it weren't for the extended breaks and the stick problem, Tekken 7 would've been the longest game at EVO but USF4 edges it out (also it was 3/5 in Top 8).

MKX was the shortest top 8 game at just barely making at one and a half hour.

His UMVC3 video is hilarious in retrospect... all those names and none of them in top 8!

I don't know if other games had this but Tekken 7 had literally every person doing a button check. Plus that reset. It went back and forth up to the very final final round.

Probably a leftover

From someone that actually count them

Guilty Gear - 120,6k
Mortal Kombat - 188,9k
Smash Melee - 207,3k
Marvel vs Capcom - 164,9k
Ultra Street Fighter 4 - 223,4k

Did ultra with the dama reach 223k? I saw 215k

So much for Marvel being the most viewed game. Still impressive numbers.

Top Bottom