• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 29 - August 4 | Obey your thirst

kirblar

Well, he could at least say whether it affects the games themselves, or just events.
Max is connected/trusted enough that we shouldn't need to ask for receipts here.

This is clearly a huge issue for sponsors (with good reason) and needs to be reigned in.

Dahbomb

I think the worst case scenario is some fighting game company (namely Capcom) pulling the stops on production for unnamed fighting game. That would be something that affects a much larger portion of people.

I doubt it's that big, I still think it's something E sports related.

smurfx

get some go again
the biggest thing capcom can do is start caring about who gets to stream their games. if a tourney allows shitty behavior on stream then they ban them from broadcasting capcom games.

El Sloth

Banned
Re: Skullgirls PC specs

For reference, I have a laptop with a Intel GMA 4500 integrated card(so worse than the HD 3000/4000s in current Intel CPUs).

It can run SG at 60FPS stable if I cut the resolution to lower than 720p--outside of playing against the arcade boss.

Generally, if you have a dedicated graphics card and your computer isn't over a decade old, SG should run fine.
Sorry, didn't see this.

The primary problem is my video card (copy&pasted: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family). The error I get when trying to boot the beta is, "Your video card does not support Vertex/Pixel Shader 3.0."

Yeah

It's soooooo great how the few at the top ruin it for everyone else.

Not.

Talked about this a bit with my dad since he's now starting to get (slightly) more into the FGC since Evo. He said that all tournaments should be random select the whole way through.

That doesn't sound like such a bad idea almost.

Kadey strats

jbug617

Banned
I think the worst case scenario is some fighting game company (namely Capcom) pulling the stops on production for unnamed fighting game. That would be something that affects a much larger portion of people.

I think it's more about events and not games.

F2P Street Fighter and/or Marvel vs Capcom cancelled because of Chris G.

Sorry, didn't see this.

The primary problem is my video card (copy&pasted: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family). The error I get when trying to boot the beta is, "Your video card does not support Vertex/Pixel Shader 3.0."

Yeah

is your laptop 6 years old like mine ;_;

I do see where you're coming from, but now is the part where we need a shred of faith that people in power (Organizers/Top Players) set examples, especially on behavior and respect for the viewers/audience watching. The audiences watching aren't just stream monsters anymore, especially if something makes front page news Kotaku and is on other feeds all the time.

Yeah I get that. But do the top players get that?

And judging by Chris G twitter, I have no reason to expect anything will change.

You tellin me ChrisG got Red Earth x JoJo Canceled? ,The one rumored to use the CPS-3 Board?

LovE Is Over

MrWizard

Evo Co-Founder
You think sponsors want to be part of an event where the integrity is compromised? It makes everyone across the board look bad.

You guys can't even fathom how bad this is right now, and at this rate, the FGC will be done in the near future.

alstein

There's a reason I would post it here, and not directed at the top players. As folks like the ones that frequent these forums are the ones that have a similar interest as I. And it's you who could be directly affected by what's happening.

How would we be directly impacted? I don't think most of us benefit from the money thrown at the FGC, it's just the top players who benefit. Pot bonuses and sponsorships really don't matter to pot monster-level players.

When it comes to the games themselves, I assume that it's just a business decision on sales vs cost.

No matter how much of an idiot certain top players are, I don't think it impacts the sales of fighting games.

Also, I don't think the lack of sponsor money would hurt attendance at tournies- I really don't. 90% of the folks that go pay on their own dime for the experience of playing fighting games- the other stuff is fluff. I'd worry if this led to the cancellation of actual games, but I don't see it.

I can see why it's a nightmare for the folks who are involved in the running of Evo/majors, but this can be survived.

If the intent of this was to drum up the beat to get rid of top player idiocy with real enforcement, I do support that. You can't have individual players be bigger than the game for a scene to grow. Right now certain top players are harming the FGC more than helping- and unless they change their ways, the FGC would be better off without them.

Infinite

This gif is somewhat appropriate for the current conversation
tumblr_mq7pvwL4w21ru046vo1_400.gif

kirblar

I'll say what I think "bigger" might mean- The Capcom Cup.

In MTG, they enforce legitimacy (because they know players will split) by adding pro player points to the 16-man invitational that caps the year that let participants get a head start for the next year. This ensure, even if they're splitting the cash, that the players will still be playing an honest game to try and get points for themselves.

Capcom has no such way of doing this for the Capcom Cup due to the lack of an Organized Play structure for their games. This presents a problem.

smurfx

get some go again
You think sponsors want to be part of an event where the integrity is compromised? It makes everyone across the board look bad.

You guys can't even fathom how bad this is right now, and at this rate, the FGC will be done in the near future.
alright this makes me think capcom is gonna stop letting people broadcast capcom fighting games.

Sorry, didn't see this.

Yeah

Yeah... you're on the borderline. I think PS 2.0 is supposed to be the actual cutoff, but I can't make any guarantees.

I'd send that message to bugreport [at] labzerogames.com anyway, though.

PackItUp
The FGC...we had a good run

Thx ChrisG

jbug617

Banned

It's over.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
My secret grandmaster plan to make it so only anime games can be streamed is unfolding quite well.

People should stop acting like fucking 12 year olds and pull their heads out of their asses

Well, time to move to DotA full time. It really sucks as it stands, hopefully streamers continue to enforce shit like Spooky did at Big Two last night. If people want to split then they're only going to get bad publicity for it and I think it's fucking ridiculous that the people bitching about the lack of money in the FGC are the ones doing this.

That's a bit out there.

edit: ok maybe not that out there. I never did like Chris G.

Maybe when it comes to getting on that level of eports and all its exposure and legitimacy, but best believe we will still be playing these games until our hands give.

Like I said before, we need better leaders in the community, not just people who can teach combos and tech but people who can guide these players in the right direction outside of the game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I would post a GIF right now, but this is just getting sad.

I can't even just blame Chris G for a systemic problem that certainly isn't new, but for some reason VxG happened to be the last straw.

El Sloth

Banned
is your laptop 6 years old like mine ;_;
Almost, yeah. It's from '08. My laptop is a shitty no-frills HP Pavilion laptop though, so I wouldn't worry too much unless it's also an HP laptop.
Yeah... you're on the borderline. I think PS 2.0 is supposed to be the actual cutoff, but I can't make any guarantees.

I'd send that message to bugreport [at] labzerogames.com anyway, though.
It's a hardware issue, so I don't see what good it'll do, but I'll consider it, thanks.

Anth0ny

I just like looking at this from a wrestling fan perspective

Chris G is the ultimate heel. Plays the boring characters/playstyle and splits/fucks around all the time. dude is killing esports.

someone needs to step their shit up and stop him. and become the people's champ in the process!

LOL you think Capcom cares about a bunch of 20 to 40 year olds spliting hundreds of dollars. That doesn't even cover Ono's cosplay bill.

kirblar

I would post a GIF right now, but this is just getting sad.

I can't even just blame Chris G for a systemic problem that certainly isn't new, but for some reason VxG happened to be the last straw.
Because Capcom spent money to get their crew to VxG, and Haunts has been working with TOs to get Capcom-subsidized streaming services.

Almost, yeah. It's from '08. My laptop is a shitty no-frills HP Pavilion laptop though, so I wouldn't worry too much unless it's also an HP laptop.

It's a hardware issue, so I don't see what good it'll do, but I'll consider it, thanks.

I believe that requiring PS 3.0 at startup may be a bug. That's the part I'm not sure about, so I encourage you to put the info out there.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
LOL you think Capcom cares about a bunch of 20 to 40 year olds spliting hundreds of dollars. That doesn't even cover Ono's cosplay bill.
If their games are the reason behind the issues it makes them look bad. Now it's not like Capcom has been great overall this gen, but it's not like they had to do the usf4 thing the way they are. If they view the community as poisonous why would they want to be involved with them. Let's not even start with outside sponsor stuff for events.

Top Bottom