• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 1-7 | QAisTopTier

Azure J

I'm enjoying this thread right now.

I'm not going to lie, this weekend (or honestly from whenever Jack-O's info dropped to now) has been some of the best FGW ass FGW-GAF in a long time. That said, I'm really not in a rush to see the thread get shut down. :lol

Anne

FGW is gonna end up in the dead zone at this rate lmao.

You can't blame this one on Anime or Skullgirls. Until now we've been the only guys actually talking about the game.

#nottoday

Yeah. TBH if not for the anime/Oneida FGW would've been in community a long time ago.

Shackzam

This is a fair observation. Some characters might not change too differently, but in those critical moments those buttons might come in handy and it's more than just normal crouching/standing or special moves too. Let's take Parasoul for instance. Six buttons gives her a lot of room to work with. She has a total of 4 command normals (f.lp, f.mp, f.hp and b.hk). You might be able to squeeze those moves into a hypothetical 4 button Parasoul, but current Parasoul's scheme is easy to understand. She has 3 punch buttons, 3 kick buttons and she has 4 command normals with only one being a kick cmd normal. If you sit someone down and calmly talk them through her it should a pretty intuitive process to explain her command normal game. With 4 buttons she'd have punch command normals on buttons that normally kick or vice versa. I think it ends up being a problem similar to the one with specials where it's easy to get mixed up.

I concede that six buttons aren't really necessary, but I think they work for slightly different reasons in SG's case considering how special stacked characters are, how restrictive the current IPS system+undizzy bar would be on a 4 button fighter and how surprisingly useful that obscure normal might be in just the right matchup. My apologies if this just comes off as rambling. There is a reason you don't see me rattling off combo notation, discussing game metas or putting up combo videos. I'm more of a player, so this sort of discussion is a bit beyond me.
I was teaching someone that doesn't really touch fighting games and the 6 button format didn't really come up to much once you explain how the chain combos work. This person only wanted to learn the bare minimum of the game, but they were able to beat other people just mashing buttons because they just picked up the game. It was astonishing how my friend was able to consistently beat people just by know how the chain combos worked. People that I try and teach sf4 to always end up getting mashed out the first few games when starting out.

I'm just going from a base level here, but the six button format seems like a very intuitive in skullgirls once explained to people correctly. I don't feel like the 6 buttons isn't unnecessary and actual adds more options for characters.

jbug617

Banned
via Jiyuna
https://twitter.com/jiyunaJP/status/607712608469184512

CG8HZImU8AAT1SL.jpg

CG8HZItU8AECnjr.jpg

CG8HZIxUYAAqVFO.jpg

Swarna

In-game and driver v-sync settings won't do anything for windowed mode. If you've got any Windows Aero themes turned on (it's on by default) it will eat some performance. It also v-syncs your entire screen, including your windowed apps. Right-click your desktop>Personalize to see if you're using an Aero theme. I use it but I have it disable itself whenever I run a game.

Vice

I usually just have vsync turned off. Should I turn it on for windowed?

It might be a resolution thing then. Running games in windowed mode almost always caused framerate problems for me, so putting it into a lower resolution, or turning someother things down, might help. try it at 720p or turning off AA and see if that helps.

But for real though I thought the furry thing with sonic fox was a joke. So are there just going to be furries at every fighting game tournament he goes to now?

PL is a complainer but he has a point with the coaches though. I've seen matches where dudes have like 3 different coaches cycle through.

Dahbomb

funny thing is, league of legend is all about getting the right coach apparently lol.
Having a coach just for drafting is huge for MOBAs. I know that DOTA doesn't allow coaches in the booths anymore.

What sorta advice do people give when coaching? Like look out for the reset or don't go in or what?
Most player tendencies and habits that are easier to pick up when you aren't playing. That and general strategy/game plan tips.

Having a coach just for drafting is huge for MOBAs. I know that DOTA doesn't allow coaches in the booths anymore.

in league, coaches are literally breathing behind players' neck during pick/ban phase. lol.

edit

Coaching is pretty huge in fighting games as well. Infiltration + laugh was pretty unbeatable.

What sorta advice do people give when coaching? Like look out for the reset or don't go in or what?

"The 2nd hit of that string is a low"
"There's a hole between the 3rd and 4th hits of that string"
"That feels plus on block but it's minus"

You know, stuff the players should already know. Or stuff that should legitimately make them lose.

Anne

Stuff like "notice how the opponent responds with this, how this situation is happening, this is part of their gameplan you're eating" or filling in char knowledge gaps.

I've been bouncing out the idea of having like a line drawn or something for stages/stations that other players can't cross, with the exception of like one coach or something. I don't oppose the idea, but it crowds things and causes problems, causes tension when pop offs go up, etc.

I'm not a huge fan of it but personal space and noise and people rushing up has been a problem lately.

In-game and driver v-sync settings won't do anything for windowed mode. If you've got any Windows Aero themes turned on (it's on by default) it will eat some performance. It also v-syncs your entire screen, including your windowed apps. Right-click your desktop>Personalize to see if you're using an Aero theme. I use it but I have it disable itself whenever I run a game.

That really shouldn't drop the performance by any noticeable ammount. Not to mention that the desktop vsync is on without it, because people would freak out if they moved their window and it started tearing.

Tripon

It would be too hard to do away with though. You van alwYs coach through texting if in person coaching got banned anyway
A Text message is different from a guy next to you that will talk for minutes between each match in a set. I would argue coaching breaks the pace and momentum of the set and favors the person receiving the coaching. It is a stalling tactic and TOs need to aware of coaching and keep it on a strict time limit and who is the official coach. I seen a whole crew advise a player once and the coaching took longer than the actual matches.

Vice

A Text message is different from a guy next to you that will talk for minutes between each match in a set. I would argue coaching breaks the pace and momentum of the set and favors the person receiving the coaching. It is a stalling tactic and TOs need to aware of coaching and keep it on a strict time limit and who is the official coach. I seen a whole crew advise a player once and the coaching took longer than the actual matches.
I can see a time limit working. But coaching itself is fine, the worst experience though is when players have a hoard of cheerleaders talking shit during a game, personally.

The yomi players will not shut the fuck up when there coaching one of their players while I was playing them. This was mid match in the bracket at combobreaker, it was hard to think with how loud they were giving their advice. You don't see it on stream to that degree, but on the non-stream set ups it gets annoying as fuck.

lol. no offense to arturo or nerdjosh, but when my friend played nerd josh in uniel. he beat him the first game in loser finals, then the 2nd two games arturo coached josh during the matches (not just inbetween) and told josh to block high and stuff which led him to win loser finals.

Was pretty funny b/c we joked that he lost to arturo in winners finals and then hologram arturo in loser finals in pools.

also my other friend was the guy who played jibrill in pools in umvc3. he went up 2-0 against jibrill on stream, and then you see jibrill take like a 3 minute break and win 3-2. Was a hella long ass time.

Yeah. TBH if not for the anime/Oneida FGW would've been in community a long time ago.
The rare KOF types, VF types and the more vocal anime fans are a godsend. They definitely keep the discussion a bit more varied. Too bad we don't see as much Soulcalibur or Tekken talk unless there is a tournament going.
I was teaching someone that doesn't really touch fighting games and the 6 button format didn't really come up to much once you explain how the chain combos work. This person only wanted to learn the bare minimum of the game, but they were able to beat other people just mashing buttons because they just picked up the game. It was astonishing how my friend was able to consistently beat people just by know how the chain combos worked. People that I try and teach sf4 to always end up getting mashed out the first few games when starting out.

I'm just going from a base level here, but the six button format seems like a very intuitive in skullgirls once explained to people correctly. I don't feel like the 6 buttons isn't unnecessary and actual adds more options for characters.
Six buttons feels fine when we're talking about Parasoul, Bella, Squigly or Robo, but I definitely don't know where to being when it is someone like Painwheel lol. Robo and Parasoul's simplicity shone through particularly when I was in an online training room with Sloth earlier.

Part of me thinks Robo could really blow up more for newbies if they pay attention because she is really similar to Parasoul in the intuitiveness department. All her beams are qcf variations on punch buttons, all her spinning attack specials are qcf variations on kick buttons and all her cat head specials are once again qcb variations of kick buttons. All Parasoul tear shots are b+f punch button charge specials, all DPs are d+u kick button charge specials, all soldiers are b+f kick button charge specials and her only quarter circle specials are tear drops with qcb variations on kick buttons. Squigs is similar and Bella doesn't even have kick button specials. Almost all of Bella's tricks are in command grabs if they're not qcf punch button specials (reflect, DP and cere-copter multihit). Even Valentine's dead cross, vial hazard, flew shot and savage bypass work under the same principle.

Not every game should have a six button fighter and I'd dare say most shouldn't, but when it clicks, it definitely clicks. The move (both normal and special) list would be much smaller, but I'd (and surely Alstein) would definitely play a 4 button fighter that used all of SG's mechanics. Petghost would probably be pretty happy with that too.

Swarna

That really shouldn't drop the performance by any noticeable ammount. Not to mention that the desktop vsync is on without it, because people would freak out if they moved their window and it started tearing.

Yeah my bad. All of what I said was true for Vista. I just tested and aero doesn't seem to be tied to v-sync anymore.

Top Bottom