• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 1-7 | QAisTopTier

The rare KOF types, VF types and the more vocal anime fans are a godsend. They definitely keep the discussion a bit more varied. Too bad we don't see as much Soulcalibur or Tekken talk unless there is a tournament going.

because Tekken players are at work? That's how that joke work?. And there are competitive Soul Calibur players?

Shackzam

This dude used to coach me mid match by telling me exactly what move to do next. And the other guy can hear what he's saying too, so now he's expecting it. Only useful if you don't follow their advice most of the time. And this other guy would commentate his own matches "I think he's about to dash forward and throw!"
That, I could deal with. It's when there's three of them and you don't know which one he's listening to. I just wanted drown them out, but they were loud with the three of them there.

zlatko

Banned
Gato is love, his design is simple yet effective. Just the way i like it. I don't know how to make a hq avatar of Gato tho.

this mkx finals seems hype, shame it keeps freezing.

There's a thread stickied at the top of Off-Topic Community.

Take a photo and link/imbed into that thread and someone will create a nice avatar for you. "GAF REQUEST AN AVATAR THREAD" or something like that.

That's where I get all my nice ones since I suck with photo editing big time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gat...g&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&safe=active&ssui=on#imgrc=_

Here's a ton of awesome photos of Gato. Pick the one you love the most, and post in that thread. :D

I hope Gato comes back in a Garou 2 or a KoF14. I'm all over whichever fighter he ends up in next. He was last in what, KoF12 or KoF11? The additions they did to him were so fantastic and he flowed so well.

No character's play like him in SF universe either which is a shame.

SonicFox winning with super-smart play. Caltrops damage adding up over time, great mixups, and a hefty amount of neutral reads.

A big indicator of his intelligence is how he dealt with fisticuffs johnny. For those of you that don't know:

The string is Back 121212... etc. No matter where Johnny stops, he is -3. After I believe 6 blocked attacks it is no longer a true pokestring, but most of the armor moves in the game are too low and will be caught by the next two punches.

Since armor is unlikely to work, you have a few choices:

1) Continue blocking until he pushes himself out. This is difficult because you aren't sure when the string will end, and he may opt to go for some of his other choices. Johnny's most likely tools to use other than the Fisticuffs string are down 4, a low which gives great frame advantage on hit, or forward 2, an overhead which grants a full combo.

2) Attempt to read when Johnny will stop his string, and time a d1 or your fastest poke. Very, very risky, because if you let go of block at the wrong time, you get fisted. Or Caged. Whatever.

But what SonicFox did was:

3) Do not challenge the fisticuffs, just block them. Wait for when Johnny will do F2 or D4, both of which leave Johnny at frame disadvantage when blocked, and mixup your escapes.

zlatko

Banned
he just won 3-2 in losers to win his first tournament after not winning combo breaker...

Don't shoot the messenger. I was just translating.

I don't think he'll win Evo for MKX this year. I could see him in top 8 without question, and I can see him even in grand finals. Gut however tells me someone else will take it.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
what does this post mean

The era of Sonic Fox won't be stopped in MKX. The kid is hands down the best MKX player out.

Though I guess people will say GGA Dizzy beat him but we all know that guy was employed by NRS and he was using and abusing the broken F12 string which Erron Black had no real answer to till they normalised it.

he just won 3-2 in losers to win his first tournament after not winning combo breaker...

How many times have NRS players on TYM cried for his character to be nerfed with NRS going through with the nerfs? LOL. I bet right now I can go on TYM and see people asking for more nerfs.

Now SonicFox can take more of that pot money (TCW, ELS, etc) and go home and play Skullgirls his main game.

Sonic Fox is using a midtier character and not to mention the Yomi guys all they do is play each other and train day in day out while SonicFox does not have access to such luxury (School student and all that)

I'll back SonicFox $500 Paypal bet right now to win the next MKX Major.

Dahbomb

Though I guess people will say GGA Dizzy beat him but we all know that guy was employed by NRS and he was using and abusing the broken F12 string which Erron Black had no real answer to till they normalised it.
Here we go again....

Osu 16 Bit how does the NRS community view Sonic Fox. Do they think he only wins because of gimmicks?

It depends on the person, we're not a hive mind. I would say like any dominate player it's a mix. Some say it's all him, some say it's his character, some say it's the game, and some reasonable people say it's all these things coming together.

Personally, having played him several times, I think he is an excellent player.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
It depends on the person, we're not a hive mind. I would say like any dominate player it's a mix. Some say it's all him, some say it's his character, some say it's the game, and some reasonable people say it's all these things coming together.

Personally, having played him several times, I think he is an excellent player.

Erron Black is not even top 10.

If it was his character where are all the other players winning with him? I can already name two different Raiden's that won majors.

People are smoking crack if they don't think he is amazing player, but sadly you always have MK and Injustice players that discredit his skill like idiots.

rocK`

Banned
Couple of things.

Dizzy bringing tech in - that shit was no where near when Keeper Jin was unleashed on America, or like when Justin played against RX for the first time. I don't buy it.

Second - Johnny string makes the game look like Omega Mode. Kinda sad, but I've heard it's on the nerf list.

Finally, new thread name should be FGW | Put O.Gen in MKX

Vice

If it was his character where are all the other players winning with him? I can already name two different Raiden's that won majors.

People are smoking crack if they don't think he is amazing player, but sadly you always have MK and Injustice players that discredit his skill like idiots.

His character definitely contributes. E.Black may not be top 10, but he really suits Sonic Fox's playstyle. He picked the right character for how he wants to play, which is always a big factor. Tier placement isn't always as important as how well a character clicks for a player.

AAK

The rare KOF types, VF types and the more vocal anime fans are a godsend. They definitely keep the discussion a bit more varied. Too bad we don't see as much Soulcalibur or Tekken talk unless there is a tournament going.

Can you please give me examples of VF centric discussions that take place which don't take place for SC and Tekken?

I don't know where you're getting this statistic that VF is a far more represented 3D game than the others. FGW has always been a 2D centered discussion thread. I can personally attest that I tried to instill a lot of Tekken discussion back in 2012 but often it was just ignored and drowned out by (then Marvel) and other 2D game talk. GAF has plenty of Tekken activity and the TTT2 OT thread is consistently active.

Tekken also plays completely differently from every other fighting game out there with being the only game where one mechanic trumps everything. Hence a lot of the discussion doesn't transfer towards it very nicely.

The number of players winning with a character is not necessarily evidence of their position on the tier list.

Every strong player is going to have critics discrediting them. That is not exclusive to NRS games. Regardless, many consider him the best.

rocK`

Banned
His character definitely;y contributes. E.Black may not be top 10, but he really suits Sonic Fox's playstyle. He picked the right character for how he wants to play, which is always a big factor. Tier placement isn't always as important as how well a character clicks for a player.

Right - but it's almost undoubtedly going to be "do you carry your character or does your character carry you"

In this case, SF carries Erron, without a doubt.

I'm reasonably sure Erron Black is a top 10 character.

Sonic Fox said Batgirl was the best in Injustice(which I don't actually think is true). So it's not like he needs his character downplayed for props.

Can you please give me examples of VF centric discussions that take place which don't take place for SC and Tekken?

I don't know where you're getting this statistic that VF is a far more represented 3D game than the others. FGW has always been a 2D centered discussion thread. I can personally attest that I tried to instill a lot of Tekken discussion back in 2012 but often it was just ignored and drowned out by (then Marvel) and other 2D game talk. GAF has plenty of Tekken activity and the TTT2 OT thread is consistently active.
You and MikeBreezy92 sound angry that I'd dare to like more Namco game discussion in a weekly fighting game thread. If you feel that way so strongly you can simply ignore my post and continue to post in the OT. I just try to bring SG discussion outside the OT because I feel it would bring in new people and I like hearing about good games from other companies too. If anyone is the king of good 3D fighters it's Namco, right?
Tekken also plays completely differently from every other fighting game out there with being the only game where one mechanic trumps everything. Hence a lot of the discussion doesn't transfer towards it very nicely.
Tekken wouldn't catch half the flak anime or skullgirls does and it can't be that bad a mechanic if Tekken can continue to be played and bought worldwide in such huge numbers.

Like I said in the TTT2OT MKX plays like a 2D Tekken.

AAK

I don't know why you're being so defensive there. I'm just posting the reality of the state of discussions here.

Like I said in the TTT2OT MKX plays like a 2D Tekken.

In some ways I agree.... but with Tekken's philosophy of movement beating everything for those who learn the execution of backdash cancelling, it's a huge factor for me when comparing Tekken to other games.

Nah just joking...

But you should know why no one talks about Tekken and SC....
Tell me because I never got into 3D games like I did 2D. I probably would have had SC3 not gone PS2 exclusive, but it did and I kinda lost interest in 3D. Virtua Fighter wasn't even a blip on the radar and Tekken never had a Nintendo preference... at least I think it didn't.
I don't know why you're being so defensive there. I'm just posting the reality of the state of discussions here.
Something about you and MikeBree92's posts came off as defensive to me and I wanted to shut that down as soon as possible. I didn't want to spend an entire page explaining myself over an innocuous request about namco games in FGW.

Mike said I apparently know why no one wants to play or see SC/Tekken and you tell me there is some mystery mechanic in Tekken that is off putting. What mystery does SC or Tekken possess mechanically that makes them unappealing. I seriously want to know.

Dahbomb

Again? This is the first time I've heard anyone on this forum say that like they believed it
Are you serious? Just in the last thread people were getting upset that Dizzy won the tournament despite being NRS employed. There were people who said that testers should be banned from tournaments.

And this all started back in the Injustice day so it's certainly not a new thing that people believe (ie. testers having huge advantage in tournaments).

Tekken also plays completely differently from every other fighting game out there with being the only game where one mechanic trumps everything.
Wait a minute... what mechanic trumps everything in Tekken? Unless I am mistaking what you said and you meant to say "everything can be countered by a different mechanic in the game".

GeoNeo

I disagree.
His character definitely;y contributes. E.Black may not be top 10, but he really suits Sonic Fox's playstyle. He picked the right character for how he wants to play, which is always a big factor. Tier placement isn't always as important as how well a character clicks for a player.

Well his Tanya is already amazing as well he is gonna really brew up a storm with her once she is allowed at majors.

I'm reasonably sure Erron Black is a top 10 character.

Sonic Fox said Batgirl was the best in Injustice(which I don't actually think is true). So it's not like he needs his character downplayed for props.

Well I believe he is just outside top 10

1st Raiden 2nd Quan 3rd D'Vorah 4th Kung Jin 5th Cassie 6th Kung Lao 7th Jax 8th Sonya 9th Scorp 10th Sub-Zero (Hi Tom Brady <3)

Any which way compared to some of these other characters Erron Black's dirt is pretty damn tame especially after the nerfs NRS gave him.

AAK

Wait a minute... what mechanic trumps everything in Tekken? Unless I am mistaking what you said and you meant to say "everything can be countered by a different mechanic in the game".

You can cancel any piece of movement in Tekken into a block unlike other fighting games.

Tell me because I never got into 3D games like I did 2D. I probably would have had SC3 not gone PS2 exclusive, but it did and I kinda lost interest in 3D. Virtua Fighter wasn't even a blip on the radar and Tekken never had a Nintendo preference... at least I think it didn't.

If its not 2D its not talked about. Simple as that. VF gets a pass because its legit.

Are you serious? Just in the last thread people were getting upset that Dizzy won the tournament despite being NRS employed. There were people who said that testers should be banned from tournaments.

And this all started back in the Injustice day so it's certainly not a new thing that people believe (ie. testers having huge advantage in tournaments).

That's disappointing.

Okay, lets ban all testers. Starting with Chris G.

You can cancel any piece of movement in Tekken into a block unlike other fighting games.
Sounds like roman cancels, but strictly for movement. Is that what people perceive as "janky" or "stilted" movement in Tekken? That would explain a lot. A lot of people definitely don't like that.
FGW | we played a lot of skullgirls and virtua fighter for some reason
We could play more of the latter if we had a fully featured PC port.
If its not 2D its not talked about. Simple as that. VF gets a pass because its legit.
I don't really know how to respond to this. VSav gets praise but it'd be almost invisible in FGW if it weren't for Rotanibor and we got more discussion now, but sometimes in the last few years I've felt like a hobo on a soapbox when talking Skullgirls here. I just kept it to myself and kept posting. Sometimes you just have to put yourself out there. Just be glad you aren't anime.

I have no problem with you defending sonic fox as a good player.

I do have a problem with you bitching about Dizzy being a tester for a game and implying that is why he is good at the game.

Guess Dizzy must of been on the NRS payroll in 2013 when he won evo. Abusing shit before it got normalized! Them testers!

Perro

Which was SonicFox first FG?? He's godlike.
Why are people talking about top10 for a game that's not even 1 year old????

GeoNeo

I disagree.
The salt was real with P.L regarding SonicFox lol.

nBHMiva.jpg

45SR6vh.jpg

Top Bottom